The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Oohhh Falcon...musstt resissttttt

I quite liked the look of Falcon when it came out but I wasn't modelling anything UK and Gordon's one is blue! Kestrel is only ever so slightly anachronistic ...

I'm probably too dim to succeed in business. I think I know how failing to reach reserve works in real auctions but I can't understand how it works with eBay. What happens if someone's high bid is higher than the reserve, is it still pegged to a couple of Pounds (or whatever) above the next lower bid which might keep it below the reserve?

Tony

I think the minimum reserve on ebay is £50, so if an item is bid to £35, reserve not met, entering a bid of £50 or more will break the reserve, rather than just nudging the bid price up a level from £35. Don't make me place a bid on any of Gordon's items to find out! Like Neil, I must try to resist. I don't need any of Gordon's stuff, but that doesn't mean I don't want it all...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Morning all,

Been to see my GP and friend this morning and he has confirmed I do have a hernia! His advice was to be cheeky and if I do go for the kidney removal operation that I mentioned before, I could ask them if they could tack the hernia up while they are in there. Apparently it isn't the type that is likely to strangulate and so is the least of my worries.

That diesel clag shot takes me back to our early Citroen Xantia Turbo Diesels - being a largely retirement zone (God's waiting room!), a lot of our cars were driven slowly round town and so when you took one for test drive, the first time the turbo kicked in, the rear of the car emulated the 'Torrey Canyon'!

Flavio, how did Twelfth Night go (I studied it at 0-level!)  - does the description of Sir Toby fit : 'earthy, crude, jolly, rotund and likes a good drink? More to the point, what is Maria like and what is Mrs iD's opinion of you marrying again?

Not sure what the NHS is becoming, my daughter, who has been a nurse for almost 20 years now, has just been invited to re-apply for her job along with all her colleagues. (Shades of Aditi?). What a disgusting manoeuvre by the private company that is now responsible for their services. Hopefully she will be OK as they have today invited her on a course at Addenbrookes in Cambridge to study the new blood machines - it would appear that staff nurses and sisters are now taking on even more of what used to be the responsibility of doctors! Don't think the system now fits with the ideals of the people who originated it.   

DD, that colour is a tonic, the plants on the floral arch obviously thrive in the Welsh mountain atmosphere!

Hope you all get over the hump successfully,

Kind regards,

Jock.

John (Coombe Barton), you asked me about the lime kiln at Porthleven some time ago - this image was taken from our apartment. It seems to be well preserved but could do with some weeding!

Hope you enjoy your break,

Kind regards,

Jock.

post-21385-0-03519400-1405510553_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-68862400-1405510814_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

What colour would you like your Falcon to be?  I might still be able to help….:-)

Don't ask!

Just in case anyone is interested I can be tempted by anything (vaguely pre mid 60s) that may have run/ been diverted/ undergone testing (or any vaguely plausible excuse) towards the Midlands from London on LMR tracks. I've managed to get examples of steam locos that went that way but a few green diesels have appeared. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

Just in case anyone is interested I can be tempted by anything (vaguely pre mid 60s) that may have run/ been diverted/ undergone testing (or any vaguely plausible excuse) towards the Midlands from London on LMR tracks. I've managed to get examples of steam locos that went that way but a few green diesels have appeared. 

You need a Western and a Hymek then Tony! I've only just discovered thanks to another thread that they could both occasionally be seen in that neck of the woods. You truly do learn something new every day... my problem is that I soon forget most of it!

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Morning all,....

Flavio, how did Twelfth Night go (I studied it at 0-level!)  - does the description of Sir Toby fit : 'earthy, crude, jolly, rotund and likes a good drink? More to the point, what is Maria like and what is Mrs iD's opinion of you marrying again?

To answer your first question: how many ways can you say "I HURT". I wasn't stabbed or slashed during the rehearsal. But, every joint and muscle used... well, to quote Sir Toby "has hurt me and there's the end on it!" I suppose I am very similar to Sir Toby: earthy (but can do sophisticated) crude (but also refined), jolly, rotund (regretfully) and likes a good drink (your round, Jock?)

Morning all,

Been to see my GP and friend this morning and he has confirmed I do have a hernia! His advice was to be cheeky and if I do go for the kidney removal operation that I mentioned before, I could ask them if they could tack the hernia up while they are in there. Apparently it isn't the type that is likely to strangulate and so is the least of my worries.

Jock.

If the surgeons are amenable, it would make sense: you'd only be exposed once to the risks of anaesthesia (whether general or otherwise), your recovery time shouldn't be significantly different and you'd only have one hospitalisation to face.

Not sure what the NHS is becoming...

Unfortunately, and without getting political, the NHS is no longer fit for purpose as the politicians (of all persuasions) have not allowed it (permitted it??? forced it???) to modernise its purpose and role. When the NHS was created (over, we must remember, objections by many doctors), operations and treatments that we now take for granted neither existed nor were even dreamt of. Having medical care free at the point of use is great and very do-able - as long as there are a limited number of treatments and procedures. Nowadays, with modern medical science and technologies a degree of rationing has to be imposed, or society will end up in a similar situation to the Soviet Union at its end - where most of the country's economy supported the Soviet Military (or in this  case - it would be the NHS).

Short of adopting the Swiss model (which probably is not feasable for the UK), in order to survive I think that the NHS needs to do the following: concentrate the limited resources to providing the most possible care for the most people (such as - semi hypothetical example - choosing between spending £X on one cosmetic vanity breast augmentation or spending the same amount on repairing 5 cleft palates); accept that "heroic efforts" are not always appropriate in end-of-life situations, accepting that people should be able to choose how they want to go; and (the hardest thing of all) focus more on prevention. Unfortunately, making the NHS healthy will involve a lot of unpleasantness as vested interests (on both sides of the political divide) will and must be challenged and the questions "what is a healthy Britain" and "what price a healthy Britain" must be answered (I could go on, but then it'd get "political"...)

Not sure what the NHS is becoming, my daughter, who has been a nurse for almost 20 years now, has just been invited to re-apply for her job along with all her colleagues. (Shades of Aditi?). What a disgusting manoeuvre by the private company that is now responsible for their services.

I work in the private sector (pharmaceutical research) and this nonsense about re-applying for your own job is more business b°ll°cks from the US that's been fostered on the business community since the late nineties. I think that it serves three purposes (none of which remotely edifying or useful): 1] it shows investors you are "doing something" to improve (hem-hem) the company, 2] when you have duplicate people for one position (as after a merger or restructuring) you can pretend you are being fair by making every one compete for the positions, when all along you know exactly who you want in the role (jobs-for-the-boys), and 3] it gives the wheel re-inventors and HR Clones something to do to justify their salaries and positions.

I sympathise with your daughter: been there, done that, didn't get the T-Shirt...

Edited by iL Dottore

That diesel clag shot takes me back to our early Citroen Xantia Turbo Diesels - being a largely retirement zone (God's waiting room!), a lot of our cars were driven slowly round town and so when you took one for test drive, the first time the turbo kicked in, the rear of the car emulated the 'Torrey Canyon'!

My Aunt had a Nova Turbo Diesel back in the early 90s.  The one with the 1.5 litre Isuzu engine.  She had had a knee operation, so I got the job of driving the thing from Hampshire to Sussex.  I joined the M3, and in the process of attaining motorway speed on the slip road, I managed to obscure the whole of the motorway with clag!

Upon looking in the mirror to move over, I had a "Bl***y hell - what's all that?!?" moment.  Fortunately, the smoke cleared, and the little car went quite a bit better.  I reckon it had never been given any foot from the day it left the showroom.

'ello all - awoke to 14 and sunny, light breeze and feeling like autumn! Will be getting warmer next few days though, the colder weather we've had is headed Pete's way as he noted. The east coast and south-east will experience some rather significantly lower than normal temperatures. We're still hovering at least 4-5 degrees cooler than our usual average for July. I love it, but there are many who apparently long for blistering heat and high humidity - good thing we're not all alike I suppose ;)

HUMP day means into the office for me and the morning traffic was simply "stupid". I think at least 50% of the crowds that were here for the All-Star game decided to leave for home during the morning commute - talk about daft :jester: traffic to/around the airport was berserk :O

The river has receeded enough that I can once again use the "normal" route to work, so that says something for the flood levels.

I can't find a "Hall" and "Heljan 58" from the same seller on eBay so can't see your stuff Gordon - may be something to do with me being in the US< though I do always look on eBay.co.uk, but nada. Even looking for the items directly doesn't net me anything that appears to be correct - probably "idiot on keyboard" issue <sigh>

Have a HUMP good day everyone

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. 

Popping by and the usual commiserations, sympathies etc to those who are in the wars. 

My eldest passed another diving exam yesterday and is now hearing to "intermediate" level. Really pleased for her as she'd struggled for the last couple of assessments on one particular dive. I have to say I couldn't do any of them myself, so really proud of how she stuck with it through thick and thin. 

I'm busy getting ready for a "Science Day" tomorrow, teaching the infants about buoyancy. I was going to test a few ideas out in the sink but....

The water board have been fitting water meters. 

They sent out a contractor who dug up the pavement, blocked out cars in etc. 

Around mid morning a leaflet came through the door saying that if I shaved off 1 minute from my shower it would save me £120 a year. Just how much they plan to charge me for the water I do use may, by deduction, be completely un-affordable. I am not heading to Sainsbury's to buy champagne in which to bathe! 

Anyway the leaflet also said that they had (tick) fitted a water meter and (tick) completed the work and would not need to return.

I turn on the tap to fill the sink (see above buoyancy testing) and.....nothing.

I then speak to a neighbour whilst we stand looking at the mangled remains of the pavement, workmen's barriers etc. 

"Ohh, no", says she, "they couldn't do your's as it was too deep. They said they were coming back tomorrow to have another go." 

I've now spoken to the water board and asked what the ffffflip is it? Finished and no water meter, finished and no water, not finished and no water...or get them back and finish it pdq!  

• RMweb Gold

The point in the rev range where the turbo cuts in can also have an effect with gentle drivers. We had a Peugeot 306 D Turbo, which had a turbo that cut in like a switch at about 1800 RPM - boof! and off you went. Its replacement was a Citroen ZX Turbo D, theoretically the same 1.9 litre 90 bhp engine, but the turbo delivery was utterly different, started earlier, was much more progressive, nicer in everyday driving.

The saga of Alison my cleaner moves on. Those who have nothing very interesting in their lives will recall that last Thursday she buried her father in Perth, was expecting to return to France on Friday. To date her partner Ben has seen nothing of her - or their 3 kids. I'm truly grateful for knowing nothing more, as he spent a pleasant-enough hour or more here before lunch, returning the car battery charger Sheena had borrowed from me last night as his battery was flat. Apparently it still is. He has been scouring the countryside, visiting in person all those who she knows - including a chap she had a brief fling with some months ago, and who he could only have discovered by hacking her PC, email etc. I don't think he regarded me as a likely bolt-hole - kids aren't me for more than two minutes, thankyou. Ben volunteered the info that Alison had already told me - he has been slashing and burning anything on their property that smacks of the neighbour with whom she was unfaithful, e.g. fruit trees they'd grafted together. But he admits to getting his comeuppance - the tractor with which he was destroying things has had its underhanging oil filter ripped off, including the mount, so that's that. Revenge is truly a dish best served cold....

My lawntractor, OTOH, now has a new battery and will be sallying forth - or even fifth - across the grass shortly!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, haven't posted for the last ten days as events here have overtook us all, my father in law is in a bad way in hospital and his wife is also in hospital albeit a different one.

My father in law (87)has been going down hill with severe heart failure and advanced cancer of the prostrate, he has been looked after at home by mother in law and carers going in, last week she flipped with the stress and was admitted to a psych hospital, my wife then went to look after Dad, he fell ill during the week and was rushed to hospital. The outcome is now  bleak but not unexpected and we are talking days rather weeks with regard to him. Mother in law has flipped completely and god knows what the future holds. Other daughter has flown in from Cyprus (lives there) to try and help not before time in my opinion.

So there you have it in a nutshell, lesson learnt? keep a load of loose change in the car for the unexpected 1.40 in the morning, hospital car park fee £3.00 no change on me, only a £20 note in wallet, machine whilst taking notes does not take £20 notes, nothing open , car park attendant ( via intercom) unsympathetic, result 1 mile walk to atm then back with a £10 note which the machine would accept! Forgot to say hospital atm out of cash!

So I haven't left the forum just a bit occupied at the moment. Must have missed loads so congratulations/commiserations as appropriate.

Be back soon.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back from Morrisons (again) and now getting caught up - Mick, many thanks for your kind words - it has not been a lot of laughs over the last few months.

Am on dinner duty and there is an interesting smell coming from the cooker, so I'd best go and see what it's all about.

Regards to All

Stewart

Only been absent one day, but woke up this morning to no internet connection. I have not read up on missed posts but just posting to let you know I am OK, Computer is OK, but internet connection was not O.K.

Weather cooler, 19C, tomorrow even cooler 15C and you are heading for a heat wave! Enjoy. 

Short of adopting the Swiss model (which probably is not feasable for the UK), in order to survive I think that the NHS needs to do the following: concentrate the limited resources to providing the most possible care for the most people (such as - semi hypothetical example - choosing between spending £X on one cosmetic vanity breast augmentation or spending the same amount on repairing 5 cleft palates); accept that "heroic efforts" are not always appropriate in end-of-life situations, accepting that people should be able to choose how they want to go; and (the hardest thing of all) focus more on prevention. Unfortunately, making the NHS healthy will involve a lot of unpleasantness as vested interests (on both sides of the political divide) will and must be challenged and the questions "what is a healthy Britain" and "what price a healthy Britain" must be answered (I could go on, but then it'd get "political"...)

I had no idea that the NHS performed “cosmetic” surgery; how daft can you get? Especially if cleft palate repairs are losing out (One of my cousins suffered from this, so I take it personally).

I think the great British public needs to  be reminded that the NHS is certainly not “free".

One of the few good things I can say about the Health Insurance cartels in the USA is that they have learnt the hard way that preventative medicine is the way to go. You hardly ever hear of people being  refused Colonoscopies for example and patients never have to wait more than a few days to have one. The NHS certainly lags somewhat behind in this (sending poop through the post is NOT the answer, if the response is positive it is often too late..., it will never catch a small polyp). I realize that I’m teaching you nothing new, F.

Enough of that, trust you feel better, being a fighting Thespian is never fun ask the guys who fought alongside the Spartans at Thermopylae.... :drag:

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

I had no idea that the NHS performed “cosmetic” surgery; how daft can you get? Especially if cleft palate repairs are losing out (One of my cousins suffered from this, so I take it personally).

I think the great British public needs to  be reminded that the NHS is certainly not “free".

Best, Pete.

Unfortunately, and I know that people will disagree with me, but there have been a numbert of instances reported in the press where procedures that most people would classify as cosmetic or elective have been done on the NHS because of "psychological issues". Obviously, one has to assess each case individually, but I (regretfully) have a suspicion that in many of the cases reported in the popular press the underlying "psychological issues" could have been better addressed by non surgical means (if - and I am saying this with my Dr Cynical hat on - if there were true underlying pyschological issues).  But even where there are true medical situations in the future, hard choices WILL have to be made (and not just in the UK). For example, do you allocate resources and funds to providing an incurable alcoholic with a new liver OR do you use the same money to provide individuals who suffer from Hemochromatosis (an inherited disorder that causes the body to absorb and store too much iron) with a new liver? One day, such choices will be unavoidable

John (Coombe Barton), you asked me about the lime kiln at Porthleven some time ago - this image was taken from our apartment. It seems to be well preserved but could do with some weeding!

Hope you enjoy your break,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock - can't normally get that angle

Unfortunately, and I know that people will disagree with me, but there have been a numbert of instances reported in the press where procedures that most people would classify as cosmetic or elective have been done on the NHS because of "psychological issues". Obviously, one has to assess each case individually, but I (regretfully) have a suspicion that in many of the cases reported in the popular press the underlying "psychological issues" could have been better addressed by non surgical means (if - and I am saying this with my Dr Cynical hat on - if there were true underlying pyschological issues). 

Having, during ODA training, seen a number of such cases, and heard the surgeons' wistful remarks on them, I wholeheartedly agree.

I was intrigued, some time ago, by a service offered by a photographer's salon in Whitby; providing glamour portraits of, largely, ordinary local ladies. The window display showed the process starting with an initial mugshot of a pleasant enough female whose expression hinted at low self-esteem. She would be treated to expertly chosen clothes and makeup and instructed in deportment, with the photographer delivering the final image of a confident, attractive woman at her best. I'd like to think that at least a few of these were saved from painful and unnecessary surgery -and even the possibly dispiriting advice to seek conventional psychological help - by these means.

(Apologies if any of my opinions tread on your toes, iD.)

• Like 1