The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hi everyone

Very early tomorrow we fly to Sarajevo for a few days. There are no direct flights - you can go via Copenhagen (1 stop) or Istanbul (stopping overnight at the airport), but the quickest way from Edinburgh, I think, is via Brussels & Vienna - seven hours - fingers crossed all connections work. First time visit and we're looking forward to it. Will try not to start anything.

Mal

Hope you have fun Mal and do report back on what it's like - it's on my list of places to visit.

Glad you all enjoyed my pictures, collecting 20 odd likes for each post makes me feel very appreciated. Must do something about the train pictures...

• Like 5

Good evening all, and I will start with a supportive nod to Jock after reading his post. I was also moved by what he had to say and hope all goes as well as it can.

Here in Hunstanton the sun returned for another long trip along that twisting coast road. Villages such as Stiffkey and Cley on Sea are very picturesque, but a complete b***** to drive through especially when the Coasthopper bus has a nasty habit of passing through the said villages at the same time, but in the opposite direction!

We visited Cromer today, passing through Sheringham just as the loco was running round the train for the 11.15am departure. Clearly the loco problems continue to persist as the train was to be hauled by another of the line's diesels! This time it was Class 31 D5631.

At Cromer we started out at the Amazona Zoo which is always a favourite visit. Not the biggest zoo, but definitely a place to spend a good half a day - and longer if you watch all of the animal feedings. Sadly Amber was having a tired day. After rushing past the flamingos, tapirs and capybaras in hunt for the parrots, she clapped eyes on the adventure playground and decided to have a "two year old moment". She HAD to play on it there and then, and no amount of persuading would seem to work. After "dragging" her around the spider monkey, otter  and cayman displays we admitted defeat!

We did get to see the rest of the animals after lunch and Amber finally got to see the parrots and was quite impressed with the big cats. The Jaguars are stunning and came right up to the bars of the cage for a few photographs.

Later we managed a couple of hours in Cromer itself before the tiredness got the better of Amber and she started dozing off in the pushchair. She actually slept for the whole hour and a quarter journey back to Hunstanton. This gave her a second wind and so we decided to take her out for a walk in the evening to wear her out again. This took us via the Ancient Mariner pub for a swift pint whilst she played on the play area, and then onto Old Hunstanton beach to collect sea shells! We even managed a paddle in the sea. It all worked and she was straight to sleep when we got back. Hopefully she will be in a better mood tomorrow as we plan to visit Wroxham (via the Bure Valley Railway).

I will post more pics once they have been downloaded.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all.

I am returned, almost in one piece (except for one ankle which seemed to take exception to walking round York twice yesterday afternoon/evening.  Most trains ran on or very near to time until I got back to FGW land this evening where the commuter service had fallen apart due to a broken train but i managed the final leg in a taxi.  East Coast's tea is as bad as ever, Cross Country's is not too bad at all, the bog smell on Voyagers has still not gone away, the rough riding on ECML Mk4 coaches also hasn't gone away so privytisation hasn't achieved a vast amount apart from turning railway buildings in York into hotels or council offices.

York was full of tourists and some even spoke in English with a British accent.  Today's train ride to Shildon took me over part of the route of Britain's oldest public railway, and art times it felt like it (although the Up line was being relaid - but I'm not sure why with such an infrequent train service.  First ever visit to Locomotion but no time available to look around its full extent but it does look interesting.  the business of the day went well, the star of the show looks absolutely delightful - see below.  The buffet was nice, the chat was interesting, and the day went well for Locomotion and Bachmann I think.

That nice Mr Hargrave - of this parish - gave me a lift to Durham station which avoided the bouncing all the way back to darlington.  And he got me there in sufficient time to come up with Plan C for the journey home and get onto a Cross Country train which would get me home at exactly the same time as one via London 5 minutes later although teh convenience had to be weighed up against the occasionally wafting smell.

Now for a double whammy - sorry Debs but Graham Hubbard very nicely arranged this for me after I'd missed the main outdoor photo session and here is the new offering, due before Christmas for those whose orders are placed in time, sitting on one of the spokes of the rear driving wheel of the engine it is based on.   It was also great fun sitting at the lunch table with this a few inches in front of me where I could compare it with the real one sitting only a few yards away outside.

post-6859-0-80392100-1406669176_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all.

I am returned, almost in one piece (except for one ankle which seemed to take exception to walking round York twice yesterday afternoon/evening.  Most trains ran on or very near to time until I got back to FGW land this evening where the commuter service had fallen apart due to a broken train but i managed the final leg in a taxi.  East Coast's tea is as bad as ever, Cross Country's is not too bad at all, the bog smell on Voyagers has still not gone away, the rough riding on ECML Mk4 coaches also hasn't gone away so privytisation hasn't achieved a vast amount apart from turning railway buildings in York into hotels or council offices.

York was full of tourists and some even spoke in English with a British accent.  Today's train ride to Shildon took me over part of the route of Britain's oldest public railway, and art times it felt like it (although the Up line was being relaid - but I'm not sure why with such an infrequent train service.  First ever visit to Locomotion but no time available to look around its full extent but it does look interesting.  the business of the day went well, the star of the show looks absolutely delightful - see below.  The buffet was nice, the chat was interesting, and the day went well for Locomotion and Bachmann I think.

That nice Mr Hargrave - of this parish - gave me a lift to Durham station which avoided the bouncing all the way back to darlington.  And he got me there in sufficient time to come up with Plan C for the journey home and get onto a Cross Country train which would get me home at exactly the same time as one via London 5 minutes later although teh convenience had to be weighed up against the occasionally wafting smell.

Now for a double whammy - sorry Debs but Graham Hubbard very nicely arranged this for me after I'd missed the main outdoor photo session and here is the new offering, due before Christmas for those whose orders are placed in time, sitting on one of the spokes of the rear driving wheel of the engine it is based on.   It was also great fun sitting at the lunch table with this a few inches in front of me where I could compare it with the real one sitting only a few yards away outside.

attachicon.gifDSCF7786.jpg

That black lining [on the wheels] is going to be a right fine job, then.  :jester:

Edited by southern42

Evening all,

Still warm here at 11pm! Visited by grandson and partner bearing gifts from their recent break in Teneriefe. They were accompanied by his daughter Ava and his brothers son, Freddie - both 3year olds so all patio set painting was shelved for today!

Lovely pics in the thread from several members. Just as Ian remarked, Dr Station Cats images took us back many years and it was nice to see that nothing much has changed including the expense. Likewise, Polly's shots reminded me of lots of happy times behind the 'Double Fairlie's. Neil's, well they just look like great fun!

Hope all of you on holiday continue to enjoy safely and spare a thought for poor old Dick who seems to have had a horrible day!

NASA was created today in 1958, can't believe it was so long ago. Hump day tomorrow so soon be half way through another week.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

Did you manage to see the view from Durham Station?

My history tutor used to tell me it was the best view in Europe (actually on the arches). Since then the Pont de Normandie has been built, but I believe he is still right. But I'm still in love with Durham...

• Like 3

Morning everyone, especially Jock to whom dawns must look pretty sweet.

Well, up at the crack and ready for another one!

After all the fun of yesterday I had the candidate emailing me until after 10 with changes to a petition - but the person who did the work is now on holiday and I'm having to recreate a pdf in Pages in the wrong font (the 'official' one costs £755 for a full set...) So that's the first job. 

Then the wood.

Then shopping.

Then maybe sorting that plank out.

And to think I retired because I was sick of having all my days rigidly mapped out

I came to a sort-of epiphany moment yesterday. I don't think I want a layout with actual moving trains. I want a big shelf with a collection on it, so that's what I'm going to work on. All those couplings are coming off! Trouble is that acquiring stuff with motors is expensive. I'll think of something.

I hope everyone has a good day - it's Hump Day isn't it? Don't hit the buffers!

• Like 2

Morning everyone, especially Jock to whom dawns must look pretty sweet.

I take that view too.

Another way of looking at it is to consider whatever you do, make it worthwhile by doing your best. Even shopping!

Or: My Wife really likes the old Eagles - particularly the old song “Witchy Woman”.  I know the lead guitar parts to several Eagles songs, including “New Kid in Town”, “Lying Eyes” and “Peaceful Easy Feeling” but not "Witchy Woman” (WW).

Most Eagles songs are quite simple - it’s the nuances that catch you out as I found out when I tried to learn the introduction to WW yesterday morning.

I know I got the notes right but it didn’t sound right. Searched my memory - I saw their first gig in the UK - which was playing live at a BBC “Inconcert” recording at Shepherds Bush Studios - so the first thing I remembered was that Glen Frey (sic) was actually using a Les Paul Custom, fairly clean through a Marshall Super Lead half-stack. Now I actually have a LP Custom and a Marshall half stack in my basement.

I laid down the Strat I was playing and got the old Les Paul out. I couldn’t be assed to drag up the half-stack to the den so I spent about an hour programming my “simulation” amplifier to sound almost identical.

Now came the really hard part. Sounding like the record -  which was actually Glen and Bernie Leadon playing the intro together but slightly different parts, particularly the bits after the hammer-on initial bit. I found I could toss in the odd section of Bernie’s part whilst keeping to Glen’s (which is more dominant to the casual listener, what they recognize as WW, in other words). It was difficult but achievable.

About 2 hours later when she came in from gardening to have some tea I played it.

“That sounds really nice” she said before changing the subject and asking me to clear up after her outside.

Actually it really made me happy inside!

I doubt I’ll ever play it again......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I think I've just added an extra bit to Einstein's theories of relativity.

During term time hump days come round slowly. In holidays they seem to fly by.

I'll write a formula for it later.

• Like 5

Good morning one and all, 

Hump day again and the first proper working day of the week for me!  Good to see all the photos, thanks folks.  

Jocks attitude is one to be admired,  keep smiling chap.    

Not much else from me at the mo, 

Have the best day you can,

Trev.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start, blue sky & sunshine so looks set for another nice day.

Yesterday I heard the sad news that another old friend who I'd lost contact with has died. Yet again I'd put off getting in touch and once again it's too late. 

Various comments here about making the most of your time, Jock's fantastic attitude and Pete's comment above "whatever you do, make it worthwhile by doing your best" have made me think a lot.

I'm spending far too much time sitting on my backside lately, (particularly in front of laptop and on here) so intend to change things a bit. Not quite sure how yet but for a start it's about time I tried to do something to the layout instead of talking about doing something. (and just buying stock)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all! Sunny here!

Pete being able to do what you do is a great gift. If only I could apply myself to modelling in the same way. My musical abilities are nil but hey ho the odd rugby song can always make an appearance.

Every day is a good day here on planet earth even if there are some nasty things going on. My view is it great to go to sleep but even better waking up!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Baz

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning, grey and overcast with a high of 19c forecast.

Installing new bathroom downlighters today in 2 bathrooms which means getting up in the loft, who knows what I will find that I forgot I had!

Fingers crossed hopefully railway related.

Henry Fords birthday today well it would be if he was alive 151 years, also Kate Bush her birthday today but its impolite to mention a woman's age so they say.

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 4

Interesting philosophical outlooks being shared on here and I can certainly concur with the importance of not leaving things too late.

At present, I live in what some would regard as a dream house with plenty of space for entertaining and gorgeous views in all directions (inc Dartmoor in the distance). We are in a lovely part of the country with temperate weather and the house benefits from many South facing windows. Both of us are financially secure and have found a welcome at the church and amateur theatre to which we belong.

But..... if you are not with the right person, then you can never be really happy. Hence, my decision to spend as much of the rest of my life as possible with Ian.

Make the most of whatever you do!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 12

Morning all

I think I've just added an extra bit to Einstein's theories of relativity.

During term time hump days come round slowly. In holidays they seem to fly by.

I'll write a formula for it later.

I recall a University lecturer who came up with the 4th Law of Motion - the Time of Arrival is inversely proportional to the Distance of Travel, ie those closest are always late!  This was aimed at students in a hall of residence about 100 metres away from a lecture block who were always late to lectures.

• Like 5

Another Sunny day with a promised max of 22C.

Chicken pie with veg for lunch today. They really do it well.

Referring to Simon's quote above, relating to the time of arrival being inversely proportionate to the distance traveled, it was evident at my school whose pupils came from every reach of the 69km long Cape Peninsula. I took a bus, train and bus to get there and was never late. The boys who lived within sound of the clock tower bell invariably were.

I was about to end "Happy Days" but then remembered that not all school days were entirely happy.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

They have just said on the radio that the Government will allow driverless cars on Britain's roads from next year. Should be fun!

Ed

Judging by the general standards displayed in the Telford area when it comes to vehicular control, I was convinced that these cars were already driverless!

• Like 1

I recall a University lecturer who came up with the 4th Law of Motion - the Time of Arrival is inversely proportional to the Distance of Travel, ie those closest are always late!  This was aimed at students in a hall of residence about 100 metres away from a lecture block who were always late to lectures.

Strangely enough this was verified by a study of engineering students at Napier University about ten years ago. I forgot who did the research, but it rang true.

They also linked lateness and absence to daytime television.

• Like 8

Morning all, cloudy over Borough Market Junction this morning.

Had a day off yesterday for the oldest junuior Lurker's birthday. Thought we might go out somewhere for the day but he preferred to spend the day lurking in his room, playing his new PS3 games. He's getting the lurking off to a t. I took advantage of the time to get my hair cut and renew my driving licence photocard, in that order. As I said to the abrber, I don't want to be stuck with a photo of my hair like this for the next ten years...

Good to hear positive news from Jock, his outlook is always inspiring.

And I can have every sympathy with Andyram. Sometimes there are times when you have to rearrange the order you've planned to do things as it's easier on the ears. Two year olds have amazing stamina - or is that stubbornness? - at times

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very pleasant here today.

We are off to Droitwich for a couple of days, not for the spa waters or baths though, my brother lives there.

Robbie is still at the kennels, I thought it wasn't a good idea to bring him home for one day (yesterday) and take him back again today. I have booked him in until Saturday morning but if we are back early enough on Friday I'll collect him then.

Matthew spoke to us for about an hour yesterday via Skype. Mainly about what he does at work and some of the social activities but really he did want to talk about a small dilemma he was facing at work. I think we helped him!

Tony 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's going to be a fantastic day. 

No idea why, apart from the fact that it's swmbo's first day of holidays. And well deserved they are too.

The sun is shining, a couple of job applications to get in and a search for a packet of track pins will commence in earnest. Every journey starts with the first step. Find the pins and fix the track. Fix the track and move on to the scenery. 

The roses are out and finally some are showing signs of their advertised scent. 

Best wishes to Ian and Ashers for a long and happy life together. 

Good work, Pete, on getting that sound right! 

Ian I only know the W&L a little bit but also love the VofR. Dangerously they both lure me towards OO9. Damn the Welsh! 

Ian A, hope that you'll give us all your itinerary for next year and perhaps some of us may be able to meet you in person. Tap us for info as much as you need to make your trip a success!

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 2