The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Re the modular layout and Bachmann debates: I wonder, if we had our real names displayed would people be so trigger happy at the keyboard? I suspect not. 

Horatio Grafton Hesperus Clarence St John Hippo?

I suspect probably :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

S'OK Polly, we are in the British Isles - just not the UK or the EU!

23c now and breathless out.  I predict motorcycling.

Neil, I originally put the UK (as contrast to Pete's US) but had a rethink. Forgot, I could've simply used the line through.  Oh well. Too early. Too hot.

I've just come in from putting the washing out and watering the pot plants.

Now, I'm cooling down with a cuppa.  :heat:

Catch up again later.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Ddolfelin - Yes, Sherry is tolerant, has put up with me for 10 years!

Polly - ERs' wildlife? Most of us are a bit past that stage of entertainment, but some of us will do our best before we die!

Gordon - yes, the word handicap takes on a new meaning for that chap. But, wow, what an attitude to life!

Bluebottle - I agree re Rod S's singing. But I'd love some of his modelling skills!

Smiffy - share your ennui at the prospect of being talked to death about a financial "product". Retirement was supposed to get us away from men (and women) in suits.

Andrew C - point of accuracy/anorak mode: Morris Marina, not Austin, aka ADO28 (Amalgamated Drawing Office).

Weather here very warm already, thus making garden chores a trial.

Hope the week is moving past at your chosen rate.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It's hot - but that's hardly news.  I have wondered about tidying the big shed but need dry weather to do that and it's far too hot at present: is a 50 year old Hercules bike with drop handlebars worth anything (tyres are perished tho')?  And all my wood is not going - that's in there for a rainy day, had enough trouble hiding it from the builders when they discarded it.

Anyway today we have adventure - we're going to the Savacentre in the land beyond Reading in order to buy proper Yorkshire Gold tea and, hopefully, crispbakes, neither are obtainable in this over-hyped over-priced 'market town' (that's what some idiot on the council calls it).  A visit to Dunelm Mills will also be included - we do live an exciting life don't we?

Meanwhile the good Doktor has gone off on some BA special offer thing, started by blagging her way into the Concord Lounge at LHR and is now ensconced in what looks to be a rather pleasant 4* hotel in the Inn Valley a few kms from Innsbruck, her first report summarises as 'hot but not too humid, nice view of the mountains from my balcony'.  Some folk! (but if TH came up with a last minute cancellation on 'our' ship I think we'd be off - assuming our Privileged thing has kicked in for the rest of this year).

Have a nice day everyone, I think I've not got to do the vacuuming.

Edit to correct a typo and a punctuation error :O

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I was up early this morning as Robbie seemed to want to go out and chase noisy pigeons away. Then back to sleep (I don't seem to have trouble sleeping now, more difficult staying awake!) and then (after waking) a trip to deliver Aditi for blood tests. She is off to work in a few minutes. College shuts at the end of day for a fortnight  but her new boss needs a meeting tomorrow. Aditi will be on a train rather than attending the meeting  which will have to be off-site (but not on our train fortunately).

. Back to the sterile wastelands of Canary Wharf for me. Reminds me of Houston but without the gun crime.

My first view of Houston was driving at night and I thought it did look a bit like Canary Wharf. Though I also thought the approaches to Galveston were similar to Canvey Island.

Morning all

Andrew C - point of accuracy/anorak mode: Morris Marina, not Austin, aka ADO28 (Amalgamated Drawing Office).

Old habits. It was always marketed and sold in Canada as the Austin Marina. AKA pile of sh!t. It was basically the death knell for Leyland's export business to North America. A few niche dealerships still imported Minis but the rest of the range was commercial poison after the Marina.

Morning all ( + Debs, Hurrah! )

Just finished the first clay stage of building an oven in Jane's garden.  Waiting 5 days for the next layer to go on.  Then another 5 for the final one, and 5 days after that the grand fire up!

Goat curry and Naan Breads planned for the first menu, closely followed by serial pizzas.  Please form an orderly queue and no pushing in Dudders!

post-312-0-51607400-1406194297_thumb.jpg

PS, any resemblance of the cob oven to an early steam loco is entirely coincidental................................(thanks for saving my bacon Richard!)

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 15

Morning all,

My plans for the day changed early this morning - grandson's 'partner' has received an emergency appointment for 10 week old Amelie at Colchester General (she has some sort of eating disorder) and so we have been elected to care for 3year old Freddie in her absence.

It is also granddaughter Ella's birthday (aka the 'blonde bombshell'), she is sixteen today and Joanna and I can't believe how quickly our little favourite has grown up! Apparently I'm treating them both to a nice lunch today, and looking on the bright side, it will be better than the sandwich I would have had!

Dick, I now refuse to visit the bank where even the counter staff are targeted to sell you something. Last time I had a meeting to discuss my accounts, it was simply a sales pitch! Funny thing is that they all seem to think that you bank with only them. Good advert for internet banking. You will be happy with the 'Jinty' if you pick one up - I read 'TheWeatheringMan's report on the GBL thread before going to Smiths and picked up a near perfect example. If nothing else, it will make a nice static addition to an MPD with a little weathering! (sorry for the digression Debs!).

Gordon, what an inspiration that round must have been, another example of 'mind over matter!'

Sherry, you are indeed very tolerant but it is definitely the way to be - the old adage 'life's too short' springs to mind! Over my years in business, I was very surprised at the large number of families that were divided by senseless feuds which could have been avoided by simple adult behaviour. Pleased to hear that you and O/H are taking the internet path - I got screwed when the solicitors became involved, despite having a perfectly reasonable agreement in place which had been witnessed by FiL! Wouldn't mind but I was in Round Table and Rotary with the said expert (bar steward)!!

Hope everyone's Thursday brings what you expect,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Debs - see how much we missed you!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

PS, any resemblance to an early steam loco is entirely coincidental................................

If I put a photo of the Obergrumpenfuhrer on display with a comment like that, and she found out about it, I would be on the first fast flight back to the Limpopo! :jester:

Definitely not on the Woolwich or Bexleyheath lines. Its worse than ever.  Agree about the 376 vent throbbing. Its not even aircon, its supposedly pressure ventilation. The units don't work properly and never have done. Free migraine with every season ticket! May not be fair blaming the manufacturer but every company has its Austin Marina, and for Bombardier the 376 is just that.

SWMBO is currently sitting outside of London Bridge on a train that was supposed to arrive @ CST 21 minutes ago. She averages 2 cancellations a week inbound and at least one outbound. That's a 30% failure rate. Not to mention their little trick of cancelling intermediate stops in order to gain time and fudge their statistics. Sometimes they will forget to announce these changes until after leaving London Bridge. Been caught going to Slade Green or Dartford non-stop before with no notice. A train is only deemed late or cancelled based on its final destination and not intermediate calling points.

Looking at Trains.im this morning. SE have 15 cancelled or more than 30 min late services so far, and 17 running between 5 and 30 late. Compared to FCC which has had 6 services between 5 and 30 late and 0 cancellations.

Enough bitching about the rail service voted worst in Britain by Which.

Morning all from a sweltering boring borough. The house is in full pizza oven mode and I'm slowly melting. Blergh. Work is annoying at the moment. A couple of asshats that need shooting but nothing serious.

New project starts next week so no more work from home for a few months. Back to the sterile wastelands of Canary Wharf for me. Reminds me of Houston but without the gun crime.

Have a good one all.

The Sidcup line seems to be a bit better then! Perhaps its because half the trains in the morning rush start at Sidcup (and hence have seats at Sidcup and sometimes even New Eltham!

I was in early today - no getting kids up now that school has finished, but work keeps getting in the way of proper update!

• Like 3

If I put a photo of the Obergrumpenfuhrer on display with a comment like that, and she found out about it, I would be on the first fast flight back to the Limpopo! :jester:

Ah, yes, hadn't thought of that......time for a timely edit methinks.............

• Like 5

A very late Good Morning from me.

It seems to take longer and longer each day to read through the days posts.

I am intrigued to read the froth from the "Modular Thread". I also ALWAYS read locked threads, just to see what got them locked,

Been interrupted More later

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have returned as the snow was not too deep and am now off shed. I have actually disposed of a small paint can containing a solid lump of white gloss many years old.  Even I cannot think of a use for that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I don't know what the temp is outside but it certainly in the high 20's I think.  Got back from my bike ride and enjoyed it.  I was hoping to puch my average up but got stymied by 2 miles of newly tarred and gravelled road which cut a normally fast bit down to 10mph or les due to the loose gravel.  However I'm happy with the rate of recovery of my pulse when i got home.  Dropped from 144 to 93 in 10 minutes so I must be doing something right.  As I'm now nearly 40% of the way to drawing my pension for longer than i paid it I have to keep going to achive my ambition.   Now hopefully for a bit of modelling this afternoon.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning again.

First activity of the school holiday 1st day was water colour painting. I chose a photo of Lake Como for them to copy; AKA, "This is where we're not going on holiday!"  :jester:

I was then thrashed in Monopoly by my eldest who seemed to interpret the house building rule in a way that would make most property developers blush! 

It could be worse, they might have dug out "Blast Off", a game that took longer than the actual space race itself! 

Andy 

• Like 3

Well, got up this morning to discover a rash starting on both forearms. So I troop off the the morning drop in surgery.

It seems I am allergic to the factor 30 sun cream I put on my forearms on Tuesday when taking GD to the park :yes:

So I've been prescribed a steroid cream to get rid of the rash,

Be good all of you,

Dave

Edited by Danemouth

Well, got up this morning to discover a rash starting on both forearms. So I troop off the the morning drop in surgery.

It seems I am allergic to the factor 30 sun cream I put on my forearms on Tuesday when taking GD to the park :yes:

So I've been prescribed a steroid cream to get rid of the rash,

Be good all of you,

Dave

My eldest developed an allergy to piriton, which we were giving him for his hay fever.

he's also very sensitive to a lot a suncreams. I understand the boots soltan are pretty hyperallegenic, but check with the chemist. Sunbunt and an allergy rash wouldn't be a good condition

Result!

The child-inna-suit who was to see us at the bank was horrific - all gelled hair and hyperactivity. So we asked and got to see our favourite - Tracy. A more mature woman with a sense of humour, she put us right in a few minutes and answered some questions about travel insurance. Just what we needed. I even got a phone call whilst I was in the bank from the bank asking what I wanted, so I said I wanted to speak to Tracy, which I was doing at that moment, in the bank. So the person I was speaking to came out and spoke to us as well. In the bank.

It could make a stupid person's head spin.

Part of the deal now is that if you change plans (which we were doing, to go from 1% to 4% interest on our current account) we have to watch a video. And apparently Head Office check that she has showed it to us, and that we didn't turn it off halfway through. So we left it on with the volume turned down and talked about our holidays...

Too hot for tapas, off for a lie-down and a read.

Have a nice end of the day, all.

• Like 7