The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all,

Baz, I'm on the 'Cardhu' tonight so Slainte to you and all those who like a night cap.

Spent ages on my PC today, first with granddaughter to complete the online form to confirm her summer holiday job with Sports Direct. I thought that was needlessly complicated until 'Nursie' daughter came round to complete her temporary visas to enter the US as part of her specially constructed anniversary holiday in September. I know the US has been pretty paranoid since 9/11 and that is understandable but the on line form takes a lot of patience! Strange how popular you become when you've got a computer and colour printer that work well!

Andy, nice pics of steam thank you and good luck with the virgins.

Happy anniversary Ian, and I'll now raise my glass to many more (tonight's excuse to re-charge the glass!). I hope you have got something nice planned?

Stewart, the bad news is that I treated a bug infestation in the greenhouse with a dilute spray of Jeyes Fluid - that was 4 or more years ago and I can still sense it on a warm day. Sorry!

Don't forget to say white rabbits in the morning - where did that month go?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

So I've been following your various skills with some amazement, speaking sentences backwards indeed!  But now you have touched on my particular skill, namely being able to read upside down accurately at speed.   Very useful at meetings.  Indeed, I once costed a proposal before the project manager had finished his presentation - unfortunately for him it had a negative NPV.

Cycled up to the Prom this afternoon.  Odd bits of Richard Strauss, really not my favourite composer, but the first half ended with his Four Last Songs - an utterly bewitching work.   The second half was Elgar 2, beautifully played.  Whilst Elgar is assumed to be the most English of composers, this is a very unenglish work; composed in 1911, it is very much a precursor of the Great War.  Then cycled through the parks to Charing Cross to catch the train home. 

Bill 

• Like 8

There were some on the Southern - I remember them on some of the 4-SUB stock - they also were on some of the modified slam door stock which was made up of compartment stock.

Just checked Flightradar 24 and niece is now over Wyoming - that is some site - I've been able to track her flight on and off all day - it appears to be pretty accurate too as far as I can see.

They also used to have them on some of the trains that ran into Liverpool Street station. Certainly that was the case in the early 1970s. I happened to get in one by mistake, in a train from Billericay, and it wasn't until I was practically at Liverpool Street that I 'twigged' why I was getting odd looks.

They also used to have them on some of the trains that ran into Liverpool Street station. Certainly that was the case in the early 1970s. I happened to get in one by mistake, in a train from Billericay, and it wasn't until I was practically at Liverpool Street that I 'twigged' why I was getting odd looks.

D’oh that’s how the question started, Steve. Were they on other regions apart from Liverpool St ex GER suburban.........

Best, Pete.

Well that's work finished for 2 weeks due to factory shutdown. Around 200 agency staff have just been laid off in the annual summer cull, and only around 10 have been asked to return. I've not had a fone call, but I got a nod and a wink from the dept manager to say I'm one of the 10 so I guess that's some good news!

Sleep is a distant dream at the moment, been at work since 6pm yesterday and due to meet a friend to look over a car for him at 9am. No doubt I'll stop at the local model shop on the way home as I drive right past it, which will mean having to play with whatever new toy I get, so I might sleep at around 4pm this afternoon. It's gonna be a loooooong day!!

Enjoy your Friday everyone

Mark

• Like 1

I have no special powers, apart from, apparently, the ability to drink a single cup of caffeinated coffee in the afternoon and stay away until 02:00 this morning.

Drove over to Wiltshire yesterday to meet a colleague and met up in a Waitrose coffee shop. 6 months without a drop of caffeine and the result was racing heart rate, dizziness and insomnia! 

The only question is, when I was drinking upwards of 8 cups a day prior to my caffeine-free move, what state of palpitudinousness must I have been in! Yoinks!!   :O

Think I'll have a nap now. zzzzz   zzzzzzz   zzzzzz   zzzzzzz...

Good morning all & White rabbits / (version always used  when I was a lad - "Pinch - Punch - for the first of the month").  I'm pretty sure that some of the (ex LNER) Quad-art sets on the Kings X Luton runs had Ladies only compartments  - seem to remember asking Mum when I was small as to why ladies had their own compartment. 

Talking of things on steel rails,  saw a new DMU here the other day, not close enough to get a decent look or photo, later the same day saw container train - first of those I've seen here. 

Enjoy whatever you're up to this POETS day, 

Trev.

• Like 3

Morning all! :friends:

Primer and top-coat to be applied today on the large, metal fabricated machine stand I mentioned making last W/E.........`hoping that I may be excused those duties and my dear-Father can be tasked with same, as exposure to white-spirit and high-VOC paint has been a trigger for intense migraines, previously.

Pictures of the 'item' to follow.......

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Stop knocking Neasden! It was a borough that obviously interested Willie Rushton et al, since, in the pre-Troubles era, I recall That Was The Week That Was making references to Neasden IRA. The song was written specially, I think, for Betjeman's film Metroland, a most enjoyable production, populist enough for mainstream tv, yet with a few anoraky things in it. I had hoped to play it for Sherry on her last visit, but the DVD oyster proved empty! It'll turn up. Oh, and in blatant defiance of our Lady of the North West, while sneaking round Neasden engine shed circa 1961, I saw a B1 4-6-0 passing on a down Great Central express. 61028 Umseke.

Yes, elderly Southern railway SUB units did still have ladies-only compartments. I think some mainline units, possibly LAVs, had them, too. As for Pete and his swishing nylons, perhaps we're back to Cyd Charisse!

After some mowing and tidying yesterday afternoon, I showered and then dropped into St Cosme to do a bit of shopping at Intermarche. It was hot, and there outside the shop cooling with a can of Coke was Ben, Alison's estranged partner. I try to treat them both the same, do not reveal what each has told me, but 'enjoy' hearing the other side of the story, I suppose. Neither has been covered in glory by all this IMHO - typical of a relationship breakdown, no doubt. Alison said it was one of the kids (11) who asked a neighbour to call the cops the other day...... I have coffee Chez Sheena this morning and Ben may well be there, I think.

Hope Richard's daughter's wedding goes splendidly and the sun shines on her and hubby now and for many years to come.

Enjoy your weekend!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry but rain forecast later on, hopefully after shopping has been done.

Nothing much to report except on this day

1960 - Chubby Checker's "The Twist" was released and in 1893 - Shredded wheat was patented by Henry Perky and William Ford. Still going strong!

Off for breakfast, enjoy your day folks

• Like 4

A good day to all. Looks like it'll be OK.

Wasn't around much yesterday due to a tummy bug (what a euphemistic expression!) and assorted stuff, including the bandsaw and sanding station needing stripping down and putting back together in the right order and working on stock lists and stuff for Julie.

Today's plan is we are taking stock to a new outlet she is going into in Horsham. The idea is that you hire one of 20 or 30 Welsh dressers to display your stuff, pay rent and the management takes a percentage of sales. Same as the Craft Gallery and other places. I'm driving and there's a good chance of a pub lunch.

Used some Modelstrip on an old Nellie yesterday that's going to become a C14 (unless I chimp it up totally) with a new chassis and Hornby LMS Walschaerts gear. Might be biting off more than I can chew. But fun.

A good fin de semaine to all, may joy and success accompany all your ventures.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but grey start, should be fine with sunny periods. 
I had no fixed plans for today but apparently "there are lots of things that need doing". That's me sorted then!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

White Rabbits! And have a great Yorkshire Day!(as a Durham lad I have only been on missionary duty in Leeds for 28 years.... I have got used to the locals now).

Pete I always expect things to go awry while the UK ERs are abed..

Rainy here. So more coupling fitting today after shopping at moreasons.

Baz

• Like 2

White Rabbits! And have a great Yorkshire Day!(as a Durham lad I have only been on missionary duty in Leeds for 28 years.... I have got used to the locals now).

:mosking: "Yorkshire; where folk say what they like and like what they say"..........aye, `appen! :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not much in the way of sleep last night.

So I went for an early morning swim in hotel pool.

Very relaxing and different from the river and mud hole I usually frequent.

No crocodiles to chat to, but I was joined by a whale, which doubled the depth of the pool.(and narrowed it considerably) so I left her to it

All set for the off this afternoon, my only pre wedding task is to take the Obrgrumpenfuhrer to the hairdresser's.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, no sign of movement from the snail on the window for the last 24 hours, I fear that it is now in a similar condition to Monty Python's parrot.  :cry:

Edited by PhilJ W

Morning all, no sign of movement from the snail on the window for the last 24 hours, I fear that it is now in a similar condition to Monty Python's parrot.  :cry:

If the shell is empty, I expect it`s fallen victim to a molluscan-downturn, been evicted and "hit the `pike" in a new life as a slug. ;)

• Like 3

morning all,white rabbits indeed,well bob our elder rabbit is white,with ginger and black sploges all over! know what you mean about paint Debs,weve gone back to iso paints and there realy nasty,good paint though,dad allways says the more skulls and cross bones on the tin the less likely it is to peel off........left jack hooking up brio streamliner with a4 looked like a busy day for the banana trucks ! never got round Neasden,but did get round longsight in Manchester in the early 80s,wonderfull....

Out for an early (pre-rush) spin on the bike and as the Woolram Wygate Level Crossing has re-opened after being shut for several days I thought I'd go that way.  Horror of horrors, the beautiful, almost Signal Box sized. crossing keepers box has completely gone to be replaced with two steel columns mounting lights, cameras and radio control equipment (it looks like)

It had a large 'ships wheel' operating mechanism for the 'proper' gates (replaced some months ago with barriers and electrical initiation, but still operated by the crossing keeper) and was beautifully kept in green and cream, windows always spotless and ground weed free.  I just hope someone has been able to negotiate its transfer to a suitable home.

I would have had it myself rather than seen it demolished.