The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

optimistic, grant-fuelled selling frenzy.

Domestic solar energy is a hot bed snake-oil vendors and unsubstantiable claims...... still very much a place for the buyer to be aware. :drag:

I love hearing some of the claims. Only having Robbie to talk to in the day makes me more willing to chat to door to door salespersons!

One of the more observant double glazing salesmen noticed that we have fairly recent glazing and have had all our gutters, soffits and fascias replaced so he asked about our front door. I said I wasn't replacing it as I liked it. He then "told" me how much money we were wasting through our door in winter. I said I doubted that, as we didn't spend that much on winter heating anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Domestic solar energy is a hot bed snake-oil vendors and unsubstantiable claims...... still very much a place for the buyer to be aware. :drag:

Just as well Sherry is selling her house, then! She and Pete had solar panels installed last year, although only on the extension flat roof after the main roof (wooden) tiles proved insubstantial. OTOH I'm sure the market regards it as an advantageous asset. And their house is in sunny Torbay, where solar opportunities may be greater.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone observing my dog at the moment might imagine he has gone bonkers but I do know what he is doing. He is stalking, pouncing and dispatching some daddy long legs that have entered the lounge.

Tony

• Like 2

Evening  all, 

Works gone crazy --"how long will it take you to get the concept drawings M&E installation quote done Trev? By the way I promised client that he would have it Tomorrow"  -- You'll get it when its done! ( Which is what I should be doing now instead of wasting time on 'net (even if it is being slow!)  .

Then I find I'm  in a quandary -  help folks , please?   I  find I have  15 working days leave left this year.... now should I spend all of that time  (from around 10th Dec) in the ( cold & wet) UK  spending a little time with Grand kids & staying at ex's house (which I'm still paying for!) - or  do I go and spend the time with GF who has leased a beach side apartment in San Diego (Hot & Sunny California)  -- or do I try and do both?   Decisions - decisions!   HELP!

Try and enjoy the rest of your day ,

Sweet dreams 

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

A no-brainer, Trev. The GF must come first. She represents your future, and none of us has any idea how long that will last. Grab what you can of life, and ignore the moral pressures. At our stage, this is most certainly not a rehearsal!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. I'll see if I can get there. Quite easy by train, I imagine.

It's about 15 mins walk from the station. 

I believe to get to Woking you'd have to go via Clapham? 70mins

Or it's a 45 minute drive. Parking is ok there, although the sports centre has its usual trade, too. 

Evening  all, 

Works gone crazy --"how long will it take you to get the concept drawings M&E installation quote done Trev? By the way I promised client that he would have it Tomorrow"  -- You'll get it when its done! ( Which is what I should be doing now instead of wasting time on 'net (even if it is being slow!)  .

Then I find I'm  in a quandary -  help folks , please?   I  find I have  15 working days leave left this year.... now should I spend all of that time  (from around 10th Dec) in the ( cold & wet) UK  spending a little time with Grand kids & staying at ex's house (which I'm still paying for!) - or  do I go and spend the time with GF who has leased a beach side apartment in San Diego (Hot & Sunny California)  -- or do I try and do both?   Decisions - decisions!   HELP!

Try and enjoy the rest of your day ,

Sweet dreams 

Trev.

Take the grandkids to San Diego. At least they'll be happy

• Like 3

Or it's a 45 minute drive. Parking is ok there, although the sports centre has its usual trade, too. 

If you go to Waterloo you should be able to find a fast to Woking non-stop (at least there used to be!!!) and should be maybe 35+ minutes tops. How do I know this - well, sometimes you could manage to get on the wrong train and instead of getting to Weybridge in 27 minutes you flew past on the fast line instead, with the dubious pleasure of getting to Woking and having to take the next up local <sigh>.. lots of folks managed to do it too - I think sometimes they messed around with the destination boards at Waterloo just to piss off the commuters :jester:

I know exactly where the Sports Center is, and as Andy says it's maybe 15 minutes walk from the station at most, at a brisk pace less than 10 I'd say...

Boy I'd love to go to that show, partly because it's also so close to my original home, and I spent a ton of time in Woking over the years. <sigh> we can dream :senile:  :senile:

• Like 5

I may drive as walking is a bit problematic - in fact could prevent me leaving the house!

Evening all,

Large dark cloud hanging over our house tonight, youngest daughter, the helpful nurse and her husband are in pieces. Tomorrow morning they are going to take one of their bitch Westies to the vets in the knowledge that she is to be put down. For some time now she has had acute skin problems, not uncommon in the breed, but when Karen trimmed back her coat this week to apply her treatment, she realised that there had been a sudden loss of weight. She wouldn't eat or drink and the vet has diagnosed acute kidney failure. Millie as she is known and her sister Meg, who hasn't had any skin trouble, were bought as a pair and the kids are desperately concerned, not just by the obvious, but also what effect it will have on Meg! Particularly sad is the fact that, buried at the bottom of their garden are the remains of 'Holly', their previous Westie who died of a brain tumour about nine years ago.

As Archie, our Westie has wormed his way into our heart, Joanna and I can't countenance how we would feel in the circumstances. The 'girls' as we have always referred to them, are a few weeks older than Archie and they have spent many weeks together during holidays and the like. He will doubtless miss her but poor little Meg, who was the runt of the litter, has been beside her since birth almost eight years ago.

Sorry to relate such a sad tale but we are obviously distraught at the distress our children and grand children are experiencing.

Dick, I must apologise that I hadn't realised how debilitating your 'condition' is, not that I know the cause. I can only wish you a full recovery my friend, if indeed that is at all feasible!

Not looking forward to tomorrow because I'm a terribly emotional Celt and quite worried that I won't be able to 'keep it together' when my shoulder is required. I'll do my best. Hope you all get over the hump in one piece!

Kind regards,

Jock.

That final decision about a pet is an awful one to take, I've done it a number of times, but only one is on my conscience, and that was the cat of my stepfather's mother when the old lady died. We already had 3 kids and 4 cats and I couldn't find anyone to take her. In those days there were no places to rescue and rehome old cats. In all the other cases I was certain that what I was doing was for the animal's welfare. But it was hard, so I sympathise in that immediate sense and also for the loss.

No need to apologise about my 'condition' Jock! It is/was due to falling off a slippery sleeper in the garden in France damaging tendons in the sole of my foot. 9 months to recover and then I did it again!

Jock - all the best in these trying times. Life is fleeting, and the hardest parts are the goodbyes {{{}}}

Our various pets are part of the fabric of life and I feel help make us civilized. It always tears me apart when there are pet losses, they can't understand what is happening to them, and rely on us for their health, comfort and companionship as much as we rely on them.

When we lost our dog Mysti of 14 years last November, we found a delightful memorial frame with the quote "Thanks for everything, I had a wonderful time" adoring it. We got three, used the same picture in each one that epitomised her and we, my son and daughter each have a great memory that we can view any time we like. Ours is on the kitchen window sill above the sink, and I'm happily reminded of her many times each day. 

• Like 9

Morning All,

It is just starting to get light here - and looks like another reasonable day, but there is no doubt that Autumn is fast approaching.

Sorry to hear your news, Jock.  The fact that it is for the best, doesn't make the decision any easier.

I agree with Debs about the Photovoltaic cells.  There are some wildly exaggerated claims made about them - as there is with insulation.  One company claimed that by insulating the walls of my house, they could save me 20% on my heating costs.  Perhaps in a laboratory!  Plus, some of my neighbours who have had their walls insulated have opened up a whole can of worms with air circulation problems (German houses rarely have cavity walls, so insulation is put around the outside of the house).

I am also not sure if I would want the an inverter installed in the attic - Given that the attic can be a pretty hostile environment.  Of course it is the easiest place to install it, but I would question if it is the best.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What time is this?

Her indoors up to go pre teaching swimming. I am having a mug of tea before getting on with my "things to do".

Jock hope the best for today.

As its Wednesday its now downhill to Friday!

Best regards

Barry

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A no-brainer, Trev. The GF must come first. She represents your future, and none of us has any idea how long that will last. Grab what you can of life, and ignore the moral pressures. At our stage, this is most certainly not a rehearsal!

Ian, may I just second that because I think this is something all of us should be doing more. No sense at all in anyone going karoshi, as the Japanese put it, and which I myself am certainly not ready for…

Morning all. Sunny. Expecting parcel with second double deck coach. These "Classic" series Piko coaches have turned out to be as rare as hen's teeth, so I'm certainly glad to have been able to obtain them.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just got in from work, didcot to toton with the coal train, gonna get an hours sleep now, run the kids to school, collect someone who has bought my car from the station, go the doctors and hopefully be done by 11 so i can get back in bed for the afternoon before heading back out to work at 18:00!!

• Like 2

Morning all, and  thanks for your combined thoughts , but one thing for sure  I'm  not taking the  four Grand Kids! ...(apart from fact that none of the  family know about the GF - yet). 

Thing is  I know what I want to do, and I know what I should do.....and there is stuff  in UK  I must do (Including trying to dispose of  an  0 scale European narrow gauge exhibition layout and stock.) 

Jock,  feel for you and your family - as the saying goes, "been there, done that , got the teeshirt and scars" 

Still tis hump day, 

Make the most of it.

Trev.

• Like 6

Just got in from work, didcot to toton with the coal train, gonna get an hours sleep now, run the kids to school, collect someone who has bought my car from the station, go the doctors and hopefully be done by 11 so i can get back in bed for the afternoon before heading back out to work at 18:00!!

How I miss 12 hour nights and then having to juggle domestic stuff and raising kids whilst trying to make sure I get some at least some sleep...

The above was meant to have an ironic slant to it, but I actually do kinda miss it... strange.

• Like 1

Trev, the San Diego option looks favourite, but only you will know which option feels right... just go with your instincts. If you can't trust those, etc etc...

Edit: plus if you make the wrong choice, you won't be able to blame us... :P

Edited by Pete 75C