The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

Weather the same as Bob (hardly a stunning revelation there) and plans for the day much the same except not tennis. There's motor racing on TV just about all day, so proper couch potato stuff. Julie's out all day, so no friction there - we long ago came to the conclusion that the secret of a happy marriage was two TVs, anyway.

• Like 2

Still cloudy, wet and COLD. One degree warmer today than yesterday at 12C and positively tropical tomorrow at 15C.

Roast pork with apple sauce for lunch today to be followed by a post prandial nap! There are bright spots in every day.

Happy railway modelling all.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Weather the same as Bob (hardly a stunning revelation there) and plans for the day much the same except not tennis. There's motor racing on TV just about all day, so proper couch potato stuff. Julie's out all day, so no friction there - we long ago came to the conclusion that the secret of a happy marriage was two TVs, anyway.

It's not lack of TVs but lack of choice of programme apparently/ My suggestion of taking up a hobby (like railway modelling) met with a rude remark! :jester:

Edited by grandadbob

Morning all,

We are safely here in Somerset, and already being spoiled, beautiful food washed down with local cider last evening! This meant that, on top of my drive from Cornwall, I fell asleep last night without posting!

I don't know about everyone on ERs but I suspect that, like me, you all like to show your gratitude for such kindness shown by your children.Although there will probably be a lot of protest, Joanna and I have booked Sunday lunch at the local pub. The 'Rose and Crown' in Stoke St. Gregory (affectionately known as the 'Rosie!) is a short walk from their current house and renowned for their roasts as well as the various ciders on tap! Stephanie, the middle grandchild, works there weekends and school holidays and so will effectively be with us although her meal is 'free' after service.

There was me being jealous of Ian re. the cars he'll be watching this weekend when I received a pleasant surprise - son-in-law David inherited a beautiful and expensively restored 'E-type Jag' from his father which he has recently had moved to his own garage from storage. After I used my very rusty engineering skills to cure a fuel leak, and set the three carburettors yesterday afternoon, I've been temporarily put on the insurance in order that I can take it for a drive!! (Obviously well before we go to the pub!). For those of you sensitive to such things, the move from dry and secure storage is temporary as the family move back to their Epping, Essex property late in August at, which point it will go to a local facility! Scary responsibility but I'm really looking forward to it after playing with that lovely engine yesterday afternoon.

Hope you all enjoy whatever sport you like most today. F1 is favourite for David and I and will be duly recorded for enjoyment after lunch. Don't know about others, but I'm getting a little fed up with footballers who look like they've been shot one minute, and run around like spring chickens the next? Truly disappointed for Mark Cavendish - what a nasty crash that was!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Off to methley...cricket ground has a railway running past so you get the sounds of DMUs running past...

Hasn't rained yet so may get away with a full game....semi final of the oldest cricket cup in the world...The Heavy Woollen Cup.. Which has a great big silver cup awaiting the winners.

No other sport scheduled today
Have a great Sunday

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The Obergrumpenfuhrer is really a very kind and generous soul.

Which is why she has very kindly let me have her cold!

In the good old days I would have battled through it and kept going, effectively sweating it out of me.

Now it invariably goes straight to my chest, so I have no problem with a quick roll over and  whimpering about how bad i am.

I can't possibly do the gardening, but I'll just about be able to manage watching the GP.............

I can't do the washing up, as I feel weak at the knees, although I can manage to stagger out to the freezer for an ice cream:  Purely for soothing my throat you understand!

I can't do any dusting as it makes me sneeze and the noise of the vacuum cleaner gives me a head ache.

Now how long can I feasibly spin this out, before she realises it is just a sniffle?

• Like 3

Now how long can I feasibly spin this out, before she realises it is just a sniffle?

The best I ever managed was a whole day before I was rumbled...

As a child during the winter, I'd press my head up against a radiator for a couple of minutes to convince everyone I had a temperature. That worked quite well... Devious, me? No sir.

• Like 1

As a kid I managed to vomit to order. Best use was in the obligatory cross country run in Beddington Park. Rush off like a jackrabbit, into the lead for the first half mile, then pull up winded and chuck all that extra custard you'd had for lunch over a convenient tree root.

"Sorry, sir, I went off too fast - I was keen to win..."

Back to the changing rooms and a lazy afternoon, with full approval. Only workwd a couple of times, though.

I also got out of swimming at college with imaginary veruccas.

• Like 4

I like your style Dick. Did the cross country route involve climbing that godforsaken high wall at Carew Manor? We ran in Beddington Park for a while, and then I remember being bussed over to Woodmansterne for rugby and cross country.

• Like 1

Not the wall but we had to run through the Wandle (next to a bridge) at the muddiest point. Stank.

We also went to Farthing Down, which was at least different scenery.

As I recall we went from school down the avenue to Carew Manor, left through the Home Farm and then to the Grange, then back to school. I hated it.

Speaking of Carew Manor, did you ever experience the outside swimming pool? That was a nasty experience. Or being made to run laps of the rugby pitches when it snowed? Barefoot and no shirts to 'toughen us up'. I often find that pneumonia builds character.

And we did Scottish Dancing. In fact I got caned for not taking it sufficiently seriously...

• Like 4

Not wishing to turn ER into a Saaf Lundun nostalgia trip but...

No, don't remember the pool at Carew Manor. Yes to laps of the pitch barefoot in snow, I'd forgotten about that! We had to do Scottish Country Dancing complete with crossed swords. During my time, the PE teacher that we did the Scottish dancing with was a Welshman called Mr Ireland. That was always good for a giggle, just not to his face, bad tempered little g*t...

Many apologies to those who didn't go to our old alma mater.

Jock Ireland was a Scot. Short, kilted and attitudinal. I also got in trouble for trying to look up his kilt on that open staircase in the science block.

I met him in later life (selling him and his girlfriend a house in my brief career in property) and he was meek and mild when facing adults...

• Like 1

Many apologies to those who didn't go to our old alma mater.

Jock Ireland was a Scot. Short, kilted and attitudinal. I also got in trouble for trying to look up his kilt on that open staircase in the science block.

I met him in later life (selling him and his girlfriend a house in my brief career in property) and he was meek and mild when facing adults...

Blimey - was he really a Scot??? I must have been hopeless with accents, I genuinely thought he was Welsh. Duh.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Yes Gordon there was a Spit with the Hurricane but the Hurri gave the better pose through the telephone wires.  I reckon they came over us at less than 300ft on their first run in, they did their second run - right down above the river - at less than 200ft as they were below the tree tops/big house on the opposite side of the valley, must have looked great from the riverside.

GDB - my suggestion re herself taking up a hobby hasn't worked either, I suggested quilting as it looks interesting and maybe some of the equipment has other uses.

Jock major respect sir - balancing 3 SUs is the work of an artist.

Son returned yesterday and seems in good form having had a fairly restful time in Dubrovnik but seemingly well knackered after doing Turin to home by train yesterday.  Also some good news yesterday about a model appearing later this year which promises to be an absolute cracker - it will be in the public arena in the coming months.

Big choice today - will it be F1 (good to see Jenson up there) or the probably far more interesting and occasionally exciting Tour du Yorkshire Midi, which definitely will have the better scenery?

Have a good day folks

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My brother got out of PE by the cunning method of just not going to the lessons in what would now be year 10 & 11. Helping out in the advanced physics lab prep room was a sure guarantee of never being found by a games master! He was of course amused at reading his report!

When I started teaching lots of senior management were ex-PE teachers, Most PE teachers when they couldn't run about fast enough to hit pupils started teaching their "second" subject. However due to the Essex recruitment process of mass hirings from Welsh teacher training establishments a second subject of Welsh wasn't very useful hence the preponderance of ex PE teachers in "pastoral care" promoted posts. 

For those of you with children / grandchildren of school age I think you needn't worry, sports/PE teachers no longer seem to be the brutes of yesteryear!

Tony

• Like 6

Well as promised a photo of the last few weeks modelling activities....see I am starting to build some goods stock too! In fact there's a   flat wagon under construction (mainly  from coffee stirrers ) held together with clothes pegs on the dinning table as I write this! 

Temperature is barely 29c  with sporadic thunder storms forecast for this afternoon through till tomorrow. 

Trev.

post-4282-0-83400400-1404642526.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I well remember some of the 'pastoral care' given by P.E. teachers.

Barry Hines wasn't far wrong in 'A Kestrel for a Knave'.

Just to re-emphasise Tony's point though, things are very very different now and have been for a long while.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

I worked with quite a lot of middle aged PE teachers after 1985. The arrival of lots of computers in schools had resulted in quite a few people being timetabled for IT who needed some support.  The PE teachers were really cooperative and had lots of ideas. Actually the most difficult were former typing or office skills staff.

Tony

• Like 5

PE Master to DD: "Why haven't you completed the circuit and traversed the wall bars at the top?"

DD: "I'm afraid of heights, Sir."

PE Master: "You're a moron. You had detention last week for putting a bike on the roof. What are you?"

DD: "Please, Sir, I'm a moron".

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

PE Master to DD: "Why haven't you completed the circuit and traversed the wall bars at the top?"

DD: "I'm afraid of heights, Sir."

PE Master: "You're a moron. You had detention last week for putting a bike on the roof. What are you?"

DD: "Please, Sir, I'm a moron".

Oh dear.  That sounds soooooo like the truth.

One poor lad really copped it for this exchange:

"Boy - where's your homework?"

"At home Sir"

"Well I can't mark it there can I?  You're an imbecile, boy.  What are you?"

"Not what you said Sir"

"And you can now enjoy a week of detentions as well!!!"

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3