The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Gooooooood evening all,

Now returned from deepest Swindon and spent ages trying to catch up.

We had a great time at the show with Bob 81C and Mrs Bob and met various other ERs there. Even though I was under wifely surveillance Mike you'll be pleased to hear that I purchased a green 0-6-2 56XX from the very nice man from Cheltenham Model Centre.

We'd all booked in at the nearby Premier Inn so after the show a few drinks, a good meal and a very pleasant evening ensued. This morning a visit to the Designer Outlet Village took place and that was even more of a result because Her Lady Bossness Mrs GB didn't see anything that she me wanted to buy for her!   One Nil to me!!   :yes:  :imsohappy: 

New loco has now been chipped and run in for a couple of hours and runs very sweetly. :locomotive: 

Have a good one (whatever is left of it)

Bob.

• Like 8

I found this on You Tube this am:

Are there any places like this in the UK? A spectacular rail location that has it’s own park? Horseshoe Curve, Altoona, PA. Look at the scene from about 5:18.

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Sydney Gardens, Bath. The photo is off the internet.

John

post-7952-0-68559200-1410808307.jpg

• Like 9

When Sandy came home today she found on the bed, unopened, unchewed, a box of dog biscuits. One of them had carefully removed it from the shelf in the kitchen.

John,

Your dogs are either very well trained or not very bright. I'm sure it's the former. :mosking:

John

• Like 1

Some photos of the weekend "show" in this part of the world :(

General view #1

post-20244-0-67643400-1410808627_thumb.jpg

General view #2

post-20244-0-61007100-1410808629_thumb.jpg

The layouts - if you can call them that, were for the most part simple roundy-rounds with some (pretty limited) staging tracks for folks to move various trains on and off.

The intent didn't appear to be to show of anything of substance, mostly to have something going round and round, as much for kids to see as anything else it seemed.

Even much of the motive power/rolling stock seemed very average, rather than special/spectacular, no-one "ooing" or "ahhhing" about much, except for a couple of very apparently vintage pieces rotating around the Lionel circuit!

The HO was a four track affair, the N 2-track and the O/Lionel three track.

HO Gauge layout, view down LONG side!

post-20244-0-32123800-1410808631_thumb.jpg

HO Gauge layout ONLY module that had any substantial scenery - if you can call it that!

post-20244-0-50210000-1410808633_thumb.jpg

N layout - this module was very well sceniced, the rest was either poor or simply track on the section with no scenery at all...

post-20244-0-32483200-1410808635_thumb.jpg

O/Lionel - with a new motive power item. THis was rather a ncie looking piece complete with smoke and good sound, but ont THAT TRACK!! Not exactly something that smacks of realism, except when it was on the long straight, and the rolling stock all was very "toy train" looking, hardly surprising as it is Lionel.

post-20244-0-30148700-1410808637_thumb.jpg

I didn't bother to take any photos with the camera, as nothing justified it, so they are all from my cell-phone, hence the poorer quality.

I guess 6USD entry, the proceeds of which go to the local railroad club, pretty much dictated the quality of the vendors (mostly old duffers who seemed to be selling the contents of their basements!!) and the three miserable layouts.

Supposedly there is one of the large US Train shows "The Great Train Expo" having a two-day event in November here, and should therefore attract more vendors and maybe some layouts worth seeing - we'll see...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

HO Gauge layout, view down LONG side!

HO Gauge layout ONLY module that had any substantial scenery - if you can call it that!

The train in the Long Side view seems to be full of novelty modern box cars, rather than any sort of representation of a real freight train, while the steam-hauled C&NW passenger train looks to be from the late '40s at the latest. I suppose at least the latter is local to the Twin Cities, but really it's "Run what yer brung" apparently.

• RMweb Premium

Evening, nothing to report but best wishes to those unwell, recovering or making do as best they can.

Busy day, still not getting to play with the goods either, bah!  A new arrival today was interesting which I did get to fiddle with, but not sure I can post photos yet.  :nono:  :blind:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As for the antics of poor riders/drivers/cyclists - had a corker today.  Currently here everyone is being very careful around cyclists as there was an 'incident' with a Range Rover and a cyclist which resulted in the death of the latter a few weeks ago (no more to be said, sub judice).  So on my way home today a car decided to overtake a cyclist, both coming towards me on a narrow-ish road, and the driver gave the cyclist a VERY wide berth...but unfortunately that was the bit of road my Flawed Focius was occupying at the time which he hadn't seemed to have noticed, and the other motorist crossed a double solid white line to complete his manoeuvre, trashing my wing mirror as well as the highway code as he did so. Grrrrrrr.. C*ckwomble, I think the saying is.

Ex-work colleagues on the case forthwith. 

• RMweb Gold

As for the antics of poor riders/drivers/cyclists - had a corker today.  Currently here everyone is being very careful around cyclists as there was an 'incident' with a Range Rover and a cyclist which resulted in the death of the latter a few weeks ago (no more to be said, sub judice).  So on my way home today a car decided to overtake a cyclist, both coming towards me on a narrow-ish road, and the driver gave the cyclist a VERY wide berth...but unfortunately that was the bit of road my Flawed Focius was occupying at the time which he hadn't seemed to have noticed, and the other motorist crossed a double solid white line to complete his manoeuvre, trashing my wing mirror as well as the highway code as he did so. Grrrrrrr.. C*ckwomble, I think the saying is.

Ex-work colleagues on the case forthwith. 

I think Sherry knows some folk who have recently lost someone in a Manx road accident. Sherry isn't easily online at present.

Evening all,

Doctor looked after me well and my heel has been dressed, by a lovely nurse called Cherry, with a comfortable padded device which should help to cure it. The nurse wants me back Friday for another treatment!

Sorry to hear of the various illnesses, hope Tony has shrugged off the sickness and poor AndrewC appears to be going through the wars. PhilJW, I understand that kidney stones can be exceedingly painful and are often mistaken for other more serious problems. I hope they can destroy yours in situ, rather than an operation.

Ian(Abel), sorry to hear that Mrs A is to go through that rather unsavoury experience - Joanna has been through it twice and we wish her well. Your daughter seems to be going from strength to strength, you must both be very proud. Should have a 'jealous' rating button!

Neil, sorry to hear of your close encounter - sounds like a classic case of tunnel vision!

GDB, sounds like you had a result this weekend, and what a great idea to stop-over afterwards. Mrs GDB is slipping though, I'd start to worry about her follow up!

Hope for more news of a positive sort from Cape Town soon.

Have the best Tuesday you can,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 11

Morning All,

her main task was scraping mouse poo off butter and re-patting it.

:tongueclear:

Back in the early 50's my grandparents moved to St. Leonards from Gidea Park. So every summer my brother and myself were put on the train at Charing Cross. I do remember traveling behind a Schools class engine before the introduction of the Hastings units. The carriages were not the best, the corridor concertina connections were so tatty that you could see the track through the gaps! :O

My Father started commuting from Hastings to London very shortly after the Hastings units were introduced.  Some of his fellow commuters complained that the service took longer, although they were definitely more comfortable.  Funnily enough, the exact same comments appeared in the 80s when the line was electrified!

It is not really light yet, so too early to see what the weather is going to do.  Although it does look quite clear.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all…

Not quite as dull and dreich as yesterday, but even more noise coming up from that construction site across the junction. Fell asleep only around 1 am, so can't really think of anything witty to follow up with yet.

Do enjoy your day!

• Like 1

Dull and damp in Norf Norfolk this morning. One of the wheels just fell off my wheelie bin as I dragged it across the gravel in the direction of the pavement. I do hope that's not some ominous warning of the quality of my day ahead...

Whatever you're up to, may your wheels turn freely.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Bit of a dull & misty start today with possibility of some sunshine followed by short sharp showers later.

For those of you who might like trains (sorry Debs) I've posted a few pics on the Swindon Steam Festival thread.

Here's a taster:

post-5890-0-92245000-1410847750.jpg

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Fatchy log here again.

Tea brewed, breakfast ready, let the day begin.

Jock.hope that the sore gets better soon. Hope all is well with everyone else.

Off to do some posting and then I need to sort out my boxes from my weekend in Swindon.

Tonight sees the start of the indoor cricket at headingley. 6 a side, 10 overseas a team. If you think T20 is quick then you should watch some of this..

Have a nice day!

Baz

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry with grey cloud at moment though sun and 21c forecast.

Just put the brown bin x 2 (garden rubbish) blue  bin x 1 ( plastics) greenbox  bin x 2 (paper) out for collection

therefore I'm needing breakfast and coffee.

Will look in later

Enjoy your day

Very red sky this morning ( a warning?) but then it turned to gold as the sun came up and, if the patchy cloud clears as it did yesterday, it looks as we may have another sunny day.

John

Some of the best sunrises I ever saw were at a friend's farmhouse in Bagenalstown (Muine Bheag). People talk about a "big sky" and that was always the case there. Best experienced with steaming mug of coffee. Spoilt only by having to view the sunrise over the neighbour's plot of land. He ran a haulage business and always had around a dozen trucks in his "garden"... Some mental "view blocking" was needed.

• Like 4

Morning all from a very foggy boring borough. Can barely see the end of the garden from the office window. That's less than 30m.

Jock. My little miseries are a minor itch compared to the crap you've been through. I don't know if I'd have the courage or stubbornness to keep fighting the way you do.

Phil, I too hope your discomfort will come to pass. Literally.

After complaining to the council the other week about our scumbucket neighbours and their habit of plugging other's bins with their overflow, I've had a rather nice phone call from the waste management department. They've attended and politely supported the neighbour in promoting the value of recycling and supplied a new set of paper, plastic, glass tubs. Shame they went to the wrong neighbour. D'oh! More shouty shouty from them last night. Was sort of hoping for another visit from the old bill. 4 in a month would really give us ammo to pressure the landlord to not renew their tenancy. Still hoping to eventually convince them to sell the place to us. Would love to be able to knock the 2 together.

Another quiet day expected for me. Enjoy yourselves and have a good one.

Peace, Love, and Gravy