The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Game cancelled at last minute so some weathering  "earning  a crust" as Coachman calls it can now take place.

Why do teh RTR companies think that weathering is brown paint sprayed all over with lots of lime scale in white?? Obviously only use black and white photos..... Onwards and upwards ERs!

baz

• Like 5

Morning all,

It's been an expensive week so far. First of all the a section of pipe between the central heating pump and expansion tank got gunged up. I don't have the skills to tackle replacing that so had a bill from the plumber. Then a day later, having got the central heating and water back working the PCB went on the boiler. As it is an old one, and no-longer manufactured the cost of these parts is going up rapidly. Then the dishwasher started to fail to empty. So, I cleared out the pump impeller and it got a little better but quite clearly the waste pipe was blocked. So, in trying to disconnect that the force I used was sufficient to unseat the ancient sink waste basket assembly. The new one was only about £4 but had a leak, so had to buy some silicone sealant....it goes on and on and on.... Still trying to disconnect the jammed on pipework attached to the U bend and got far enough for it to leak manky water into the cupboard but not sufficiently far to undo altogether. Grrr. I think I need a job where I can afford to get a plumber in for these sorts of jobs, but perhaps I lack the killer instinct needed to be a Hedge Fund Manager. <sighs>

I believe the cost of fitting a pcb to my boiler was £140 for the part, £4 for the postage and, wait for it....£100 for 20 minutes work (including sourcing the part, walking my cheque to the bank...etc.). 

Edited by AndyB

• RMweb Gold

My sunflowers now tower a foot above the Sun Room height.

Has anyone else grown a variety named 'Tri Ffid'?

Do be careful, I believe it can make you go blind.

Afternoon all. Managed to get another coat of paint on the garage door today. Feeling pleased with my efforts I packed the paint stuff away, wandered round to the front of the garage to admire my work and found squadrons of kamikaze flies had dived into the fresh paint. I give up.

Further news on Death in Paradise, we watched the episode that was cocked up on Monday when it was repeated last night. At least we found out the killer was the one we suspected, however, some of the scenes that were in Monday's show were missing. Checking the tv guide I noticed that the programme was allotted an hour and twenty minutes before the start of the New Tricks. Last night there was only sixty minutes for the same show. As DiP was originally on BBC1 and ran for an hour, that would make sense with the longer time on Alibi allowing for advertising. To cut it to one hour and still have ads means that scenes must be cut out, hence last night's shortened version. Anyone who hadn't seen the original version would not know parts were deleted, it still basically made sense. We are also fans of Murdoch Mysteries and as far as I know they have never been on terrestrial telly so we watch them on Alibi completely unaware if they have been shortened or not. Of course if they were made for broadcasting on ITV the ad breaks would be there anyway. 

That's all for now, rain on the way tonight I expect.

The Murdoch Mysteries are due to emerge on, I think, a freeview channel next week. 

I've watched a few episodes. Quite entertaining but as mentioned very anachronistic.

The episode length depends on what series you are watching. 1-5 was created for Rogers in Canada and had a running time of 43 mins per episode. Seasons 6-7 (soon to be 8 )  were bought by the CBC which has fewer adverts per hour and the running time is 46 mins per episode. Chances are nothing is cut from the Alibi airings.

IMDb is your friend. :-)

Edited by AndrewC

Actually, not anachronistic at all. The producers have ensured that all the novelties could have been produced from knowledge or research that existed in 1900. Just that no-one at the time had done so. That's the fun of it for me, that Murdoch (and Crabtree) were just swimming ahead of the wave, as it were. Some parts (like the giant robot) are just steampunk science fiction.

I particularly liked the fax photo that took 20 hours and was the size of a wall...

• RMweb Gold

Don. As requested I attached a few mineral wagons (mixture of 13 and 16 ton models) to my Garratt and the loco coped well. I've only got 45 wagons behind it at present but the loco has enabled me to identify a couple of track issues that smaller and/or lighter locos hadn't revealed. I'll deal with the track before attempting to add more wagons!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

so as I have missed a day of cricket (pah!)  I have been doings some railways in the work room.

Take two Dapol weathered rectangular tankers , add some ink and powders and..

post-7650-0-85211700-1404311508_thumb.jpg

I will now hide just in case Debs comes back...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Cream crackered. Bring on the holidays!

As my current topic with the 8th graders has to do with the history of immigration to the United States, the following video was brought to my attention today...

I found it very impressive and moving, and am now planning to use this as a source of inspiration for the role plays I am having the students prepare. They are to prepare a dialogue between – for example – an immigrant and an immigration official from the Ellis Island Immigration Centre; or among immigrants who have only just arrived on Ellis Island and are now anxious about whether they will be admitted to the United States.

• Like 4

<TRIVIA ALERT>

Quick update on the AN-225, since I've had numerous questions/comments from friends etc., who've seen the pictures.

There is only ONE of these beasts, well, one complete flying aircraft anyway. A second one was started but has been mothballed due to lack of demand.

So if lots of folks report seeing this at various locations "simultaneously", they are simply wrong, and have probably seen one of the several smaller AN-124 of which about 60 exist and are flying. The AN-124 WAS the largest aircraft before the AN-225 arrived on the scene. Major and noticable differences between the two are the AN-225 has SIX engines and a twin tail.

<END TRIVIA ALERT>

Quiet here in the Twin CIties today, in advance of July 4th. pandemonium and traffic exodus. However it IS chilly (by DonB's standards) waking up at 12 today with very overcast skies. Due to clear out some during the day and maybe make 21 for a high. Still below season averages.

Here's hoping the east coast and Pete are prepared, and possibly are able to avoid, the first major Tropical Storm "Arthur" of the season that has prompted a hurricane warning and may produce some severe weather over the holiday weekend.

HUMP day pretty much done for and I've one day left before a three day weekend - yipee!

• Like 3

A quick check in from our now former abode. I am back, briefly, at the bungalow to collect some more stuff and use the internet and phone - just so many calls to make to tell people you are moving.

Some progress in the last two days regarding my "lost" money issues. The £50 from the ATM looks like it has gone. The bank investigation brought about no descrepency in the machine so I will probably have to write that amount off. I have disputed the decision on the account that no one used the cash machine for the minute or two I was stood there on my phone so we will see if that brings something. There has been a better result from the lost money from the Asda self service till. The police called today to tell me that they have identified the person who took the money, spoken to him, and they have agreed to return the money so that is good news!

• Like 4

Sorry to have been absent of late. At times I've read through the latest but haven't had the opportunity to comment.

I'm glad Andy & family are in their new home - a special time and I wish you much happiness. And I hope the Asda money turns up too!

Interesting times ahead regarding the housework when I stay with Ian next week, now that the regular cleaning lady is away. It's not my favourite activity but I must have anticipated events as, at the end of my last visit, I left my rubber gloves there!

Calm down, chaps.....!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

It's been an expensive week so far. First of all the a section of pipe between the central heating pump and expansion tank got gunged up. I don't have the skills to tackle replacing that so had a bill from the plumber. Then a day later, having got the central heating and water back working the PCB went on the boiler. As it is an old one, and no-longer manufactured the cost of these parts is going up rapidly. Then the dishwasher started to fail to empty. So, I cleared out the pump impeller and it got a little better but quite clearly the waste pipe was blocked. So, in trying to disconnect that the force I used was sufficient to unseat the ancient sink waste basket assembly. The new one was only about £4 but had a leak, so had to buy some silicone sealant....it goes on and on and on.... Still trying to disconnect the jammed on pipework attached to the U bend and got far enough for it to leak manky water into the cupboard but not sufficiently far to undo altogether. Grrr. I think I need a job where I can afford to get a plumber in for these sorts of jobs, but perhaps I lack the killer instinct needed to be a Hedge Fund Manager. <sighs>

I believe the cost of fitting a pcb to my boiler was £140 for the part, £4 for the postage and, wait for it....£100 for 20 minutes work (including sourcing the part, walking my cheque to the bank...etc.). 

Last Christmas I had a similar problem with my central heating, obviously the PCB, like yours it was an obsolete model and a 'back boiler' to boot. When it came time to fit the new PCB the old one was found to be soaking wet from a leak in the boiler casing which was not repairable. As a result it meant a brand new evaporation boiler fitted in the loft but at least it should outlast me.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to have been absent of late. At times I've read through the latest but haven't had the opportunity to comment.

I'm glad Andy & family are in their new home - a special time and I wish you much happiness. And I hope the Asda money turns up too!

Interesting times ahead regarding the housework when I stay with Ian next week, now that the regular cleaning lady is away. It's not my favourite activity but I must have anticipated events as, at the end of my last visit, I left my rubber gloves there!

Calm down, chaps.....!

I think your biggest worry might be whether or not he has finished painting/surface treating those garage doors ;)

Last Christmas I had a similar problem with my central heating, obviously the PCB, like yours it was an obsolete model and a 'back boiler' to boot. When it came time to fit the new PCB the old one was found to be soaking wet from a leak in the boiler casing which was not repairable. As a result it meant a brand new evaporation boiler fitted in the loft but at least it should outlast me.

In my previous house I also had a back boiler. It got more and more temperamental and eventually when you switched it on there would be an ominous pause between the gas switching on and the thing igniting. On one occasion, milliseconds before I decided to move, the gas started,.....pause.....ignite.....blue flame game shooting out of the bottom and across the lounge. 

The design of house, coupled with minimum distances between flu and windows, doors, etc, meant other options were really limited. 

I managed to get the leaking sink basket to stop leaking, replacing the washer with a band of silicone sealant. That only left a leak from the dishwasher fitting, where it meets the U bend trap. A friend came round and helped me free this up, and when it was cleaned the leak stopped. Result! We now have a sink and a dishwasher. And a happy swmbo!!  

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think your biggest worry might be whether or not he has finished painting/surface treating those garage doors ;)

Now look here. The wood exposed to any sort of weather has now had two coats of gunge, the rest one coat, so I am confident it will not rot before my very eyes. I have also purchased a pot of (very cheap, but that's by French standards) white paint to coat the door itself, which being metal has arrived with a sort of undercoat on it. Since the door is kinda corrugated I think my best bet is spraying. To this end I have, currently gathering dust, a low-pressure spray kit which may finally see some service - but only after Sherry has shaken the sand from her shoes and retired (hopefully unhurt!) to Blighty.

The car sailed through the MOT. I have yet to have a failure since moving here in 2004, actually.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 9

I haven’t over here either......that’s because they just make sure it has an engine, 4 wheels and steering wheel......and it's every other year only (after 5 years of nothing). Bit like when the MOT was introduced, I suppose....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

The good weather has finally broken here!  I just managed to repair the front door bell and pick some strawberries from the garden in a cold wind, and now it is pouring down.  To be fair the garden needs it though.  To make matters worse, my delivery of an NCE Powercab (Pre-Owned!) from Hattons arrived by Courier and left again as there was no-one home to sign for it.  They told me 2 day delivery and it arrived in 1 day.  Now I have to try to re-arrange delivery.

The good weather has finally broken here!  I just managed to repair the front door bell and pick some strawberries from the garden in a cold wind, and now it is pouring down.  To be fair the garden needs it though.  To make matters worse, my delivery of an NCE Powercab (Pre-Owned!) from Hattons arrived by Courier and left again as there was no-one home to sign for it.  They told me 2 day delivery and it arrived in 1 day.  Now I have to try to re-arrange delivery.

Simon - once you actually "get" it, I'm sure you'll like the Powercab. I've been exceedingly happy with mine, a very nice piece of kit.

Simon - once you actually "get" it, I'm sure you'll like the Powercab. I've been exceedingly happy with mine, a very nice piece of kit.

A friend has one and I found it really nice to use.