The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Did I tell you that yesterday was my 730th day (2 year) anniversary of my taking up residence here?

I asked Management if here was any time off for good behaviour.

They replied "What good behaviour"!

Another clear blue sky Sunny day. Still cool (to me) at 21C

I hope Bertha is kind to you.

• Like 3

According to the Live Ships Map Tony and Aditi’s private yacht “Adonia”  is well into the North Sea (I dunno, about 100 miles due east of Aldburgh) at 14.5 knots enroute to Copenhagen (where Tony will conduct a reenactment on Nelson’s action)...

Best, Pete.

Pete,

The sea looks calm enough on the on board web-cam as well. Joanna and I both fell in love with Copenhagen (not the price of everything!) and St Petersburg so I hope to watch as the ship enters each port! Pure nostalgia eh?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

C'mon, Andy, man-up! Porridge, followed by square sausage, haggis, black pudding, bacon, egg, fried bread, then toast and spread. Coffee or tea with that?

Mal

What - no "Fried tomatoes and fried potatoes" ? - you're missing the best bits!

Edited by shortliner

I hope you asked for a refund.

Yes I have asked for the refund and been promised that this will be sorted, I hope they are quicker than British Gas who are still owing me £150 for a "Home Care" agreement that they failed to cancel back in February. I have been told the cheque is in the post.

I warm and sunny day here in the Derby, no Hurricanes yet - but we have had a Lancaster. The old World War II bomber flew over our house an hour ago after doing a fly past at nearby Castle Donington. I also understand the Canadian Lancaster completed its journey across the Atlantic and landed safely at Conningsby yesterday. Poor weather prevented the British one taking off to meet it.

The first day of the new Football League season today means Sarah and I go our separate ways again. She is off to the City Ground to watch the Red Dogs, sorry Florest, ahem Forest play Blackpool whilst I am off to Pride Park to watch the mighty Rams play Rotherham. Despite the bookies putting us as joint favourites for the title I am less confident.  I am also less confident about today's game - newly promoted side = potential banana skin!!

• Like 2

And for tonight's enthralling story.  Earlier on I hear a noise over on the far side of the study almost like a mouse moving about but I could find nothing so decided it was probably an 'age thing'. Popped out to refill my teacup and returned - to find a frog (or maybe it was a toad) under the 'puter desk.  Calling on the good Doctor for assistance my aim was to catch it and return it to the real wild outdoors but it was like trying to swat a fly - every time my hands closed in it jumped.

However eventually we got organised, her Doctorship opened the front door and I sort of marshalled the leaping frog/toad towards the study doorway, which is right next to the front door - result.  Er, no - frog/toad leapt into the hall, turned towards the front door and met Simbah bearing down on it from the opposite direction so instead of leaping out of the door it leapt in the opposite direction, chased by the cat.  Cat quickly grabbed just as frog/toad was about to take refuge under the hall chest and then we were back to 'marshalled frog leaping' as we gradually herded it towards the front door and our its freedom.  It left the porch before cameras could be organised and Simbah is now out on garden patrol - as he is unable to catch most things I doubt we'll see frog/toad in the study again (I hope).

Grass cutting completed as per my earlier post - an I encountered a lucky frog as well.  I just noticed something moving as I was about to go over the grass edge with the mower and stopped just in time for the frog to jump out of harm's way.  It was close, but I had narrowly missed it.  More potatoes dug up and I am knackered a bit tired!  I can recover on RMWEB and listen to some old Steeleye Span on the PC.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Missed another cobweb - I am now wearing it!

Poor show there GDB - I not only got all the ones I had been directed asked to get but a few more as well; wanna share some brownie points?  Sorry, on second thoughts it might be safer to keep them in reserve, bound to need them sooner or later

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

No - the best bit is fruit pudding - lovely stuff, that.

Afternoon All

I too will be having a slightly emasculated Scottish breakfast tomorrow - Ayrshire bacon, square sausage, tattie scones, eggs, mushrooms, fried bread, and some fried Ayrshire potatoes - again, no fruit pudding, as I have never been able to find any down here since the market trader who sold it packed in his pitch.

I too had a vintage aircraft moment this afternoon, when I heard a great roar, and 30747 called me out to see the Vulcan coming right over the house at about 3000 feet.

I have read all the posts, and again am a bit humbled by Jock 67B's fighting approach to cancer - I find it heartening when one hears of others who just accept the final outcome as being inevitable, and just give up, then hear how Jock is trying his utmost - and also using some water of life to assist.  My personal favourites are the Islay malts, and in particular Caol Isla which has a wonderful island character without being too much like TCP.

I too had a very bad experience with codeine, as I was on it for a long time for a very painful frozen shoulder, and when I broke my hip, I was so dosed up on it that they had to use morphine instead - I had to come off codeine "cold turkey" in hospital, and after surgery, the only pain killer that would work was Tramadol.  When I came off the tramadol gradually it broke the dependance on codeine - not a good way to achieve this.

Dog is mithering for a walk, so

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Stewart, do you always have Islay with a drop of water? My (Scottish) Aunt always said that you should (but don’t ask me why)....

As my neck and arm have improved considerably i’ll be having an even bigger shot of the Artein tonight and will lay off the poppies.

Btw I’m very lucky in that friends keep giving bottles of the Glenmorangie special editions - I was horrified when I found out the cost of them....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

A couple of drops of water (no more) seems to enhance the aroma and taste.

I'm told it's to do with releasing esthers.

Esther's what, I'm not quite sure.

After a somewhat tricky delivery; my new baby is finally here! :locomotive:

attachicon.gifDSCF3173 (Large).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3172 (Large).JPG

The possibles, whilst not exactly simples;  are endless. :boast:

Certainly looks suitable for making a variety of gauges utilizing available US FB rail (hint, hint). :drag:

OK I did get it wrong about it being named “Bridgeport”.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After a somewhat tricky delivery; my new baby is finally here! :locomotive:

attachicon.gifDSCF3173 (Large).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3172 (Large).JPG

The possibles, whilst not exactly simples;  are endless. :boast:

So with that screen you can presumably read ERs while at the same time milling something, fiendish clever these modern machine thingies.

PS Can it make tea?

• Like 3

A couple of drops of water (no more) seems to enhance the aroma and taste.

I'm told it's to do with releasing esthers.

Esther's what, I'm not quite sure.

OK next question! Islay Scotch is almost 100% very high quality yet the tradition on the island is that most of it is, in fact, blended. Correct?

Thanks, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly it was classified as a "Full Scottish Breakfast" but with no porridge option. Un-b-liev-able. 

In fact the full Scottish consisted of a Cumbrian sausage, 2 rashers of bacon, a grilled tomato, a slice of black pudding and a fried egg.

What is Scottish about that?

I was even offered salad with my sit down "fish and chip" supper. What is going on? 

Anyway, breaking the journey certainly made for an easier drive up to Aberdeenshire and the swoop down in to Braemar was spectacular as ever. 

Now sitting in my lodge reading recipes to cook this week that I'd never have the time to do at home. 

Off to the local bookshop tomorrow to find some railway-related reading matter for the week. 

Have a nice weekend everyone. Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Love Debs' new machine, but can you imagine what would happen to one of us mortal men if we tried to put that in the marital kitchen...... :O  :butcher:

We spent the day playing with our new machine, a rather cruder thing than Debs, a hydraulic log splitter!  Anyone with a log burner should have one, We procrastinated for 6 years....it's wonderful, should have had one at the outset.  We split up a years worth of wood in one day, including some pretty large trunk slices.  6 ton capacity...lush.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

So with that screen you can presumably read ERs while at the same time milling something, fiendish clever these modern machine thingies.

PS Can it make tea?

Shall I put the kettle on?.  :jester:

Polly

• Like 1

Evening all, I smiling right now. Ok a 1-0 win at home to Rotherham is not going to set the world alight, but a win is a win. Amber has made a good start to her toilet training too. Day one has produced seven successful potty visits and no accidents. Amazing how the toilet can bring pleasure!

As far as the cats are concerned - both have now been treated with "Frontline" and I have not been bitten again since so fingers crossed. They still seem to be totally scared of each other at present. Saffie (our original cat) is avoiding the kitchen as much as possible because she knows that Emilio (the new one) resides in there most of the time. He has at least varied his hiding places. During the day he has taken to sleeping in a large cardboard lawnmower box that was stored in there after we had emptied it of its moving day contents. He also likes the dining chairs, and now has taken to sleeping on the top of the fridge or even on the tops of the high kitchen cupboards!

The cats may be in their places - I am still in the proverbial "dog house" with Sarah. I finally got out with my old collage buddy, and best man, last night and did not return until quarter past midnight! Oh well never mind - I had better turn my attention to writing down some birthday gift ideas. The parents have asked for some - now where is that Bachmann catalogue!!!

• RMweb Gold

OK next question! Islay Scotch is almost 100% very high quality yet the tradition on the island is that most of it is, in fact, blended. Correct?

Thanks, Pete.

Ooh, how long have you got.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon to give you chapter and verse.

First of all don't forget that it was only really from about the 1970s that single malts started to regain their popularity and even now 90% of whisky sold is blended - a mix of malts and grain whisky. The amount of malt and which malts are in each blend is a secret closely guarded by manufacturers and if I told you I would have to kill you. Seriously, whilst lots is known or guessed the finer details are known only to a few.

Given that 90% is blended a lot of malt has to go into blends, including I'm sure malts from Islay. Having said that some distilleries don't supply for blends whilst others' entire output goes for blending. Some distilleries are actually owned by the blenders for that purpose.

I don't think I've fully answered your question but I hope you get the idea.