The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I've been catching up and if I forgot to like / agree / inform / disagree / groan at your post, sorry, there's so much activity here now it takes an age to catch up if you miss a day or two.

Lovely and sunny at the moment although the forecast is "Severe Weather Warning" - heavy rain. This will probably change to "Sun" such is the way of the weather, I'm not sure the forecasts are any more accurate than when black dots were used for rain.

We are getting some bookcases delivered from Ikea later - for my railway books, so at last I can get them organised and in a couple of weeks I'm back up in Birkenhead, attempting to get the rest of my collection brought down - but we will see if it fits - so I will finally have all my books around me again.

My shoulder is definitely heading towards that "impingement" mentioned a week or two back, it's very sore at times and aches in the evening, perhaps the GP needs a visit, but being a bloke I will probably wait for my arm to fall off before I go.

The last couple of months have seen several of my long term fillings fall out - another one has crumbled today, more expense.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Another brief visit, because of course I have the very finest of company, who says "Morning all!" herself!

Anyway, it looks as though Trisonic Pete gets the cigar, maybe others deserve one too, because this is GT40 chassis # 111, which was indeed used in the 1965 Targa Florio in open form as built. The guy sitting in it while it was waiting to go for fuel was of course the mechanic  - but he clearly revels in maintaining it, and we had a nice chat. It ran very creditably all weekend.

While I was aware of the Targa Florio before 1965, it was that year's edition that had colour pics in the first copy of Motor Sport I bought in September of that year. Nino Vaccarella driving the winning Ferrari 275P2 through Collesano, with "Forza Nino!" painted on the road by the patriotic locals (Vaccarella was a schoolmaster in Palermo) was a very formative image in my 16-y-o mind. I speak no Italian, but a few years back at scrutineering for Le Mans, I saw Rinaldo "Dindo" Capello heading off to the drivers' briefing, so shouted "Forza Dindo" and he laughed out loud. Sportscar drivers are seldom up themselves.

Sherry and I will be lunching shortly, hope to have a bit of a walk this afternoon. I expect you will hear more from us at some stage.

That was brief ???

• RMweb Gold

Aditi rang home to let me know she is off the "at risk" redundancy list. Aditi said the HR manager rang her and actually managed to sound pleasant and even told her that they were basically "following orders". Aditi refrained from the usual response to that! I suppose they could re-organise the whole department into redundancy but it is no longer "personal"! Aditi asked me to thank all of the ERs for their support and advice. She was and is very grateful. As am I.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Aditi rang home to let me know she is off the "at risk" redundancy list. Aditi said the HR manager rang her and actually managed to sound pleasant and even told her that they were basically "following orders". Aditi refrained from the usual response to that! I suppose they could re-organise the whole department into redundancy but it is no longer "personal"! Aditi asked me to thank all of the ERs for their support and advice. She was and is very grateful. As am I.

Tony

Lovely news for you both Tony (but especially for herself of course).  Always a risk that genuine redundancy could occur and little that can be done about that but I am really pleased to hear that the bullying and hectoring would seem to have been stamped on.

• RMweb Gold

Very good news Tony, has she told them about her next 5 year plan?

The new Principal only started on July 1st so perhaps Aditi is letting her settle in first. Though it may be interesting anyway as everyone in the team that Aditi is in apart from her and one other colleague (still has a mortgage!) have applied for voluntary redundancy. Allegedly the applications have been refused.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Tony

I am pleased to learn that it did, in the end, work out well for you both.

And from what you have described, although a very serious matter, it would appear that the whole affair has played out like a farce. And one of such gargantuan buffoonery and incompetence, that the Carry On Filmakers and The Marx Brothers would have found the very premise an improbable fiction.

May I (slightly tongue-in-cheek) remind of you of Khan's (Ricardo Montalban) words in Wrath of Khan? Revenge is a dish best served cold...

iD

• Like 2

Here are the beautiful young lasses:

http://www.grenzenlose-hundehilfe.de/sunny2.htm - the Kangal mix

http://www.grenzenlose-hundehilfe.de/iris.htm - the Swiss Sennenhund

Mrs iD and I really must be crazy to even consider them, as they are LARGE dogs However, not only do they look adorable, but the body language and facial expressions seen in the photos suggest good natured dogs

Both are beautiful, but if I have to choose (if we were to go ahead with adoption) Iris would get my vote (although the deciding indvidual will be the HM)

You can use Google translate to read the pages in English

iD

Both those puppies (well, you know what I mean) look adorable - I'd love either of them! Our first dog was a large breed, Alaskan Malamute, he was the gentlest guy you could meet, unless you threatened either of us, of course, then you may be missing a limb! We lost our last dog in Novemeber, and Mrs has decided we're too old to have another <sigh>

...Yesterday's luncheon main course was Bobotie (a South African curry dish made with mince meat)...

Mmmm, we discovered Bobotie whilst exploring world cuisines with a group of friends years ago. Mrs makes a delighful example of the dish (no idea how truly authentic is is, never having been to SA) and it's a favourite with us and the kids...

Lovely day today, 18 clear and sunny and the humidity has dropped to the "excellent" level. We had another round of thunderstorms and rain last evening/night but water levels are slowly dropping from the various flood stages.

Received my latest eBay purchase yesterday. Three brand new Bachmann coaches - 1 x SR Bulleid 2nd Corr., 1 x BR/SR MK1 SK 2nd., 1 x BR/Maroon RMB Buffet - they don't even look like the've ever been out of the boxes, the close couplers and "bits" for the Bulleid all still in their plastic bags taped in the box. Paid 32 quid for the lot, which I think is a steal??? First "new" Bachmann coaches I've got, they are brilliant in their detail, I may need LOTS more, and sell of my Hornby ones :jester:

Have a great day everyone, especially those that can choose their weekday daily activities

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Don, I used to be allergic to liver. Well, to be honest most people who ate the liver that my mum cooked would claim that.

She used to start cooking it as soon as we went to school and it was just about ready by lunchtime; grey, case-hardened and crumbly on the inside. Served as a whole lobe, not sliced. 

Mince, her other dish de désastre, was cooked till grey in colour and served with rings of transparent onion, the palest "gravy" and drops of oily fat floating on the surface.

In fairness she did a delicious quiche lorraine.

Enjoy your evening meals everyone. :jester:  

Ed

I have managed for 60 years without a serviette ring, I may need one in the next 39, but doubt if I'll be bothered if I mis-place it....

Well done that man! Napkin rings are for those poor people who don't have the linen to change the napkin at each meal, nor have the staff to wash them..... :O

... Flavio- get them both, you know you want to!

Ed

I would dearly love to, but - alas - introducing a new dog into a doggie household is a complicated and long procedure, if you want canine harmony and friendship to emerge. Two of them? probably three times the work!

So unless I suddenly manage to acquire enough money to allow me to retire now and dedicate myself to railway modelling, cooking and dogs, I'll probably have to pass up on one, if not both, of these lovely ladies...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon(ish) all.

Very happy to hear this, Tony! I do hope they'll think twice before ever pulling off some similar kind of stunt again...

Overcast and thundery around here. Ran into a thunder-boomer with some major downpour on the drive to work this morning and a new thunder cell is moving in as I type.

• RMweb Premium

Great News but suggest Aditi continues to keep a diary f events as you never know what might happen next..

Supposedly raining but seems like the sea weed isn't working for the leeds weathermen...

• RMweb Gold

Great News but suggest Aditi continues to keep a diary f events as you never know what might happen next..

Aditi almost certainly will as other people are in the same position still. She was mildly amused that the HR person was acting as if she wanted to be Aditi's "new best friend". I'm glad it is sorted for the moment as it has been making Aditi a tad tetchy which is quite out of character. Last night she was grumpy that Matthew didn't respond to her Whatsapp messages. I headed this off at the pass by muttering something about wi-fi access and that she should ask direct questions as I do. He answered me today but that was enough to make her happy now!

Spent a few hours today with Sandy at hospital with an invasive eye test. rest of  day spent working at home looking at regulations for the retention of documentation in academia. Minefield.

So this evening, having cooked and eaten,  I'm relaxing updating a membership database.

• RMweb Gold

Tony, that is good news. Hope you can both relax a bit now.

Part II

Aditi arrives home this evening, relaxed about just being able to get on with her job. Her sister recommended just sending an email to HR "thanking them" for the phone conversation today (to get the info on record). When she logged on to the college system there was a message sent after Aditi had left this evening with an attachment letter about the proposed restructuring of various teams including the one Aditi is part of. From her team, one post will disappear and there will be minor changes to duties. I'm not sure what happens if team members have applied for voluntary severance, been turned down and are then subject to involuntary severance procedures. Sounds like someone is creating a male chicken elevation scenario again.

Then there are the ring fenced new posts, and I can't even understand the scenario and timetable and I'm used to educational nu-speak.

There is a meeting for concerned staff and unions tomorrow at 1pm for "consultation". Aditi was supposed be attending an allegedly important meeting for the college in London tomorrow. She has just cancelled her attendance. She doesn't feel as bad about this one as the earlier attempt was very personal. In fact the man who supported her as a witness at her interview has had his post completely terminated. 

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Sad to hear, but not at all surprised about Aditi's friend/witness. In this situation it is fortunate that there are still some people prepared to stick their head above the parapet on behalf of others.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

evening.  The RAF have just buzzed the campsite (end of lake Bala) at about mach 2 at 50 feet (or so it appeared), afterburners on and going like they were chasing Russkies.....I have never seen jets so low or going so fast, and I 've seen a few.  Felt the wash.....

iD, not had a prothesis, I had surgery for FAI and associated issues, by Mr Aslam Mohammed at Wrightington. It was declared 'too late' afterwards, as the 3 years it took the NHS to recognise the issue and then work out who could fix it caused too much damage.  A piece of the cam impingement broke off end went into the acetabulum and tore things to shreds.  It hurt.  Earlier intervention would have saved the joint he thought, but as it is they hoped I might get 10 years (surgery was almost 2 years ago) but half that now looks likely.  Then there's all the issues about prothesis, glue or not...etc.  #sigh# middle age - pants.

RAF just passed again - equally as low (half hidden by trees....) but no afterburners.  Campsite enlivened!

To trains!  Rode on the ffestinibahn today, nice ride but they need to chop some trees down, the views are disappearing. The day has seen torrential rain, glorious sun and not bad winds - ended up with fish n chips at Barmouth.  I love the bridge.  Tal-y-llyn tomorrow.

Andrew, I wasn't aware of the FL9...oh dear.....'Dear Mr Schron, three please......'.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

something for a change.. I watched a T20 tonight and the mighty St Chads Broomfield won!! (without the services of youngest Herbert) but with her indoors undertaking scoring duties..

Football.. well its a joke but hey some people like it!

Large number of parcels dispatched due to e-bay activity today .. a large one awaits funds from AUstralia, a smaller one is off to the US of A...

Busy day tomorrow .. off early so if I don't get on early... Have a great Wednesday  good people..

Baz

• Like 3