The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well, that sure is a nice looking panel Debs,  before the "pun-merchants" stuck their collective oars in , watt I was going to ask if you wanted to build panels  for us?  But it does look like there's a Phase missing, or is there more behind? 

Trev, (who aint shakin hands with any one!) 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday evening a mysterious 'blob' appeared on the outside of my bathroom window, this afternoon it had changed position to another part of the window. As the window has only a small fanlight and I am unable to reach it or observe it other than through the frosted glass. I think it is a snail, but how did it manage to get onto the window nearly twenty feet from the ground?

• Like 3

Don/Ian (Oldd)/Andy - thanks for the comments and suggestions for the narrow boats.
Whilst we'd love to experience a few of the various "wonders" (Caen rise, Bingley Rise, Pontcysyllte aqueduct) the conventional wisdom, given all of us are 65+, is that we're old, not stupid (Mrs A may otherwise contest the latter!!!), and VIEWING those attractions is a likely better idea than attempting to work them ourselves.
Something more leisurely is what we plan. As of right now we're looking at either Wyvern Shipping out of Linslade/Grand Union or Countrywide Cruisers out of Brewood/Four Counties ring. The Four Counties ring has more appeal and votes so far as there's a preference for a round-trip rather than an out-and-back - we "think" we can manage the four-counties ring, it depends on there being enough pubs along the way :) ...

Far as seeing ER folks - that would be a wodnerful plus for sure and would love to do it, <sshhhhh> so long as talk of trains is kept to a minimum, I"m the only train nut in the crew <sigh>, although an excursion to a preserved railway has been OKed by the "planning committee" if for no other reason than to humor the token Brit/train nut - which one is still to be addressed :senile: but I'm leaning towards ANYWHERE that has a BB/MN/WC on active duty of course  :)
The second part of the holiday may provide easier access (unless some ERs live next to the canal we're on!!) to meeting, as we're leaning towards the West Country given the party (self excluded) have never seen Somserset/Devon/Cornwall and, take a deep breath here folks, they all want to visit Port Wenn (Port Isaac) and see some other parts fo the area.
Other places of interest will potentially include Stonehenge, Bath, Bladon (personal requirement to visit), Blenheim Palace, and the Cornish Rivera :)

On to today - love the Sherry/Ian dedication - I know not everyone is fortunate enough to find what you've found, enjoy it to the fullest. If you have time and inclination listen to this piece, "With You" from the musical Pippin.

This was sung at our wedding by one of our closest friends and still has us both tear up when we hear it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DD-3NP1wwo

For those not inclined to listen, here's the first verse.

"My days are brighter than morning air
Evergreen pine and autumn blue
But all my days are twice as fair
If I could share
My days with you"

Started out at 17 here, sunny and a gorgeous day, heading for 27.

Have a happy HUMP day all

• Like 9

Yesterday evening a mysterious 'blob' appeared on the outside of my bathroom window, this afternoon it had changed position to another part of the window. As the window has only a small fanlight and I am unable to reach it or observe it other than through the frosted glass. I think it is a snail, but how did it manage to get onto the window nearly twenty feet from the ground?

I wonder if a neighbour found it in his veg patch and lobbed it over the fence? I managed to lob a snail clean over the roofline once. I should point out I'm not in the habit of harming snails and I don't endorse "snail grenades" at all. Don't try this at home...!

• Like 3

Well, that sure is a nice looking panel Debs,  before the "pun-merchants" stuck their collective oars in , watt I was going to ask if you wanted to build panels  for us?  But it does look like there's a Phase missing, or is there more behind? 

Not one of mine, Trev.........just a stock-photo with which to tease DD........'Eclectricity' wise! :imsohappy:

• Like 3

crawled

crawled? or was dropped by a bird, and then crawled? is crawled the right word for snail ambulation? it's one big foot but hopped doesn't sound right

• Like 2

Very slowly!!! :) :O  :jester:

As some here already may know, I have synesthesia (some of my senses are 'crossed')........I`ve noticed something odd (well actually, very nice) when I think of Ian (Oldudders) and Sherry (Ashcombe) being together: I hear Rachmaninoff`s Piano Concerto No.2 (Op.18) and smell garlic.......the sense of both-joined, seems so beautifully romantic! :tender:

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The snail certainly wasn't lobbed by my neighbours, they're on holiday and as I live in the last house in the street I have no other neighbours. It can't have been dropped by a bird as the eves overhang the window, it might possibly have been living in the roof gutters but the most likely explanation is that it climbed from the ground.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I hear Rachmaninoff`s Piano Concerto No.2 (Op.18) and smell garlic.......the sense of both-joined, seems so beautifully romantic! :tender:

Garlic's romantic ????

• RMweb Gold

Garlic?

One day two garlic cloves, who were best friends, were walking together down the street. They stepped off the curb and a speeding car came around the corner and ran one of them over. The uninjured garlic clove called 911 and helped his injured friend as best he was able. The injured garlic clove was taken to emergency at the hospital and rushed into surgery. After a long and agonizing wait, the doctor finally appeared. He told the uninjured garlic clove, "I have good news, and I have bad news. The good news is that your friend is going to pull through." "The bad news is that he's going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life".

Yep we need a groan button

Not one of mine, Trev.........just a stock-photo with which to tease DD........'Eclectricity' wise! :imsohappy:

It certainly looked like the Joule in the crown. 

I have to say we all really like Debs. She's so well grounded she's ex-static! 

But, hey, it's great to see her taking an interest in all things electrical; some might say she's infused. 

Next she'll be telling us she bought a Voltswagon to move the collies around in. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 4

The snail certainly wasn't lobbed by my neighbours, they're on holiday and as I live in the last house in the street I have no other neighbours. It can't have been dropped by a bird as the eves overhang the window, it might possibly have been living in the roof gutters but the most likely explanation is that it climbed from the ground.

I very vaguely remember a math problem at school - Yay these many years ago- -  about a snail climbing a flagpole where it climbed 2 feet during the day and slipped back one foot at night - so maybe they do climb houses as well

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if a neighbour found it in his veg patch and lobbed it over the fence? I managed to lob a snail clean over the roofline once. I should point out I'm not in the habit of harming snails and I don't endorse "snail grenades" at all. Don't try this at home...!

I very vaguely remember a math problem at school - Yay these many years ago- -  about a snail climbing a flagpole where it climbed 2 feet during the day and slipped back one foot at night - so maybe they do climb houses as well

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back. I opened my front door and found a snail on the step. I (to my shame) picked him up and lobbed him.

A year later there was a knock on the door. I opened it to find a snail there on the step. He said "what did you do that for???"