The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It's always useful to see where you're going, Jam!!

Does have it's advantages!

Comfortable, yes. However I guess there's an aromatic penalty involved!

I've slept amongst cows before, very warm, but the smell can be off-putting! Plus you often get trodden on.

Awful news from Cumbria today, absolutely shocking. Obviously thoughts with everyone in the area.

It has thrown up a little railway mystery, though. One report was from outside The Hound Inn, with what looked to me like a Mk I carriage in the background in chocolate/cream livery or Pullman livery. According to one website I've looked at, it's rumoured this carriage conveyed the Earl of Mountbatten to his funeral but they've no proof to back this up.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Agree with you there, Mike :( . Horrible - my sympathies are with the victims and their relatives and friends.

Weather's quite friendly today - perhaps I'll have a go at superdetailing another loco. Good thing it's a bank holiday!

Cheers!

Sleeping on straw is NOT very comfortable. Very scratchy.

Having just got out of a soft warm bed (to the accompanyment of thunder, lightning and a down-pour), I wouldn't mind crawling back in!

Luckily the rain had stopped by the time I had to negotiate the very steep back stairs to the garage, so arrived at work dry.

Hey, it's Thursday! Two days till sleep in Saturday!

(Sleep in means not having to get up until 6:30!)

Enjoy today gents. You never know when there is going to be no tomorrow.

(Now that's a cheerfull thought for the day.) :P

I do wish your footballers well, but I will not be looking after them

I will be staying very clear of any venue that has anything to do with the Cup.

The noise of the Vuvulelas is DEAFENING and will likely permanently affect the long term hearing of any fans attending the matches.

GOOD LUCK to England's team.

Morning all! For those of you with a musical ear, try playing Radiohead's Creep and then The Hollies' Air That I Breathe. Play spot the similarity!

What are Vuvulelas, Don? I'm very worried about England's team selection for the South Africa World Cup. I think most other teams will be taking two spinners.

Morning All,

Quite a nice morning here - which is good considering that it is a bank holiday!

I'm taking the little guy to a jousting tournament today. He has been going on about it for weeks.

Have a good day everyone.

A vuvuzela is a plastic horn, about 1 meter long, one note only and extremely LOUD. It is blown by just about every fan at South African soccer matches.

HORRENDOUS noise. It makes communication between players on the field extremely difficult if not impossible. You have to hear it blown by 20,000 fans simultaneously to believe it.

"most other teams will be taking two spinners"

We on the other hand have approx 10,000 strikers to choose from.

(The entire rail network, country wide, was brought to a standstill by a strike of 3 Unions for two weeks!

post-182-127555102827.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I just read that, down in New Zealand, four men were apprehended after having stolen all of fourteen sheep and crammed them into a Mazda 626 limousine. Two of the culprits managed to escape for the time being while the other two were detained; sadly, two sheep did not survive the ordeal. The plan had been to bring them to an illegal butchery.

... :blink:

A vuvuzela is a plastic horn, about 1 meter long, one note only and extremely LOUD. It is blown by just about every fan at South African soccer matches.

HORRENDOUS noise. It makes communication between players on the field extremely difficult if not impossible. You have to hear it blown by 20,000 fans simultaneously to believe it.

"most other teams will be taking two spinners"

We on the other hand have approx 10,000 strikers to choose from.

(The entire rail network, country wide, was brought to a standstill by a strike of 3 Unions for two weeks!

So that's where those bl**dy things went. They were all shipped to South Africa. Those were very common in hockey rinks in Canada back in the 70s. I agree, fecking awful noise.

Absolutely nothing happening in the boring boring borough these days.

• RMweb Gold

Hello.

It is a lovely morning here. Clear blue sky. I've done part of my exercise for the day which consisted of putting out rubbish and recycling bags. Lots of bags full of shredded stuff !

I've been trying to be efficient and have started sorting out stuff for the August holiday. Last night a major search was initiated for the EHIC cards (the ones that replaced E 111) and research to see what new driving regulations apply to the countries we may visit. Trying to work out if Denmark requires one hi-vis jacket per car occupant or one for each seat. I must go and buy headlamp beam deflectors and not leave it until the day before we go as I used to. I think the last time we took our own car overseas was 2003 and even that was technically undersea as we used Le Shuttle through the Channel Tunnel. I haven't been on a ferry for years and definitely not from Harwich ever before.

Not sure what I'll be doing for dinner tonight. My wife is going out to lunch with a colleague who has recommended a local (local to work) cafe that serves Caribbean food and only requires a light snack this evening.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one. Looks like I have a meeting this afternoon so I'll have to rouse myself and get into the office. How inconsiderate, I had nearly finished building the point complex for the Western end of the layout! Still, day off tomorrow to go driving a Ferrari at Thruxton. :)

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Morning all looks sunny outside I woke up late again. Hopefully our costs bill goes before the court today and then it becomes a money extraction process which will be unpleasant and prolonged. Mortons fork anybody?

• RMweb Premium

Morning (just) ERs

By the time I submit, it will be afternoon.

Felt really bad about events in Cumbria, and as I often visit that part of the country (Lakes, R&ER and historc house visiting) and only an hour's drive, it was a bit close to home - again! Last similar event was also close to home, as I visit Hungerford several times a year, and also often spend a week there house sitting for relatives! This event will inevitably open old wounds there, and aslo in Dunblane. I won't comment too much now, except to say it's odd how these mass shooting events all seem to have taken plce in small communties, Hungerford, Dunblane, Workington - none of which is a huge town.

Jam - get those eeyes seen to soon - if you drive without corrective lenses when they are needed, it's an offence - and one which need not happen - I have worn glasses for over 30 years now, and if nothing else, they give me something to fiddle with.

Cloudy bright here today, but stuck in work now til 8 tonight.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I've needed reading glasses for a few years now but my distance vision was fine. I have my eyes checked regularly as the optician likes to monitor a few problems I have. So I was a bit concerned when I was driving to the model railway club when I noticed that the vision in my left eye was much worse (but still driving legal!) than my right eye. I went into the optician but they reassured me that they knew my left wasn't as good as my right and were waiting for me to notice.

I spent the morning assembling the dog box. Robbie was suspicious but did get in and seems to be happy enough now that he has been driven down to the park. The box is of Swiss manufacture and "is not to be used for the transport of children".

Matthew and I will have chicken tonight. As my wife thinks she is having something goat based for lunch today I'll not have too much problem doing something different for her light snack.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it amazing just how many RMweb members can't remember where they have been and have to post threads asking for help.

Must be an age thing....

Now where am I and where did I pput my glasses?

• RMweb Gold

I usually know where I am but which day it is can be confusing. Fortunately the RMwebbers seem to have their cameras with them so help can be sent. When I was supposed to be getting a new phone for my wife (got distracted by car buying) I noticed that some phones come with maps and GPS. I wonder what will be the next thing to be integrated into phones.

Tony

• RMweb Gold
I wonder what will be the next thing to be integrated into phones.

..or how much smaller they will get.

I'm sure that if God had wanted us to use phones so small he would have put our mouths somewhere high up on our cheeks closer to the ear.

• RMweb Gold

I guess the only thing stopping mobile phones getting smaller is the need to actually be able to push the buttons! If you've got a phone where you seem to push down 4 at once then it is not going to be particularly helpful...

My package of 6 4-wheeled NG coaches arrived this morning. Trying to cut out the window frames is proving to be more difficult than expected. So far I've done 1/5th of one side...

• RMweb Gold

I guess the only thing stopping mobile phones getting smaller is the need to actually be able to push the buttons! If you've got a phone where you seem to push down 4 at once then it is not going to be particularly helpful...

When I last exchanged my phone for the present one (due to the battery getting wet and doing something nasty to the electronics) , I was most concerned that it had big buttons. I believe the design is called a clam shell. I like that, as to answer a call I open it, and close it to end a call.

Just before leaving the car dealer on Saturday, the nice salesman asked me if I would like my phone to work in the car. I must have looked a bit blank as he offered to do it it for me. I didn't complicate matters further by asking if I could drive the new (well new to me) car with my Bluetooth mouse. When I last bought a car power steering and air-con were the height of sophistication.

Tony