The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have just wandered out of ERs to have a look at the RMweb live thread and to be honest it looks like it was a great day.  I would very much liked to have visited myself.

At times I've been trying to work out if the moaners and I were at the same show - but then it takes all sorts in this world and 'there's nowt so queer as folk' to quote an old saying.  But if you want to say you didn't like there are ways & means without resorting to open rudeness and childish foot stamping.

I wholly agree with Debs point about saying thank you and I try to do so as long as I can recognise the right ones to talk to.  So far as saturday's event was concerned I  dropped Andy a PM because I'm sure so much of the original thought came from him although it was obviously a team effort.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

...and on the subject of model railway shows, is anyone going to the Woking event this weekend? 

I'll most certainly take up Deb's suggestion and say "thank you" to those that are organising it. Come to think of it my children -  I force one of them to come with me each year and they take turns to get out of it or fake illness etc.  - always do.   

• Like 4

But if you want to say you didn't like there are ways & means without resorting to open rudeness and childish foot stamping.

Exactly - I don't remember anyone being forced to go.

Therefore, those who didn't enjoy it don't have to go next time.

Afternoon all,

I have to say that I agree with Debs, Robert, Mike and others when it comes to the moaners. My experience at the sharp end in retail leads me to believe that they are sad people who lack the intelligence to make informed decisions. AndyY clearly outlined the concept of the show in advance and it should have been possible to work out whether it was 'for you' or not! 

DD, those biker stats make me think it's probably just as well that I have been forced to give up two wheels due to my illness. I liked your comment on nurse Cherry but I feel I should point out that I was chaperoned throughout by Joanna!

Thanks to BarryO and the Lurker for the kind and supportive comments. I wonder if 'Jimmy' has recovered from the bench yet?

Dick, these printers work in mysterious ways. I chose the particular HP that I use for photographic printing, but it makes the weirdest of noises at start up and shut down, as well as during copying or scanning! The noises aren't even consistent which is extremely odd.

Ian, that Alison is not shy of relationships with men! Is there any likelihood of the cider press producing some for the provider of the apples?

PhilJW, I'm vey pleased to hear of the diagnosis on your 'stone'. Best of luck with the treatment.

Have a good rest of Tuesday,

Kind regards,

Jock.  

• Like 7

Gooooddd Morning ER...

Jock. Phil et al, wishing you folks a recovery from the various ills and ailments, keep up the stellar work, and leave those nurses alone!! :jester: They're there to HELP and comfort, you're not supposed to be "comforting" them :)

Jock - the prep for the procedure is far worse than the procedure itself, did mine last year and routine about every five years...Mrs was fine, but our age dictates check-ups/MOTs as you know. Many states over here they stick a camera up the exhaust (well a sensor really), so we're not much different than our cars, are we! :O  :O  :O

Was 5 overnight and when I got up here, bbbrrrrr, starting to head towards "real" Minnesota weather, all the whimps will leave soon for warmer climes. Will be 18 later and sunny

Two items I'm watching;

i) The upcoming vote there, 48 hours to go - most folks in the US don't even understand the difference between Scotland and England anyway, so it's rather an amusement here (as it seems to be there in some senses/reports) listening to people struggle over what it's "all about"!

ii) Whilst I am no fan of American Football at all and generally ignore it, it's staggering to watch the NFL implode as they put blinders on to both spousal abuse and child abuse - the latter surfacing in the last week and being brushed off because the darling of the Minnesota Vikings, Adrian Peterson, is the one charged - it saddens me that business/money speaks far louder than common decency and criminal actions.

I know, I KNOW "innocent until proven guilty", but Peterson doesn't deny he hit his kid, there are pretty shocking pictures, just that he didn't mean to go as far as he did! When did THAT become a defense?? Sorry, just has me very upset, you simply don't treat people (especially your wife or a 4 year old child) that poorly and get my respect, EVER!

Hug everyone that is close enough and you care about, be thankful we are better than that...

Whoops, forgot to comment on the "moaners".

They should be very grateful, I wish I could have enjoyed that event instead of the one I attended.

At least they got to SEE layouts and had an OPPORTUNITY to spend some money with vendors who had stuff of interest. Maybe next time they should find some sad back-street car-boot-sale, go there and moan about everything!!!

From everything (positive) I've read, it sounded like a success, albeit not a huge turnout, and I hope that everyone will consider it a good first time and continue the event. I'd love to show up one year, and I promise to be grateful, and buy stuff too :)

• Like 4

Sad to read about the passing of Geoff Brewin, Comet models. Never actually bought anything from him but planning to do so in the spring. I had a planning enquiry and it was dealt with promptly and efficiently. I'm sure from what I read, he'll be greatly missed in the modelling world and needless to say, condolences go to his wife and family.

Jock.

I guess that's why there are so many road signs in Wales warning motor cyclists to be careful. Mind you they do have some great roads for bikes!

John

trouble is they're all in welsh so by the time you've mentally scrolled down to the English you've gone by....or off the road at the bend you missed because you were reading the sign

• RMweb Gold

If I were clever enough to do social sciences research I would like to study "grumbling", not the "ooh what miserable weather" or "my brain/ foot/ back hurts" but the pursed lips, what can I complain about look.

Model railway shows and people on holiday "abroad" would seem to be a good source. 

We were on holiday a few years ago in Austria. The hotel was very nice, the food excellent with plenty of choice. On a table near us there was an English family, a couple slightly older than us with their daughter who was about 40. At every meal they just pushed food around their plate, and complained incessantly to each other, but as soon as the head waiter asked them if they were happy, was there any problem, they immediately said that everything was delightful and declined offers of alternatives.

On the cruise recently some people seemed to think their whole holiday had been ruined due to P&O ceasing silver service of vegetables this year.

So I am convinced that there are some people who aren't happy without a good moan and that is their idea of entertainment. I think one of my problems is that these negative people tend to latch on to me, perhaps I look like one. If I don't consider their moan to be justified I tend to now respond in an OTT "I'm so happy, really enjoying it, isn't it wonderful etc". Aditi seems to attract the people who want to complain about "foreigners". That can be amusing to watch.

All I have done in this post is complain!

Tony

• Like 2

Sad to read about the passing of Geoff Brewin, Comet models. Never actually bought anything from him but planning to do so in the spring. I had a planning enquiry and it was dealt with promptly and efficiently. I'm sure from what I read, he'll be greatly missed in the modelling world and needless to say, condolences go to his wife and family.

Jock.

Terribly sad. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• RMweb Gold

.... Should really have done that before we moved to this place last year, I admit…

In the loft there are some boxes and plastic binbags (so old they seem to be heavy duty, non recyclable etc). I think they were moved unopened from the loft of our previous house in 1990. I suspect they may have been put there when we moved into that house in 1977.

I think the only chance they will be investigated is if we clear the loft to have solar panels or better loft insulation.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Off on my holidays first thing tomorrow, and on an adult course tonight, which is IT based and hence I won't want to switch on the computer again tonight (in fact, the course was one that I enrolled for while I was jobseeking, and which was to improve my CV, but when I retired, they wouldn't give me a sensible refund, and wanted a supplement to transfer my onto another course, so I'll go anyway).

Should be back some time on Sunday having driven about 800/1000 miles in the meantime.

Regards to all

Stewart

• Like 2

Whoops, forgot to comment on the "moaners".

They should be very grateful, I wish I could have enjoyed that event instead of the one I attended.

At least they got to SEE layouts and had an OPPORTUNITY to spend some money with vendors who had stuff of interest. Maybe next time they should find some sad back-street car-boot-sale, go there and moan about everything!!!

From everything (positive) I've read, it sounded like a success, albeit not a huge turnout, and I hope that everyone will consider it a good first time and continue the event. I'd love to show up one year, and I promise to be grateful, and buy stuff too :)

Ian see the post I just published in the RMWeb/RICOH main thread....I’m sure you can add to it....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

In the loft there are some boxes and plastic binbags (so old they seem to be heavy duty, non recyclable etc). I think they were moved unopened from the loft of our previous house in 1990. I suspect they may have been put there when we moved into that house in 1977.

I think the only chance they will be investigated is if we clear the loft to have solar panels or better loft insulation.

Tony I think you'll find that solar panels work far better on the roof than they do in the loft ;)

• RMweb Gold

Tony I think you'll find that solar panels work far better on the roof than they do in the loft ;)

But here in the deep south east the sun burns through the roof... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Seriously if we had solar panels we would probably have the insulation topped up to current standards. Installers seem to want to put the inverter in the loft space though one said they could put it elsewhere. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Installers seem to want to put the inverter in the loft space though one said they could put it elsewhere. 

An intriguing and uncomfortable prospect!

I think the cure for the inveterate moaners is that well-known phrase "Get a life!"

More tree shredding this afternoon, but in 26 degrees it is a trifle wearing. Never mind, some rain tomorrow, apparently, so that may be that for a day or two.

The French health service has come up trumps, sending me a free voucher for a flu-jab. Perfect!

Oh - and tomorrow I get my bi-ennial colo-rectal exam to check my enlarged prostate. Drink 3/4 of a litre of water 90 mins beforehand, says the note. And then drive a car comfortably? Oh, well - it's every two years, and it might save my life.

If solar energy is being converted into electricity wouldn’t you need less insulation? :mail:

In any event you may be like us where the orientation of the roof (plus trees) makes installation difficult vs benefit.

Larry Hagman had his installed in the backyard on a handy south facing hillside......perhaps you have an opportunity to steal someone else’s land....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian see the post I just published in the RMWeb/RICOH main thread....I’m sure you can add to it....

Best, Pete.

I read your post.  I suppose distance was the reason I didn't go to Coventry or Swindon this weekend. But I was sad I didn't feel able to go. It isn't actually the distance it is the effect that has on me. The amount of medication I need to lead my everyday existence doesn't leave me with too many side effects. If I exert myself I end up having a bad week afterwards. For longer journeys I'll plan taking it easy if possible afterwards. However the enjoyment of something has to be balanced against what is going to happen. Also going round an exhibition when tired isn't always fun. So I tend to stick to the local south Essex ones or something that I can get to with an all zones Travelcard. Aditi offered to get me an over 60 Railcard so I could go out more but it wasn't / isn't the cost that was the problem

I seem to be able to cope with driving much better in North America or France and Germany than in the UK but I'm usually not under any need to be at a specific place at a specific time.

I would like to go and assuming it is on in 2015 and still in Coventry, I think I'll drive the day before, stay at the Novotel, visit the exhibition and drive home.

I did go to an exhibition in Stafford once and I had arrived the day before and stayed in a Holiday Inn. This was Stafford, Texas  though and I did have a week to recover before flying home.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Oh - and tomorrow I get my bi-ennial colo-rectal exam to check my enlarged prostate. Drink 3/4 of a litre of water 90 mins beforehand, says the note. And then drive a car comfortably? Oh, well - it's every two years, and it might save my life.

On my sound scan on Monday I was told to drink a litre of water beforehand. The appointment was for 3 o'clock, and so was everyone else's! :O Luckily I was in before 3:30 but it was a close run thing.

If solar energy is being converted into electricity wouldn’t you need less insulation?

Oddly enough, photo voltaic solar arrays don`t like to be too hot, nor too cold; the output efficiency plummets above (or below) the thermo-specific chart-curve.......so ironically, a 'real-world' {albeit diminished maximum} output may actually occur whilst in partial shade (due to lessened panel-surface temperatures).

There are now water-cooled and/or warmed.........yes; you end up paying to heat them in cool weather! :O ..........P.V panels which address the thermal inefficiency issue.....but it all rather gets away from the marketeer`s suggested {and potential-customer`s imagined} 'something for nothing' simplicity.

My friend`s large '6Kw.'. P.V array, has never once produced more than 2.1Kw. and even then only briefly; at the solar zenith of mid-Summer........It`s emerged that thermal losses, conversion losses and living at 53 degrees North are all to blame.......but non were ever mentioned during the overly optimistic, grant-fuelled selling frenzy.

Domestic solar energy is a hot bed snake-oil vendors and unsubstantiable claims...... still very much a place for the buyer to be aware. :drag:

• Like 2