The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Dull and damp start in Porthleven today but sun forecast for later, and the rest of the week. I shall continue to rely on my 'look out of the window' method!

Had a hand made 'Cornish Pasty' from the harbour side bakers for dinner yesterday - a ridiculous size and enough for a complete meal. Simply can't buy them like that 'up-country', even from the emporiums claiming to be 'Genuine Cornish Pasty Shops'.

Market here today so no doubt Joanna's purse will be lighter by days end! She bought 14 gifts yesterday for kids and grandchildren with a couple more to find today.

Love the look of the place Ian and Jon does seem like a good find. I'm sure Sherry will approve (won't be long now!).

Hope you all have a good day, sun breaking through as I post,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Another 'Death In  Paradise' fan here and Kris Marshall turns out quite well I think so 'm looking forward to the next series.  Yesterday the good Doctor and I tidied the porch, preparatory, so I'm told instructed to resealing the tiles - which also means scrubbing it and finding some tile sealant somewhere.  Clearing the shed and the room are on the agenda but so are lots of other things (I'm told) and 'someone' is talking about 'making a list'.

I think a trip to Alton ought to figure in the list but that probably won't be my choice, or rather on the list I'm given.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, congrats to iD on returning to 100% earning potential. 

And also to Ian for his new doors. Do you keep your model railway in that garage? Suspect that mice would chew through the wiring, scenery etc if you did!

Managed to nab an hour last night to install the spiral on my layout. Time will tell if it is fit to have track and trains on it though.

Anyway, have a nice day everyone and hope the sunshine shine on you all.

Andy 

• Like 5

Another 'Death In  Paradise' fan here 

Me too when I get the time.

Great to see all those old actors turn up for their jolly on a tropical island.

Good gentle series - even the murders are depicted with some discretion.

• RMweb Gold

And also to Ian for his new doors. Do you keep your model railway in that garage? Suspect that mice would chew through the wiring, scenery etc if you did!

No, the model railway is in the railway barn, famous for having mice, snakes and even the odd toad or frog, I noticed recently. No evidence to date of mice eating wiring, of which there is an awful lot, the layout being DCC. They have sampled bits of scenery etc on occasion, but I blame myself for being an infrequent visitor in recent years. The whole place needs a massive tidy and clean. Could be a project for a nice Summer's day, following which trains of all sorts of persuasion (US HO, US On30, French HO railcars, British OO) might be having a quiet trundle.

Nissan is back, with a much bigger bill than expected. Two whole headlamp units replaced, not just what I took to be covers. Oh, well, it's only money...

• RMweb Gold

Do we need the minutiae of day to day boring activities or am I particularly grumpy today? I could fill this site with my Wife and Daughter’s clothing buying activities etc., they (their purchasing activities) certainly bore me and I love the pair....

Sorry if that offends you Pete - I'll try to be more interesting in future!  :scratchhead: 

Look forward to inspecting the garage door next week!

Is that what you call it? Ah well, when in Rome France... :blush:

Apologies... watched a Carry On movie last night and it usually takes me a day or two to rid my mind of double entendres...

• RMweb Gold

What will you do about the gaps at the bottom of the doors? Over here my garage would have snow drifts inside during the winter (not to say wild critters)....?

Do we need the minutiae of day to day boring activities or am I particularly grumpy today?

Since you ask, yes. Otherwise you wouldn't have worried about the bottoms of my doors.

• Like 5

Good to se a yard in Britain where the trackwork is as risible as some in the USA! Usually such photos of the USA cause much merriment on RMWeb.

Yes I know that the lens makes it look worse.......

Btw did you know that Bardon Hill is an extinct (possibly) volcano?

Best, Pete.

I didn't know that about Bardon Pete! Might make for some interesting conversation in the Shunter's cabin tonight.... ''is that your tummy rumbling our kid...?'' ....... ''no matey, it's Mount Coalville about to erupt. Put the kettle on kidda''.

(In places that trackwork is quite ropey and needs great care when backing a train in off the Down line, you're pushing downhill, round the twisty bits and uphill all at the same time).

MOT is due on the old Rover P5B next week, just had a look at last year's certificate and it appears I've only driven it for 52 miles since then! I honestly thought I'd done much more than that but obviously not. Might be time to move it on and get something else... I can feel another 'midlife crisis / old man sportscar niggle' coming on...

Hope all's well folks ;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning back from a slowish trip to Heathrow (still there 3 1/2 hours before departure though) and a speedier trip home. 

Matthew's plane has just departed.

I'm not doing anything else today, Robbie got his walk at 5am and seems happy enough.

We used to get mice overwintering in the garage but it was all the leaves blowing under the door that caused me to rivet some brush type draught excluder to the bottom of the door. It seems to deter mice too.

tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Since you ask, yes. Otherwise you wouldn't have worried about the bottoms of my doors.

Tis surely better to worry about those than the doors of ...... errrrrrr ........

An email just arrived offers me an interview for a new and rather different position with the same employer.  I'll polish my tie for tomorrow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Andy, Keep us informed of trains on the spiral and their load capability. A picture would be nice, or do you have a layout topic?

I certainly will, Don. But possibly not on ER, just in case Debs makes an appearance and castigates me for mentioning railway modelling. :) 

The layout is called Cromford and has it's own layout topic. Photos are starting to appear but it is due for an update now I have the traverser and spiral woodwork in place. 

The whole place needs a massive tidy and clean. Could be a project for a nice Summer's day, following which trains of all sorts of persuasion (US HO, US On30, French HO railcars, British OO) might be having a quiet trundle.

Watch out Ashers. Someone is dropping hints.  :no:

Actually I was wondering what sort of layout you two will have together. 

And in the spirit of Carry on... I'm expecting lots of joint operating practices. ;)  :smoke:  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is that what you call it? Ah well, when in Rome France... :blush:

Apologies... watched a Carry On movie last night and it usually takes me a day or two to rid my mind of double entendres...

I can understand, especially as one appears to be an up and over variety, whilst the other is definitely a swinger.

• RMweb Gold

Watch out Ashers. Someone is dropping hints.  :no:

Actually I was wondering what sort of layout you two will have together. 

And in the spirit of Carry on... I'm expecting lots of joint operating practices. ;)  :smoke:  

Stationmaster and beast will know exactly what I'm on about when I refer to Shunting into Forward Section!

Dear Reader,

may I be so bold as to encapsulate ER into a succint, yet illuminative, synthesis?

TRIVIA

MEDICAL STUFF

TRIVIA

COOL STUFF

MORE TRIVIA

OBLIGATORY ANIMAL PHOTOS

STILL MORE TRIVIA

MAJOR HUMAN CONDITION MILESTONE

TRAINS

DEEP MEANINGFUL PHILOSOPHY

SOME MORE COOL STUFF

TRIVIA YET AGAIN

CELEBRATIONS

RELATIVES (NICE)

RELATIVES (NASTY)

PLONKERS (NOT US)

TRIVIA

WEATHER

GOOD MORNING/EVENING/AFTERNOON/NIGHT

Have I missed anything?

iD

• Like 6

Morning, like the garage doors Ian...

17 here and overcast, dark and expecting some showers part of the day - expecting only 20 as a "high", DonB would definately be cold :) 

Mississippi is starting to receed, not before resulting in the coming weekend "Taste of Minnesota event" having to re-locate from an island in the river in downtown St. Paul to an out-state fairground. This is no small deal, a 4-day affair with food stands by the score and about 30 bands scheduled to play over the course of those 4-days! The local community are trying to determine how 200,000+ people (usual attendance when in the city here) will be handled in a location where the county fair usually draws 20,000, and that's considered "big"...

Hopefully it goes well for both the re-located event AND the town! Will become clearer Thursday afternoon when the "doors" open...

Really like "Murder in Paradise" also - even though I found it by accident last year on our local PBS station around 10PM one evening. Wasn't sure how many series there actually are.

I tend not to research these things if they aren't available streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime, as relying on PBS only broadcasts of something you discover and like only leads to disappointment - they're never consistent or even informative regarding UK programs they provide. If I called the local PBS folks they'd probably have no more clue than "the current shows are all we are aware of at present" <sigh>

Hmmm, well, that's my minutiae quotient for now - I'll gather up some other drivel as the day progresses and  bore inform everyone when I do :jester:  :O  :nono:

Have a good day, for us/US with a 4-day week, this afternoon and tomorrow morning I suppose should be considered HUMP day (24-hours)!!! Whatever...

• Like 2

Dear Reader,

may I be so bold as to encapsulate ER into a succint, yet illuminative, synthesis?

TRIVIA

MEDICAL STUFF

TRIVIA

COOL STUFF

MORE TRIVIA

OBLIGATORY ANIMAL PHOTOS

STILL MORE TRIVIA

TRAINS

SOME MORE COOL STUFF

TRIVIA YET AGAIN

CELEBRATIONS

RELATIVES (NICE)

RELATIVES (NASTY)

PLONKERS (NOT US)

TRIVIA

WEATHER

GOOD MORNING/EVENING/AFTERNOON/NIGHT

Have I missed anything?

iD

Beautiful melancholy

Bad puns

Andrew C's inventive insults

• Like 5

Dear Reader,

TRIVIA

MEDICAL STUFF

TRIVIA

COOL STUFF

MORE TRIVIA

OBLIGATORY ANIMAL PHOTOS

STILL MORE TRIVIA

TRAINS

SOME MORE COOL STUFF

TRIVIA YET AGAIN