The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Brief note to say how shocked I am to hear of the death of Robin Williams. Apparent suicide at only 63 years of age, he has been battling depression apparently. Strange how the really gifted funny men seem to live on the edge of sanity - looking back at Hancock and the like! RIP Robin, you gave me a lot of fun.............

Kind regards, post later,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, wind moving the clouds around at moment so an uncertain weather forecast. I need a haircut I will choose which one later.... A very funny man gone too early again as Jock says wandering on the edge. Have the best day you can there are no repeats on the life channel.

• Like 3

Hello, Cloudy and cold (18C) at the moment but 24C forecast for later

Peace reigns at the dining table (Gormless says nought)

Spellcheck says I have spelled 'nought' incorrectly. It suggests 'nougat'

Enjoy Tuesday.

• Like 2

Good morning ERsers.

I don't like nougat. Nought at all.

Highlight of yesterday was GD coming round to tell us about her guinea pigs. I may pop round to see them later, I'm off to Aldi for some of those folding tables for Julie to use at craft fairs. Then shopping. The fun never stops. A bit of woodwork (the bit I was going to do yesterday turned out to be a different bit, so yesterday's bit is on today's agenda).

Reading Bill Bryson's 1927 because someone here mentioned it. It really is good, Bryson has such a lovely style. I recommend it.

Have a good day, all. You know you want to,

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good morning ERsers.

I don't like nougat. Nought at all.

Highlight of yesterday was GD coming round to tell us about her guinea pigs. I may pop round to see them later, I'm off to Aldi for some of those folding tables for Julie to use at craft fairs. Then shopping. The fun never stops. A bit of woodwork (the bit I was going to do yesterday turned out to be a different bit, so yesterday's bit is on today's agenda).

Reading Bill Bryson's 1927 because someone here mentioned it. It really is good, Bryson has such a lovely style. I recommend it.

Have a good day, all. You know you want to,

Might be a better idea to go to Lidls Dick!

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=360

Edited by grandadbob

Enjoy Tuesday.

Well I suppose nougat would be an effective way of keeping his mouth shut and thus ensuring that he says nought.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Overcast with the sun breaking though now and again. Cooler - almost Autumnal, really

Nougat? Pronounced nugget at primary skool, where young teeth could cope. I'm not keen to find out if mine still can, TVM!

I am not a great reader. But I have enjoyed more than one Bill Bryson book - much as I enjoyed Paul Theroux novels in earlier times. My FiL passed me "The Lost Continent" and I thought it amusing, interesting and informative. So when, in 1994, I found myself working for a very senior BR manager who had visited all the contiguous US states except one - it was somewhere odd like W Virginia that you'd have thought he'd have passed through - I lent him the book. He adored it and rushed out to buy a copy. Interesting man, a Civil Engineer by background, was InterCity Infrastructure Director before Privatisation came along - yet quite unsophisticated in many ways. People would lend him Private Eye - and he'd sit and giggle in his office! Seemed enigmatic in one who had a house backing onto the Thames at Goring - with its own landing stage - and a cottage in St Ives.

Some shopping is needed today, and if the threatened storms hold off this afternoon I think the garden shredder will get a bashing. My new ear-defenders will help.

Hope your week is proceeding in an orderly and dignified fashion.

• Like 9

Bargain holiday (Episode One).

All I need is a 4 star + hotel with half board, a balcony, twin beds and views.

Made a booking last evening. By the time "booking fees" "superior room" "debit card charges" etc. had been added it was over £300 dearer than when I started the call.

Then there is a local tourist tax payable on arrival.

To be continued.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the sunny Highlands, where the weather is mostly cloudy and with heavy rain forecast.

The river Dee was really high yesterday and sandbags were being thrown at the problem by the troops and council workers. 

You can normally see the river bed in summer. 

Further up river Braemar was cut off as the A93 was 3 feet underwater. 

In the first picture you'd normally be able to see the foundations of the earlier bridge (just where those isolated trees are) that crossed the river that got swept away....he said hurrying back of the "new" bridge!

post-4299-0-38799900-1407834743.jpg

In the second photo you can see the "tide" mark on garden wall, showing the river level was higher before we got there. 

post-4299-0-46320300-1407835246.jpg

• Like 10

A beautiful part of the world, Andy. Enjoy. I certainly never go to Scotland for the weather although I've usually been lucky.

Edit: thanks for the Lidl heads-up Bob. I spent a while looking at the Aldi website for the tables Dick mentioned, but to no avail! There's a Lidl in Cromer and I can see a use for a set of those tables...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Nougat? Pronounced nugget at primary skool, where young teeth could cope. I'm not keen to find out if mine still can, TVM!

Yes, always known by me + chums as nugget too. We always thought "noogaah" sounded too poncey...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Quickish visit as we're off to buy a washing machine following total collapse of the present incumbent - not bothering with the insurance as African visiting 'technicians' knocking out bearings with the wrong tools (mine, he didn't have any big hammers) might well be at the root of the problem although his visit was several years ago.

Possible good news on the model front, we shall see later this week if my contact on whose behalf I was researching is going for it - could be good especially as he has the reputation and we know the detail (which the competition obviously don't)!

Havea  good day one & all, and happy birthday to the Little Steam Dragons ;)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Yes, always known by me + chums as nugget too. We always thought "noogaah" sounded too poncey...

When I took my cookery course recently the tutor said: "This food is just like we serve in the 2* restaurant but less 'poncette'!"

One of the ladies from abroad asked what "poncette" meant. 

It took a while to explain!  :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When I took my cookery course recently the tutor said: "This food is just like we serve in the 2* restaurant but less 'poncette'!"

One of the ladies from abroad asked what "poncette" meant. 

It took a while to explain!   :)

When I did some cooking in the Army the master chef looked at my creation, tasted it and said: 'Next time, follow the recipe or you'll find yourself wearing my ladle!'

On other fronts:

The weather is blustery.

The wheel barrow has a flat tyre and we have no rubber cement with which to affix a patch on the inner tube.

I have just come back from the timber merchants having ordered copious amounts of ply for both Stokesay Junction, and the footings for my next 4mm creation.

Next stop is the not so local garden centre at Bridgmere:  The Obergrumpenfuhrer has decided we need to visit there for some unknown reason, but it may be because they have a sale on.

Finally we have booked a short break in Oslo for the end of the month.  we went there on a cruise some time back, and have wanted to go back so we can enjoy it at a more leisurely pace.

• Like 9

Morning all (again!),

Started sunny and clear here early this morning but after yesterday, who knows? Today's agenda entails putting the reclining patio chair, newly painted, back together again, then starting on the second one - hoping the 'allan screws' come out easily. Seven years of rusting outdoors!

Looked at the Adonia web-cam earlier, large expanse of Baltic, but relatively calm and blue skies. Hope The timings are good to watch the entry into St Petersburg later in the week.

Today in 1865, the wonderful Joseph Lister performed the first anti sceptic surgery, using carbolic acid (now known as Phenol) for the first time. It was originally a by-product of the coal tar industry, a bit like Creosote apparently! Applied to instruments and wounds alike, it helped prevent septicaemia and gangrene. He is probably responsible for saving more lives over the years than anyone and was eventually rewarded by a baronetcy for his troubles. I suspect that, on reading his biography, he got more satisfaction from the success of his methods!

I sympathise with John, Simon and Neil ref. their comments on the workload on returning from absence - the higher in management you rise, the more it seems that those in your charge lose the ability to make decisions! Perhaps it is simply a fear of responsibility?

Andy, I can't ever recall seeing the river that high on frequent visits to the area (perhaps the locals will disagree), although the remains of a swept away bridge would suggest that it has happened before, but not surely at this time of year! It is really quite scary the way our weather patterns are changing.

Off to watch out for madam's parcel - luckily the garage door overlooks the front door! Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Next stop is the not so local garden centre at Bridgmere:  The Obergrumpenfuhrer has decided we need to visit there for some unknown reason, but it may be because they have a sale on.

Finally we have booked a short break in Oslo for the end of the month.  we went there on a cruise some time back, and have wanted to go back so we can enjoy it at a more leisurely pace.

Happy memories of time spent at Bridgmere when we lived at Little Haywood (Staffs.)  - it used to be a treat to take my late mother there for an outing. Now my DD''s mother-in-law works there but isn't enjoying the experience, not least the journey to and from Crewe.

We loved our two visits to Oslo - the guided tour of the City Hall was interesting, although the memories of the horrors of WWII were vividly recalled by our guide. It would not have been a comfortable tour for any Germans in the party!

And on both occasions we had good weather - we were there in mid August.

Hope your visit meets expectations.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 3

I would have thought the nice french nougat from Montelimar (that rhymes if you pronounce the place name Montelugget) would be far kinder to your teeth than the bright pink and white slabs (equally nice) produced by the likes of Trebor in days of yore

Today in 1865, the wonderful Joseph Lister performed the first anti sceptic surgery, using carbolic acid (now known as Phenol) for the first time. It was originally a by-product of the coal tar industry, a bit like Creosote apparently! Applied to instruments and wounds alike, it helped prevent septicaemia and gangrene. He is probably responsible for saving more lives over the years than anyone and was eventually rewarded by a baronetcy for his troubles. I suspect that, on reading his biography, he got more satisfaction from the success of his methods!

funny how something used for cleaning like carbolic acid should come from something that is so polluting to produce (the tar distilling site at Four Ashes was / is one of the most polluted chemcial factory sites in Western Europe)

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Still on a course, but have decided that as it is no longer going to be relevant to my future development, I'm calling it a day as it's now just a waste of petrol.

30747's niece arrived from London much later than expected due to (her words) "utter chaos at Preston" - in fact, the train that she arrived on was late, but an onward connection arrived at a different platform (that train itself by then over an hour late) but she was not directed to it, and wound up on a Transpennine to Barrow in Furness - and that was further delayed by yet another trespass incident North of Lancaster whereby all services were stopped for some time, and her train was stuck in the queue.  As I said, one minute late from Seattle, and then about an hour late from London.

I'll call in again later.

Regards to All

Stewart

Happy memories of time spent at Bridgmere when we lived at Little Haywood (Staffs.)  - it used to be a treat to take my late mother there for an outing. Now my DD''s mother-in-law works there but isn't enjoying the experience, not least the journey to and fro from Crewe.

We loved our two visits to Oslo - the guided tour of the City Hall was interesting, although the memories of the horrors of WWII were vividly recalled by our guide. It would not have been a comfortable tour for any Germans in the party!

And on both occasions we had good weather - we were there in mid August.

Hope your visit meets expectations.

I often wonder how these guides would find anything to say if it was not for the Germans. How many years have passed?

Mike

Good afternoon all, hope today is treating you well.

Very mixed day in every sense here in Bournemouth. Weather is warm enough to make you sweat, and it's either sunny or raining or both at the same time.

Maplins didn't stock the size of wire I needed, so having to use something 3x bigger to wire some LEDs up. While I was out I picked up a big aerosol can of gloss white to spray some tables the Mrs had started to paint. The aerosol reacted so they both need stripping back to wood, oh the joys!

Started the clean-up operation after decorating. In my (lack of) wisdom I sanded the walls in the hall, and thus made the whole place look like somebody sneezed repeatedly into a bag of class A narcotics! Not my brightest moment I admit.

Day 2 of not smoking, still very early days but not struggling at all so far despite having smokes in the conservatory if I chose to light one up. Keeping busy is helping, speaking of which I think my glue must be dry.....

Enjoy your afternoon

Mark

• Like 3

Enjoy Tuesday.

I was using a spell checker many years ago, and it converted the name McAreavy into Machiavelli.  The guy concerned though it very amusing when I told him.  Everyone else though it rather appropriate!

• Like 2

Enjoy Tuesday.

Don maybe spellchecker was actually being artificially - intelligent and considering Gormless' brain when it provided that correction :)

• RMweb Gold

The day is brightening - and the weather isn't too bad either.

Mrs Stationmaster duly selected a new washing machine - albeit after some careful checking of dimensions on the part of myself and the good Doctor (who was stationed at home with a tape measure), I'm not sure which account is paying for it but it definitely isn't mine; result.

Then on the train home we came across a fare dodger at work - first he was picked up between Reading and Twyford without a valid ticket and he bought a single to Twyford.  then he got straight on the branch train at Twyford, not long before 3 TTIs boarded the trains.  When our tickets were checked - the first job for one of them - I said to him that I reckoned some (described) was travelling with intent to avoid (paying).  As the rest of our coach was checked it finished up with two TTIs interviewing said person - one of them then came back to say they had done him with a Penalty Charge - no worry about proving attempt to avoid with that one and he had 'started his journey' at a Penalty Fare station; result.

Tale of woe from yesterday now looking much brighter, ;hoping for a result ;)

• Like 9