The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all and a belated Happy Birthday to Don (and good to hear things seem to be looking up for him).

I wonder how Jock's op went? I hope well and that he's recuperating well and "enjoying" (hem-hem) the drugs, the nurses and the hospital "food" (in no particular order...)

Last nights performance of Twelfth Night was, from my perspective, approaching where we should be... this was partly due to a very responsive audience (= positive feedback loop). But still no positive feedback from director :-(

However, the assistant director's teacher friend sent the assistant director the feedback from the teacher's class that saw the play and it was very positive (quite amazing, considering these are teenagers we are talking about). My character (Sir Toby Belch) was singled out for positive comments, a couple of kids opining that I should be in "Game of Thrones" (whatever that is). Eight more performances to go.... then a holiday and then back to railway modelling....

(puts on southern US accent) "Have a nice day, y'all"

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 9

Morning All,

Great to see you back Don.  Get well soon, and a belated many happy returns!

Also congratulations to Sherry and Ian.

Around here, the weather is reasonably good this morning.  Around 4-5 oktas and set to be sunny later on.  The temperature is due to go up too.

Oh well, I have quite a lot to do today, so time for a coffee and better get on with things!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I thought it was just overcast but on going outside to deposit the binbag by the road I realised it was raining.

I will probably get on with some minor household jobs today, I believe a package (loco)may arrive today. I thought another one (phone battery) would as well but the tracking for that indicates it has been holidaying in Austria 

Tony

• Like 1

I received an $8.00 watch in the mail yesterday. It’s accurate and lightweight and cheaper than a battery. One of my old watches is worth over $2,000.00 and I never wear it anymore....(it’s not as accurate either), I paid 130.00 quid for it in January 1976 at “Watches of Switzerland" in Bond Street.

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all..bit damp here!

Pete, my most accurate watch is a wind up Russian submariners one...it's a long story....it acts as a fallback when battery failure stops the one I wear all of the time.

Off out today so stay calm and stay as healthy as you can

Baz

PS two pots of pease pudding now chilling in the fridge.yummy!!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Oh please do, I'd really appreciate it and I'll tell Debs I made you do it!

Last time I was there was years back, my kids were both under 5 <sigh>

We went there too when the kids were small.  We spent a week in the wooden chalets at Keldy near Pickering being woken up in the morning to wild screams of "there's a rabbit....(etc)"

Managed to do Whitby and Robin Hood Bay as well.

Wonder if we'll ever visit the NYMR again?  <sigh>

Polly

morning all,damp morning in chesterfield,missis and jack going to second hand market this morning,no doubt coming back with a selection of old cars or lego.....get well soon don,hopefull off at the weekend so might try and get to the coast,have a good day all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, taking MrsB to hospital to see her hip surgeon it is now 10 months since the second op and still not working right, her left hip is giving up under the strain as well so he either gets something done or discharges her so we can get a second opinion. Dismal weather matches the way I feel at the moment. Happy birthday Don my Dad had his bladder removed lasted years after it was done and the surgeon that did it was barred from practising after.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but dull start, sunny spells & showers are forecast.

Nothing much planned today except a visit to the new Wickes store up the road. It's much nearer than B & Q and provided the tills are manned by anything resembling a human being & not a machine they will probably get my future business. What an exciting prospect that is!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

I received an $8.00 watch in the mail yesterday. It’s accurate and lightweight and cheaper than a battery. One of my old watches is worth over $2,000.00 and I never wear it anymore....(it’s not as accurate either), I paid 130.00 quid for it in January 1976 at “Watches of Switzerland" in Bond Street.

Best, Pete.

My watch is almost 15 years old and I've never had to put a new battery in it as it doesn't require one. Its a self charging 'Citizen' watch where the watch face is a photo electric cell. The only thing I have had to replace is the strap.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Quite bright outside although still some cloud (quite a lot actually) lurking.

But some good news first paint sample No.4 turned out to be the right one so herself will soon be gearing me up for furniture shifting and my Jewson account will again be working hard.  Secondly it was proper job pasties for dinner last night and the pastry was back to normal and  much better than the experiment with the last lot (the bad news is that the one leftover which was in my mind for lunch today has instead made its way into laddo's hands for lunch as he had an early contract review meeting with Waitrose this morning  and another this evening - can't win 'em all).

Have a good day one & all and great to have Don back with us (shame about the brandy tho'). 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Dull and dreary here at the moment but brightening by the minute, it's warm so at least the temperature is ok.

I don't think I've posted this photo of the long tailed tits attacking the fat balls, 9 visible and another few were waiting in the wings (so to speak)

post-6662-0-72481800-1409220187_thumb.jpg

Have a good day all.

• Like 13

My watch is almost 15 years old and I've never had to put a new battery in it as it doesn't require one. Its a self charging 'Citizen' watch where the watch face is a photo electric cell. The only thing I have had to replace is the strap.

I’ve got one of those too!

I woke up the other day and it had gone haywire! The date was wrong, time was wrong etc., and I couldn’t reset it. I was very happy with it until then.  I have to search out online for details as I lost the instructions.

You’re right though, extremely good watch and (usually) very accurate.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got one of those too!

I woke up the other day and it had gone haywire! The date was wrong, time was wrong etc., and I couldn’t reset it. I was very happy with it until then.  I have to search out online for details as I lost the instructions.

You’re right though, extremely good watch and (usually) very accurate.

Best, Pete.

I gave up setting the date a long time ago. I kept forgetting to adjust it every February, April, June, September and November so I just gave up in the end. Its showing the 27th at the moment so I think it will be showing the correct date this coming October/November. 

• RMweb Gold

I had a really cheap Casio watch that had an analogue watch face but the date was digital. It kept perfect time and did everything except adjust for summertime but the plastic strap kept breaking and replacements became difficult to source. I've got a slightly more expensive Citizen now which charges by sunlight. I hardly ever wear my wristwatch now, I barely know what day it is and apart from medical appointments I don't need to know the time accurately. I'm a bit obsessive about being early for transport related things but the multiple timers available on my phone deal with that quite nicely.

• RMweb Gold

Time for another holiday snap.

post-6719-0-10274200-1409232660_thumb.jpg

This holiday would have been quite pleasing to sub spotters, this was the Estonian Navy "Lembit" although for much of its life it was part of the Red Banner fleet in the Baltic. Now in a museum. We saw a submarine in every country we visited except Sweden. Though Lembit was the only one we could visit!

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Time for another holiday snap.

attachicon.gifLembit.jpg

This holiday would have been quite pleasing to sub spotters, this was the Estonian Navy "Lembit" although for much of its life it was part of the Red Banner fleet in the Baltic. Now in a museum. We saw a submarine in every country we visited except Sweden. Though Lembit was the only one we could visit!

Tony

ooh err.. a proper boat.....from Barrow I presume??

Baz

• Like 4

Best, Pete.

Well, not had one "that" expensive - though I did lust after a couple of Breitling examples for a while, but as a pilot since I was 18 (long lapsed due to high costs!!!) I've always had a chronograph of some description, usually moderately high priced within reason. They generally tended to break after 5-10 years of pretty rough treatment. Then I found this;

post-20244-0-53133300-1409234307.jpg

It's a full-blown chronograph, with the addition of a second digital time-zone, day/date/alarm and timer all rolled into one, backlit also, China made (of course!!)stainless steel with Japanese movement. Comes with the RED face shown (my favourite), black, white and silver. All for the princely sum of around $25 USD on Amazon. They run pretty well and amazingly accurate, and I usually get about 2-years out of each one, again watches for some reason experience some rough treatment when I'm wearing them.

Last time they had a deal and I got two for the price of 1!!! Some Amazon special, so I didn't complain :)

Very different climatic conditions prevail here today. Was 15 overnight, will only make 22 today with a high overcast and light breeze, autumnal almost. Our three day weekend looks like being coool with highs only around 26-27 and some thunderstorm activity.

This weekend - including tomorrow which I'm taking off, sees us heading to Grand Forks, North Dakota for the last time in a while probably. Driving back in a one-way rental moving van Sunday will be rather a slower affair than getting up there, expecting it to maybe take the best part of 6 hours to get back <sigh>.

We will be retrieving Jemma and all her stuff as she finishes her job at the University of North Dakota Aerospace College. Hoping to make it up there Friday by 2PM so we can be part of her last "tour" of the Aerospace School in her official capacity as a Tour Guide for folks interested in attending the Aerospace College.

I remember when WE went on such a tour when she was considering the school and how impressive and daunting it seemed to be facing a 5+ year challenge to become one of the graduating Commercial Avation professionals. She is now a senior flight instructor and the senior tour guide, Positions that scared her all those years ago and that she doubted she could ever attain.

She starts "at the bottom" training with Compass Airlines a week today!

Ack! Didn't mean to ramble on like that - so where are those pictures of NYMR already???? :senile:  :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

ooh err.. a proper boat.....from Barrow I presume??

Baz

Yes, 1930 something. Estonia and Finland had a secret pact to use their 4 submarines to blockade the Baltic to prevent Russian expansion. What happened next wasn't fun for the Estonians.