The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

... alright then. my best Geordie Swedish chef's accent.

I bet I'm the first person ever to do the Swedish Chef in IKEA.

What was she like..? B)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello.

I've just finished what turned out to be a combined lunch and dinner. My trip to Chelmsford resulted in a car being purchased. I didn't buy a new car as anything I wanted wasn't available until September so tomorrow I'm collecting a vehicle that should stand up even better than the Scenic to whatever Robbie does. Heavy duty rubber flooring doesn't normally sell vehicles but spaniel owners would understand. I was quite surprised that it isn't necessary to get a bank draft anymore though the debit card people did ask to talk to me just to make sure I knew who I was. Sorted out insurance over the phone but the dealer gives you a weeks "free" insurance so you drive away if you wanted. I told my wife what I'd done when she got home. I assumed that when she said I should sort out the car she meant it. Fortunately she did!

I emailed a friend to ask her advice about cars and she answered my queries and then sent me a picture of her new "toy" for the non dog walking occasions. This turned out to be a Morgan. That would be far too sporty for me.

Tony

Earlier this afternoon I was invited to take a trip to IKEA. Well to be more accurate, my wallet was invited to IKEA and I was told I was needed to punch the PINs in.

Thought Ikea used screws to hold stuff together, not pins!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Five oktas and otherwise calm outside. It's likely we're going to a hardware store later on to try and get some stuff - other than that we'll have to see.

Have a nice day all! :)

Morning all! I know what my list is already. I'm tiling a kitchen, walls and floor this weekend. Not my favourite pastime by any stretch of the imagination. Wonder if I can catch bubonic plague in the next hour or so to get out of doing it?

On the plus side, just been woken by an early recorded delivery of 3 second-hand (not that you'd know it from their condition) GNER mk3 coaches to complete a short rake for behind my sound-fitted HST set.

Hello.

I've just finished what turned out to be a combined lunch and dinner. My trip to Chelmsford resulted in a car being purchased. I didn't buy a new car as anything I wanted wasn't available until September so tomorrow I'm collecting a vehicle that should stand up even better than the Scenic to whatever Robbie does. Heavy duty rubber flooring doesn't normally sell vehicles but spaniel owners would understand. I was quite surprised that it isn't necessary to get a bank draft anymore though the debit card people did ask to talk to me just to make sure I knew who I was. Sorted out insurance over the phone but the dealer gives you a weeks "free" insurance so you drive away if you wanted. I told my wife what I'd done when she got home. I assumed that when she said I should sort out the car she meant it. Fortunately she did!

I emailed a friend to ask her advice about cars and she answered my queries and then sent me a picture of her new "toy" for the non dog walking occasions. This turned out to be a Morgan. That would be far too sporty for me.

Tony

So what make/model of car did you buy? .........rolleyes.gif smile.gif

Just started to spit with rain, so the forecasters could be right for a change.

Morning All,

Quite a nice morning here - I've just come back from a cycle ride through the fields. It was nice to hear the skylarks and enjoy the early morning sun.

What car did you buy Tony? Rubber matting - not an old Landy is it?!? Good you got the insurance sorted though - I read an article a couple of weeks ago about a bloke who bought a stainless MINI for goodness know how much money, then found out that no insurance company would cover him. He was stuck with a "used" car, as he had driven it on the "free" insurance and with no way of insuring it! Another example of the old adage that there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Have a good day everyone - I'm off now to cut my hedge (groan...)

• RMweb Gold

So what make/model of car did you buy? .........rolleyes.gif smile.gif

Just started to spit with rain, so the forecasters could be right for a change.

I bought a Land Rover Freelander 2. Previous owner apparently was a kennels and cattery in Cambridge so that explains the extra heavy duty rubber flooring option! I got home without the sat nav. Aditi did say once that she would divorce me if a got a sat nav (she likes maps) but I'm excused as it is a "built in" one in this car. Matthew came with me and was very useful at holding bits of paper. Actually I was impressed as he got ready in about 10 minutes this morning as he came home on a late bus last night after an evening out (college is now on revision timetable) on Canvey. It seems to have been an evening of drinking in someone's back garden with visits to the kebab shop.

It is raining here as well now, this weekend's weather could adversely affect the Southend Air Show if thge low cloud persists.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Quite a nice morning here - I've just come back from a cycle ride through the fields. It was nice to hear the skylarks and enjoy the early morning sun.

What car did you buy Tony? Rubber matting - not an old Landy is it?!? Good you got the insurance sorted though - I read an article a couple of weeks ago about a bloke who bought a stainless MINI for goodness know how much money, then found out that no insurance company would cover him. He was stuck with a "used" car, as he had driven it on the "free" insurance and with no way of insuring it! Another example of the old adage that there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Have a good day everyone - I'm off now to cut my hedge (groan...)

The insurance was no problem and I used the 7 day certificate to tax it from 1st June when the current one runs out. I use AA insurance and they changed the company that provides the cover to one that gave me 77% no claims discount and groups the Freelander in a lower insurance group than the previous company.

When I was a teenager I used to go to the Land Rover factory to race slot cars. I never thought I'd own any kind of Land Rover though. My wife told her mother that I've bought an Indian car now that Land Rover are part of the Tata group.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Afternoon Evening All, Result. Spent a good few hours at Railex today while SWMBO explored Aylesbury. The place a has changed hugely since we lived in the area. Some very nice layouts on show and the normal dubious RMWeb crew manning various layouts and/or visiting. Now it's off to dinner cooked by my SiL. Only downside seems to be that we have normal bank holiday weather.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold
Only downside seems to be that we have normal bank holiday weather.

Not a downside for the workers amongst us...... ;) 13.5 hrs and 242 miles since 20.00 yesterday.

Oh and another call..bit fed up now.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely damp here today. I waited until it stopped raining before taking Robbie out but it started again as I got about half way. Fortunately the dog doesn't mind rain.

I need a new dog transport box as I've been advised that I won't be getting another car for a considerable while and the boot area needs protecting from soggy spaniel spray. To get some idea of size I got the dog crate out that we used until Robbie was house trained at night. As soon as he saw it, he ran round and round and dived into it although he hasn't seen it for 5 years! He certainly seemed happy. Pity this one won't fit in the car!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Have you ever sat down with SWMBO to discuss bedroom colour schemes?

In a word .........don't!

Especially after you've been in Ikea doing the Swedish chef......

Tennis has been on as a background to my day courtesy of SWMBO.

Reminds me of when I played as a little lad and how my game improved when I found out one could take the wooden stretcher off the racket.

• RMweb Gold

Have you ever sat down with SWMBO to discuss bedroom colour schemes?

In a word .........don't!

My wife was so embarrassed about how awful a colour she chose over 30 years ago was she is very happy for me to paint every wall magnolia.

Morning All,

Rather a dull morning here. Hopefully it will brighten up later on.

Interestingly enough - there is a Swedish Chef in our branch of Ikea :rolleyes:

Have a good day everyone