The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, out early to Asda for Mrs B's new glasses can't fault the service but new lenses are required to get better reading, think I will stick to my old glasses for a while longer glass reactolite lenses are totally obsolete these days. Looking forward to qualifying today. Pete exlifeboatman just forget them so you haven't got six fingers no biggy just show them two and leave. From experience looking after an ill wife plus any age children is enough to fill your days and nights. 

• Like 2

Went to see Showboat in the Wales Millennium Centre last night.

Brilliant production - if it comes your way don't miss it.

Don Bradley - it was performed by a Capetown company with some real nice voices.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I did do a search, and there's a "Steve75C", so maybe "75CPete" might help distinguish you.

I think the fact that one is Steve and the other Pete might help too.

Small problem this morning.  Toothpaste in white tube, shaving cream in black tube; at least this morning I got minty cheeks because I have done it the other way round in the past.

Bill

Could have been worse. You could have been looking for the Germaloids. :O

One last thing to the Artist formerly known as Lifeboatman. Please don't change names again into some sort of squiggle. Stick with Pete. :sungum:

I would seriously consider writing a formal and polite letter to the higher ups. That way they have it in writing as to why you left. No doubt the same ones that were disparaging you are now saying that you couldn't cut the mustard and gave up or something similar. I think the RNLI deserve to know why they lost a volunteer. Otherwise the assclowns will see this as an opportunity to make life miserable for others as a way of getting rid of "foreigners" or people that don't meet their xenophobic ideal.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

How is The Station Cat getting on?  No photographs of Lichtenstein bins yet! 

Bill

Seemingly ok thanks Bill - she was part way back to her base when she rang yesterday and her main report was about the heat.  Today might produce some pics as she is heading for the Achenseebahn - I think she's been saving up!

• Like 4

I'll consider writing a letter to RNLI HQ in Poole. The assclowns as Andrew eloquently put it caused a couple of young volunteers to quit last year. One of them was even berated for missing a training day after his mum had died in a traffic accident. I do hope this is a xenophobic Sheringham thing and not widespread. Banter is one thing but bullying is another, the guy was only 22.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and "Good on ya", Pete. In my experience of volunteer work there's none more cat-y than those that seek to do good! The "I'm more worthy than thou" syndrome seems to pervade charities in this country.

Thanks for the ident on my pigeon slayer; I suspected it may have been a sparrow hawk but twitching isn't my area of expertise.

Now she is back dare I mention that my traverser is causing problems. Thought not, I'll put something on my layout thread.  

NHN, sorry to hear of your wife's treatment whilst having treatment. Bat it up the chain of command is my suggestion.

I don't think that just because you pay their wages means they have the right to not speak to you when you speak to them?

Off out to the garden to tidy up my roses. Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'll consider writing a letter to RNLI HQ in Poole. The assclowns as Andrew eloquently put it caused a couple of young volunteers to quit last year. One of them was even berated for missing a training day after his mum had died in a traffic accident. I do hope this is a xenophobic Sheringham thing and not widespread. Banter is one thing but bullying is another, the guy was only 22.

Then it should definitely be brought to the attention of a 'higher authority' Pete - in fact they ought really to be asking you rather than you having to tell them.   Volunteer organisations depend on, well, volunteers and if they are not welcomed into a team they can quickly become disenchanted and leave; the organisation's loss - not just theirs.

• Like 1

Pete, I fully agree with the others that you would be doing the organisation a service by making it clear to the top brass exactly what happened to you. I should also make sure that they are aware of what happened to that youngster - scandalous! My experience of the lifeboat service in Cornwall, and they don't come more insular than the Cornish, is that your skills are the primary requirement, not your origin. Isn't it fantastic to once again have the supportive nature of ERs demonstrated!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Went to see Showboat in the Wales Millennium Centre last night.

Brilliant production - if it comes your way don't miss it.

Don Bradley - it was performed by a Capetown company with some real nice voices.

Dave

...we saw it at the Lyric, Salford Quays in mid July...superb...full credit to the Cape Town performers.

Encore!!

Dave

Aft'noon all,

....after a busy morning at the Leek show in sweltering sunshine....eating freshly cooked hog roast pork & stuffing baps, scotch eggs and drinking pints of Magners iced cider whilst watching the motorcycle stunt team and livestock exhibits....I've called it a draw and headed home for more iced drinks and a comfortable seat in the shade. Alarm now set for the F1 qualifying later.

Full marks to the show team...very enjoyable!!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

To the artist formally known as Lifeboatman......

A friend who worked as a doctor at Norwich told me that a lot of notes for patients born and bred in that neck of the woods are annotated' NFN'.

Apparently 'Normal for Norfolk' covers a wide range of physical and mental ailments.

I know I'm local after 20 years in our village because I'm finally on the rota.

This means I can stand at the sign at the edge of the village looking slightly vacant and play the banjo.  (Those on here who know me, know only the former is true!)

Then I got every small-holder in the area asking me to help out with their pest control issues......................hence the earlier comments about pigeon pasties.

I did point out to one of the local oiks that I'd actually been living in the village longer than he had been born................I think he is still trying to work out a swift and witty retort (expected around Christmas!)

• Like 1

400 Harleys on Sheringham High St at the moment doing their annual charity thing. I think last year it was East Anglian Air Ambulance. Not sure what it is this year. Nice jacket!

attachicon.gifgrumpy.jpg

Has he ever been on a bike? Needs Weathering............perhaps he has but has never left the village.........

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To the artist formally known as Lifeboatman......

A friend who worked as a doctor at Norwich told me that a lot of notes for patients born and bred in that neck of the woods are annotated' NFN'.

A nutritionist friend of mine who worked in those parts also said that medical notes might be annotated SEFS; Slow Even for Suffolk.

I should say that my lineage goes way back to.....Suffolk!  

• RMweb Gold

Last year some bloke standing for the council told me he was local - I replied that I couldn't remember him from schooldays and he said 'I've lived here for 30 years' (which is actually quite good in a town full of incomers).  I simply told him that I went to school with one of his opponents, who had later been apprenticed to my father!  BTW dad was an incomer having arrived from Yorkshire to, initially, work  on the estate where his uncle worked - he worked in the area for the rest of his life apart from various jobs away during the war and was fully integrated locally.  His main local claim to fame was that whenever any of the banks had trouble opening their safe or had lost the keys they sent for him and he duly opened it for them (he was a carpenter and joiner by trade, not a locksmith but he was good with locks :O ).  Mum wasn't local either having arrived as a probationer from teacher training college - and then managing, in some cases, to teach three generations of local children, so again fully integrated into the community.

The modern incomers just see the place as a dormitory and have little real local association - unlike Pete who has got involved, that's what it's all about in my book and that's how you become 'local' if you weren't born there.

• Like 2