The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

That's terrible, my sympathies. Can I assume she was expecting this, hence the trip?

Yup - she couldn't really afford the trip, but the medics were making it clear he hadn't long. She has three sisters in the UK, so someone else should be sorting things. Oesophagus cancer had been diagnosed a few weeks ago, so he's gone quite quickly. But at 77....

• RMweb Premium

Yup - she couldn't really afford the trip, but the medics were making it clear he hadn't long. She has three sisters in the UK, so someone else should be sorting things. Oesophagus cancer had been diagnosed a few weeks ago, so he's gone quite quickly. But at 77....

Very sad indeed.  No-one knows just how long is the piece of string which represents our lives.  Some go suddenly, others last unduly against the odds.   Any form of cancer is an immediate and significant threat - some are far more aggressive than others.  But there's no way to make it easy arriving off a mercy-dash flight to hear the worst news.

Similar situation happened here recently.  A good friend arranged for her mother to fly out for a holiday, duly bade her a fond farewell and expected her safe return only to receive a phone call from Abu Dhabi airport some hours later where the poor lady had suffered a DVT (not the rail vehicle) and passed away on the spot.   The grief that caused and the sudden need to make the exact trip from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi only a day later has had a significant impact on the family.  And it's not at all easy, apparently, to have a body released from an Arab nation for repatriation and burial in the UK, never mind the cost.

My sympathies.

• RMweb Gold

In England the process of notification of death to Government bodies is a bit simpler now - a sort of one stop shop arrangement - don't know about Scotland though.

It always helps if the deceased has been under continuous medical supervision, as here. No need for a post-mortem etc.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the supports and suggestions.

Finally got to sleep at about 5 for an hour.

To cap it all Mrs BoD passed out in the kitchen this morning. This has happened more than once so she phoned the Dr for an appointment (normally a two week or so wait) the Dr phoned back and did a triage so she has an appoinment at 4 this afternnon.

I hope none of the little darlings rub me up the wrong way today or I might just bite their heads off.

I hope all goes well with Mrs BoD's appointment. We seem to be really fortunate with our GP surgery. Very unusual not to get a same day appointment.

The students, (mainly late teens, not quite A level ability) I taught at the end of my career were lovely. "OK Tony, who has annoyed you this morning, shall we "sort them out" for you?" 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No-one knows just how long is the piece of string which represents our lives.  

Indeed, Rick. Which is why some of us are making the most of it while we are here. Effectively that's what Deb and I did a decade ago, moving to be near the event we so enjoyed at Le Mans. I said when I retired at 55 that the Grim Reaper doesn't need to give us much notice as we get older - and how right I was. Grab it all while you can - tomorrow may not be quite as you expected.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and as sunny here as it sound in Ian's neck of the woods. 

Rain forecast for the weekend, so make the most of it. 

I completed a bit more of the layout's woodwork last night and anticipate putting some track down later, just to see if this spiral thingy works. After that I'll build another spiral at the other end of the layout to link back to the fiddle yard/traverser. There's a 12-14' gap (hope you like my level of precision, I'm not really in the rivet counter league yet) in between the two spirals which I'll fit the layout thingy. With that much space in N gauge there's almost room for a station.    :jester:

Pete, as a former Essex chap you may like to take a look at David F's latest photos, if you haven't already. Some nice shots of Shenfield, Stratford and the LT&S. 

Anyway, toodle-pip for now.  :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Thanks for all the good wishes, I must admit that I haven't had time to catch up on all that has been happening in ERs over the past couple of weeks.

Our Wedding went very smoothly, and we had a fantastic time.  We had done a fair bit of planning, but there were a few factors that we couldn't do anything about.  For example, the weather (which was great) and the fact that we got married on the weekend of the "Magic Bike" festival - which is one of the biggest Harley Davidson rallies in Europe!  When we planned the wedding originally, the organisers had published the wrong date.

The Tirol was lovely.  I was last in Austria over 30 years ago and so it was nice to go back.  I'll get some pictures up later, but we stayed in the Zillertal which has a rather nice little 760mm railway running through the middle of it.

Anyway - here is a photo from our big day.

Wedding_zpscfd58e6d.jpg

Have a good day everyone...

What a handsome couple! Ladies in glasses always seem more intellectual - a big plus point!

So glad it's gone well so far - many more years to follow, I hope!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And it's not at all easy, apparently, to have a body released from an Arab nation for repatriation and burial in the UK, never mind the cost.

My sympathies.

In my last job this was one of the more complex things we had to deal with, especially where we might be dealing with a death abroad where the relatives were also non-English speakers living 1000s of miles away from our office. It also got complex if there was any area of doubt about the cause of death and foreign police forces got involved. Repatriation of the body could take months, or longer. 

I have to say when I heard that a fellow villager (in his 80s) had driven home from the village shop, sat down in his favourite armchair and fallen asleep, never to wake up again, my reaction was "Lucky s@d." 

• Like 1

Morning all,

Sorry to hear of Alison's loss Ian, I know you must be feeling for her. Even though she couldn't have helped, she will be distressed that she didn't have the chance to say goodbye. (speaking from experience as I missed my mum's passing by 2 hours). Sorry I got it wrong - thought Sherry was arriving today! Hope you don't exhaust yourself too much tidying up so as you can enjoy LeMans to the full and I'm certainly looking forward to the pics, weather permitting. I shall follow the action on their web-site!

BoD, I know it's late, but Tonic Water works well for me! Schhhhhhh......!

Dom, I know what you mean, I've been trying to ensure that my grandchildren and children remember the horror of WW1,especially in this the centenary year! The nearest I got to getting through to the two eldest grandsons was to explain (during a trip to France and Belgium) that, as we stood under the monument at the Menin Gate, the number of unidentified corpses buried under their feet equated to the crowd at a Tottenham Hotspur match they attended a couple of weeks before. You could see the sudden understanding dawn by the dropping of their jaws! Sometimes shock tactics work as they haven't forgotten the lesson for many years, and now that they are fathers themselves, I hope they will pass the knowledge on. You will have to rely on sympathetic souls in your group - good luck and please let us know how you get on with what is far from a trivial subject!

Good luck to you all for the rest of the week - today is the biggest market in a Porthleven week so the bank balance will likely diminish further!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS just read the news about Mrs BoD posted while I was writing this - hope it's not a serious problem and hope we get an update later if you can manage it BoD. Our thoughts are with her today.

I endorse all that Ian has said in his multiple posts as I'm in a unique position to appreciate the phrase 'carpet diem'!

Robert's picture luckily lightens the mood and I look forward to further images!

J.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A few days ago folk were compiling lists of key ERs requirements etc. I'd like to add another one - practical compassion. None of you really knows me, still less Alison or her lamented father. Yet I've had a PM from one of you offering a phone number if she's in difficulties. How warm is that?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now look here. The wood exposed to any sort of weather has now had two coats of gunge, the rest one coat, so I am confident it will not rot before my very eyes. I have also purchased a pot of (very cheap, but that's by French standards) white paint to coat the door itself, which being metal has arrived with a sort of undercoat on it. Since the door is kinda corrugated I think my best bet is spraying. To this end I have, currently gathering dust, a low-pressure spray kit which may finally see some service - but only after Sherry has shaken the sand from her shoes and retired (hopefully unhurt!) to Blighty.

The car sailed through the MOT. I have yet to have a failure since moving here in 2004, actually.

Yes, that would be best.  Shaking the sand from her shoes whilst admiring your freshly painted door might not be the best action, unless you want a flecked effect.......

Oh Fleck!

Secondly I didn't realise your car was amphibious :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I have to say when I heard that a fellow villager (in his 80s) had driven home from the village shop, sat down in his favourite armchair and fallen asleep, never to wake up again, my reaction was "Lucky s@d." 

I've always wanted to go quickly like that

At the age of 96:  Shot in the back by a jealous husband. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always wanted to go quickly like that

At the age of 96:  Shot in the back by a jealous husband. 

I half expected that might be my fate over the years - but in the last few years a jealous daughter seemed my most likely assassin!

Afternoon all. Cream crackered. Bring on the holidays!

As my current topic with the 8th graders has to do with the history of immigration to the United States, the following video was brought to my attention today...

I found it very impressive and moving, and am now planning to use this as a source of inspiration for the role plays I am having the students prepare. They are to prepare a dialogue between – for example – an immigrant and an immigration official from the Ellis Island Immigration Centre; or among immigrants who have only just arrived on Ellis Island and are now anxious about whether they will be admitted to the United States.

There's a book about Ellis Island called American Passage which is really informative but also very readable. Nowadays you can visit the island which is a fascinating and very atmospheric place. I have some not very good pictures that I can post if you think they'd be any help.

• Like 2

Happy Hippo said

"I've always wanted to go quickly like that"

.........but not screaming like my passengers!

Very nice picture Rob. You even look younger than in your avatar!

Did Thomas attend? I hope that he get on with his new Step-Mom.

Is she railway tolerant?

I wish you both Many, many HAPPY years

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have so many photographs that look like Robert's from the Tirol. If Aditi sees them she will be pining for the mountains again. We are going on a cruise this year as my stamina at present couldn't cope with another big drive but Aditi was saying that if I wasn't feeling up to driving (or being driven) to Austria in the future, she could be sensible about the packing (!), we could fly to Munich and hire a car. Our favourite hotel in Ellmau is about an hour's easy drive. Aditi loves seeing mountains. She has no interest in mountaineering but does appreciate a nice cable car with a restaurant with views at the summit. She believes spending her early years near Shimla (aka Simla) must have made an impression.

I've just had a BBM (email not secure enough) from Aditi. Apparently a decision whether or not to compulsory sack her will be made tomorrow. She hadn't heard anything so sent the union lady in to enquire and deliver a message about what her response would be!

Amazingly Aditi was told yesterday that her line manager's manager was very concerned about just how many of her staff have applied to be considered for voluntary severance.

Tony

My claims against my Medical Aid (Insurance) have exceeded their limits from time to time. Last month I had a Rodent Ulcer removed from my head. I got a shock when I opened the Dr's bill which appeared to be for R1,579.00! :O

On closer inspection however it was just for the amount that the Medical didn't pay - R15.98 :boast:

Hearing horror stories of patients waiting for appointments to see their UK GP,  we are in the happy situation of just arriving at his consulting room and waiting, usually less than an hour for a consultation. In my case if I phone before 8:00 am he will come to me before 10:00 am the same day!

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Firstly I do hope Mrs Bod is ok and that the Doctor gets her sorted quickly.  As for indigestion I have two remedies - the most readily available is Coca Cola and the second is a prescription drug called ranitidine which was originally developed as an ulcer cure (and cost a small fortune) but is nowadays prescribed to counteract the ill effects of taking various cocktails of drugs (and is cheap).

Secondly well done Robert, congratulations to you both.  I did the Achenseebahn on my 'grand tour' in 2003 - well worth it and very interesting, especially taking water at the top end where the engine pumps its own water out of the lake (my pic of that is now one of my screensaver procession).

And yes folks - if life is here get on and live it;  I came within a heartbeat or so of saying cheerio to it back in 1999 thanks to a blood clot which fortunately decided not to go beyond a lung so there I was in hospital looking perfectly fit but if it had moved to my heart that would have been it.  Definitely a different outlook on life after you walk away from something like that.

Nice walk by the river yesterday - lovely weather, some very nice boats although the only steam powered one we heard & saw was off in the distance.  Seems large hire boats are still being hired to idiots - one bloke 'steering' a gin place of a hire cabin cruiser hit the timber strake on one side of the lock as he tried to go through the gates, bounced off that and hit the wall on the other side and then nearly crushed a smaller boat in the lock.  Subsequently seen heading off up the wrong side of the river before taking a very sharp right and nearly hitting the opposite bank  - beats me why they let folk like him on the river;  I wonder what he's like in a car?

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 4