The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon.

My clumsy gardening earlier today meant that pudding after lunch was rhubarb crumble. I felt rather tired after cutting grass and washing Aditi's car and was thinking about the F1 when I was reminded that I'd forgotten to take Robbie out. I had a nice walk round the nearby fields (I did remember to take the dog).

No official news from Matthew since getting to Auckland but his beer phone app posts on Twitter so at least we know he is out and about!

• RMweb Gold

Went shopping this morning. People were buying punnets of blackberries.

Went for a walk this afternoon and picked enough for several punnets.

Could have had as many as I wanted.

Much more pleasant than shopping too.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Blackberries on the Benfleet Downs were very early this year. Our garden strawberries seem to be producing another (small) crop. Perhaps I should have a look at the blackberry bushes again. When Matthew had pet rats we always picked a few blackberries for them. They would delicately nibble them apart and reject the tiny seeds. However Norah and Smudge looked liked something from a vampire movie with all the berry stains round their faces afterwards.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Huge catalogue of domestic tasks today after visiting three car boots and coming home with nothing much at all.  So late on parade again, and hence missed the posting of THE ring.  Well done to Ian and Sherry - though I've said that before, but am more than happy to say it again.  I've never seem so many "likes" against an ER post before.

in fact, it's taken a long time to catch up, and there's a lot to take on board and to comment about - so again, it has to be generic agreement/congratulations/commiserations again.

In fact another task has just come up - this is getting silly.

Regards to All

Stewart

edit - ps We saw the two Lancasters flying North this morning, albeit in the far distance, then again this afternoon when they were heading South to do a flypast at Morecambe - again not close enough to have a really good look though...

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

Blackberries on the Benfleet Downs were very early this year... 

Tony

In a few words you transported me back 45 years, Tony. 

The land north of the railway line between L-o-S station and the castle used to be thick brambles. I'm guessing they were also west of the castle too. Cut back later for farming. 

I'll be heading there again in due course as it was dad's preference for where his ashes would go. 

• RMweb Premium

Found the GEM point control wire; I know you'd all been worrying.  :no:

It was, of course, in a draw I'd searched 3 times already. 

Didn't see any trains earlier as I wanted to get back to working on a certain garage-based project... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In a few words you transported me back 45 years, Tony. 

The land north of the railway line between L-o-S station and the castle used to be thick brambles. I'm guessing they were also west of the castle too. Cut back later for farming. 

I'll be heading there again in due course as it was dad's preference for where his ashes would go. 

The land south of the railway line is a bit muddy. The land you refer to apart from the Salvation Army farm is part of the Hadleigh and Benfleet Country Park now. Two Tree Island is mainly a nature reserve. There are still cattle grazing at times on the Downs but it is really peaceful to have a walk there. The sea wall path is well used at weekends but the higher footpaths across the Downs between Benfleet and Leigh are not exactly busy.

• Like 3

Did they mention your stained hands and mouth at the checkout?

• RMweb Gold

There is an enormous amount of fruit around at the moment, not only 'wild' fruit but 'feral' fruit, apples, pears, plums etc. Its a shame that the great majority of this harvest seems to go to waste.

Robbie must have got fed up with windfall pears I saw him on his hind legs really stretching up to get a nice pear from one of the lower branches. He doesn't seem quite as keen to pick the tomatoes as he was to eat strawberries.

• Like 2

There is an enormous amount of fruit around at the moment, not only 'wild' fruit but 'feral' fruit, apples, pears, plums etc. Its a shame that the great majority of this harvest seems to go to waste.

Not much round here other than blackberries, but so far this year we have made blackberry cordial, blackberry puddings, blackberry wine and blackberry jelly.  In case you guessed, we like blackberries!

Open weekend went well with three new members signed up today and the possibility of some more.  Then back into the garden and some more therapeutic digging for an hour to get some fresh air (as well as clear some weeds!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have put those blackberries to good use - blackberry and apple crumble.

Non of this fine, pureed, artistic cooking stuff for us.  Whole blackberries and thick slices of apple.

Delicious.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

been a long day... but while visiting Mike Edge we did have a visit from 8 Merlins attached to 2 Lancasters!  very noticeable Merlin noise... Super!

Been warm today so missed cricket but had lots of other things to do so kept busy.

Iand and Sherry... a thousand apologies .. a very belated Congratulations!  its obvious that my Kobo doesn't always post what I type in... but that is no excuse. May you , as they say, Live Long and Prosper!

Spent this evening loading goodies for sale onto fleabat..  next up cataloguing a large amount of coaches, locos etc to go on shortly...

Off to find a bottle of beer as I am parched!

baz

• Like 1

Evening all, another late appearance on parade today. Things have been calmer today which is a relief. Mind you Sarah has been laid up with a migraine since this morning. I really could have done without football this morning as I she needed to stay in bed which meant Amber needed looking after. Unfortunately we were short of players so I promised Amber a treat if she was good and shot off to the sports centre. With only the basic 5 players we won 4-2 against a very tough side despite me limping through the last five minutes after aggravating my old ankle ligament injury whilst blocking a shot.

We had a second game this morning, but managed to draft in extra players for that so was home quickly to look after Amber.

Sarah improved in the afternoon, but not quickly enough to go to her mum's for tea. Amber and I spent the afternoon in the garden, playing her games before I tackled the overdue lawn mowing it was getting like a jungle out there!

Back to teaching tomorrow. I am have just finished final prep for tomorrow and have most things sorted for Tuesday too. Hopefully all will go well.

• Like 1

Well you are the same latitude as the south of France.

Too freaking right, Phil, and this is the time to enjoy that fact!

Best, Pete.

:P  Not that many Americans would wish to share much else in common with a nation of "garlic-eating surrender-jockeys" :laugh: 

.......as one of my Californian former-colleagues regularly described them. :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

.......as one of my Californian former-colleagues regularly described them. :rolleyes:

Good job you mentioned "Californian" otherwise I might have thought you had worked with Groundskeeper Willie who had a variation on the insult.

Edited by Tony_S

:P  Not that many Americans would wish to share much else in common with a nation of "garlic-eating surrender-jockeys" :laugh: 

Debs,

One of Max Hastings quotes from his 'Military Anecdotes' book, attributed to an American officer in WW2 - 'you can always rely on a Frenchman when he needs you!'.

Kind regards,

Jock.