The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well, not had one "that" expensive - though I did lust after a couple of Breitling examples for a while, but as a pilot since I was 18 (long lapsed due to high costs!!!) I've always had a chronograph of some description, usually moderately high priced within reason. They generally tended to break after 5-10 years of pretty rough treatment. Then I found this;

My “good” watch is the “Omega Speedmaster 125". Same action as Neil Armstrong wore on the Moon - not that that had anything to do with my choice, of course....

Apparently I’m the only person to have had metal fatigue in the strap - caused by very heavy use with the .45ACP round from 1979 - 1984. I fire a pistol ambidextrously but mostly with the  left hand, by choice. I’m talking, with continuous training, of up to 400 rounds per week and no light loads.

http://chronomaddox.com/125edit50.gif

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

I gave up setting the date a long time ago. I kept forgetting to adjust it every February, April, June, September and November so I just gave up in the end. Its showing the 27th at the moment so I think it will be showing the correct date this coming October/November. 

You can actually set it for Leap Years, mine was until the other day -  if you check it online - the biggest issue (as you will see) is find your precise model.....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

So all the hot air expended on when the Hornby P2 may be delivered is spent... guess the next thing will be "it doesn't go round 1st radius curves"... well neither could the real thing.... or  "widget X is wrong"  well get on and change it...

Heavens to murgatroyds what will they do if you can't get an RTR rendition of their demanded loco???   They could always go back to what we used to be able to do.. kit build it or modify it...

Sorry rant over...

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So all the hot air expended on when the Hornby P2 may be delivered is spent... guess the next thing will be "it doesn't go round 1st radius curves"... well neither could the real thing.... or  "widget X is wrong"  well get on and change it...

Heavens to murgatroyds what will they do if you can't get an RTR rendition of their demanded loco???   They could always go back to what we used to be able to do.. kit build it or modify it...

Sorry rant over...

I did a double take there and read demanded as demented - not surprising really when you think about the way that thread has gone.

• Like 1

I don't care what Douglas Adams said about digital watches, I wouldn't go out of the door without my Casio F-91W. Its only weakness is the strap, but if it splits, the easiest thing to do is lash out £6.99 for a new watch. I've been using these and earlier, similar models for thirty-odd years, and I wish they'd been available earlier still. Running interval training sessions as a schoolboy, the only reasonably reliable timer I had was a 25 bob Timex pocket watch with a miniscule seconds hand dial. Difficult to check lap times while holding the watch under your nose. I progressed to a cheap stop watch with an unbreakable plastic “glass”, which seemed like a good idea until I realised that clutching it tightly tended to impede the progress of the hands. Many a “world record” was set on the grass track at Woodhouse back in the late fifties. Anyway, shaking up a mechanical watch is not a good idea.

At the end of the seventies, the then new Casios solved all these problems. The digital display is easy to read; a quick glance down at your wrist with the finish in sight might give you the incentive to “go for a time”. All my best road race times were “so many minutes and fifty-nine point something seconds”.

I can't even jog now, but I still check how long it takes me to walk up to ASDA and back ...

post-7286-0-23557500-1409247862.jpg

• Like 7

I like a straightforward watch with a plain face and a simple day/date - none of those fancy Chronograph thingies thank you very much!

Eight years ago for our silver wedding SWMBO bought me a nice Rotary watch with a face I really like.

After about 18 months the battery went, so on her advice I took it to a stall in Cardiff Indoor Market that she has used - this being my first battery watch.

Well the lady put a new battery in but it wouldn't work, so I took it to the local jewellers for them to have a look - it seems when she tried to change the battery she put her screwdriver through the coil! Cost me 40 quid for a new Rotary mechanism. When the battery fails now I always go back to the jeweller.

Been out taking even more pictures at Castell Coch for a new diaporama I am making for the Camera Club - that makes 700+ in total, will only need about 50 for the show so it's off to do some Lightroom work on them.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't care what Douglas Adams said about digital watches, I wouldn't go out of the door without my Casio F-91W. Its only weakness is the strap, but if it splits, the easiest thing to do is lash out £6.99 for a new watch. I've been using these and earlier, similar models for thirty-odd years, and I wish they'd been available earlier still. Running interval training sessions as a schoolboy, the only reasonably reliable timer I had was a 25 bob Timex pocket watch with a miniscule seconds hand dial. Difficult to check lap times while holding the watch under your nose. I progressed to a cheap stop watch with an unbreakable plastic “glass”, which seemed like a good idea until I realised that clutching it tightly tended to impede the progress of the hands. Many a “world record” was set on the grass track at Woodhouse back in the late fifties. Anyway, shaking up a mechanical watch is not a good idea.

At the end of the seventies, the then new Casios solved all these problems. The digital display is easy to read; a quick glance down at your wrist with the finish in sight might give you the incentive to “go for a time”. All my best road race times were “so many minutes and fifty-nine point something seconds”.

I can't even jog now, but I still check how long it takes me to walk up to ASDA and back ...

attachicon.gifF-91W.JPG

Do they still provide instructions in their own peculiar version of English, which I call 'Japlish'. 

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I was only off the air for a fairly short time with the change of the TV box to the new Humax one.  Got loads more features, but the "easy to follow on screen instructions" didn't appear, and 20 minutes with a blank screen resulted in a call to Mumbai or wherever, and went though all the usual checks

"is it plugged in?" "what colour is the power light?" "is your router working" "have you got the HDMI cable connected" "have you got the Ethernet cable connected" "can you access your Broadband?"  All yes, silence at the other end of the phone.  "can you check all the cables ARE tight?"  - pushed them all in, and suddenly there was a flicker on the screen when I knocked the brand new ethernet cable supplied with the box somewhere other than around the plugs.  "Ah well, the cable must be faulty"  IT WAS BRAND NEW!!!  Quick trip upstairs to where I keep all the odds and sods that I've accumulated over the years, and found a new one about thirty feet long, connected that up, and hey presto, we were in action.  The question of course is therefore about the quality of the supplied leads, so I also ditched the HDMI and used a really good one with gold connectors and oxygen free copper that cost about 45 quid - I was planning to use it anyway, but later once I had everything up and running.

End result was that I was late for Morrison's, and then due to really nasty traffic, almost didn't get to pick up 30747 from work - it took 45 minutes to get from Morecambe to the top of Lancaster - normally a fifteen minute drive.

Great to hear from our Don again - you can't keep a good man down.

Dog is demanding a walk, so..

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like a straightforward watch with a plain face and a simple day/date - none of those fancy Chronograph thingies thank you very much!

Eight years ago for our silver wedding SWMBO bought me a nice Rotary watch with a face I really like.

After about 18 months the battery went, so on her advice I took it to a stall in Cardiff Indoor Market that she has used - this being my first battery watch.

Well the lady put a new battery in but it wouldn't work, so I took it to the local jewellers for them to have a look - it seems when she tried to change the battery she put her screwdriver through the coil! Cost me 40 quid for a new Rotary mechanism. When the battery fails now I always go back to the jeweller.

Been out taking even more pictures at Castell Coch for a new diaporama I am making for the Camera Club - that makes 700+ in total, will only need about 50 for the show so it's off to do some Lightroom work on them.

Regards,

Dave

Many many years ago for some peculiar reason I represented the British Police force on Sale of the Century and among the things I won were 4 Rotary watches. I kept the ladies one that matched mine and when I got engaged to SWMBO a few years later gave her the matching watch.   They both lasted well over 20 years but eventually we both ended up with new ones from Rotary when they couldn't repair ours (At a very reduced price).   The new one I got flew off my wrist at work (When I collided with a fleeing villain on a blind corner)  It was eventually handed in at the nick after I put the word around the estate that life could become very unpleasant if it wasn't.   That got lost somewhere but SWMBO bought me my 3rd Rotary last Christmas so we've both had Rotaries for the last 36 years.   The only other memento of my TV appearance are some Black and White photos of me with my arms around Linda Hooks and Angela Daniels.  I did have a tape on VHS that a friend made at YTV when it was transmitted.  (Originally on a Scotch cassette system and later transferred) but SWMBO taped Corrie over it many years ago.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Oh, goodie. A "friend" just nominated me to pour a bucket of ice-cold water over my head. 

I understand the tradition is to nominate further people for the challenge....

Feeling mischevious! 

And no, I wasn't thinking of two ERers that may need a bucket of cold water thrown over them!  :jester:

...call me unfashionable but I've not worn a wristwatch since I've carried a mobile phone....some 20 yrs.

Dave

Dave, phones have to be off whilst flying. I travel a lot on-and-off for business and even occasionally for pleasure and therefore tend to still wear a watch.

My son thinks only old people wear wristwatches!

Remind him all pilots and seafaring folks wear watches as a necessity. No cell-phone towers 6 miles up OR out on the oceans, and many places/times no wifi either. Show him a "record" or a cassette tape sometime too :)

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

evening.

Remember those clean bikes?  30 miles in the peeing rain this morning to the vintage club run starting point - they're filthy now!  Bah.

Watches - I too like a plain face, my current fave is a Danish Skaagen ultra thin, only 150 quid or so but it attracts a lot of attention.

post-10195-0-19397700-1409258463.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Remind him all pilots and seafaring folks wear watches as a necessity. No cell-phone towers 6 miles up OR out on the oceans, and many places/times no wifi either. Show him a "record" or a cassette tape sometime too :)

He was probably being humorous at my expense, almost certainly when I was doing my  "Has anyone moved/seen my wristwatch" routine. Matthew will certainly know what a cassette tape looks like, he had quite a few with Pingu, Fireman Sam etc stories on them.

• Like 3

Evening all. Very late tonight after a long and enjoyable day on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. I was up at 5am and on the road by 6.00. Despite the 50mph limit along the whole stretch of the M1 I arrived well before the first train.

A nice run to Whitby and back behind the Black 5 "Eric Treacy" was followed by a run to Pickering and back. This was a spectacular, if troublesome run. We left Grosmont 25 minutes late after the first train from Pickering held us up. However the wet rails gave the Black 5 plenty of problems and it slipped to a stand twice before it even reached the level crossing. With sand on the rails we finally got moving but the three mile length of Goathland bank proved to be a battle. The loco slipped several times before regaining its feet, crawling into Goathland some 30 minutes behind schedule. The noise was stunning though. There is nothing better than hearing a Stanier engine hard at work and enjoyed the sound aplenty today with two return trips between Grosmont and Pickering as well as the run to Whitby.  A total of over 84 miles Black 5 haulage!

Here are some promise pics - Debs if you don't want to see trains look away now!

post-13478-0-56218800-1409264783_thumb.jpg

Black 5 "Eric Treacy" at Grosmont.

post-13478-0-55745200-1409264842_thumb.jpg

B1 61264 in disguise.

post-13478-0-28399700-1409264896_thumb.jpg

Q6 63395 under the old Falsgrove gantry.

post-13478-0-39066600-1409264948_thumb.jpg

post-13478-0-13904400-1409264978_thumb.jpg

Passing trains at Grosmont

post-13478-0-35737500-1409265018_thumb.jpg

post-13478-0-75577100-1409265045_thumb.jpg

The B1 passing Moorgates - I just managed to drive here after leaving my train at Grosmont in time to snap this last steam hauled Pickering bound train.

• Like 15