The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all - I'm up and about a bit late, unless anyone wants to disagree. I was going to disagree with Bob about the thunderstorms because I haven't looked at the weather forecast but then I realised I was in danger disagreeing with myself, and I don't like provoking existential crises on Fridays.

Much fresher and a bit overcast. May rain. May not. May thunder.  I'm not fussed.

Off to IKEA in a bit, and the weekly Sainsbury's. Normally I'd run a million miles from the Twin Chimneys of Doom, but this stuff is for me to finish converting what was my office when I worked into a computer and modelling room. Then possibly the Silhouette cutter.

Being stuck at home waiting for parcels is a pain. There is that system that Royal Mail uses with a big box that signs electronically, but it's expensive.

Anyway, have a good day in all your ventures, the weekend beckons, Julie has just said she needs another half-hour in bed, so I'm going to grab a coffee and a Castle.

• Like 3

We once attended a quiz organised by a high school PTA and the staff from the Modern Languages Dept. chose to call themselves The Cunning Linguists!

I was one of a cricket team also known by that name a good few years ago.

• Like 3

Morning all...

No connection, but I'm using UPS for shipping my eBay stuff out.  The big plus for me is that I can just drop stuff off at the local garage with a pre printed label for a similar price to RM Special Delivery.  You can also reverse the process and instead of having to wait at home, UPS will leave my parcel at the garage and I pick up from there.

I book through these guys who offer a whole variety of carriers.  I chose UPS as they offered the best service/price package.

http://www.parcel2go.com

• RMweb Premium

This place is incredible at times.

I said I knew a kid called Mark Hunt. I did. he existed.

I said his father had thought of calling him Michael. He had, he told his tutor.

Then someone disagrees me - were they there? 

Some people seem to like punching the 'disagree' button. A couple of weeks ago on a thread that was locked I received a couple of disagrees after I had pointed out that a road traffic manoeuvre  which someone boasted 'they do every time' was not only extremely dangerous and probably illegal. Ignorance is bliss and if I get any disagrees on this post it will only prove my point.

• Like 4

Some people seem to like punching the 'disagree' button. A couple of weeks ago on a thread that was locked I received a couple of disagrees after I had pointed out that a road traffic manoeuvre  which someone boasted 'they do every time' was not only extremely dangerous and probably illegal. Ignorance is bliss and if I get any disagrees on this post it will only prove my point.

Mostly kids I think? In my experience anyway.   I’ve hit “disagree” a crapload of times ‘cos of my large hands. 

I think we all need to turn down our sensitive side from time to time  - this place is what it is....

However there are a couple of fellow mods on ER regularly - not much needed but there you are. I’m just a very  lowly iteration but a “senior” one is also here.

You feeling better now, Phil?

Morning, only 4:00 am but had to take the dog out. She’s upset because her Mother and Sister are in Newport, Rhode Island for a couple of days. I’m not a suitable “Leader”, it seems....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Morning all...

No connection, but I'm using UPS for shipping my eBay stuff out.  The big plus for me is that I can just drop stuff off at the local garage with a pre printed label for a similar price to RM Special Delivery.  You can also reverse the process and instead of having to wait at home, UPS will leave my parcel at the garage and I pick up from there.

I book through these guys who offer a whole variety of carriers.  I chose UPS as they offered the best service/price package.

http://www.parcel2go.com

I do use UPS for convenience because like you I have an Owner/Operated facility less than a Mile away. Very handy but their overseas rates have shot up along with US Mail this past year.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I make one of my occasional forays into the ER hoping that we are all as well as nature and fortune permits.  It is time to set off for the great silver bird (a very great one indeed was it has two decks) and return to the land I call home.  In the course of the next few months I look forward to meeting a number of hitherto online-only acquaintances and hopefully cementing actual rather than virtual friendships.

Someone is smiling upon us.  I received a randomly-generated email offering a bargain-price upgrade to business class for the flight over.  As Sharon is one of life's larger ladies and also one who doesn't much enjoy a 24-hour flight the additional space and comforts were purchased without question.  I should have enough loyalty miles to upgrade the return flight later in the year.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Sunny but hazy with quite a bit of high cloud.

Not a lot of wind so the boats may struggle a bit in the Regattas, though it might pick up later - last day tomorrow.

Which brings me to a few pics I took on Monday.

On the way to the start line coming down from Beaumaris past Bangor Pier

(far left behind the distant red sail).

post-14049-0-74202500-1407486209.jpg

post-14049-0-96331100-1407486252.jpg

Behind the start line.

post-14049-0-24697000-1407486283.jpg

Telford's Menai Bridge, built in 1826, in the background.

And they're off -

making full use of the stronger incoming tide over on that side of the Strait.

post-14049-0-66489600-1407486313.jpg

End of the first lap of two.

post-14049-0-81109000-1407486341.jpg

post-14049-0-98962600-1407486364.jpg

post-14049-0-69841300-1407486419.jpg

post-14049-0-40795100-1407486400.jpg

Begining of the second lap. [i wasn't there for the finish.]

post-14049-0-71314200-1407486386.jpg

Hope that's not too many - I took 63 pics in all!

Enjoy your day.

Polly (and now the sun's gone in!)

• Like 16

Had a chuckle to myself this morning.  I bought a new golf bag from our pro shop a few weeks back and found that one of the zips was faulty.  Spoke to the pro's who contacted the manufacturer.  They asked for pics and serial numbers etc which I supplied.  Got a mail back from the manufacturer this morning instructing me to 'cut off the ball pocket' and send it back to them. They would then replace the whole bag. Stop smirking at the back.

Somehow it reminded me of a kidnap situation where they send back a couple of fingers…:-)

I guess it's to stop you getting a new bag under warranty and then flogging the old one on eBay….

As if... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What Ship is Tony/Aditi on and where is it embarking from?

Cheers, Pete.

Adonia, Southampton. Off in a minute, just checking M25 route to M3, clockwise today seems better!

Bye

Tony

I'm not being precious or dummyspitting, I'm just amazed that someone thinks it's OK to disagree with a matter of fact.

Unless it's meant to give the idea that I'm not telling the truth.

I've been disagreed twice before - and in both cases I was stating a provable fact...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,Bo

Bon voyage Tony & Aditi (hope that was in time) and have a good cruise.

Getting back to the mundane (cos trips on ships definitely aren't) and thinking of Gordon's interesting situation couldn't you still use teh golf bag but keep your balls in your pocket?  Now to today's hint No. 2 - for Jock, when you watch your way through teh Portillo fronted series on railways at war please try to -

a. Not explode in jeers and derision when the 'Lusitania' is described as a 'cruise liner'  (presumably the script was written by a 19 year old who doesn't understand history?). and

b. Tread carefully when listening to the edition about trains of men and materiel routed through London as despite what is being said all the ambulance trains went via the West London Line as did most (all?) of the other trains conveying troops along with, probably, the bulk of the freight.  And incidentally the WLL was hardly a 'quiet backwater' before the Great War as it formed part of the Outer Circle and was of course electrified from Willesden to Addison Road (Kensiington Olympia),  aeroplanes were loaded to rail at Wood Lane and there was a large stores depot at White City; alas some slack research on that one.

And back to teh mundane - it's Friday so you can guess where I'm going ;)  Have a good day one & all and may the remnants of Bertha give you a wide berth.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

Please stop posting pictures of sailing boats.

Ever time I see  a picture of a decent day sailer, I start combing the small ads as I want to buy another.

However, this time I want a boat I can sit in and perhaps catch some mackerel rather than something that you sit on and balance whilst getting wet or soaked depending on your skill set. 

Dinghy racing was the only sport that brought out my competitive streak

Realistically it won't happen, as I've got too much time and money invested in model railways and shooting.

Next sensible buy has got to be some ER25 collets and the respective chucks for mill and lathe.

• Like 5

Next sensible buy has got to be some ER25 collets and the respective chucks for mill and lathe.

Coincidence that; I`m in the meerkat for a set of ER25`s.........cheapest 2-16mm. metric-set I`ve found is a 'UK Based stock/dispatch' (IIRC-Birmingham) Chinese seller smartbuy.fromuk: 15 pcs. for £24.99 (incl postage).........a fact not known by the six bidders fighting over a similar ER25 set on auction, the other day; the 'winner' paying nearly £60. + postage! :O

Do these folk not bother to have a look-see a`fore bidding? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Tax sorted, I apparently had two part time jobs at Trackshack, not bad, an 8 day week......no idea how that happened!

Raining here now, a shame as I need to mess about underneath the car to isolate the odd rattle, and see if it's a fix it myself job or a trip to the seething metropolis of Ramsey (pop. 7,300) to our friendly garage.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, bit dull today but I did sleep in 10:10! nobody else woke before me. Outside the weather is grey, roofer that came last night to quote for the job siliconed up the splits in the lead so we should be waterproof for a week or two...... I need to get on with organising the conservatory and manouvering layout boards.   

• Like 4

Thus forestalling anyone who might disagree out of a warped sense of humour :whistle:

I don't mind disagrees as a rule, some of them are justified and others quite amusing. Unlikely post ratings I generally assume to be the result of finger slippage.

Morning all from a dull but,as yet, dry Clacton.

Looks like shopping is on the list in the immediate future - deep joy. Got to make one of my rare trips into town (which I try to avoid during summer!) as I got rid of some scrap from the garage the other day and the scrap man can only pay by cheque now, after proof of id is recorded on their computer which also prints the said cheque! Bit of a nuisance but I suppose it is an attempt to stop the processing of stolen material.

Anyone interested in following Tony and Aditi's ship can follow the progress by the ship's web cam on pocruises.com. I put 'where is Adonia today' into Google and got 'P&O Cruises | Adonia Webcam | Adonia Cruise Ship' which took me straight to the camera on the bridge with a view of what is a fairly empty Southampton dock. I remember going there in the sixties when it was teeming with ships!

Polly, lovely pics as always. Richard, I crewed on a 'Fireball' for a season before discovering that the owner had won the Loughton Sailing Club award for most capsizes in a season - good job I was a strong swimmer! Got the bug however and bought a wooden 'Silhouette' when I lived in Dunbar. Lots of lovely trips across the Forth to the beautiful harbours on the Fife coast - those were the days before marriage, mortgage, kids etc.

I shipped it to Cornwall but seldom used it and sold it when I returned 'up country'!

Mike, thanks for the information on the TV programme. It can be really frustrating when you view an item which you know has been under-researched! Reminded me of the 'Dent Station' episode of Mr Portillos normal railway series, he boarded a train pulled by a rebuilt Scot, but when it cut to a long view crossing the famous viaduct, it was being pulled by a green Jubilee - very shoddy!

Debs, you are so right about auction buyers. Some people simply assume that because something is on flea-bay, it will automatically be cheaper. The model railway section often shows how wrong they can be with some scary prices at times (see the thread on RMweb).

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 6