The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning - HUMP and drive to office day today and it was ... C..R..A..P

I completely forgot that most of the schools went back this week and the result is that around the time I want to head to work on a leisurely 15-20 minute drive, I'm now faced with all the numb-nuts and soccer-moms driving their SUVs with Starbucks in one hand and the little cherubs in the rear seats, chattering on their cell phones as they go! They drive some fo the most powerful vehicles on the road, but can't even manage to realise it's rush-hour and actually PULL OUT into the traffic unless the gap is capable of handling a bloody 747!!!! Grrrrr... When I went ot school I either had to ride my bike, or take the bus, what happened to letting them survive on their own!!! - Sorry for the rant, but it took me 50 minutes to get here today  :(

Hoping for good news from Jock and Don, and thanks Tim for updating us - thoughts with all ER people, all of whom are special.

Side note: Whilst it's probably NOT the thing we should think about, I'm wondering if other ERs have made provisions for having someone close notify on here if anything "happens" to them, however temporary? With no other connection to you folks except here,  I have had a discussion with Mrs about opening ER and posting a message - not trying to be a party-pooper, just have had folks on an aviation group I'm part of "disappear" without word and it's quite disconcerting <sigh>

Lovely day out otherwise, 17 (snap, Pete) but only going for 26 today, sunny low humidity and a light breeze, very enjoyable.

OK - back to the working/technical/software development stuff for me...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all...

I'm having something of a bad conscience mentioning such things in light of the health issues some of our band are having... Given that the jobsworths at school admin still do not give any impression of moving, I have now made an appointment with a lawyer to discuss what else we might do. This'll be next Wednesday. I guess that's very much the flip side of living in a country priding itself on its administrative thoroughness...

But, I continue hoping that Don and Jock will be well and on the mend soon!

Hello. It's really ME. I'm back if only temporarily.

A HUGE Thank you for all the wishes on my behalf.

It's a long story, so I won't bore you with it, maybe in instalments, over time.

My very special Tim (Bless HIM forever) has given you the gist.

I'm not overjoyed but neither am I depressed

Poor plumbing is better than dead! :locomotive:

Today is my 75th Birthday. Believe it or not, it is NOT my worst Birthday ever. It's not even particularly bad..

Gormless remains as Gormless as ever. 

His total lack of Gorm and the ongoing never varying interplay between Bam and Stan (both are deaf and talk to each other simultaneously) provide daily amusement for Mike and I.

In giving you my update, Tim browsed the latest posts and noted it was a World Wide Weather Report!

During my absence in hospital we had weather every day!

Again, thanks for all the good wishes, which are MUCH APPRECIATED.

Also thinking of  Jock.

me, Don.

• Like 5

Yay!! Welcome back Don and Happy Birthday...hang in there, we're all with you as you already know.

Hope there's plenty of cake for your birthday, and they don't burn down the building with all the candles :jester:  :jester:  :senile:

Good Day All, and good to see Don back...happy birthday chap & many more of them.   Fingers crossed for Jock too.    As to cake...regular  appearance in my weekly shop in Lagos is  "Aunt Bessies"  cake mix,  add a couple of eggs  water  (or oil)......bit of mixing, 35 mins  in the oven  -  result!  ( cost is around  £3:60).  

More later.....not sure what the plan is for today yet...

Be good,

Trev.

• Like 4

Side note: Whilst it's probably NOT the thing we should think about, I'm wondering if other ERs have made provisions for having someone close notify on here if anything "happens" to them, however temporary? With no other connection to you folks except here,  I have had a discussion with Mrs about opening ER and posting a message - not trying to be a party-pooper, just have had folks on an aviation group I'm part of "disappear" without word and it's quite disconcerting <sigh>

I had been thinking about that, too, Ian; thanks for putting it into words. Obviously there are those whose absence would matter a lot to a lot of people, but even the lesser lights among regular posters could perhaps consider it a courtesy to have answered the question of "whatever happened to buggerlugs?"

I caused a bit of a stir in my own little patch when I rushed off to visit a friend with terminal illness, forgetting to tell my neighbours and to leave the usual package of keys, contact numbers etc. That evening, an irate Miss bb called my mobile to ask where the devil I was. Several neighbours had noticed the unopened curtains, received no answer on my house phone, and were discussing the best way of breaking down the door - until one remembered an old schoolfriend of my daughter's who still lived nearby.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I didn't deserve neighbours like that!

And so say both of us, Don! Happy birthday and take care of yourself as you overcome this latest set back. Please tell Tim he is a grand chap for keeping us posted.

You share your birthday with (what would have been) my 43rd Wedding Anniversary. Ian & I celebrated by driving to Le Mans to choose an engagement ring! It has to be altered so we shall return in 10 days to collect. Very happy to have reached another milestone

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday Don - glad you're here to share it with us - and many more of them I hope.

And yes, I do have a 'reserve informant' carefully stashed away - and she has done just that for us in the past (and she doesn't tell her mother what I post on here and in return I won't tell her brother what she posts ;) ).

Edit to add PS  - well done Sherry & Ian, pics please when it arrives (you do need them for insurance reasons as well so not just us lot of gawpers)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6

I had been thinking about that, too, Ian; thanks for putting it into words. Obviously there are those whose absence would matter a lot to a lot of people, but even the lesser lights among regular posters could perhaps consider it a courtesy to have answered the question of "whatever happened to buggerlugs?"

I caused a bit of a stir in my own little patch when I rushed off to visit a friend with terminal illness, forgetting to tell my neighbours and to leave the usual package of keys, contact numbers etc. That evening, an irate Miss bb called my mobile to ask where the devil I was. Several neighbours had noticed the unopened curtains, received no answer on my house phone, and were discussing the best way of breaking down the door - until one remembered an old schoolfriend of my daughter's who still lived nearby.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I didn't deserve neighbours like that!

Gordon, I really needed to add a "funny" to that post as the word "buggerlugs" hit a chord, both made me laugh quite heartily and sad at the same time - great friend of mine who passed away a few years back now used it all the time, and I miss hearing it/him - not part of the local colloquialisms in Minnesota, oddly enough :jester:

And so say both of us, Don! Happy birthday and take care of yourself as you overcome this latest set back. Please tell Tim he is a grand chap for keeping us posted.

You share your birthday with (what would have been) my 43rd Wedding Anniversary. Ian & I celebrated by driving Le Mans to choose an engagement ring! It has to be altered so we shall return in 10 days to collect. Very happy to have reached another milestone

Pictures, pictures...we need to see shiny things, even if they AREN'T in red or blue boxes  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Boy, there's a load of best wishes I need to send out to Don for his birthday and display of fighting spirit, and of course to Sherry and Ian. All the very best to the three of you, if I may just put it like that!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Gordon, I really needed to add a "funny" to that post as the word "buggerlugs" hit a chord, both made me laugh quite heartily and sad at the same time - great friend of mine who passed away a few years back now used it all the time, and I miss hearing it/him - not part of the local colloquialisms in Minnesota, oddly enough :jester:

Here..,., don't you get ideas of pinching my sister's term of endearment for me.....she has always referred to me as buggerlugs.. why I don't know!

Baz

• RMweb Gold

You may have heard of Hurricane Christobal.........

It looks like it is going straight north of the British Isles but honestly it depends on the routing on the Jet Stream. It is likely to recurve.

Best, Pete.

Ruddy Americans. Always the curve ball.

Had a very pleasant day today pottering around the north end of the Yorshire Dales. There are still many reminders of Le Tour such as bikes on walls, bunting and what have you.

We paid a visit to Castle Bolton a charming little village with an .... erm ..... castle. Very interesting, mostly ruins but one tower has been carefully preserved as Mary Queen of Scots stayed there. It is full of sense of history it was quite eerie walking up the dark spiral staircase to her bedchamber. It was huge, quite light and airy, but you still couldn't help get the feeling, almost an awareness that ......... she could have built a hell of a model railway if she had wanted to.

• Like 2