The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All!

St Swithin got it wrong this year as its raining...and on my birthday!

Baz

Hi Baz,

Happy Birthday mate!!!

Typical you... umpiring a game on your birthday... me... tomorrow on my birthday, me and the missus are going on an all-day steam hauled train ride... now that's a birthday!!

Motters

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Motters

enjoy the train ride!  My game was eventually called off after sitting watching the rain fall until 2:30!

So a trip out for some tea and a bit of light refreshment methinks...

baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Trust me, Gordon, being in the same list as SM Mike is a bit above being lumped in with the likes of me!

Not quite sure why but as far as receiving that particular message was concerned I reckon you were in a highly privileged position Ian - and the rest of us were the ones left out in teh cold (a PM heading your way).

Well being as no one as (yet) shouted "dont do it Trev"  attached are a couple of pics of my Foot plate days... unfortunately getting married not long after these photos were taken meant that the two foot gauge loco had to go...(it wasnt one of the two shown). 

The knitted  scull cap (bobbleless bobble hat)  got replaced with a enginemans  grease top...or vis -versa , cant rember which now. 

Just found that by being careful I've found away of using a battery powered drill to act a a lathe....more valve gear work to do.  More later, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-80153800-1405784124.jpg

post-4282-0-17548200-1405784155.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well, so far not a lot of thunderbolts and lightning (very very frightening) round this neck of the woods, despite forecasts.  So I went into town this morning and gave my bus pass a bit of an airing.  My experience of the local buses is not great - the first I can use is 09.46 and it almost never comes on time - averages about ten to fifteen minutes late and with the level of road works and congestion in Lancaster at the moment, it manages to lose another ten minutes on the run - so any chance of getting an onward connection to anywhere further afield like Kendal or Blackpool get scuppered as both these connections leave pretty near to the booked arrival time of our bus.

My tame bookseller has bought in a large collection of railway books, and as I have had recently had a clear out of surplus titles and duplicates via the local Car Boot, I have a bit of space for some new titles, much to his delight. 

Got home to find that 30747 had started to rearrange the furniture, so that was the rest of the day scuppered.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

I'm posting this before reading the last two days posts.

Bit of bad news before we set off yesterday morning. Sandy got a phone call to say that one of their ex sixth formers had been on the plane that was downed. He'd been in his second year at Leeds university reading Maths and Finance and was going to study in Australia. She, and all the school, are naturally upset.

Indeed it is for most of them, but I know of at least two counties, Devon and Cheshire, where term ends next Wednesday. Perhaps there are others?

Worcs. is next Tuesday. Back on Sept. 1st as well, I believe.

Edited by Steve Williams

• RMweb Premium

Awful news.  I don't suppose we will ever get to know the truth about that one.

HB Baz - I missed that this morning!

A wet day ends here with mist and fog, but tomorrow looks decent - family fun day at Groudle so we will be busy.  I think I'm on 'stand around in the station and look smart' duties. Standing around will be easy.....the rest, hmmmm.

• Like 5

Sorry Neil, the only ones I have  are those taken at Leighton Buzzard.    After '74 (and marriage) & transfer to the West Country  my involvement with 12" - 1' modeling came to a pretty abrupt end. 

About '72 I acquired a kit of parts for a 1922 built 2' gauge loco, so most weekends were spent working on that & I let others play trains! (I do have a couple of photos of that kit if any ones interested?) 

So heres a few more historic ones...

As to the news today it seems to be all bad?

post-4282-0-17612700-1405801403.jpg

post-4282-0-32487600-1405801432.jpg

post-4282-0-10817600-1405801471.jpg

post-4282-0-99959900-1405801600.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone - it is really appreciated..

What a great bunch of people ERs are! Hopefully i will see some of you at Steam at Swindon, Leeds or Warley NEC!

Baz

• Like 3

Evening all,

Rumbles of thunder off-shore and a few spots of rain are all we've had so far - strong gusts of wind and high humidity suggest we might get our share later.

Pete, 'Stormy Monday' took me right back to the sixties. I was lucky enough to see the Blues Breakers live in the town hall adjacent to Bow flyover. At one point EC broke a string and John McVie stopped to help - John Mayall did 'Parchman Farm' solo with one hand on the Hammond and a harmonica in the other! Raw stuff in its day and I think I've still got the LP in one of my boxes. Later, at college, I bought JM's 'Laurel Canyon Blues' which is also stored somewhere. I have a feeling that they are all lucky to have survived the excesses of the time! Amazing that that memory should be brought back to life on a model railway site.

Gordon, that was indeed an unusual noise - don't often get two radials flying around these parts. Always thought the Cat had a strange beauty and it was no doubt very attractive to an airman in the drink!

Flavio, sounds like you've already lost the battle?

Hope you have all battened down the hatches,

Kind regards until Saturday,

Jock.

Jock,

So far as I know John Mayall is still going strong and still refusing to hire any roadies!

He celebrated his 70th birthday in Liverpool (IIRC) with a concert including Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor a couple or three years ago. When he lived in London (near Porchester Baths) I visited and was taken aback by the surprisingly large “portrait" he painted that was used as the front cover of the “Hard Road” album (with Peter Green) that adorned the wall behind his front door (you see it as the door is opened) it really is startling to see it “in the flesh". John’s a very talented artist.

I believe  he still lives on Laurel Canyon in the Hollywood Hills. Oh, and he is now 80!!!!

Hope for us all yet.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday Barry! I was expecting a bit of stick for going to Scunthorpe........

You might have got some stick if you had gone to Penistone. Edited by 1216 025

Another (more recent one) for Jock.

I was never a huge fan of Gary - but boy, could he play.  On this Peter Green song he has maximo tone to die for (but I still don’t like his voice, RIP, Gary).

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Saw Gary Moore twice in the nineties. .. Once on the BBM tour with Jack Bruce on bass, and a couple of years later at Newcastle city hall (a Truly wonderful venue) with his own band. . . Absolutely brilliant on both occations. So sad to hear of his passing. . . Ballads and Blues one of my  favourites.

• RMweb Gold

I too missed the birthday news,so happy birthday Baz!

I did sing Happy Birthday but fortunately my niece was far enough away not to be scared.

It poured in Kettering while the BBQ cooking was proceeding  but then was really sunny while the eating took place. It was a nice party, I made myself useful taking a few photos and videos and also sorted out Aditi's brother's laptop.

• Like 2

Morning all,

My birthday is here... the day is clear blue skies and sunny with a max of 14 degrees... perfect for a train ride!! Will try to post some photo's tomorrow.

Enjoy your day everyone... I know I will

Motters

• Like 3