The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Late on parade today, switched my computer on to check my e-mails and all I got was a 'Sign up to G-Mail' thing, no matter how I tried I could not access my e-mails. I had to contact Virgin Media, my internet provider to sort the problem out but that meant shutting down all my tabs and having to reset my passwords. :rtfm:

This thing about Google and Virgin media is a pain.  I got locked out of Google Calendar and You Tube for 2 months in the process and was forced to set up a Google+ account and a gmail address (That I won't use) to get back on, neither company were any help and things only started to happen when i started posting their emails on Facebook.  So far my 'ntlworld' email account has stayed safe but there is always time. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Fully caught up, and also hoping for news of Jock 67B (who is a fellow Ayrshire exile, so we have a little affinity as 67B was my local unbunkable shed - OOT was the most common shout on trying to get in).  Great to see that Don is still contributing and keeping chipper.

Weather here could go either way, and I've been handed a quite unusual task to tackle this afternoon, as 30747 has said she's fed up with the arrangement of my loco and rolling stock collections in the glass cupboard, and has suggested that "you might like to move them around".  To me, the best moving would be round a layout, but that (despite my now being retired) seems to be some time away yet.  I plan to take 30747 to see my neighbour's garage layout in the hope that it might help her to develop a modelling mojo on my behalf!!!!

Also seem to be taking a long time to get my head round all the features and navigation on the new TV box, which has got masses of extra features, and also an enormous range of on demand content.  How did we cope when we only had two channels and no recording or on demand facilities - ah yes, I remember, the TV companies used to show two channels of quality viewing, not 100+ channels of crap and repeats - even most of the on demand stuff is second hand.

Off to do some sorting, then, so

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

I don't know where the parrots came from, but I was playing an old game when suddenly there was a cut-scene with a parrot talking cr*p... coincidence much?!

Hope everyone is having a fine Saturday. I'm off to work later to wash up for an outside catering event for 200 people as well as the (probably busy) pub... I think last year I was lucky to get out by 1am - wish me luck!

I was expecting to work tonight, then told I wasn't needed, so I was to go to a party this evening, then told I was needed at a different pub, then I asked to be stationed at my normal pub. (I really freak out with anything new) So I'd rather wash-up for 200 people and know the job has been done properly, then go to a pub I've never worked at and do something wrong, only to come back to my normal pub tomorrow to a mess. I might also note there is a buffet for 60 people tomorrow as well as the regular busy Sunday. Good god wasn't that long-winded, time for a cuppa! I've said to myself, once I've done 2 years of washing up, I will quit whether I have another job lined up or not. Just need to hold out until October then.

Hope Jock is OK, and that Don is recovering as well as possible!
I'm off to relax, see y'all on the "other side".

• RMweb Premium

This thing about Google and Virgin media is a pain.  I got locked out of Google Calendar and You Tube for 2 months in the process and was forced to set up a Google+ account and a gmail address (That I won't use) to get back on, neither company were any help and things only started to happen when i started posting their emails on Facebook.  So far myt 'ntlworld' email account has stayed safe but there is always time. 

Jamie

Actually Virgin Media sorted it out for me. Problem is that it keeps coming up every time I switch on but I find an easy way to get round that is to click on the back arrow to get the Virgin sign in screen. 

• RMweb Gold

Ah, parrot.  the place I used to lodge in Frome had a parrot - could be a good old by at times but occasionally popped out for a fly around and the whole household got to work trying to find him.

Anyway one Sunday I duly succeeded not only in finding him but actually tempting him to accompany back home - he decided sitting on my shoulder was the best place to be.  As I walked round the corner into Locks Hill one of our Relief Signalman passed me in his car heading for Blatchbridge Jcn (I think); all my signalbox visitis for the following months were greeted with a comment along the lines of 'where's the parrot?' or 'have you left the parrot in the car'? or from the wittier souls (usually ex S&D Jt - weird sense of humour that lot) 'would this happen to be a flying visit or shall I put the kettle on'?

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

I decided to bite the bullet and sign up for g-mail after all, though I have no intention of using it. Problem was that several user names that I wanted to use were all taken, such as screwgmail and stuffgmail plus a few others that I will not repeat here.

• Like 1

I can laugh now, just about, but was between screaming and crying earlier!

I was in extreme pain from 10: 00  until Tim was contacted in Paarl, 35 miles away:to take to the ER.

The Night Sister had botched fitting my bag with the result that I could noy GO.

The ER only spotted the error after administering a IV anaesthetic.

HUGE RELIEF!

I stood Tim lunch out at a Steak Hous

• RMweb Premium

Do they still use this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83186-some-late-90s-pics-from-andy-sharpe/# 6th pic in series

in Leipzig?

Rgds,

Andy, ISTR to have seen a four-wheel departmental tram some time ago, but it might have been outfitted with a snow plough. LVB have set aside at least one partially refurbished Tatra T4D for work trains, though. There also is a pair of rail grinder/inspection cars - one still visibly derived from a T4D, the other heavily rebuilt with a new body.

Edit: That's the new-bodied one...

mobile.138qei0c.jpg

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

Still dry here but windy again ,so braved shopping of a sort this morning with Mrs H and spent this afternoon sorting the rear view camera on the campervan, of course the new one has different connectors - grr.  BNC on the old one and phono on the new, soldering irons both at work and no adapters can be found although I know I have some - somewhere.

I have felt a bit out of sorts for a couple of days too, not slept well but then again I never do these days due to the hip, so don't think that's the cause.  Just feel very tired and lackadaisical.

• RMweb Premium

I am not certain but I think you may have the partially retired blues Neil, because you have had a stress job for years and the adrenaline that goes with it and now you haven't I !think I saw you write 'I look forward to work now'. I am sure it will even out gradually.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think so Mick, it's been Manx Grand Prix week so have had a lot of adrenaline!  I have ridden 500 miles this week too, a lot on a little island and I thought I was just tired, but it's more than that, I think a little bug is having a fight somewhere in my works.  My head is OK, but the body has flat batteries, so we're off out for a curry later and a beer or two, see if that helps!

I should go and play with these.....

post-10195-0-74052000-1409417557_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Everybody ready for the big Freeview retune on Wednesday 3.9.14? According to the Radio Times, this is "to make room for 99 new entertainment channels." Shirley, there will be room somewhere for at least one hour a week on model railways?

Nah, 'bottle, wake up and smell the reheated ersatz coffee ...

Shirley, there will be room somewhere.........

.....and don`t call me Shirley! :jester:

It`d be nice if they could simply replace the {many} sordid phone-sex/chat channels on the Freeview platform and replace them with programming for broad/normal interests. :nono:

It`d be nice if they could simply replace the {many} sordid phone-sex/chat channels on the Freeview platform and replace them with programming for broad/normal interests. :nono:

Was going to post DISAGREE but the Wife would slap me, ahhaha

Bodge.

Admit it, Debs, that's exactly how you'd have responded to surely!

Not sure what normal is, but I'm quite interested in broads ...

Edited by bluebottle

Everybody ready for the big Freeview retune on Wednesday 3.9.14? According to the Radio Times, this is "to make room for 99 new entertainment channels." Shirley, there will be room somewhere for at least one hour a week on model railways?

Nah, 'bottle, wake up and smell the reheated ersatz coffee ...

You might not want to drink it but have you considered using it as a weathering dye?

What do we need another 99 channels for? Zulu's on at least once a week as it is.

Good morning all. No word from Jock yet it seems - I hope everything is ok .

I was another feeling a little bit delicate this morning. I caught up with a couple of friends last night for a couple of pints. One of my friends is over from Oz, stopping off to visit his parents this weekend on route back home from Geneva. It was an enjoyable night full of the old college jokes etc. Hopefully it helped to raise the spirits of the third member of our group. Mark is currently writing the dissertation for his third degree having returned to Uni to escape a job he hated. He is finding the studies tough at present and can often border on depression. Living at home, at the age of 37, with no female company does not help him. Hopefully we cheered him up a bit.

Today has been quite frustrating. The expected Amazon order never turned up before I left to watch Derby County. On my return there is no card pushed through so I do not know if they have even attempted delivery. The match proved to be frustrating too. 1-0 up against Ipswich early on, we lost a player to injury and stopped playing. Ipswich came to frustrate and did a good job and fought back for a 1-1 draw. A few questionable decisions went against us which left us frustrated.

More frustration came from E-On today. They finally wrote to us to set up account for the electricity and gas they have been providing since June. I tried to call them, but hung up after 30 minutes on hold. Will have to try again on Monday.