The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hi all. Sorry for the lack of postings yesterday, but thanks for the good wishes. The move went well with no real major problems. My father in law and I worked non-stop all day, but still ended up with a frantic last minute load at 4.30pm, taking some bedroom units to the new house, before I shot off to drop the van off by 5pm. Traffic problems caused a ten minute late arrival but the van hire place were very understanding.

The house is superb, although we have the usual post move position of boxes all over the place and a few minor stuff is still back at the bungalow. I will have to keep popping back there to use the phone and internet which won't be connected at the new place until July 9th. We are very happy with the new place though. Looking through the windows or standing in it whilst empty did not do the space justice. Once we got the furniture in we realised how much room we did have, the house is very spacious so we are very happy.

As expected the model railway is 5 inches too long for the spare room so it will reside in the brick built garage. This may be a blessing as there is far more room to extend it. Also the baseboard legs had suffered some "mould" damage from the damp infested bungalow so it is probably better for it to be in the garage anway.

Sarah and I finally sat down at 9.45pm to take it all in. Yes we did open a bottle of champagne and boy did it taste good! So good in fact that we downed the bottle and went to bed a little worse for wear!! This led to a headache for work this morning. I

I am very tired right now but hope that we can just enjoy the house without any "speed bumps" in the road for the time being.

Enjopy the rest of your day.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

As I have a cleaner, you might think I will be getting her to spruce the place up ready for Sherry's visit next Monday. After all, Thursday is cleaning day. Er, no. Instead, Alison and her three sons are flying to Edinburgh tomorrow, en route Perth, as her dad - 77 - is in the final stages of cancer. Her partner is not pleased, fears she will abscond with the kids. So I shall have to do the cleaning - and it's Classic Weekend at Le Mans. Oh me miserum, as they used to say in Rome. I expect I'll cope - and Sherry is very understanding! [Anyone saying she needs to be to tolerate me is probably right!]

Not for the first time, I am pleased to accept that compared with some of the problems faced by other esteemed ER members, this is a mere bagatelle.

I have finished the first coat of "paint" on the new garage woodwork. It's a sort of thick gungy protective film, actually, but does enhance the look of the wood.

EDIT Alison spent about an hour here doing admin she can't do at home, and printing boarding passes etc. She was accompanied by a young American girl, Hailey (19) who seemed impressed that I knew Maine is called the North East Kingdom and rather good at growing potatoes. The things you learn modelling US HO! Hailey is a sort of volunteer worker in the green sector, and such people stay over with permaculturists like Alison, helping out with chores. Hailey will now have to spend a few days with her brother in Paris before moving on to her next volunteer site.

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  back on Jersey, internet no better.  ie, cark.  Jersey is very nice but a bit too small - even for those of us from another island.

We have had a nice sunny day but it is a touch windy now and coudy, temp dropped back to about 20,  Don wouldn't like it!

That's all folks.....hope everyone has had an acceptable couple of days, and Andy has moved - hurrah!  Here's hoping things are better now for you and your family.

• Like 4

STOP PRESS - Afternoon total insignifica for anyone NOT located in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, of course that means bloody EVERYONE in ER except me :)

An Antonov AN-225, worlds largest commercial aircraft, arrived here yesterday and will be here until tomorrow. Picking up some huge TRANE air-conditioners for delivery to the middle-east.

post-20244-0-05298000-1404242166_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-70622800-1404242167_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure one of those big Antonov aeroplanes has landed in Essex (Stansted not Southend!) but I didn't see it. I have seen some of the smaller ones though

Edited by Tony_S

Of all the Chanel Isles I always preferred Guernsey, Jersey just  seemed to be too full (even "off-season") . Never got to Alderney though ( the only one now with a proper railway).  Sark always seemed strange (well they didnt seem to understand why the diesel generators didnt like running on a mix of gas oil & rainwater!) A lot of my colleagues at that time were envious of my "patch"  which was everywhere west of the A34, and south of a line from Oxford to Portmadoc!  (Though somehow I did manage to get in Dundee, Aberdeen, Hull & two days officially on the "Ratty".) But travelling around the West of England in peak holiday season was not something to be envied! 

Manic tropical downpours here for about two hours this morning  roads flooded  so normal commute that is 15 - 20 minutes took over 90!  Then get to the office and the lightening had knocked out the local cell phone tower, so no internet till just before going home time!  So most of the evening has been so far spent working.

try to enjoy the rest of the evening, 

Trev.

I think I may have just learned a swearword in Hindi. A call from 'Microsoft support' about error reports from my computer. My first reaction - happiness and anticipation - may have unsettled him immediately. So we had a few minutes establishing which of the several computers in the house might have the problem. Then several more minutes of me trying, without success, to get the exact text of any of the many error reports ('any time you log on to the internet') they had apparently received. Phonecall suddenly ended with a single, shouted word (which I did not recognise).

I was disappointed the call didn't last longer. I must work on my naivety.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, split between watching three kittens and the match, been eating too much sugary stuff today and suffering a bit,  self inflicted of course so no sympathy needed do you want a cake Mick? should be answered no quite firmly. Looking forward to Silverstone and another Massa pole! With a win for Lewis of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear Reader,

may I be so bold as to encapsulate ER into a succint, yet illuminative, synthesis?

Have I missed anything?

iD

FRIENDSHIP?

• Like 2

Dear Reader,

may I be so bold as to encapsulate ER into a succint, yet illuminative, synthesis?

TRIVIA

MEDICAL STUFF

TRIVIA

COOL STUFF

MORE TRIVIA

OBLIGATORY ANIMAL PHOTOS

STILL MORE TRIVIA

MAJOR HUMAN CONDITION MILESTONE

TRAINS

DEEP MEANINGFUL PHILOSOPHY

SOME MORE COOL STUFF

TRIVIA YET AGAIN

CELEBRATIONS

RELATIVES (NICE)

RELATIVES (NASTY)

PLONKERS (NOT US)

TRIVIA

WEATHER

GOOD MORNING/EVENING/AFTERNOON/NIGHT

Have I missed anything?

iD

I was going to say work but I suppose that comes under Plonkers (not us)

Holiday pictures?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Was called the other day by the Windows Service Centre (no mention of Microsoft). I explained that my windows don't need servicing as they are fairly new and under warranty from the double glazing supplier. They hung up.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure one of those big Antonov aeroplanes has landed in Essex (Stansted not Southend!) but I didn't see it. I have seen some of the smaller ones though

When I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch I often saw the Shorts Belfast landing or taking off from Southend. IIRC it was the largest aircraft to use Southend. Regrettably there are none left, the one at Southend was broken up quite recently. 

Evening all,

Enjoying the sun, this time with a coating of sun cream. Superb lunch at Amelies restaurant on the quayside today - superb linguini with lobster and crab that were still swimming yesterday. It would have been rude not to wash it down with a fine sauvignon blanc!

DD, I have to say that most of your posts throw the lie to that last sentiment - I often find them very funny indeed and much appreciated, although Joanna will confirm that I have an 'odd' sense of humour!!

Ian, I hope we can rely on you to post some of your super pics from 'The Classic'? Hope all goes well from Thursday on, I've come to think of Sherry as a VIP over the weeks I've been on here and hope you both manage to find the happiness that Joanna and I have on our second time around! You should see two old f*rts walking hand in hand with Archie the Westie's lead in the other, all truly happy here on holiday - could'nt buy it!

We've reached the hump again soon, I hope the rest of the week is good to you and I hope you'll all be ticking off the topics on iL Dottores list to make sure you cover them all (including the extra suggestions) eventually.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Although I'm still in Essex I think I'm on Singapore time as I've just been having a text based "conversation" with Matthew via his preferred communication "app" called Whatsapp. He's waiting to go on a free city tour just now. He will be returning to Singapore on his way home in September for a proper visit and will stay longer with a friend from his time in Calgary. Normally if my phone made a "ding" noise in the night Aditi would be annoyed (though she wouldn't remember having been so by morning) but as it was Matthew that is allowed. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Can crabs and lobsters swim?

Ed

Don't know. The big lobster in Southend Sealife Centre seemed to run around on the gravel at the bottom of the tank quite well though!

Up at 4 having a coffee and wondering how a polarising filter looks on a dawn sky...

Yesterday I really fancied a pizza. That happens less than annually, and as it happens Pizza Hut have a 2 for 1 deal on Tuesdays.

So we decided to order. Online. Big mistake, as PH's website fell over in the middle of the process. That also meant that the phone number of the nearest hut and the menu weren't available. But we persevered, and we prevailed.

When the pizza arrived an hour later it was a soggy, stodgy mess. No crispy base, no cheese that I could find, oddly flavoured meatballs on it. But I was hungry and ate it anyway.

So I'm awake at 4 with indigestion!

Ian - I think I told you that I went to the Classic last year. It was fab to go round the paddocks and see the first races but instead of a 24 hour race (impossible with these cars) there were three sets of identical races, and as sometimes happens there was no real gutsy racing, so we came home about 3am. Worth the visit, though. I'll put some pictures up perhaps.

Hoping for the new phone today, doing some woodwork, perhaps some modelling, and then a big lump of political this evening.

Trivia - check

Food - check

Health - check

Pix of dawn - too early

No humour - check

Aaah. A successful ER submission...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning (part 2)

Beautiful morning here. Making a couple of cups of tea may be the limit of my physical exertion today . However I expect I shall manage a few other simple tasks as the day progresses.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Sunny hereabouts and up to 30ish °C forecast by about Friday  then to be followed by a plummet back to around 20 by next Tuesday.

I keep seeing An-124s at Leipzig Airport. I'd sure like to see the An-225 myself, too!

• Like 1