The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Day out at Llangollen Railway yesterday.  Weather forecast was for a bit of rain around lunch time. Yeah, right.  Try again - drizzle then a bit of sunshine around lunchtime then umbrellas out in force by the end of the afternoon..

Still, we had a great day.  It's a Gala weekend "Along Western Lines" with special guest engine Ivatt 2-6-0 No 46521, an original Cambrian loco, running alongside 3802, 80072, 45337 and Class 26 D5310.  Apart from passenger trains they also had a freight train running along the line with shunting at Carrog Station.  We also tried out the cafe at Berwyn Station for the first time which had a display on the Ruabon-Barmouth route.  Best cup of tea of the day in GWR Berwyn Station mugs (also for sale in the cafe along with teapot, milk jug, etc.)

Will try and post a few photos this evening.

Polly

• Like 5

Morning all from the boring borough. Bit tender this morning after yesterday's street feast followed by a rather long session in the Hare & Billet.

The sun is out so its off to the shops shortly. No doubt that will include breakfast in one of the nice little cafes we have. Welling may not be the most salubrious neighbourhood in London but we have 90% of what we need within a 10 minute walk. Beats the hell out of driving to some bloody big box centre and wasting half the day in traffic. (not sponsored by the Welling tourism or business development bureaus) We may even wander over to Park View Road this afternoon to watch the mighty Wings in action. Conference football. £15, real ale on the bar, proper standing terraces, and fun to watch.

Regarding the nice people at Amazon. I replaced the network cards in a couple of machines last week. Walked to the local mom&pop computer store picked up what I needed and voila. Total cost was 92p more than what Amazon wanted for the same thing incl postage. The offspring ordered his new wifi card from an Amazon seller the same day. He's still waiting for it 11 days later. Express shipping my arse!

Good to see Don back. Anyone have any word on Jock?

That's all from me for now. (stop cheering) Have a great weekend.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

There's a joke about the parrot's words after being shut in the refrigerator with frozen turkey.the 

I've just Googled that. That is two parrot related searches today, I wonder what all the targeted advertising is going to be about now?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Living room painting is underway and I understand I might be called in for a bit of rubbing-down where accuracy ( :O ) is required but apart from that my main duty has involved moving things to the dining room and will no doubt also involve putting them back (if I'm allowed to keep my ready reference pile of magazines that is).  Meanwhile satisfaction is being expressed as you can see the course the paintbrush has followed and there have been no fifth thoughts about the colour.  So it was down the chippy last night - which mightily pleased our fur legged friends.

My big event was actually managing to order online - at the seventh attempt - a ticket for RMweb Live.

Have a good day one and all while meanwhile I shall see what today brings with certain members of the wider, and lees inclined to think, members of this parish.

• Like 1

There are records of Parrot Fighting as a rustic 'sport'.

Strangely, Parrots were seemingly not able to speak and fight.

One particular bruiser of a bird defeated all comers until the odds were 20/1 on.

What passed for Wise Guys in those days decided to rig a fight and substitute a vulture as an opponent.

The parrot won but hardly had a feather left on it.

He spoke for the first time ever: "I had to take my coat off to that one".

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Just back from half yearly 'school uniform' shopping. Into town for shops opening. Usual shop. Usual items. Usual size. (Quick try on, just to check summer Hols hadn't been too disastrous on the waistline front). Back home in just under an hour. My kind of shopping.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, woken early by kitten and then slept later than planned. Weather wise not raining at the moment so time to get some washing in..... No shopping today or at least that was the plan. Have a good weekend all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, it has ceased raining for the moment!

Looks like an afternoon in the shed running trains and listening to footie on the radio which is not a bad thing.

Talking of parrots

This lady approaches a priest and tells him,
"Father, I have a problem. I have these two talking female parrots, but they only know how to say one thing."
"What do they say?" inquired the priest.
"They only know how to say, 'Hi, we're prostitutes. Do you want to have some fun?' "
"That's terrible!" the priest exclaimed, "but I have a solution to your problem. Bring your two talking female parrots over to my house and I will put them with my two male talking parrots who I taught to pray and read the bible. My parrots will teach your parrots to stop saying that terrible phrase and your female parrots will learn to praise and worship."
"Thank you!" responded the woman.
So the next day, the lady brings her female parrots to the priests house. The priest two male parrots are holding rosary beads and praying in their cage. The lady puts her female parrots in with the male parrots and the female parrots say,
"Hi, we are prostitutes. Do you want to have some fun?"
One male parrot looks over at the other male parrot and exclaims,
"Put the bibles away. Our prayers have been answered!"

Enjoy your day

Edited by Shedman5

Mornin' all,

Overcast but (was) dry in the Staffs Moorlands.

Tasks this morning include putting the finishing touches to our 2014 fund raising boat trip...ensuring that all 47 participants have coach departure time/location etc...checking route for roadworks/potential hold ups etc...checking coach details...checking boat details etc...done

Captions to write for a forthcoming Scalefour News article...done

Embsay railway chlorine tank measurements to dig out and translate for a fellow modeller...done

Transferring software/hardware to new laptop following the demise of the old one...done

Saves wondering what to do with a day off! 

Enjoy whatever you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the parroty error jokes I wish I could remember the silly IT jokes we used to to start the week with at the sixth form college.

I think I quite like (as a modern proverb)

Beware geeks bearing gifs.

• RMweb Premium

Late on parade today, switched my computer on to check my e-mails and all I got was a 'Sign up to G-Mail' thing, no matter how I tried I could not access my e-mails. I had to contact Virgin Media, my internet provider to sort the problem out but that meant shutting down all my tabs and having to reset my passwords. :rtfm: