The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I'm sure Debs would have had some similar comments!

I thought as I postied, a tribute to her <sigh>. Even though I'm new here and didn't really know her that well, I miss her, here's hoping she can make a return soon

Loco update. The Garratt that was despatched on Friday was replaced and successfully arrived this morning. I fitted a decoder, programmed a number change and it works perfectly. 

Aditi update. The meeting she went to did explain all the terms and conditions of the reorganisation. The new job (she is interested) is described as competitive but ring-fenced to the team Aditi is a member of. Letters of interest with CV need to be in on Monday, with interviews soon after. No job description yet though!

I'm going to take Robbie for a walk, can't cope with any more excitement today.

Tony

The old adage about keeping your friends close but your enemies closer springs to mind

Laurence

• RMweb Gold

Chiropractors? I think I've posted my MiL's concerns - she being a physiotherapist, of course, and very cynical about their role - before. But Jock's experience adds value. I think many, many people go to a chiropractor and get a good result. The problem is that they are not qualified to carry out a full diagnosis, and merely treat the apparent symptoms, as self-diagnosed by the patient, who may well be in considerable discomfort. Often that's just the ticket, sometimes not, as in Jock's case. But then we all know of cases where a GP mis-diagnoses symptoms, and at best time is lost.

Those with not much in their lives may recall I had a blood test on Friday. The results, as usual, arrived in my mail on Saturday, although I'd left before the postman called. Rather usefully the results show the value for each analysis, the normal range for that, and what I recorded last time - October 2012. Delighted to see everything within norm - but the best of all is that my PSA, which can be an indicator of prostate trouble, and which had been marginally outside the norm in 2012, is now much lower and well within it - it's dropped from 4.1 to 2. Normal is <3.9.

Sherry has been making herself useful dead-heading flowers, while I was working on the recalcitrant lawn-tractor. That is now charging its battery, and while I'm here talking to you, Sherry is ironing  a duvet cover. Since she says she hardly bothers with ironing those at home - it must be love! Yes, that is a smug look on my face..... 

• Like 10

Evening All,

On the subject of housing, by Swiss standards our house is pretty old. Outside the towns it was pretty much all countryside until the post WWII building boom and there are people still living that can still remember the villages of Aesch, Reinach, Therwill as still being that - villages. Our house was built in the 50's, almost as old as me :O. When we bought it in the mid nineties we had to have the house inspected (electrical wiring, plumbing, etc.) by the Bau Polizei. The only thing that got a thumbs down was my Heath Robinson attempt at rigging up an additional ceiling light in the house's air raid shelter (now my workshop/back cellar), otherwise the wiring and plumbing got the OK (it must be said that the original wiring, which I had to replace in certain areas only because it couldn't handle the amps needed for modern demands, was pretty good stuff: solid copper [not copper strand]). The Swiss have some pretty stiff building and zoning codes. Mrs iD's father is a civil engineer and from accompanying her father to building sites SWMBO knows all about building buildings, bridges, viaducts and tunnels. So when we were in the US and she saw for the first time how they build suburban housing there, she was amazed. One of her kinder comments was "how do they expect it to last?" Her (professional?) opinion on UK housing stock is mixed, some of the housing stock is speculator's rubbish (including, surprisingly, quite a few Georgian Terrace Houses which were banged together to make the investors a quick few quid and which, almost against the odds, have lasted centuries) others are "well built" (basically a Swiss euphemism for "you'll have to blow it up with gelignite to bring that down")

I got approval from Mrs iD for an early Christmas present. I can't stand those ghastly orthopedic/"old folks" walking sticks, mine have always been elegant (including one Art-Deco cane in silver chased aluminium) so whilst looking for a replacement for my walking stick, I came across a website for a walking stick maker who could both make me a replica of Charles Darwin's Walking Cane (see: http://www.wilsonwalkingsticks.com/specialthemes.htm and scroll down) as well as make a Dog's Head Walking Stick (with a Derby Handle) with Schotty providing the Dog's Head - that is being being the model for the head (see: http://www.wilsonwalkingsticks.com/paws.htm). I got approval from Mrs iD and placed my order. All being well, I'll get the walking sticks just before Christmas (good things are worth waiting for). And all at a very reasonable cost. Not only will I have a good solid and elegant hardwood cane to aid me if I stumble, but I will also have near perfect riposte to any stroppy yoof who gives me any grief ( and I know enough anatomy to make it hurt!)

Anyway, off to feed Mrs iD (grilled lamb niblets and salad) and the HM (minced offal and rice). So don't wait up...

Have a great evening.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hello, hello - it's good to be back and apologies for a prolonged absence.

It's not been at all easy here over the last few months, and I really didn't want to share anything until I knew for sure what was going to happen.  Suffice to say that a disagreement with a manager at my (now) former employer resulted in my becoming one of the millions, and I have finally managed to sort out the best options for an early retirement.  I managed today to get the paperwork completed to become a pensioner at last - a year or so earlier than I had planned, but hey-ho, that's life.

Geoff (Ohmisterporter) has updated me on Aditi's work related problems, and also of the news that Ian and Sherry are an item, and will wed - well done to you both.  It would take too long to read all the posts on here - by a long way, so I just offer a generic greeting, commiserations, congratulations, etc to everybody posting here

I promise to try to visit a bit more often now that I can see that the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT a Class 66 coming towards me.

Kindest regards to all

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Sherry has been making herself useful dead-heading flowers, while I was working on the recalcitrant lawn-tractor. That is now charging its battery, and while I'm here talking to you, Sherry is ironing  a duvet cover. Since she says she hardly bothers with ironing those at home - it must be love! Yes, that is a smug look on my face..... 

As a reward for her labours, Cinderella is now on her break and has been allowed to play on the laptop whilst sipping a Cointreau as an aperitif! Earlier, she turned out three drawers (not hers!), which was a revealing experience........ Meanwhile, himself is now sitting on the other sofa, sipping a glass of wine, recovering from a strenuous hour of catching up on RMweb; it's his turn to cook dinner this evening!

• Like 16

So when we were in the US and she saw for the first time how they build suburban housing there, she was amazed. One of her kinder comments was "how do they expect it to last?"

That comment is based on a false premise - that a majority of North American houses are meant to last. Around here, they're only meant to last until it's profitable to knock them down and build something newer.

We live on the edge of a neighbourhood which contains a nice mix of houses varying in age from about 110 years old to 5 years old. Newer houses fitted in with the overall 'feel' of the area. About 5 years ago, it was announced that a rapid transit line to the area, which had been proposed for several years, was definitely going ahead. Since then, several perfectly useful houses in the area have been knocked down and "monster homes" (to the limit of the building regulations) built on the lots. One is so gross that's it's been labelled 'The Horror on Hope Street'.

The trend is accelerating. A developer has made an offer on a small 20 year old development of 6 houses and a slightly larger, adjacent development of maybe 15 houses that's about 10 years old. If successful, he wants to knock everything down and rebuild with higher density.

And the more desirable parts of the actual city of Vancouver are just ridiculous. What can you say about someone buying a house for $3M, then knocking it down to build something more to their own taste?

So - longevity is not necessarily an important attribute in North American house design and construction.

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

As a reward for her labours, Cinderella is now on her break and has been allowed to play on the laptop whilst sipping a Cointreau as an aperitif! Earlier, she turned out three drawers (not hers!), which was a revealing experience........ Meanwhile, himself is now sitting on the other sofa, sipping a glass of wine, recovering from a strenuous hour of catching up on RMweb; it's his turn to cook dinner this evening!

Whilst Ian enjoyed a Sherry

I'll get my coat.....

Evening All, So when we were in the US and she saw for the first time how they build suburban housing there, she was amazed. One of her kinder comments was "how do they expect it to last?" Her (professional?) opinion on UK housing stock is mixed, some of the housing stock is speculator's rubbish (including, surprisingly, quite a few Georgian Terrace Houses which were banged together to make the investors a quick few quid and which, almost against the odds, have lasted centuries) others are "well built" (basically a Swiss euphemism for "you'll have to blow it up with gelignite to bring that down")

Have a great evening.

An earthquake’d do it.

We have pre-1776 houses in our town that still have cannon balls imbedded in their weak wood framed walls from the Revolutionary War. These wood framed houses roll with earthquakes.

Our town has building codes that run to about 6 volumes. Amazingly Americans do have building codes - one thing they are not is totally stupid.

But then you knew that?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening again

Went to the Tal-y-llyn today, got a bonus loco as No. 4 failed with square axleboxes on the trailing truck so No. 6 took us back.  I was happy about that as I had never ridden behind 'Douglas'.  Appropriate, I thought.  Douglas being the current capital of Fraggle Rock.

RAF buzzing the joint again earlier, actually saw the shadow of the fighter cross the field behind, then he was too low to see over the trees.  Not full blast though, didn't sound like afterburners were on.

Going to visit Jodrell Bank tomorrow (going to VISIT I said!!) to improve myself, still don't understand how the Lovell telescope can see in daylight. (joke, in case you don't get NHN humour).  I think it used to rotate using old front bogie wheels fron GWR Castle class locos, but I understand these have now worn out and been replaced by something more modern.  Then home on Friday, laundry for two days then I suppose.  Another (ex) colleague takes early retirement on the 18th, our Sergeant, Rosie.  Rats deserting.....

• Like 8

An earthquake’d do it.

We have pre-1776 houses in our town that still have cannon balls imbedded in their weak wood framed walls from the Revolutionary War. These wood framed houses roll with earthquakes.

Our town has building codes that run to about 6 volumes. Amazingly Americans do have building codes - one thing they are not is totally stupid.

But then you knew that?

Best, Pete.

I presume, Pete, that was a rhetorical question.

As pH pointed out a lot of modern housing stock is not built to last and it would appear that the building ethos has changed over the past decades. You can certainly see that in many European cities, the closer you get to the old centre the more robust and "solid" the buildings become. And it's as true in Switzerland as in any other place. I don't expect our 1950s brick, steel and concrete suburban house to last as long as our friends' 300 year old wooden frame and construction farmhouse. Mrs iD's comment derived from the fact that when you are used to building regulations favoring brick, steel and concrete, to encounter a house being made out of a timber frame, sheet rock, plaster board and cladding does naturally make one wonder how long the building will last. Interestingly enough, when I was in Grad school I lived in a 1930s apartment block in Richmond VA and the building I was in was built like a fortress and you couldn't hear the neighbors unless they (and I) had the windows open, yet in the brand new (1980 built) apartment I moved to everything seemed flimsy in comparison and I could hear every movement the neighbors made..

My comment about speculator's rubbish was primarily in reference to some of the Georgian housing stock that has lasted. In researching for the Georgian Terrace houses I scratchbuilt, I did an awful lot of reading and found out some very interesting things. One of which was that in London in the Georgian era, housing stock was often built on leased ground (most often a 99 year lease) and often using second quality bricks which were then hidden by the plaster facade finished to look like expensive stone cladding. They werent expected to last (it's amazing how much has). Another interesting fact I learnt was that investing in speculative property was one of the few ways a successful, prosperous and sensible Courtesan could invest her earnings.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

just taken ages to catch up.. and I was only away for a day!

So .. long day umpiring at St Peter's School York... Yorkshire Schools U19s v Lancashire schools(?) U19s. A great game and Yorks ended up (after 98.3 overs) winners...

Sun burnt and well fed so a great day!

Perhaps England could do with a spinner in the Test Team... "there aren't any"... so who took a four for today at Headingley ... oh that would be Adil Rashid - a leg spinner...   humph.

Bad news.. an old work colleague has included me in a bid to re work a load of process documentation for a major company ... I may have to..... work to a schedule again!  shock... horror....... I wait and see...

Any roads up enjoy the rest of Wednesday and let thursday be a good one for everyone!

baz

• Like 1

Evening all,

A very short post tonight as incredibly, I have reached 67 years of age this very day! This time last year, I had no idea whether that would be possible and so when asked 'what do you most want for your birthday?' I've replied 'another one'!

The fingers are a bit like thumbs thanks possibly due to the several empties of 'Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top' bottles standing in the kitchen - the family know my palate and that is my favourite bubbly of the moment! I also received a couple of bottles of good Rioja and a lovely old Chateauneuf du Pape, so that lot should keep me going till the weekend!

Oncology appointment tomorrow so I hope to have an update on scan results etc. then.

Sleep well,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and a very Happy Birthday to Jock,

Bit of a dull start here, there is a hint of blue sky in the distance but  a mainly cloudy day is in prospect.

Nothing much scheduled today apart from domestic stuff.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Good morning all, 

An interesting day yesterday, the Multi-national I work for has decreed that as part of its "Corporate Social Responsibility"   that all members of staff 'volunteer'  to do some work in the community, seems that my team has been delegated to do some work in some local orphanages.  So yesterday afternoon we went to look at a couple.  Well looks like I'll be doing a bit of block laying (to put a wall around a sand pit) supervising some painting & overseeing some refurbishment of the kitchen roof. 

Oh well makes a change to my normal job, 

have the best day you can, 

Trev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations Jock.  When every wake-up is a step another birthday is a milestone to truly celebrate.  May there be many more for you yet.

Morning all.  Near-freezing wet weather continues unabated.  In the past hour a torrential downpour definitely include some semi-solid particles.  The cat has the right attitude : half-raise one eyelid, assess the conditions and restore eyelid to closed position while enjoying a nice warm blanket :D

• Like 4

I had written a whole post which just disappeared!

I am not going to repeat it so here is today's weather; Clear, Sunny but still cold at a midday max of 18C

As Ian Abel says, - good for sleeping!

Happy Thursday all.