The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

You can get a flight to New York from London City. It has to top up it’s tanks at Shannon. Airbus 318.

Best, Pete.

Pete ,I presume you are able to clear US Immigration at Shannon and land in New York like a domestic flight?

Edited by Shedman5

Ian, most of the aircraft operating out of London City Airport seem to be Avro 146's, a bit long in the tooth now. HRH Charlie once managed to prang one of the Queens Flight ones.

Phil,

Indeed, some other airlines still use the 146's, but BA/Citiflyer now use the Embraer. Far as I know they (Citiflyer or BA) no longer operate any turbo-props at all.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/fleet-facts/embraer-170

As Pete stated they (BA) also run a business class service using A318's specially equipped for the NY run, but have to refuel westbound in Shannon, where they also clear customs, supposedly to improve service times through Kennedy - like that is ever "possible" :) Flying into the airport is the least of the worries - it's from the airport to "elsewhere" that sucks :O

EDIT: If you watch the video Pete posted you'll see one of the BA/Citiflyer Embraers taxiing past the A318 :)

Edited by Ian Abel

Thanks Baz. Now, FRES isn't an acronym I've heard used in over a decade! Is that scout tank the final result of the FRES project?

Pete, one of my personal dislikes re flying is the hassle / stress of large airports. Smaller regional and city airports get my vote! Arguably it's easier to get to City airport than perhaps LHR. Train to WAT, take The Drain, LDR, jump on board... 

Hope they take on Guinness supplies at Shannon! 

IanA makes a good point. Getting a taxi at Kennedy is just a rank experience. Far quicker and nearly as cheap to get a stretched limo! 

• RMweb Premium

KLM Cityhopper started to use the Embraers' on the Leeds-Schiphol route... when i flew regularly to Bremen it was F27 to Schiphol and then a new F50 to Bremen.. happy days!!

AndyB - don't give up!  Despite my best efforts I am occasionally asked to submit my CV for jobs which "may be of interest to you" .. the last one being a Continuous Improvement Manager for a food processing firm. I know about CI but Food Processing - not a iota of knowledge other than eating/drinking the end product!

Strangely enough the order for FRES Scout makes interesting reading ... safeguarding 200 jobs in Wales... shame about the tank factories in Leeds, Newcastle, Coventry and Telford that have either closed or lost a lot of skilled engineering jobs... The hull will be made in Spain, the turret in Germany so all we do is glue it together in Wales or would that be Donnington?  To make it worse we, the taxpayer FUNDED an American Company to take on a factory in Wales.. when viewed from the outside the UK we are politically NUTS!!   sorry rant over ....but a real Tank Designer I do get miffed when I see political drivel ....

Grumpy Baz

ex Tank Designer, Challenger 1 and 2

It is the attitude of the MoD civil servants that anything built elsewhere will be better than home grown stuff......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

AndyB 

yep FRES  was TRACER was FFLAV was.....  I didn't work on FRES but did work on all the rest.... Interesting that the order is being placed before the critical design review has taken place..but with a gestation period of some 30 years someone had to buy a replacement for the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) aka Scorpion/Scimitar (affectionately known by Main battle  tank designer/Users  as a "Dinky Toy" )

Baz

... I am told however that it is common to be swollen, aching, and very weary, accompanied by a bucket load of pharmaceuticals to munch through or inject! I guess John (CB), who has recently been through the mill himself, knows all about it as indeed no doubt do many others.

Jock

The important thing that I found was that giving in to the tiredness and having an hour or two's kip was beneficial. And have it when you feel like it. As time goes on you'll start feeling more awake, but then the next day you may feel tired again - don't worry, just give in to it and sleep. You'll find that your recovery is speedier than trying to force yourself into a regular pattern too soon.

That's what worked for me, anyway.

Good luck, mate.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 4

Is the Avro 146 the same as the BAe146 wot used to be built at Hatfield?

Ed

Essentially yes...started life actually as the Hawker Siddeley 146, then BAe/Avro. All the same basic airframe with some powerplant and size variants...

After repeated warnings about Freeview TV channels being altered today, I auto retuned the digibox on my return from work.  Imagine my pleasant surprise when we supposedly have a load of channels that weren't previously available locally - 97 channels in total, as opposed to the 20 or so we had before.  Then it all goes wrong!  Although they appear in the channels list, we cant find these new channels.  Equally annoyingly,  BBC1 is now coming up as BBC1 NI (for Northern Ireland).  Now no disrespect to those in Northern Ireland, but I don't really want your local news!  BBC1 NE & Cumbria comes up as channel 800!

Then I retuned the bedroom TV - no problem at all - it didn't find these extra channels, and BBC1 came up correctly as North East & Cumbria.  Good says I - auto retuned the main TV again, only to find the same problems as before!  Consulted internet & digibox manual, which say that I can manually retune to remove NI channels and move channel 800 to 1.  Then spend an hour trying to figure out this manual tuning lark, all to no avail, except I did manage to delete BBC1 NI & BBC2 NI. 

Finally did a further auto retune and everything suddenly comes out OK, only we now are back to the 20 or so channels and not 97.  God knows what was happening to suddenly give us 97 channels and then take them away again!  It was a bit like we got ITV3 and ITV4 for about 1 week a couple of years ago, only for them to disappear again.

This has all resulted in a very annoying and frustrating evening.  If Freeview carries on like this, I will be buying a Sky box! 

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

Indeed, some other airlines still use the 146's, but BA/Citiflyer now use the Embraer. Far as I know they (Citiflyer or BA) no longer operate any turbo-props at all.

Well, there was a BA Dash 8 Q400 at Ronaldsway today!  It had fans on the front....and turbine windmilly engines.

I was off to hospital in the UK for a hip check-up, going OK but they do like to have a good furtle and make it sore for a few days - I think it's to remind me to be careful! I had one of these jammed in a fairly intimate place....  http://www.voyanthealth.com/voyantmark.jsp  at least this time I knew what it was for - last time I was distinctly worried where it was to go!!! :scared:

Flew in a Fly-(May)Be Q400, awful landing coming back, I heard them delaying it's next sector so it must have needed a 'rough landing' check I presume.

After repeated warnings about Freeview TV channels being altered today, I auto retuned the digibox on my return from work.  Imagine my pleasant surprise when we supposedly have a load of channels that weren't previously available locally - 97 channels in total, as opposed to the 20 or so we had before.  Then it all goes wrong!  Although they appear in the channels list, we cant find these new channels.  Equally annoyingly,  BBC1 is now coming up as BBC1 NI (for Northern Ireland).  Now no disrespect to those in Northern Ireland, but I don't really want your local news!  BBC1 NE & Cumbria comes up as channel 800!

Then I retuned the bedroom TV - no problem at all - it didn't find these extra channels, and BBC1 came up correctly as North East & Cumbria.  Good says I - auto retuned the main TV again, only to find the same problems as before!  Consulted internet & digibox manual, which say that I can manually retune to remove NI channels and move channel 800 to 1.  Then spend an hour trying to figure out this manual tuning lark, all to no avail, except I did manage to delete BBC1 NI & BBC2 NI. 

Finally did a further auto retune and everything suddenly comes out OK, only we now are back to the 20 or so channels and not 97.  God knows what was happening to suddenly give us 97 channels and then take them away again!  It was a bit like we got ITV3 and ITV4 for about 1 week a couple of years ago, only for them to disappear again.

This has all resulted in a very annoying and frustrating evening.  If Freeview carries on like this, I will be buying a Sky box! 

A Freeview retune here has resulted in no channels at all, on my 3 year old L.G integrated-F.V Tv...........previously there were 130+ channels. :scratchhead:

I fear somebody`s not sufficiently tested things in Freeview`s techie-sandbox. :beee:

• RMweb Gold

A Freeview retune here has resulted in no channels at all, on my 3 year old L.G integrated-F.V Tv...........previously there were 130+ channels. :scratchhead:

I fear somebody`s not sufficiently tested things in Freeview`s techie-sandbox. :beee:

Engineering works are taking place in some regions to coincide with Freeview channel updates. My TV pictures come by satellite but I have re-tuned the Freeview tuners just in case the satellite signal ever disappears!

Tony

130 channels!!  I thought 97 was a lot when I thought I had got them!  Mrs G sagely commented that with 97 channels, it would just take her longer to find out that there was nothing that she wanted to watch :jester:

Well, there was a BA Dash 8 Q400 at Ronaldsway today!  It had fans on the front....and turbine windmilly engines.

I was off to hospital in the UK for a hip check-up, going OK but they do like to have a good furtle and make it sore for a few days - I think it's to remind me to be careful! I had one of these jammed in a fairly intimate place....  http://www.voyanthealth.com/voyantmark.jsp  at least this time I knew what it was for - last time I was distinctly worried where it was to go!!! :scared:

Flew in a Fly-(May)Be Q400, awful landing coming back, I heard them delaying it's next sector so it must have needed a 'rough landing' check I presume.

Neil, sure it wasn't one of these???

post-20244-0-72501600-1409778875.jpg

It's a Saab 2000, "looks like " BA, but is actually a re-liveried Eastern Airlines aircraft that they use for BA codeshares with BA flight numbers. There may also be some Flybe re-liveried Q400's that are used for codesahres but not so sure about that.

Again, far as I know (sources within BA) they supposedly no longer own any turboprops as of several years ago.

• Like 1

130 channels!!  I thought 97 was a lot when I thought I had got them!  Mrs G sagely commented that with 97 channels, it would just take her longer to find out that there was nothing that she wanted to watch :jester:

Yes, but of that 130; many were effectively-duplicated channels (except for regional opt-outs for news, weather and language politics) as the Welsh-Wales transmitter footprint also extends into this Peninsular; the Welsh transmitter (Moel y Parc) is about 15 miles away, but my rooftop aerial is directed at the English one (Winter Hill), which is 40 miles distant in almost the opposite direction.

I expect transmitter overlap will be the most likely cause of today`s loss of Freeview channels. :scratchhead:

At least I can protest at having nothing to watch and in two languages! :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/fleet-facts/embraer-170

As Pete stated they (BA) also run a business class service using A318's specially equipped for the NY run, but have to refuel westbound in Shannon, where they also clear customs, supposedly to improve service times through Kennedy - like that is ever "possible" :) Flying into the airport is the least of the worries - it's from the airport to "elsewhere" that sucks :O

EDIT: If you watch the video Pete posted you'll see one of the BA/Citiflyer Embraers taxiing past the A318 :)

The 146 is a four engined turbofan.

I’ve got over 700 channels - there’s still nothing on..........

Best, Pete.

Just goes to show you can't trust diesel engines!!!

Just got back on ER after a couple of days away and the first post I see is from Jock. Great to see you back sir. It has made my day complete. I hope your recovery goes well.

The last couple of days have been very busy as I have hit the planning morning and night and got much of it done. The books I bought from Amazon certainly helped the job go smoothly. I have a few more bits and pieces to do before the children return to school on Monday but feel confident that I can get it done.

Sarah and I have managed to venture out a couple of times with some pub lunches and a visit to a farm park. She is visiting her mum tomorrow, thinking I will need to do loads of work on the final day of the holiday. I could be honest and tell her how up to date I am....or I could sneak off to the Severn Valley for a final steam fix! Mmmm tough choice!

• Like 3

Thanks Baz. Now, FRES isn't an acronym I've heard used in over a decade! Is that scout tank the final result of the FRES project?

Pete, one of my personal dislikes re flying is the hassle / stress of large airports. Smaller regional and city airports get my vote! Arguably it's easier to get to City airport than perhaps LHR. Train to WAT, take The Drain, LDR, jump on board... 

Hope they take on Guinness supplies at Shannon! 

IanA makes a good point. Getting a taxi at Kennedy is just a rank experience. Far quicker and nearly as cheap to get a stretched limo! 

I avoid JFK if possible but I think you can get a train into Manhattan from there now - you can also from Newark - the monorail takes you to the station.

Best, Pete.

I knew a chap that had no great wish to be a captain of industry - he just loved the countryside and decided to be a shepherd.

Unfortunately he got the sack on his first day when he was asked to count the sheep.

To insult a sheperd you say he has to count his sheep to see if they are all there

Laurence

Edited by laurenceb

I avoid JFK if possible but I think you can get a train into Manhattan from there now - you can also from Newark - the monorail takes you to the station.

Best, Pete.

I flew into Newark - mostly because the immigration queues are shorter than at JFK. I think I was about 10 minutes from leaving the plane to entering the USA which is pretty good. It was ok getting the train into Manhattan from there - and ok going to JFK by rail which is mostly subway then the airport monorail thing (which is quite good fun). Washington Dulles gets my vote for worst airport - it doesn't have a railway connection and they use weird people mover vehicles to get you from the plane to immigration (and the immigration queues were huge too). I don't like Vienna either, the departure area for non-Schengen flights is pathetic - though, on the other hand, the train ride into the city is great.

My Tv retuned itself - I think I have about 3 new channels but a load of the existing ones have shuffled out of place, BBC news is now Channel 120 instead of 80. I'm not impressed. I tried retuning it again but it's still the same.

• RMweb Premium

Caught up on here this morning but ran out of time to post anything.

Family day out for me tomorrow.

So best wishes to all and hope you enjoy your day.

Polly

Evening all,

A very tired Jock here but the sleep patterns have been shot to pieces - it should only take a wee while in the broad picture.

Neil, that looked like a serious weapon, could the Flying Bee supply a suitable cushion for the journey home? Hope you get the problem resolved soon mate - don't want a hip mitigating the ability to drive the chuffer or prevent you enjoying the two wheeled devices!

The 'Freeview' thing has really p**sed me right off tonight as Joanna has been bending my ear seriously as she has lost most of the channels she had on our bedroom TV before the re-tune! Expect someone in FV customer services is in for a roasting tomorrow!! Hope all your problems are resolved by the weekend but it has all the hallmarks of a right royal c*ck up. I might end up splashing out on a Sky box in the bedroom as well as the HD one we have in the lounge!

John(CB), thanks for the tip my friend, no chance to try it today but perhaps tomorrow. The problem is that I also suffer a lot of weariness from the bone cancer pain relief and so it's quite hard to pinpoint the exact cause.

Only used JFK once and hated it - we mainly stayed with my brother in Boston when we visited the states and he preferred the bus like service between Logan and Teeterborough(not sure of spelling now!). It's so small there that transit was fast and a limo into the hotel or apartment was quick and amazingly cheap. Pretty sad I can't do that now but very much enjoyed it at the time. My daughter is visiting 'The Big Apple' after a break in Mexico at the end of the month - she and her husband will celebrate their 25th anniversary with a meal and Broadway show. The holiday has been put together by 'Virgin Holidays' so I don't know what airport they'll use but hopefully all transits are set up ahead.

Just spotted it's now good morning all, so I'll say good - night!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5