The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Just popped in while the TV box decides to have a non-prompted reboot while we were watching and episode of "Castle".

Spent much of this afternoon at the hospital, as I had an appointment in the Orthopoedic department to review the progress on my hip which is giving me some pain from time to time.  I had an appointment for just after 4, but due to bus times/reliability, I arrived about 50 minutes early.  So I asked at checkin whether I should go to the canteen for a cuppa, and was advised that there were only a few people to be seen so I checked in, then asked the nurse if I needed an X-Ray.  She said that she'd check with one of the consulants, but though I was checked in, she didn't bring my file forward in the basket, and as a result, the consultant didn't look, and I just sat and sat, then was called in at my booked appointment time - and then after sitting in an empty consulting room for 10 minutes, was sent for an X-Ray and there was a 30 minute queue - could have been used up by my early arrival, but no.  NHS - DOH.  I need a deep injection into the actual hip joint, which is done as a day procedure - and the waiting time is about 6 weeksw - meantime, it's back on the ibuprofen....

Lily needs her last walk, so first great news from Tony, and

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

New front fog lamp being fitted tomorrow. i bought the housing - it has a single screw to hold it in place BUT to get to the screw the air dams and front bumper have to come off.... now that really is design clever or worse . design for manufacture but not for repair.....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Probably software from Microsoft.

I hired a Ford Focus in Texas that had a Microsoft logo on the entertainment/information system. It didn't ever ask me to open or close the windows though.

• RMweb Gold

I hired a Ford Focus in Texas that had a Microsoft logo on the entertainment/information system. It didn't ever ask me to open or close the windows though.

Did it keep crashing for no reason whatsoever?

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

We gave up doing the 'big' shop as it costs too much....we get meat and big stuff only from the supermarket (no village butcher :-( ) and top up from the village shop - per item the cost is higher, but overall it's a lot cheaper as there are no impulse buys!

I came in for a brew and....looked at the module thread.  Oh dear, all I can think of is Python: 'What is the flight speed of a swallow?'  Asian or European?!!!!!!

I'll say it here because it won't cause any apoplectic rants, but  I think it was the late Cyril Freezer who said something like:

The modular system was considered by British railway modellers and quietly dismissed many years before the Americans  even discovered it had existed.

edit for spelling

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, no-one has mentioned gauge one yet - two different scales in use there in the UK too!  Outrageous costs not withstanding. 

Three if you count the American 1:29 stuff running on 45mm gauge which invariably represents standard gauge practice. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

snip<

I need a deep injection into the actual hip joint, which is done as a day procedure - and the waiting time is about 6 weeksw - meantime, it's back on the ibuprofen....

Lily needs her last walk, so first great news from Tony, and

Regards to All

Stewart

They want to do that to me next visit Stewart, but I am drawing a line under it I think.  Last time I had that done (for the MRI contrast agent) it was worse than ever, so given it isn't exactly an enjoyable procedure I think I have had enough.  It is only a temporary thing anyway, so after weighing it up I think I'll manage without.

Congratulations Aditi, that's good news and I'm sure gives both you (Tony) and her some welcomed relief - I'll drink to your good fortune later this evening :drink_mini:

I've come over all dizzy-like with the discussions of scale/gauge etc., especially in here of all places!

I may have to rethink what I'm doing as i'm getting confused :jester: am I trying to gauge what I scale or scale what I gauge. Then you add silly sods saying 1/72 plastic kits are somewhat useable for OO and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I KNEW I should've got a loco from Barry scrapyard when they were available, then I could just say standard gauge (if there IS such a thing) and 1:1 scale - bingo, bobs-your-uncle (well, he was my dad actually), and viola :senile:

Nighty night all you Euro-ERs - I know, I KNOW, I probably annoyed all the UK residents with that one too, maybe right-side of the pond is a better term... :O

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Did it keep crashing for no reason whatsoever?

Fortunately not. The only in car electronic problem was the Avis version of the Garmin sat nav. Matthew said something to me once that was interpreted by the system as a voice command to change screen to something unhelpful just as we were approaching an "interesting" interchange. 

Though not quite as amusing as our TomTom sat nav informing me that Canada wasn't a country. Even with voice control turned off I think my "You are a very silly device" or something like that must have worked as it eventually realised I wasn't in Europe.

Tony

I've come over all dizzy-like with the discussions of scale/gauge etc., especially in here of all places!

I knew I should have kept my big mouth shut.............................

But really NMRA HO is a damn sight easier. I remember giving up 4mm British (whatever) when I couldn’t sleep for worrying about which coupling system to use - that was a very long time ago, however. Plain daft to get into a state like that...

Have nice evening, Ian!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I've got a railway query and frankly I feel safer posting it here than whatever the (could be scary) appropriate bit of the forum is.

We will be travelling soon on Eurostar to Belgium and joining at Ebbsfleet. We have our piece of paper receipt and the card it was booked with. It isn't permitted to print tickets at home if you have also booked hotel accommodation (as we have) through Eurostar. The machines look like the ones you print pre-booked tickets with at the local cinema. I have pre-booked car parking space and it suggests we turn up an hour before we depart to check in. I won't forget the passports. What I can't work out what happens with luggage. We only intend to take a little case each (airline cabin/carry on size). Does that stay with you or is it taken away for the crossing?

Tony

Just hang onto it Tony.  You might well have to go through security and your luggage will be scanned hence it stays with you so you can be connected to it in the event of secret exports of Benfleet oysters showing up (or whatever).  Take it with you to your coach when you join and you will find various stowage areas available.

Platfrm areas might be colou coded but usually on Eurostar platforms at intermediate stations there are signs showing you where to stand for the different coach numbers - so make sure you know your coach number and get to the part of the platform where that is signed (Coach No1 is London end).  The numbers are shown on the outside of the coaches in small illuminated panels.

If you really wish to impress Aditi it might be worth learning up some of the mlore interesting things you pass enroute - such as the hill where the Grand Old Duke of York marched his men up & down or the distant (on the left) sight of Armentieres as you approach Lille with what looks like a large and long ecclesiastical building - it is fact a brewery.

• Like 4

Evening all,

Great news about Aditi and with a promotion. I can be wicked but I really hope she gets a chance to give that poor excuse for an HR hell in the future! Tony, tonight's nightcap will be raised to you both - I'm sure life at home will be more relaxed now that you can both plan ahead and enjoy the extra income.

No comment on the module thread other than that ten minutes spent reading it will probably dry up any discussion on scale/gauge that has crept in to ERs!

Tonight I've had the comment that, 'now the patio is cleared, perhaps we can get it pressure washed and the painting of the patio set completed'! Can you guess who the 'we' is? So that is tomorrow spoken for but at least it is the hump day for those in gainful employment. One of the problems with retirement is that you don't get a day off!

Hope you all have a good night,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Pete I wasn't defending the British Model Manufacturers. I just think the US got it wrong on 0 gauge they were lucky with HO to start off right. I believe  Bing table top used 16mm but the British developed HO but some chose 4mm and the manufacturers found the extra space for the valve gear and fat wheels useful. The US also had the sense to adopt the european N gauge while PECO opted for a new scale. The US do seem rather confused with what to use for 45mm gauge.

I do agree with you that we (the UK) have made rather a mess of 4mm modelling unfortunately once the 00 bandwagon was rolling none of the major maufacturers thought it made commercial sense to change. When I started modelling seriously the 00 market was full of various standards and poor running seemed the norm so I adopted EM. Today the quality of the commercial offerings is so much better I probably wouldn't bother to change stuff to EM. I chose 2mFS rather than british N but do not get upset using a 1:148 body on a new chassis it was the look of the wheels and track more than the correct gauge.

Don

• RMweb Gold

When posting about Alf I forgot to mention that as a young man he was a pole vaulter he would cut a suitable pole from whatever woods he was working in. He competed in the Olypic games which were held in Much Wenlock for many years.

Don

Morning all. 4.40, so I guess I'm first. Woken at 4am by the disturbing sound of a couple of critters getting amorous in the garden. Being unable to get back to sleep, I then discovered that I'd run out of coffee filter papers. In desperation, I tried to re-use the one from yesterday morning only for that to dissolve in a soggy mess. I now know that you can't use them twice... I'm missing my morning coffee and the shop doesn't open for another 4 hours... Grumpy now. I guess I'll have some tea. :sadclear:

I was up before that! But I was reading and watching Mythbusters...

Problem was a curry last night that left me a little aeolian and uncomfortable.

Nothing in the diary for today, so I've already started modelling. Card brick arches for the background of a photoplank.

Waiting on tenterhooks for WM's review of the GBL Jinty. Well, not exactly tenterhooks. That's another one that'll stay in the packaging in case anyone wants to swap it for a BoB that I can convert into 'Axminster' to mark my respect for the company that have done me proud on customer service twice in the past month. If you do any serious woodworking you'll probably know them already, but they are a major company who give service down to the smallest and cheapest item they sell (in my case a new tyre for a cheapest-in-the-range bandsaw).

That was my only positive from yesterday - awaiting some news of my grandson today which may be good or bad, so ready to support kids if needed. That and picking grand-daughter up from school (last day) and going to Caffé Nero and sitting with her chatting like a couple of old blokes on a park bench. Apparently she's never tried nougat, but she did once own some (the story went on for some time).

A wonderful, sunny day to all. Hope the hump is a happy hump for you.

• Like 4

The Useless Box

As a man, and one easily amused, I want this Useless Box more than anything else.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apVR5Htz0K4

Chatting in work tonight, after finding the Useless Box, I realised that in work we bend time....

I work 4 shifts a week, which cover 5 days

I start work on the same day I finish work

I work 4 shifts, but have 4 days off in a week

Yes it confused me too! Only 2 more shifts, or 3 days until the weekend. Looking forward to doing some modelling for a change!

Hope you all have a happy and productive day, best wishes

Mark

• Like 8

Morning All,

It is a nice sunny morning here today, but the humidity is still incredibly high.

I have a day of testing to look forward to today!

Have a good one everybody...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Sunny and agreeably mild. Appointment in the early afternoon, and tonight, out for dinner at what I personally think is the very best Chinese restaurant I ever visited.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start and looks like being warm & sunny all day.

Dick - your GD sounds like my youngest. She's now 10 but never fails to make me smile with her rambling descriptions of the events of the day. In fact I'm smiling now just thinking about her!

Hope that your other news is of the good variety.

Bob.

• Like 4

Awake since before 6am. Busy morning ahead as it's the Pre School "Graduation" Service (yes, really!) at which I have to do the vote of thanks and present Bibles and teddies to those children who are leaving.

After that we feed the 5,000 (well it is a church Pre School!) with coffee and cakes. This will be one of my last official duties as Chair of the Management Committee as I've resigned with effect from the end of September, mainly as the role is far more onerous than I was led to believe. More importantly, I expect to be in France more often for some reason!!

Very glad to read that Aditi's term has ended happily and wish everyone a good day.

• Like 3

Morning all, another hot day in store.  Good news about Aditi's future!  Put it all behind you now and start to enjoy life again...

Got the worst news possible yesterday…:-)

My golf club has been sold to an Hong Kong investment company.  I just hope they don't ruin a really wonderful place.  Seems as we get older, we like change even less.  

Pass me my comfy slippers….

Good morning all and 'appy 'ump day.  Having skimmed through the  Bachman & module froth, I'm very glad that I left 4mm British outline modeling a long time ago.. I dont think I'd dare post some of my more esoteric stuff for fear of the foray it might ignite! 

Still on the good news front I seemed to have managed to set the Wheel re-inventors squabbling among themselves ....I'm just sitting back (having told my self I must not say "told you") .

What ever you're up to today, try and make the best of it. 

Trev.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

When posting about Alf I forgot to mention that as a young man he was a pole vaulter he would cut a suitable pole from whatever woods he was working in. He competed in the Olypic games which were held in Much Wenlock for many years.

Don

SWMBO's family came from the Much Wenlock area and at one time were the publicans at the Gaskell Arms. 

As a thank you to the olympics founder, William Penny Brookes, was given a pair of candlesticks. I guess after his death they either went to auction or were passed on.

Somehow these now sit on the MiL's mantlepiece. Made for quite a good "show and tell" at school at the time of the 2012 games! 

Andy

• Like 5