The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I'll be sure to be back to the workbench (desk, really) tomorrow as preparations have started for turning that Roco 182 into 182 506 of DB Systemtechnik, and for making 171 005 a fictional heritage loco!

Night all...

Offline for a couple of days as I was down in Leicester for work.  Unfortunately every hotel we normally use for works trips was full due to Uni graduations etc, so ended up staying at the Days Inn at Leicester Forest East Services on the M1.  Not to be recommended!  Firstly I was booked in a smoking room, and cant stand the smell of smoke - and the room did smell!  Next, the room was red-hot all night and so didn't sleep very well.  And the breakfast wasn't up to much.  Driving home was very hot, even with the air con on.  Glad to be back home now fortified by a home-made quiche and then a summer fruit pudding.  Cricket highlights on the TV beckon.....

Well I thought s*d it tonight so done a bit of modelling,  and research.......trying to remember how the valve gear went,

I did  45 years ago make new valve gear pins on my Unimat lathe (it wasnt really happy turning one inch (IIRC) bolts into pins!  So did manage to find a photo of a 20 y.o me on the foot plate.....

If you're of a nervous disposition --- DONT Look! 

I'm still a grumpy  lookin git!  

Still bed time,  night all, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-07127400-1405630671.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Long game tonight due to lost balls (ground surrounded by fields)...

Tomorrow sees me shopping first thing then.. time for some "me" time....

have a great friday..

baz

Edited by Barry O

Evening all,

Helped grandson this afternoon as he broke up the large lumps of concrete which once held six fence posts in place. 25degree heat didn't help and it became obvious that, when I built that fence around 14 years ago, I didn't envisage ever replacing it. Nonetheless, it all went into rubble sacks and is now in the relevant skip at our civic amenity site! I was banned from any lifting : the management was watching closely!

John (CB), I hope that Sandy and you have a great time in Cornwall and that you are as lucky as Joanna and I were with the weather on our recent visit!

Nidge, I had the pleasure of meeting James Hunt after a motorcycle meeting at Brands Hatch (Anglo American Match Races from memory). The late, great Mike Hailwood brought him along to show him 'real racing'! Just as you said, there was rarely much distance between himself and a beautiful girl! How some of those international bikers managed to ride next day after so much drinking and smoking - certainly wouldn't see it these days.

Trev, it must be really frustrating to have to deal with idiots like that - makes you wonder what the customers make of sales staff who are that ignorant of requirements. Stay calm, it will soon be the weekend.

Too tired for much more,so nightcap and sleep in short order,

Hope Friday goes well for you all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Well, that's me finished. Off in the caravan tomorrow. Three nights at Ilfracombe next door to the Tarka Trail, eighteen nights at Marazion and two night at Lydford. Then back for two weeks for Clearing and A level results (I do clearing duty, Sandy's the exams officer for her school) then off for Bank Holiday week to Stoke Gabriel. Back to work on 1st September. Then that's us for the summer. Unless we win the Lottery, that is.

So up to date at work, cooking ham to take with us for tomorrow night's meal, cooking dinner and preparing breakfast to go in the fridge (bacon butties), then loading the van and we'll be off to cooler climes in the morning. Son and GF have bets on what time we say we'll leave to the actual time we'll leave. Just seen the weather warnings so it may be a little damp.

Will b online when we get wifi and can be arsed to do anything.

Have a good holiday John and Sandy, you have earned it.

Laurence

• Like 1

Just been woken up by one enormous thunderstorm, at least its cooled things down a bit.

We had one about 20 miles from here between midnight, and 1.30, it was great watching the pyrotechnics in the moonlight, but wished it had cooled down here. A combination of high temperatures, and painful sciatica has kept me up all night.

Edited by bike2steam

Long game tonight due to lost balls (ground surrounded by fields)...

Tomorrow seems me shopping first thing then.. time for some "me" time....

have a great friday..

baz

Baz, Here’s a trisonic cricket story:

Last time I was over I stayed with a cousin in London - he’d agreed to come with me to the St. Mary the Virgin churchyard in Shenfield to clean our Grandparents and my Parents gravesites.

The graveyard overlooks the pitch that is used by the church school (and the Club Colts) and is separated by a hedge/line of trees from the main ground of Shenfield CC. My Grandfather really loved cricket and was a Life, Vice President of the club.

So we cleaned my folk’s graves first then moved to our Grandparents. Lo and Behold, sitting on his grave right in the middle was a club cricket ball! It’s sitting behind me now on my bookshelf esconced in a small silver cup that I won for pistol shooting and looking very natty!

I did try and find out just who had struck it but it was just out of season, unfortunately and the groundsman had no idea. Maybe he was trying to tell me something? Whatever, I remember we had a nice lunch and a couple of beers in The Rose just down the road from where he had lived.

Anyone going to the Railway Exhibition in Shenfield in a few weeks will see The Rose almost opposite Oliver Road and across Roman Road from the High School.

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

One of those 'funny' nights tonight, in a strange way!

Decided to try out listening to an audiobook in work instead of the radio or my iPod. Chose a book about life after a zombie apocalypse, which is proving quite good by all accounts. Listening to the story on my headphones as the storm hits the southern UK, and we get thunder and lightning here in Bournemouth. Just as the character in the story comes face to face with a zombie while shackled hand and foot, the power goes out in work and throws the place into darkness for a few seconds. I'm not gonna lie, a little bit of poo came out before I managed to separate the sounds from my headphones and the reality of a power cut in work!

Arrived home at 5am, tired after a stressful week and glad the weekend has started, and fancied a beer. Just as I pulled a bottle from the fridge, I stopped and questioned myself - drinking at 5am as the sun is rising, am I an alcoholic? Of course not, I'm just a guy whose just finished work for the week and fancies a beer. But I'm starting drinking as the sun is rising and the day is starting. Argh the moral conflict! So I had a second beer to help me figure out that I'm not an alcoholic and just a hard worker.

Hope you all enjoy your Friday, May the rising of the sun bring you health and happiness.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

The  thunderstorm reported earlier by Phil eventually rumbled over to Kent but another one has just started. In-between storms it has been so warm the ground had completely dried from the earlier rain. Robbie wanted to go out at about 5am to do his garden inspection. He isn't bothered by thunder fortunately.

I think I'm being a chauffeur this morning but only down to the station. Aditi is going to work by train as she is going to a "leaving do" this evening. This is is for a colleague who is leaving to take up a promoted post elsewhere, nothing to do with the recent reorganisation. All those events are next week.

• Like 6

Woken three times in the night.  Twice by the thunderstorm that seemed to pass through and then a smaller second one arrived.  Heavy rain for a while.  Just got back to sleep and the Archie wanted up to go into the garden at 03.30.  Unlike previous times, this one appeared to be for a good sniff round and no ablutions.  I wasn't the best part pleased, but love them both, just the same…:-)

Gresleys Teaks were slow starters and I thought they may not sell, but several have just crept over the £40 mark.  Who on earth thought we'd be paying that sort of money for a coach a few years back.

Edit:  Just heard the news re the Malaysian plane shot down.  Dreadful….

Edited by gordon s

Morning all.

Was very tired yesterday (heat I think) so went to bed early to have a night disturbed by thunderstorms. But it's nice and cool, so out for coffee in the garden.

Nothing in the diary for today, so some modelling (unchimping the WC and some decalling, painting a  cattle wagon and some cows).

May have a bacon buttie for breakfast. See how exciting my life is?

Have a good Friday, everybody.

• Like 8

Good morning all, welcome to POETS day! 

Not a bad night, no storms -  so far  - we had them all day  yesterday.  The seven containers expected  yesterday never got released from the dock....maybe Monday!  

Now lets see what the day will bring us? 

Trev.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I see one of the stories on the main news is about the heat and is full of warning after warning.

Have we really become a nation of such incompetents that we need this?

Grump over.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the BBC

We don't crap our pants.

We have the stiff upper lip.

Except when it gets a little bit warm

Or cold

Or there's a bit snow

Or rain

Or......

Oh, well.....

I’ve just been looking at the weather maps and radar and with hot southerly winds from Spain combining with cool North Westerly winds off the Atlantic the situation looks similar to what you see in Texas and Oklahoma in late Spring.

Brown trousers may be de rigueur over the next couple of days......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I was correct about the good weather ending with the start of the school holidays too.

And there's only 159 days till Christmas.

Bah, humbug.

• Like 1

Morning All,

It is a pleasant morning here, but set to get much too hot later on.  Figures of 36°C are being bandied about, but hopefully it won't reach such dizzy heights.

School holidays don't start for another week in this part of the world. 

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

BoD. ..it never gets too hot on the Durham coast..if it did get warm I would go for a swim in the sea in my youth...that cooled you down.

Strangely enough we had a coolish night,no thunder and its a grey morning. Shopping first then some weathering me thinks.

I was told yesterday that someone suggested (for a bit of a joke) that cricket balls should come with the words "warning this ball is hard and could hurt if it hits you"... Hopefully that won't happen..

Have a great Friday...and try to stay calm!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2