The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hi guys. Some advice from the computer cognoscenti please. I am going to buy a new desktop as mine is 12 years old and ill and my son won't mend it any more.

Now, I don't mind shelling out for a new machine, but to get Word requires me to buy Office home and student for around a hundred quid, or to "subscribe" to Office 365 which is 50 odd quid for a year.

Now, my old copy of Office came free when I bought the machine and is still going fine.  I only want to type the odd letter, not interested in Powerpoint, databases, spreadsheets etc.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way into Word, or possibly another easy word processing program?

Thanks in advance

Ed

Hi Ed,

I use 'Open Office' ....a free download...just Google it.

Rgds

Dave

Just had a call from a gentleman with a strong accent from a "Consumer Marketing" firm, who wanted to take up two minutes of my time. It took 118 seconds to establish my correct name in full, then I felt it right and proper to inform him that he had had his two minutes and thanked him for his time .....

Dead quiet duty, maybe I could have phrased that better, so there are two threads on the German Railways forum. Now out to the garage to prepare Höchstädt for Telford.

Bill

• Like 8

As promised, here are a few pics from Bosnia

Preserved tank loco on Sarajevo station - looks like it's levitating; train to Mostar; 1950s Swedish coaches donated by SJJ; coach interior; view from back of train; aerial view of Sarajevo station, main building bottom left, taken from Avaz Towerpost-4951-0-74083200-1408973479_thumb.jpgpost-4951-0-63227600-1408973614_thumb.jpgpost-4951-0-72784500-1408973632_thumb.jpgpost-4951-0-93437300-1408973651_thumb.jpgpost-4951-0-51967700-1408973668_thumb.jpgpost-4951-0-88233700-1408973688_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Mike(Stationmaster), my son has given me a book which I imagine you might find entertaining, considering your off-shore activities! It's called 'Attention All Shipping, A Journey Round The Shipping Forecast' by Charlie Connelly (ISBN 0 349 11603 2) published in 2005. The author attempts to 'journey round the forecast, unearthing the history and culture behind one of Britain's best-loved broadcasting institutions'. I found it to be a fun holiday read this year and I now understand much more about the areas mentioned, rather than just what I understood from the charts when sailing. Don't know if you've read it or are even interested but it might be worth checking if your local library stocks it.

Jock.

A similar book I enjoy reading / looking through is Peter Collyer's Rain Later, Good : Illustrating the Shipping Forecast. Some superb impressions of the British sea and coastal areas, later published as Rain Later, Good : Painting the Shipping Forecast.

Polly

• Like 2

Hi guys. Some advice from the computer cognoscenti please. I am going to buy a new desktop as mine is 12 years old and ill and my son won't mend it any more.

Now, I don't mind shelling out for a new machine, but to get Word requires me to buy Office home and student for around a hundred quid, or to "subscribe" to Office 365 which is 50 odd quid for a year.

Now, my old copy of Office came free when I bought the machine and is still going fine.  I only want to type the odd letter, not interested in Powerpoint, databases, spreadsheets etc.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way into Word, or possibly another easy word processing program?

Thanks in advance

Ed

Ed,

Couple of folks already suggested Open Office - I'm familiar and can recommend also, BUT, if you feel the need for the Microsnot item, one option over here in the US at least is that most high-school and college students AND all education staff have the ability to get an "educational version/discount" that is peanuts compared to the full boat price. Might be worth investigating. Both my kids took advantage a few years back, and my son now being in education, continues to have that option. Check friends that are teachers, or who have university attending ofspring who may be able to capture a copy for you :)

Sorry everyone is having such a wet Bank Holiday, I'll add my local forcecast as Pete did - 19 clear sunny and humidity dropping rapidly, heading for 27 for a high.

Managed to clear out "some" of the garage space yesterday, but ended up retreating as the humidity shot to silly levels amid a 30 temperature - air conditioning is a far better choice. So re-arranged "crap" in the house instead!! Also meant I got some modelling time too :senile:

In going through the garage boxes found a few "treasures" that I actually had though lost, included miscellaneous modelling supplies, micro-drill, Kadee couplers, rail joiners, and the following item;

post-20244-0-76859900-1408975072_thumb.jpg

While the box is a little the worse for wear, the contents are EXCELLENT. I'd barely started it, having only assembled part of the suspension, engine, and the windshield onto the cowl top. Everything is there, so I now have a grand project for the autumn/winter - YAY!!!!

By 6PM, with the high temperature and humidity being pushed by a frontal system, we were under a thunderstorm and tornado warning, the skies outside looked like this for a while;

post-20244-0-89177500-1408975310_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your Bank Holiday best you can given the weather you're all having, sorry about that, I'll go whack the seaweed twirlers upside-the-head - I know it's not their FAULT, but too bad :O  :jester: - if they provided better forecasts we'd all be more prepared ;)

OK - back to work for me...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Weather is brillint here - if you like wind and showers.  Have caught up, which seems to take longer and longer each day.

A number of domestic type tasks still beckon, so I'd best get on.  Best I can do is more generic greetings all round.  But one specific thanks message to Jock for the heads up on the Japanese single malt.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Weather Update.  Leeward of mountains we've had no rain (to speak of) AS YET. :no:

That makes a change as the prevailing wind puts us on the WET windward side.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

By 6PM, with the high temperature and humidity being pushed by a frontal system, we were under a thunderstorm and tornado warning, the skies outside looked like this for a while;

attachicon.gifStormClouds.jpg

Fascinating photo.

When I first scrolled down and hadn't read your text, I thought it was going to be a report telling us that the Icelandic volcano had erupted.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Not a bonk holiday here - but still it's raining! Solidarity with the UK, obviously. Nice.

Sherry drove me down to see the doc this morning - but the car park had at least half a dozen cars, and there were people queued up, so that was that. We'll try again tomorrow. You may infer I do not feel ghastly, could convince myself the vertigo has reduced, but have a slight headache and sore throat. Nothing there worth ER column inches!

So we toddled off to Lidl, where they had some interesting hardware etc on offer, and I came back with an airbrush and compressor set for less than £50, and 26 tubes of assorted colours of acrylic paints, with some brushes, for about £12. OTOH the silly-cheap walking trousers Sherry bought really are ridiculously small for their quoted UK equivalent size, and so will be passed to an even more petite friend.

Hope some of you manage to have a worthwhile day off, despite the weather.

• RMweb Premium

As promised, here are a few pics from Bosnia

Preserved tank loco on Sarajevo station - looks like it's levitating; train to Mostar; 1950s Swedish coaches donated by SJJ; coach interior; view from back of train; aerial view of Sarajevo station, main building bottom left, taken from Avaz Towerattachicon.gifDSC_0086.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_0087 - Version 2.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_0288 - Version 2.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_0290.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_0340.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_0416 - Version 2.jpg

Blimey. You do like to live dangerously. Are you sure she's not around?!  :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Ian - I saw that compressor on offer - can you give us a quick review?

Not used as yet, but the compressor is heavy and seems to be the best bit, frankly, with metal pipe fittings etc. The airbrush is plastic and a bit cheap and nasty, unsurprisingly, and there is also a sort of airgun thing, plus some brass hardware. The fittings on the airbrush look to be Badger-compatible. There are a couple of glass jars which also appear to be Badger-like, and several acrylic prime colours - plus a thinners which is not to be used with acrylics!

• RMweb Premium

Weather Update.  Leeward of mountains we've had no rain (to speak of) AS YET. :no:

That makes a change as the prevailing wind puts us on the WET windward side.

R A I N I N G....  :yes:

• RMweb Gold

There are some lovely photos on here today!

Good afternoon from a damp Hampshire - although I quite like rain.

Unfortunately it tends to attract people to the pub like moths to a light. Oh yeah, its bank holiday. Alright for some!

Just cooking up some ravioli, then its off back to wash the dishes (fortunately I don't have to do them at home though).

I really ought to remember to check in before work - I had quite forgotten how long it takes to catch up with ERs.

Still planning the studio out. I keep changing my mind more than women change their minds about what they want to wear today.

I think i'm on my 20th version by now. I have tomorrow off but it's hard to keep motivated I find - I just want to relax all day and be lazy!

A'noon / evenin' all,

Typical English Bank Holiday Weather is now in full swing here, ie: it's August so it must be bl**dy raining! Not that I'd really taken much notice mind, I've been searching the house high and low for some particular railway books which I thought I'd boxed up when we started knocking plaster off the walls a few weeks ago. Can't find the blighters anywhere. I've found the Bradford Bartons, located all the usual Diesel Hydraulic stuff very easily and came across the beloved Ian Allan / Peter Gray colour albums by accident, but can I find the large format and quite heavy Jim Russell / OPC GW Coaching Stock books? Can I 'eck!!!

I hope the other half hasn't put them on ebay....

Cheery pip folks ;)

Hello again. Sam took me to John Lewis and I now have a new Hewlett Packard computer complete with wireless keyboard and mouse, and a wide-screen monitor. At the moment it's like watching tennis and I'm sure I'll end up with a crick in my neck!

Many thanks to those who offered advice; Sam has installed Open Office and we'll see how I get on with it.

Ed

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I hope the other half hasn't put them on ebay....

Or sold at the nearest car boot - I've disposed of a few surplus books that way in the past, and it's giving 30747 ideas every time I come in with new titles (frequent).

• RMweb Premium

Game started on time - Yorks Academy bowled..... then it drizzled....then it rained....we came off......we waited and went back on... two more overs and it was an early tea/late lunch (including some ever so naughty square scones with strawberries and cream...)then a shake of the hands from the captains and home..Pah!! Blithering August Bank Holiday!!

Time for tea methinks....

a bedraggled Baz...