The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Sounds painful I'm sure if yiu see your GP he will give you something to prevent it happening again.

Me? I went for a longish walk and since then have been cutting sleepers.

• RMweb Gold

I wish it had been guitar playing. After my search for documents necessary to trade in my Scenic, I thought I'd better dispose of all the paper I no longer needed. I'm not sure why I had a file of MoT and insurance certificates for cars that I no longer own and probably have been recycled anyway.

Tony

Nearly 3 O'clock in the morning - what am I doing still up? Answer - it's hand in day today and I still haven't finished my essay!

But it's a very special hand in day - it's the last one of my four year degree! :D B)

So to celebrate the event, I decided - what the hell, one last time at the last minute... :lol:

That's my story, I'm sticking to it...

Fingers crossed for the best result possible! :)

Well done Simon. and welcome to Early Risers. However, as all the University work has been done, I expect you will neither be up so late nor rising early in future. Good luck with the job hunt.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I think the best weather description here is "overcast".

I thought Matthew would be at home this week but he is off to college for revision sessions today. Apart from the bank holiday this is a normal week at the college where my wife works. I suspect I shall have a visit to a supermarket at some time during the day.

Tony

Morning All,

It is around 6-7 Oktas here this morning - the sun is currently showing signs of trying to break through the cloud.

Today looks like it is going to be quite a busy day, but I have got two days off to look forward to. Overtime tomorrow to look after the little guy because the Kindergarten is closed, and a Bank Holiday on Thursday. Then there's a short Friday before the weekend.

Good luck with the essay Simon - and indeed with the final result. Ahhh - Uni - that brings back some good memories! Hard work though!

Have a good day everyone...

Three weeks to our mid-winter but we have had lovey weather since Saturday. Clear skys, though nippy in the mornings, but today promises 26C. However rain on Thursday. :(

A lovely red sky sunrise right now! :)

• RMweb Gold

Morning, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah 8hrs of relaxation before it all starts again. 33.5 hrs worked and 746 miles driven over the long weekend, glad the first bit's over. New toys will arrive this week sometime in the shape of a new Fender amp and a Bad Monkey to go with my Big M u ff. That's the job Simon needs to go for after his degree - thinking up names for guitar effects pedals for 40 grand a year.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, another day's underpaid tedium in Government service beckons (no I'm NOT one of the 171 who receive - I'll not say "earn" - more than CallmeDave!)

Phil, what's a Big M u ff? No schoolboy humour intended, I'm genuinely interested, it's just that I have a track with that title on one of my John Martyn albums.

Nice to see the MHR have themselves a Standard tank at last - and a former SR loco too :good_mini:!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Full set of oktas currently threatening leakage. No phone calls or meetings in the diary so it's most definitely a work at home day.

Cheers

Dave

Guest Max Stafford

I really must make some time to start playing my two lovely guitars too, but I seem to spend every waking, non-working/dogwalking/washing/cooking/eating moment in the shed at the moment. It's as if I'm racing some clock in order to get my favourite projects done before I fall off the perch!

I need to acquire a bass amp and a multi-effects pedal too. I'm fond of the old 1960s 'garage' guitar sound, so I wonder if that should influence my choice of pedal?

Anyway a rather wet morning here today. Time for a wash, breakfast and walk for Abi, who's not making much effort to get out of bed yet!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Phil, what's a Big M u ff? No schoolboy humour intended, I'm genuinely interested, it's just that I have a track with that title on one of my John Martyn albums.

Nice to see the MHR have themselves a Standard tank at last - and a former SR loco too :good_mini:!

Colin an Electro Harmonix BM is a distortion / sustain pedal that's been around for years. The best ones to get are, believe it or not, vintage Russian made ones which were made from ex military bits so rumour has it. They go for a lot of money now - mine's a US made one, still quite expensive. Everybody's had one on their pedalboard, Hendrix, Santana, etc. BMs are an integral part of the David Gilmour sound (apart from his talent) which is the sort of sound I want to recreate. Although he has a custom pedalboard with a million pedals on it (he has big feet...) allegedly you can get a passable representation of his sound with Delay>Overdrive(Bad Monkey)>BigMu ff. That's the plan anyway.

As far as the Standard tank is concerned we swopped one pile of rust (the turntable) for another (the tank). According to Chambers (our MD) it's going to be out in 2018 which means I don't think I'll get a go on it as I will have given up driving well by then. The plan is to have 76017, 75069 and 80150 all running at the same time at least for a couple of years.

• RMweb Premium

Morning ERs

Didn't manage to get on over the Bank Holiday due to problems with the computer - got a Windows update then some updates for the printer, and for some reason they froze up the hard drive, and I had to get back to a restore point and to try again - luckily I'm back in action now.

Rainy here - in fact, chucking it down - and to add insult to injury, I didn't get any layout planning done over the weekend because of "priorities" like clearing the garage, and the garden.

Tomorrow, even if it is raining, will be at Lancaster station for 08.00 to see the departure of the first Fellsman of the season, which is apparently booked for Scots Guardsman (according to my contact) - probably wind up with 48151 instead knowing my luck!

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Aaarggghhh - a list.

I knew I wouldn't survive the week without one. Never mind, there is something mind-numbingly boring about decorating that makes it quite relaxing and therapeutic, provided that you have the right music playing.

Fortunately I am at school for the next two days doing some revising with my exam classes, so the list has been kept resonably short.

• RMweb Gold

I'm just back from taking Robbie across the fields. There isn't anywhere to swim on this walk but he is very wet as am I (except for the Goretex covered areas). I made the mistake of waiting for it to "brighten up" a bit but it just got wetter. Robbie expected to go in the car but doesn't seem to recognise the new one as "his" so he didn't seem too upset when I walked him straight past it. I'm hoping that by the time the dog transport box arrives he will be so desperate for a ride he'll just jump in.

Never mind, there is something mind-numbingly boring about decorating that makes it quite relaxing and therapeutic, provided that you have the right music playing.

Once I get started I'm usually resigned to the task but it is difficult to get started. The best bit is finishing the job. My mother in law asked what Matthew will be doing after his A level exams have finished. We explained he will be helping me with some decorating but starting off with putting wood treatment on the sheds. MiL explained to Matthew that this was a really interesting job and he would enjoy helping. Fortunately before he said anything (he remembers some of the "interesting" jobs she has asked him to help with in the past!) I explained that actually all the things I wanted his help with were not exciting jobs but as he was helping we would get them done more quickly. I did say he could choose the music though!

Tony

Evening all! Bit late posting today (and missed out due to lists over the Bank Holiday weekend)...

Enjoyed listening to the cricket while working my way through the lists over the weekend.

I don't have a Big M u ff but do have an almost unfathomably complicated Zoom 2020 pedal bought second hand from a friend. Anyone good at teaching idiot level classes to help me use it?

• RMweb Gold

Evening all! Bit late posting today (and missed out due to lists over the Bank Holiday weekend)...

Enjoyed listening to the cricket while working my way through the lists over the weekend.

I don't have a Big M u ff but do have an almost unfathomably complicated Zoom 2020 pedal bought second hand from a friend. Anyone good at teaching idiot level classes to help me use it?

It wouldn't be me. I'm at a much less advanced stage of guitar as my right hand stops when I move my left hand. I'd happily replace the bit of my brain that understands what Big Muffs (or any fuzzbox) do in order to be able to play an instrument well enough to use one!

Tony

Mrs S and I took my mother over to a potential retirement home for her. A collection of private bungalows and apartments with a central lounge area/restaurant etc. The manager of the whole place showed us round and Mum was quite taken with a bungalow. The had invited to stay for lunch and of course that seemed a good idea to see how the place functioned.

Big mistake!

Hadn't occured to me, but all those having lunch in the restaurant were those who were unable to go out or chose not to cook for themselves. 12.30 and the doors opened and you couldn't move for zimmer frames, wheelchairs and sticks...biggrin.gif

Lunch was very pleasant but my mother decided at 87, she wasn't ready join the old folks, most of whom were younger than her.

It was all going so well up to then as well.

Back to the drawing board...