The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all.

Safe journey Mike.

After lots of rain today is clear, but more rain possible on Sunday.

I dreamed I was awake but could hear my alarm going off in the distance. But it was my alarm, right next to my head and I was asleep. Damn. I prefer to be awake before the alarm. Less of a shock to the system.

Two days till yhe weekend.

Ready for the exhibition Jam? All wheels and track cleaned and electrics tested?

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite jealous of your thunderstorms Dominik, I love a good display of lightning but we rarely get it here in Edinburgh.

I just read there even were at least two tornadoes up on the Rhine.

Don't think I'll need to water the flowers on the balcony today. Also, we prepared a sandbox for Albert and Trude yesterday so they can burrow without damaging anything. This we put on the balcony so as to give them an additional incentive for going outside, and, unsurprisingly, it was in about one inch of water when I checked after getting up!

Morning All,

Personally, I hate waking up a couple of minutes before the alarm goes off - although I do it on a regular basis! :lol:

We have a fairly overcast day here this morning - It is quite warm though, so I think the sun will burn the clouds off later on and we are probably going to have another pretty warm day. Yesterday afternoon was very pleasant, but a bit on the warm side - although it didn't stop me cycling 55km.

As Dominik said, thunderstorms were the order of the later evening - which rather annoyingly wiped out my satellite signal, and so I couldn't watch the TT coverage. Not that it mattered all that much, because the racing was cancelled as well!

Safe travels Mike, and have a good day everyone!

I just read there even were at least two tornadoes up on the Rhine.

Yes - there was a some quite serious storm damage in the Südpfalz. With various roofs being ripped off, and streets closed due to flooding/ debris.

There were a few lumps of tree down when I drove to work this morning - but nothing too dramatic. It looks like we missed the worst of the weather.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't spot this at first, but was just told a trellis in the garden has fallen over. That appears to be the only damage around the house, though. The south of Hesse appears to have been hit quite hard, too, as the news reported flooded motorways and hail damage around Darmstadt and the Bergstraße.

Thankfully the morning here is just dull, so nothing like you have experienced in Germany guys...

If I get hold of the kindergarten programmers at Google, I'll smack their legs. angry.gif

Don't forget the body armour Mike. It's scary down here...cool.gif

• RMweb Premium

Not literally I hope

You're right, it actually hit several homes :lol: . But seriously, I could not spot any damage to the house itself upon getting up - thankfully, I might add.

• RMweb Gold

Hello.

It is dry here but looks very overcast. Matthew is just off to college for a revision session. My wife isn't going in to work until mid morning as she has to go to a meeting tonight. I've just got to do a bit of shopping. If I can plan ahead I'll try and do the weekend shopping as I'll be out at the monthly club meeting on Saturday. Unlike Andrew (AndrewC) I'm not currently constructing club modules. My woodwork is only good enough for representing a model of an earthquake zone, so I'll probably be helping with the paper based freight car forwarding system.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed the Google furore! I use iGoogle as my homepage and that still hasn't changed. On that if I type something in the Google search box it takes me to a traditional page (with a UK) option.

Tony

Morning all. As usual its a quiet day in the boring boring borough. Still waiting for feedback from work on my documentation. I don't think I've ever worked for a company that is so slow in completing processes. Oh well, more free time for me to play.

Yesterday saw the delivery of SWMBO's new greenhouse. Now I've got the largest meccano set on the street. smile.gif At least the chap dropped off the correct green one and not the day-glo lilac coloured one. Yikes that thing was garish. We've also had a delivery of 170kg of sheep sh*t. How exciting is that? I did tell you that this is the boring boring borough.

At the moment the glass panels are in my shed taking up space so that's going to slow me down again. The upside is once the thing is built I'll have a lot more space as all the gardening crap will get turfed out to live in the greenhouse. (turfed out, geddit!!) Our visiting tourists have changed their plans again so they are back at our place on Friday instead of Monday. That means no club day for me this Saturday. dry.gif I was looking forward to showing off my abysmal woodworking for a good laugh. (I doubt that Tony's could be any worse) Oh well, now I have until August to get them to a presentable state.

Have a good one all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Grey in these parts. I agree with you Gordon that is a really dumb move on the part of Google. The whole system was based on simplicity and the only thing on the initial page was an entry field for a search term. They have really lost the plot this time. An opening in the market maybe. Of course I have a Google account so I get the iGoogle pages which are still the old simple ones when I'm not logged in.

Cheers

Dave

Some photos about the storm we had last night are here on the Hessian Broadcasting web site: Click.

That's a sizeable puddle they're paddling in - still, they took their shoes off! Not too keen about the taxi, though :(

• RMweb Gold

That's a sizeable puddle they're paddling in - still, they took their shoes off! Not too keen about the taxi, though :(

Google Translate turns Hesse into Sydney!

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Safe journey Mike.

After lots of rain today is clear, but more rain possible on Sunday.

I dreamed I was awake but could hear my alarm going off in the distance. But it was my alarm, right next to my head and I was asleep. Damn. I prefer to be awake before the alarm. Less of a shock to the system.

Two days till yhe weekend.

Ready for the exhibition Jam? All wheels and track cleaned and electrics tested?

Nope, no, no.. oh and no wink.gifrolleyes.gif

Gosh, these exams really do leave you very little time for anything.

Incidentally, Don, I never clean the wheels (for a start I don't know how to!) although one or two are incredibly mucky and are probably why they can be temperamental at times. I can test the electrics and clean the track now.

Saturday will mean I'll have to move the layout down a flight of stairs (it only just fits at 6ft long when going round the sharp corners!) If there is one thing that I have got to somehow include on the rebuild it is uncoupling by some automatic means. The time spent to uncouple, no matter how short, loses peoples attention and they wander off. Oh yes, and the other job - a fiddle yard!

Morning all! Two days off now biggrin.gif

As for the alarm problems - it happens to me every morning... Somehow I always manage to wake up just before it goes off.

Sounds like parts of the world have really had a battering from the weather.

Hi Jam,

I had stock derailing which had not happened before and discovered that the uneven muck build up on the wheels was the cause.

It's a tedious, time consuming job, requiring holding one wheel still whilst scraping the dirt off the other one, but necessary and it solved the derailing problem. (19 coaches + 30 wagons = 392 wheels. A whole days work)

Good luck for smooth running and speedy uncoupling! :rolleyes:

Gosh, these exams really do leave you very little time for anything.

How are they going?

Incidentally, Don, I never clean the wheels (for a start I don't know how to!) although one or two are incredibly mucky and are probably why they can be temperamental at times. I can test the electrics and clean the track now.

These might help:

from Trix

by Peco

Just be aware they can will shred friction tyres!

Saturday will mean I'll have to move the layout down a flight of stairs (it only just fits at 6ft long when going round the sharp corners!)
Good luck for Minstead Village Hall on Sunday!

Sounds like parts of the world have really had a battering from the weather.

Between Swindon and Bath didn't do too badly either yesterday!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

What do you use to scrape the dirt off? I don't have quite as many wheels to clean as you, probably about 12 wagons worth, no coaches, and half a dozen locos. Best have some breakfast and then start to prepare the layout for the exhibition...

Most of my problems are down to poor trackwork - this should all be solved by the time I have rebuilt the layout.

I also need to finalise the plan for the new version soon so I can start construction/destruction laugh.gif

Edit: John, just seen your reply - I will look into them, looks like they could be rather useful.

John, I was not meaning Loco wheels, but coach and wagon wheels. For locos I use two of the Trix cleaners joined together so that longer locos sit across both and all wheels are cleaned simultaneously