The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The point is nobody else has as many variants as the UK.  Alternatively, name one other country outside of the British Isles that uses HO gauge track with a different scale?

Frankly I did not expect one person to defend it...........

Best, Pete.

I haven't.

B

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought ERs was to talk about hernias, vegetables and holidays......

Ok then 

What about greengages - should there be a EU standard greengage  - say 16.5 or18.2mm?

What about Bachmann's 009 announcement - that's Marrow Gauge isn't it?

Ok then 

What about greengages - should there be a EU standard greengage  - say 16.5 or18.2mm?

What about Bachmann's 009 announcement - that's Marrow Gauge isn't it?

:onthequiet:  In the absence of a "groan" button, I have absolutely nothing to add to that...

• RMweb Gold

I've got a railway query and frankly I feel safer posting it here than whatever the (could be scary) appropriate bit of the forum is.

We will be travelling soon on Eurostar to Belgium and joining at Ebbsfleet. We have our piece of paper receipt and the card it was booked with. It isn't permitted to print tickets at home if you have also booked hotel accommodation (as we have) through Eurostar. The machines look like the ones you print pre-booked tickets with at the local cinema. I have pre-booked car parking space and it suggests we turn up an hour before we depart to check in. I won't forget the passports. What I can't work out what happens with luggage. We only intend to take a little case each (airline cabin/carry on size). Does that stay with you or is it taken away for the crossing?

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Great news that, Tony! I'm happy for you both and hope Aditi will never have to do with such jobsworths again.

Funny that you should be going by Eurostar, Tony. We will be doing the same thing on the last leg of our trip to London next Monday.

Meanwhile, kitties are asleep - again:

mobile.201fnssx.jpg

mobile.202o9ofy.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what has happened to Andyram?

I know his house move had temporarily scuppered his internet connection, but it has been a good while now.

I hope they treat you better than us. We booked a school party (60 exchange kids) and 7-8 adults. They put the kids at one end of the train and the adults at the other. They then refused to allow the staff to go through the train to see to the kids - peasants aren't allowed to walk through first class...

The (serious) threat to hit the emergency button worked a treat.

• RMweb Gold

My memory (from about 15 years ago) is that you carry it on, like any other train. But that was embarking at Waterloo.

http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-information/travel-preparation/baggage/baggage-allowances#.U86fMVbv3N4

seems to say that, too.

Thank you. That link was exactly what I was looking for and utterly failed to find! 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Funny that you should be going by Eurostar, Tony. We will be doing the same thing on the last leg of our trip to London next Monday.

We will be on one again returning on Monday!

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

You keep your luggage with you. It is a very great train (biblical reference 1 Kings 10:2), so make sure you are in the correct part of the platform.

Have fun, Bill

The information as well as giving our seat numbers mentions something about "blue" section. Are the platforms colour coded? Do I need to learn the Flemish for "where is the lower class seatage, please"?

• RMweb Premium

I made a bargain on EBay just before dinner, securing a blue 141 and two Silberling coaches. Now I'll need to obtain a few detailing bits, such as chain link couplers, brake lines and photo-etched tread plates. I'm not sure whether it'll be worth sprucing up the coaches' interiors, too, though it would be tempting!

• Like 4

Evening All,

I note, but without trepidation, that the almost unavoidable (on a model railway forum) topic of scale/gauge has reared it's ugly head. I say without trepidation as we are FAR too civilized to descend to name calling (###### is OUT, as is %%%%%, but "son of a hamster" is acceptable.....) My own view, biased and influenced by my theatre work, is that all the accuracy and fidelity in the world is for naught if it doesn't entertain and/or convince. But what do I know? railway modelling is just one of my many hobbies...

I must be odd (no sniggering in the back), but with the exception of buying clothes, I quite enjoy shopping, be it for food, drink, equipment for the kitchen, furniture or electronics. I think, in part, it's the thrill of the chase: diving into a cheapo pound-shop and finding the one amazing-value-for-money item in the entire store, barreling into IKEA and snaffling those items that can get recycled into my workshop or model railway, and so on. And I just love shopping for food (the local butcher has become quite used to my requests for "odd" [i.e. never used by a Swiss housewife] cuts of meat). Unfortunately, although I am a "greate eater of beefe", a decent sized Rib Roast will go for north of CHF100 - so not every day fare. I theoretically could buy my meat in France, but Swiss customs get quite stroppy when you bring in more than your allotted 1 Kg of meat....

Glad to hear things have worked for Aditi, although with all the grief her employers gave her over the past months I would not blame her if she decided - at a critical moment for the college - to up sticks and walk away. I know that I would certainly be tempted to do so if I were in her shoes.

Well, that's all for now off to both hunt for a hound and polish up my Shakespeare. Have a good night.

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Premium

The point is nobody else has as many variants as the UK.  Alternatively, name one other country outside of the British Isles that uses HO gauge track with a different scale?

Best, Pete.

Japan has 1/80th scale on 16.5mm track, representing mostly 3' 6" gauge prototypes.

• RMweb Gold

Well car passed its MOT with flying colours, and running noticeably better due to manufacturers upgrades to the computer system. Not much change out of £400 though.

My car once stayed at the garage overnight for a software upgrade following a service. Either there is more electronic hardware than I thought, or they hadn't allowed enough time at the end of the day for the procedure.

• RMweb Gold

Trisonic

have you seen this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r2-top100-guitar-riffs

the BBC pole for the best guitar riffs...but no BB king??

Baz

I probably don't understand the criteria but a few of the tunes chosen are more memorable for the bass "riffs". However there are rather a lot on that list that aren't likely to find their way onto my iPod. My favourite guitar sounds are more likely to come from Mr N Young or Mr R Thompson.

My car once stayed at the garage overnight for a software upgrade following a service. Either there is more electronic hardware than I thought, or they hadn't allowed enough time at the end of the day for the procedure.

Probably software from Microsoft.

Trisonic

have you seen this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r2-top100-guitar-riffs

the BBC pole for the best guitar riffs...but no BB king??

Baz

Now here is a list that could really cause a few debates!  As Tony says, not many are in my collection.  My list of 100 would include a very short riff from Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple's Concerto for Group and Orchestra (last movement).  Short but very sweet!

Edited by Simon G