The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

For information:

Reports of a closure of the A74 to Glasgow due to severe lorry/2 coaches accident.

(Received second hand so cannot vouch for details).

It was flagged up in a Facebook group, pretty bad going by the pics, one coach with the side ripped open.

My thoughts go out to Bob and his family...

I will be attending, singing in the choir, a funeral myself in an hour. The son of one of our choir members was killed in a traffic accident earlier this week in Malaysia where he lived/worked, so we are providing some support for the family at the memorial service today <sigh>

It always seems to be appreciated but it's not my preferred venue for the choir.

24 cloudy, thunderstorms rolling in, expecting 1-2 inches of rain today/tonight.

Will probably check in later, have a good weekend everyone

• RMweb Gold

I was working in the front garden when my neighbour came over. She asked if Robbie had got out. I didn't think so but then I noticed that Aditi had left both side access gates open. Becky (neighbour) said Tom (her husband) thought he had seen a dog that looked just like Robbie in their front garden. So off we set and he appeared at the end of the road (it is a cul de sac) crossing with his nose to the ground completely oblivious to his name being called. No harm done to dog, property or whatever he was tracking (fox probably). The clever thing is that Tom was in Kettering having his lunch break and had just used his phone to remotely view his CCTV to look at the weather at home!

• Like 13

In my days of commuting between Hayle and Manor Park (!!) I well remember being stopped out of course one Monday morning at Castle Cary.  The population of the up morning "suits" train was very unimpressed at being invaded by hundreds of muddy, sweaty and, quite frankly, smelly returnees from the aforesaid festival.  And their equally muddy etc tents / backpacks .....

The White Pass and Yukon designate a separate coach for the hikers who have spent several days on the Chilkoot Trail, to keep them away from the cruise ship passengers taking an excursion.
  • Like 4

Hear about your expected weather on the news, Ian. Good luck.

Here 83f to 86f over next 5 days we should get your storms on Tuesday. Rather nice, really.

Never ever been to a “Festival” - despite being a rock musician, I’m not stupid.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

I have just sat down to take a deep breath after a very busy day. Three cars have been making constant trips between the bungalow and the new house. Anything that would fit in a car has been taken round and already there are gaps starting to appear in the bungalow. A brief break at lunch time saw us put in an appearance at the school fete. I have done my bit by spending money on the barbeque and cake stall for our lunch. I even got the first chance to have a decent chat with the new headteacher.

The new house is looking great and it is just a shame we could not complete the move today and must wait until we can get the van on Monday. As far as the "railway" room is concerned - the room is a mere 5 inches too short to accomodate my Skaleby layout. Whilst this was a little bit disappointing at first it may be a blessing. Skaleby was my first attempt and has many faults that need correcting. As the baseboards were built by my late Grandad I do not want to scrap it as it has sentimental value. I have therefore decided to put the model into the brick built garage, which has power, and may progress the model in there. In time I aim to still do something in the third bedroom. I have my small exhibition model, Skaleby West, which I will put in there for now and I may build an extension.

Now is time to enjoy a takeaway pizza whilst watching the Brazil V Chile match.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Never ever been to a “Festival” - despite being a rock musician, I’m not stupid.

Deb and I spent a few hours at an Izzle of Widgit festival in 1975, but it was lovely and sunny and one saw a great deal of next week's washing (i.e. young ladies' intimate apparel). We came back to Portsmouth just as a large liner was coming up the Solent. I suggested a name, but was pooh-poohed by our mate, Simon. Then we saw the stack was blackened. The stern read "Queen Elizabeth II"  - she had famously had an "issue" at sea, was creeping back to be dealt with!

The voltage difference with the US has one redeeming feature - a US plug will not readily fit a UK socket. Those who manage to fry their kit must be trying really hard!

• RMweb Gold

I'll just post this here as it is a fairly low res phone piccy and not Photoshopped and doesn't add anything to the Heljan thread!

I think if anyone was worried that the Heljan light weathering was like some of the porridge chucking seen on eBay, have no fears, light is very, very light!

post-6719-0-06144300-1403978648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

Just back from the funeral - surreal in that Darlene the choir member/bereaved/mother lost her daughter to cancer three years ago, and today, as then, had the amazing fortitude to sing Ave Marie, SOLO, with a violoin accompaniment. I make no bones about being sensitive and moved by many things, and it's often hard to perform at the funerals,even though we all like to provide the comfort, BUT, I can't for a minute imagine being able to keep it together for a solo for ones child!

Far as festivals and stupid go - hey!! I went to the Isle of Wight back in the late 60's, there's STUPID for you! Even slept on the beach and endured the rain storm all one day - can't beat that for stupid really. At least now I'm clever enough to have an exit plan for bad weather, and know only to go when it's moderately crowded :jester:

Like the weathering on the Garratt, even though I'm not personally keen on the model, looks about the same level as my Bachmann 3MTT, light but noticeable and a result.

Weather is moving in, but so far just very windy (potential tornado weather brewing), overcast and very humid - here's hoping it's light...

Sublime to the chimpdiculous...

Before I went out for the day of political I managed to put my iPhone through the washing machine...

It spent the day in a bag of rice and now it's having a little rest in amongst a dozen bags of dessicating gel. It works, but water seems to have got under the screen (which at least gives me some faith in the washing machine, so there are some positives) and I don't know if that will dry out.

>sigh...< 

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise you could put phones through the washing machine.

My screen needs a clean so I will give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by BoD

I didn't realise you could put phones through the washing machine.

My screen needs a clean so I will give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip.

My watch looked far better after its inadvertant trip through the washing machine. The strap was lovely and soft too thanks to the fabric softner

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Long day due to rain... started our game at 1 o'clock - down to 47 overs a side, 2 hours 55 minutes later first inning completed..had a very nice tea (and naughty cakes) then second innings started... Team batting second knocked off the runs with 1.5 overs to spare courtesy of Billy Root...

So a long day but a great game. Tomorrow .. more cricket  but 40 overs a side starting at 11am... come on the sun!!

As my late grand mother was a "layer out" for a funeral director and also produced "wakes teas" i have always seen funerals as something which needs to be positive.... and I have requested "Oh I do like to be beside the sea side" as one of the musical interludes when I head out of town.. I know this isn't everyones cup of tea but it does help.

Baz

• Like 1

Not long back from a 490 mile round trip to Cornwall. Managed to fit in a visit to Okehampton station for a bite to eat and a look round. Then a mooch at St Blazey, a further quick explore of an old clay siding in the rain and then off to the local Model Railway exhibition at Lostwithiel. Finally a look around the remains of the Moorswater clay / cement line. To top it all, for once I wasn't doing the driving.

• Like 7

Evening folks,

Safely in the apartment in Porthleven and it's superb! Sun shining and 20 degrees in Helston at 6pm! Did however drive here through the storm that Rick (Gwiver) mentioned and it cut us down to less than 40MPH on several parts of the A30 dual carriageway for safety.

For Ian, the storm was heading to those music(?) lovers at Glastonbury and they were already ankle deep in mud from yesterday! What a small world - I saw Hendrix in the Isle of Widget!! The only others were Stones in the Park (sunny) and Rod Stewart and others at Knebworth (sunny) - not bad for a square old classical fan. Mind you I also saw Pink Floyd in Manchester and Genesis in Birmingham but both indoors - ears have suffered since!!

Good to hear the move is going ahead Andy - best of luck with the rest of it.

I'll try to look in from time to time as the week progresses,

Have a good weekend all, and be safe whatever you're doing,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

Oh, I was at the “Stones in the Park” and the “Blind Faith” - I didn’t count single day events as Festivals. I had lunch with both Jimi Hendrix (one of the finest people to grace this planet) and Chas Chandler in a caff in Tin Pan Alley in ’67. Seriously, Jimi was a true gentleman...don’t believe the Wild Man of Pop cobblers purveyed by the Daily Rags.

How popular music may have changed if he had lived? He wanted to work with full orchestration on symphonic type works - like “1983”.

I must add that I also disliked the late Ritchie Havens (musically). He seemed to only play Festivals....... Unfortunately he played at the Blind Faith do too...................

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

I never quite "got " Ritchie Havens either but . . . just caught Metallica at Glasto.   I thought they were rather good.

Never fancied Going myself but I might be tempted for Cambridge folk festival but health would probably suffer due to camping. . . .

P.S. Robert Plant was Damn Good . . .

Edited by Two_sugars

Pete, funny you should mention Jimi Hendrix. Earlier this week, I had dinner in a restaurant right beside the 'Jimi Hendrix shrine' on Union Street in Vancouver. The 'shrine' used to be part of another restaurant where his grandmother was a cook, and he spent quite a bit of time in the area as a kid and after he'd left the army.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Just got in having been to two celebrations tonight. The last one was just a few houses along so no driving back required.

I have to be up early as I've said I'll do the tidying up prior to the visitors arriving. 

Tony

Pete, funny you should mention Jimi Hendrix. Earlier this week, I had dinner in a restaurant right beside the 'Jimi Hendrix shrine' on Union Street in Vancouver. The 'shrine' used to be part of another restaurant where his grandmother was a cook, and he spent quite a bit of time in the area as a kid and after he'd left the army.

And his sister Janie bears little resemblance to him.

http://wsdg.com/Data/edithtml/events/Images/els-40th-photos/wsdg_electric-lady-studios-40th_39.jpg

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Festivals?  I was a smidgen too young to be allowed to the Izzle of Widget do.  I've managed one Glastonbury but my excuse is that my sister was performing.  On a more modest level and more local to what was then home Helston Music Fayre ran for several years and was always a good event; the year it didn't happen I organised (almost single-handed) a similar event in Hayle over two days which is still talked about to this day.  Mostly in terms of those who didn't go wishing they had!!!!!

Welcome to Sunday.  A misnomer if ever there was one here.  Wild winds and heavy rain still lashing Kanga-land and a quick check of the model earlier reveals a significant amount of "The wrong sort of leaf" needing removal before anything can run.  At least it's more or less dry.

Didn't win the $21 million lottery last night but tomorrow is end of financial year so I should get a decent tax rebate within the month.