The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from the boring borough. Off to see Kate Bush live tonight. Colour me excited. Back still being slow to recover. Diverticulitis on the run. I've often wondered why in Canada a run of antibiotics is always a minimum of 10 days and 7 in the UK. It would be interesting to correlate any differences in disease resistant strains and reinfections.

Jock: I'm really crap at written sympathy. I do know how you and your family feel. Been there many times. Will be there again many more times. It never gets easier either. A good cry, a good hug, and a good cuppa seems to dull the sadness for a while.

Trev: Pete said it best. Trust  your instincts. If it were me........ No brainer express to San Diego.

Not much else happening, so I'll shut up and get on with work. Have a good one all.

Peace, Love, and Gravy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all

Another dull grey start but should brighten up later.

Hectic here after school yesterday with grandchildren but need to make the most of it as they're growing up too quickly. Tonight Gemma is visiting her sibling's school which she is hoping to go to next year. This should be cut & dried but officialdom has moved the goalposts so although her brother & sister are there and the school is a 5 minute walk from their house it has become a bit of a lottery. All fingers & toes will be crossed for her for the next few months until she finds out.

AndyB & Smiffy - there is more than a good chance that I will be going to the Woking show on Saturday (providing nothing else gets in the way) I've been assured that sharp implements will connect with parts of my anatomy if I buy any more locos! :girldevil: This will of course not make a blind bit of difference - I am an Englishman after all and will not give in to threats & coercion!  :nono:  

Have a good one,

Bob.

PS Andrew you have my sympathy as I've suffered from Diverticulitis on several occasions - most recently a couple of months ago.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Trev. Perhaps your UK family might even be thinking that they would like to do something different this year but don't want to deprive you of your visit. They might at this very moment be concerned about how they are going to tell you they are all going surfing in California for Christmas.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never mind all this talk of the P2.....a heron has just touched down on our lawn.Its visit proved fruitless,there being neither fish nor frog in our small water feature/pond.Never seen that before,the nearest habitat being the pools near Bretby Hall.That has crowned a year of the resurgence in bird life in our garden....meanwhile,my wife sleeps on .

• Like 4

Misty this morning but gorgeous weather yesterday. 15 deg at 6.30 this morning in the middle of September, amazing.

There was a potato blight warning on the radio this morning, I don't recall ever hearing that in the UK but it's not unusual on the weather forecast here. I did wonder what that meant you were supposed to do, so I googled it. Apparently the fungus hits the leaves first before spreading to the tubours and breaking off the leaves can save the spuds. I imagine commercial growers will spray their crops.

John

• RMweb Gold

Morning, the sun is shining, how much longer for I wonder

Morning all from the boring borough. Off to see Kate Bush live tonight. Colour me excited. Back still being slow to recover. Diverticulitis on the run. I've often wondered why in Canada a run of antibiotics is always a minimum of 10 days and 7 in the UK. It would be interesting to correlate any differences in disease resistant strains and reinfections.

Re the antibiotics, biggest issue is people prescribed a course but stopping mid way when they start to feel better, despite being told to finish the course. Enjoy watching Kate Bush quite envious.

Deciding whether or not to attack a rather large laurel bush today ie cutting its height down by 4-5ft. Will have to give it further thought over breakfast.

Enjoy your day

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No sun here, just grey!  Pretty normal for a Telfland morning at this time of year.

No time to meddle with railway matters today either in the garden or the workshop as I am required at Weston Park to assist in the erection of the air rifle range in preparation for the Midland Game Fair this coming weekend.

Such fun laying out all the targets and then having to connect pull strings for over 100 re-settable targets.

Personally i think tying the strings to the straw bales we use as a bench very bad form:  

What's wrong with a fully interlocked frame with a series of bell codes between each firing point

Ding ding....pellet entering section!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ian, may I just second that because I think this is something all of us should be doing more. No sense at all in anyone going karoshi, as the Japanese put it, and which I myself am certainly not ready for…

This is something that made me decide to take early retirement at 59. I had noticed that many of my colleagues who had carried on until 65, despite being able to retire earlier only survived less than 3 years after retirement. There were several reasons for my early retirement but that fact was always in the back of my mind.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Misty this morning but gorgeous weather yesterday. 15 deg at 6.30 this morning in the middle of September, amazing.

There was a potato blight warning on the radio this morning, I don't recall ever hearing that in the UK but it's not unusual on the weather forecast here. I did wonder what that meant you were supposed to do, so I googled it. Apparently the fungus hits the leaves first before spreading to the tubours and breaking off the leaves can save the spuds. I imagine commercial growers will spray their crops.

John

One of the things they use is dilute sulphuric acid. :O

The Irish have a chequered history with potatoes.

It doesn't help but pets often have a much shorter time to live than we do and a painless end is as much as we are able to offer them.

However, it can be completely devastating and most of us have been there.

I suppose it's part of the deal when we take them on.

The usual advice is to remember the happy times but I think that makes it worse.

Every good wish for the family.

I'm off now for an Interweb free two weeks - be good!

• Like 2

Morning. it's grey over Borough Market Junction today, and there was mizzle as I walked down to the station from the Fold in the Hill.

11+ day in the Boring Borough - strange to think that it's already 2 years since the eldest sat the exams. The younger is pleased because he doesn't have to be in school until 1 o'clock. He wasn't even awake when I left for work this morning.

Just a few days before I have to go to Barcelona - sadly it's on a tax conference so no time to see any of the place (I've been before and I like it).

Glad to see that various people are on the mend, and I hope that Jock is able to provide support for his brood. Presumably phrases like "pull yourself together it's only a dog" and "there are children having to do the eleven plus" and "never mind that, there's a referendum on" are not going to be much use at a time like this?  When my sister's guinea pig died when she was about ten my mum tearfully broke the news to her when she got home form school. "what are we going to have next?" was her matter of fact response. "nothing, if you're going to be like that" said my Mum, and there were no more pets in the household for a good 5 years....

• RMweb Premium

Morning from sunny north west Wales.

It doesn't help but pets often have a much shorter time to live than we do and a painless end is as much as we are able to offer them.

The usual advice is to remember the happy times but I think that makes it worse.

Have a really good holiday DD.  Hope you don't get withdrawal symptons  :crazy:  and if we're but a distant memory, I'm sure we'll all be thinkjing of you - with, maybe, a touch of envy.  :biggrin_mini:

Got a bit of a cold but, hopefully, I'll manage to model a bit more grass, today.

Have a good day all.

Polly

• Like 2

I too have a chequred history with potatoes.I tried making waffles the other night.   :jester:

GB, Smiffy, I may be there around mid-day, depending on household duties. 

As for photovoltaic cells, the efficiency is also down to the dust and dirt that settle on the surface of the panels. Well, there was a lot of dust at the FOB I was at a few years back.

One thing that always amuses me is the Grand Design type rebuilds where the "young couple dream of building an eco house." The first thing they do is seal the building up to prevent draughts and heat loss. I always want to see the film crew go back 3 months later and find the asphyxiated pair who didn't appreciate that houses need to breath to get rid of moisture and prevent mold. A friend of mine built himself a highly insulated shelter at the Burning Man festival some years back. He couldn't work out why the walls were running with water. :O   

Anyway, have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Irish 'potato famine' of the 1840's was a lot more widespread than most people realise. It affected parts of England and Scotland as well as Holland and Belgium. The Belgians were devastated by it as much as the Irish if not more so, the only difference being that it was the more rural (protestant) north that suffered more than the industrialised (catholic) south. The one saving grace was that unlike Ireland it was not as widespread and the population was more mobile.

Enjoy and be safe, we'll miss your humour!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Trev, the San Diego option looks favourite, but only you will know which option feels right... just go with your instincts. If you can't trust those, etc etc...

Edit: plus if you make the wrong choice, you won't be able to blame us... :P

Muggins used to get the blame for anything going wrong for one of two reasons [A] I was there or I was not......... :scratchhead:

Laurence

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I believe a treatment fro potato blight is Bordeaux Mixture (solution of copper sulphate?) but no doubt plenty of advice on the 'net.

Tough about daughter's Westie Jock, or (well known to some on here) cat Henry suffered acute kidney failure but after misdiagnosis by an Aussie vet or Canadian lad Mac got the diagnosis spot on and Henry spent several days of 'touch & go' in hospital; the night after we'd all been in to say a tearful farewell he bucked up but wouldn't eat, we solved that little problem by taking in his favourite food - roast duck - and he was back with us for a few more years.  He subsequently achieved even greater fame in the surgery by becoming 'Pet of The Month'  He was already famous because he would not go anywhere in a cat basket but always went to the surgery on his lead, which really confused the dogs.

Ah, now photo-voltaic - we've got the lot!  We had the hot water part of the job done when we built the house and I would commend it to anyone but what they don't tell you is that it needs an annual service but that is more than paid for by the savings on gas - which is needed for very little water heating from c.March - early October.  We had photo-electric panels added a few years ago so we get feed-in tariff plus some power (ours face west and they do generate what it says in the tin some of the time).  Overall they are economic as the return we get from the tariff deal is a good way in excess of what the bank interest would have been on the money we paid for them.  But borrowing to install them would have been totally uneconomic in my view as they would be past their design life before you get your money back.

The inverter is up in the roof but another RMweb member has panels with built-in inverters which seems a good idea to me.  BTW the biggest hurdle with them is that they only feed power when the inverter is detecting that the mains are live - that is done to prevent current feeding into the mains should they be disconnected (elsewhere) for any reason.

And Trev - get those 15 days in pdq and b*gger off to England thence the US of A for the rest of the year (that volcano in Iceland is still causing earthquakes ;) ).

Have a good day one & all

• Like 6

Morning all,

And thanks, as usual, to you all for the kind and supportive comments.

Trev, I think that AndrewC, Pete75C, Ian(Oldddudders) and Dom have really said it all but ultimately the decision has to be yours. Truth is, you'll have to decide whether you want the future, or the past! My own feeling for obvious reasons is with the 'carpe diem' school of thought. Best wishes which ever way you decide!

Pete75C and Big Jim highlighting the difficulties of night working makes me think of the shifts my daughter works. As a nursing sister she has to do her share of night duties but some of the changeover schedules expected by the NHS really look like they 'screw-up' your biological clock. Do or did you chaps find the change, one way or the other, difficult?

Pete(Trisonic) will be happy, even though it's way before his time, that the first LPs were demonstrated in New York today in 1931! Which reminds me, I have to get down to disposing of a large collection of them as soon as I feel better. Mike(Stationmaster), kindly gave me a super lead to help in this, but I have to be fit enough to clamber into the loft to begin cataloguing them! Then it's the years of Autosport magazine, the hundreds of model railway magazines and finally c. 4500 books!! Help.

Hump is almost half-way over and the weekend will be with us again before we realise,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Morning all,

I believe a treatment fro potato blight is Bordeaux Mixture (solution of copper sulphate?) but no doubt plenty of advice on the 'net.

Two main treatments, Bordeaux and Burgundy mixtures. I wonder if they originated in France.  :mosking:

John

• Like 2