The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, an even earlier riser today as I was up at quarter past 4 in order to drop my elder son and a couple of his schoolmates off at Hall Place (between Bexley and Crayford) for his school trip to Le Touquet. Coach to Folkestone and on to Le Shuttle. They're visiting a snail farm and the hypermarket too - I've told him he needs to keep an eye out for a man in stripey t shirt on a bike selling onions to get the full set iof stereotypical experiences. It was a beautiful morning - there was still some mist from the Cray over the next door park but that cleared as we waited for the coach to depart.

The boys had been told strict departure at 6 and waiting for noone - but as one parent turned up with two boys at just before 5 to 6, they said they'd been to the school (about 5 minutes away) and seen one other boy on his own. (an aside - the letter was clear where pick up was)  At that stage departure was delayed as the teachers were concerned that the boy was on his own (he'd be 11 or 12); no one had his mobile number. So two drove to school to see if they could find him. No sign. They were just getting on the coach to go at 5 past 6 when his Dad screeched up with the boy. All were relieved. At that age you feel sorry for the boy. And as sorry for the boy who couldn't go on the trip because he doesn't have a UK passport and whose parents had neglected to obtain a visa....

Now at work having rewarded myself for the early start with a sausage sandwich - it's a blue skies al the way over Borough Market Junction, and I noticed as I walked down to the stations that the swifts were already out in abundance and flying high - it's going to be warm one!

• Like 5

morning all,bright and clear here,quiet all the way to work,left jack with brio a4 in hand,looked like it was about to pull a very long freight! would have been nice to stay and watch! as for diesels clagging,yes over fueling can be a issue,but its a lot to do with them(as suggested) not being run,cars are the same if only run at idle or very steady for long periods of time,the modern stuff just fulls the soot filters and goes into limp!  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

US diesels, which were ubiquitous while BR was still building steam locos, had in some cases a reputation for heavy smoking. Alco was the prime candidate, with its handsome PA Co-Co diesels being regarded as "honorary steam locos", but any of its locos at rest would smoke when the throttle was opened. Like Robert, I do not recall this from the heyday of early BR diesels.

A gorgeous morning, tee-shirt compatible from 7.30 BST. I must try to jump-start the lawn tractor. If that works then I'll buy a new battery - it is 5 years old, after all. If it doesn't the man will have to take it away and fix it.

Hope midweek is good for you.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Pleasantly warm here this morning. Bin bags out so that is everything done for today, except for retrieving the sandpit from behind the shed. 

Tony

• Like 3

A very good morning to all, and it really is one here at Carshalton sur Wandle.

Off in a bit to see my cousin in Canterbury, the one who's recovering from dementia. Really looking forward to it. We're taking him a hamper of goodies we got in France - foie gras, dessert wine, confit de canard, stuff he loves (he's an ex-chef) and he can't get in Kent!

Car was fixed yesterday - it seems part of the wiring loom had come loose and was making contact with the power steering belt and pulley... fixed that and the noise went away. Alarm still going off in direct sunlight, though.

On the modelling front - chimped up one side of the WC, so that's back in the shed for a rub down and repaint when I get back...

Have a good day, everybody.

Oh - and I forgot to say - for sharp photos - use a tripod and preferably a prime lens of a good make. Long exposure = small aperture = greater depth of focus = stability and no shake.

• Like 4

I don't disagree with anything you say, Dick on photography and try to follow those principles wherever possible, but I do read and hear there is a sweet spot on most lenses and sometimes performance is better away from the optimum smallest aperture.  The secret as far as I can see is finding that setting for each lens.  

Or maybe that's an old wive's tale….

With regard to diesel clag, the 33s and 47s I used to work out of Norwood yard used to simmer in a relatively eco-like manner and maybe chuck out a little grot under load. They were not in the first flush of youth then (mid-late 80s) but they were used hard all of the time. Having been virtually choked to death at this years's NNR diesel gala by very lightly used 25s and 31s, I have to subscribe to the theory that inactivity and light loads causes the clag. At 25mph, they never get a good run which is surely doing them no good. High time we binned all the Sprinters and went back to loco-hauled on the network. Rose-tinted spec mode <off>...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 5

Ah, I never said the smallest aperture!

Most lenses will have a point at which the acuity is greatest, and that won't be wide open or f64. Usually the lens tests in magazines and on-line will tell you where that point is, but it's usually a pretty small difference. Easy enough to find out if you use a test card (are they still available?) and a tripod and run through the apertures. You're looking for sharpness edge-to-edge and no distortion as well. It may be better to use the central portion of the image area and crop rather than fill the frame - it depends.

My recent experience is that prime lenses (in my case Nikkors) have greater sharpness than zooms, especially the ones that come with camera packages.

Remember, though, that if you are making images to show on a screen then the capabilities of the lens for sharpness are many times that of the screen. Or printer, even.

Testing lenses:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/lens_sharpness.html

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Heavy showers on Fraggle Rock.

The clagging diesels - that Hymek looks pretty mucky, yes!  There's a few things there, as Martin and LBM have said working  at low power mucks things up as they don't get hot enough to burn off part burnt fuel deposits, then the injectors get dirty which makes it worse, then the turbo gets mucky too and slow to spool up, resulting in over fuelling until it catches up (that's why ALCo's smoke, Ian - slow turbo pick-up, or 'lag') and there we go.  It doesn't do them any good at all.

Back to the live steamers, they don't unfortunately have the coal smell as mine are gas fired, but you do get the comforting (to me!) smell of hot oil.

post-10195-0-22046000-1405498235_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I think we're getting somewhere with the photography theme. Gordon's remark about lenses not being optimal at tiny apertures is borne out by something called diffraction, which sets in about f11 and smaller on APS-C sensors, I think. Dick is spot on about primes. A quick look at something like http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings shows that on their tests the highest placed zoom comes in at about #106! Primes can be boring for out-and-about snapping, which is why we all want zooms, but the compromises in quality are always gonna be there. Again, ISTR Chris Nevard used a manual focus 55mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor to very good effect on his D200.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, still in pain I am going to try walking and other excercise today to free things up. A bright sunny day the black bin emptied and hopefully its flies gone with it's load. Chesterfield is doing it's best to annoy as many motorists as possible, if there is a serious accident on the M1 then gridlock may spread as far as Sheffield. Happy hump day!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright & sunny so far and will probably stay hot as it's swan upping day round here (if they can find any - piece in the DT yesterday said the number of swans has declined quite seriously and its a bad year for cygnets due to the flooding; they didn't mention the fact that the river has increasingly become a 'leisure amenity' over the years which can't have helped the swans one bit).

So a bit of last minute shopping for fresh bread - while we can get it, Tesco are closing their bakery according to the local 'paper and the one remaining local bakery is mainly into snacks and cakes although they will open a mortgage for you if you need a loaf.

Have a good day folks (and a 'Grange' & a 'Hall' going on Ebay - and from a good home)

• Like 5

The Grange has gone to a fellow RMWeb member, but the Hall is still going.  Lots of interest and several bidders for this DCC decoder fitted version, but bids just £23 at present.  It will either be a last minute rush or someone will get a bargain...

Seems there is a shortage of Heljan 58's with silly prices being quoted.  Not mine, I hasten to add…:-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another sunny start and will be a very warm day.

What is not so good is that yesterday I had to get an emergency appointment with the doctor due to a flare up of an old ongoing problem. Now on two lots of antibiotics and hoping that a hospital visit will not be required. Couldn't get to see my usual doctor but the young lady I did see almost made the visit a pleasure. I may take her up on her offer to go back to her if things don't improve in 4/5 days! (Or even if they do) :whistle: 

Gordon - I'm watching the Hall but haven't bid - yet - but I'm very tempted. :yes: 

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

The Grange has gone to a fellow RMWeb member, but the Hall is still going.  Lots of interest and several bidders for this DCC decoder fitted version, but bids just £23 at present.  It will either be a last minute rush or someone will get a bargain...

Seems there is a shortage of Heljan 58's with silly prices being quoted.  Not mine, I hasten to add…:-)

The 'Hall' is a real bargain at that price, I paid £40 for mine (same model) as a split from an auction lot so I won't be bidding (there's the chance for GDB ;) )

• Like 2