The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

This reminds me of a cricket match I played in in the 1980s in the North Lancs League.  One of our batsman went to hook a short-pitched ball and missed, so got hit on the head (no helmets in those days!).  When he got to his feet rather groggily, the opposition captain held his hand up and asked how many fingers the injured batsman could see.  After a short while, he replied - "Six", to which the opposition captain said "He's OK!" - he actually had 5 fingers and his thumb.  The rest of us fell about laughing at the 'trick' he had just played on our batsman.

I bet he was good in the slips. :jester:

Two totally unrelated items - taking a break from writing documentation, so decided to bore put to sleep  be informative;

1) Mrs, having years ago discovered the "electric kettle" - she's not a Brit but from the US and they haven't seemed to get the electric kettle bit until fairly recently, tending to boil water in a pan on the stove!!! - anyway, she uses a cup (US measures are wonderful aren't they :) ) of white vinegar boiled in the kettle to clean it. Does a great job. We do tend to have softer water over here in general, IMHO, mostly because the slightest sign of hard water has one rushing to install a water softener!!!

2) So see if anyone can explain this oddity! When the Pres. is "on the move" on major roads, they turn OFF all the traffic webcams on that section???

It's not like anyone is NOT going to know where he is, I mean, they close the roads for at LEAST 30 minutes before he travels on any of them, AND, there are more State Pratrol, Sheriff and local Police cars in evidence at all the entrances/intersections than you can image.

Not like anyone's going to say "hmm, wonder who is in the BIG BLACK SUV in the middle of that convoy of all those cop cars charging up the freeway ALONE with all their lights on - can't possibly be the President now, can it???"

Not exactly inconspicuous, and together with the helicopter chase "car", hardly like no-one is going to notice :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Well, there's my lunchtime offering to the ER community :stinker:  :beee:

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold

It's a good thing Sherry has had her lifetime's fill of cruises. The prospect of having to dress formally on holiday is implausible. Why do people pay good money do it?

I really never intended to go on a cruise holiday. We usually arranged everything ourself and stayed in places that for some reason didn't seem to have too many other British holidaymakers. A couple of years ago I wasn't well enough to do our motoring holiday and I didn't feel up to flying so off we went on a cruise round the Med. Anyone who doesn't want to get involved with the formal evening meals can always go to the cafeteria where I think the dress code is "wear some clothes". Travelling on a cruise ship at least lets you decide that such and such a destination was interesting but perhaps not worth another longer visit. For instance I think I've seen enough of the Greek Islands but I'd possibly go back to Croatia.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Would that happen to be the Heljan LMS Garratt?

Yes, except mine will be the version in British Railways lightly weathered condition. A Garratt was one of those locos I always wanted. Now I'll need some more coal wagons!

• Like 2

He doesn’t ride in the BIG BLACK SUV. That contains a fold out (the Roof) Vulcan Minigun (Gatlin Gun) in 5.56mm calibre.

Best, Pete.

Actually I think they mount John Boehner (House Speaker) there as a decoy :)

I always assumed 110v was a bad start.

It actually isn't - I've had an electric kettle since I moved here, you could (dunno anymore) get Swan 110v ones and they worked quite handily. Many more available now as they became somewhat trendy (along with tea) a while back.

Bear in mind that although 110v, we do have 15AMP circuits as a household outlet standard, so there's plenty of power to drive a kettle, just not two or three at the same time on the same circuit  :O Then again, I have the same problem with the Mrs running the hair dryer when "everything else" is running and wondering why the breaker trips! :scratchhead:

Edited by Ian Abel

MY kettle runs off the same outlet as the toaster - plenty of trips until I got a new toaster. The new toaster has 4 slots and is capable of toasting Bagels, about twice the size of the old one, yet, no more trips....

HE rides in one of the armoured Caddys but usually a different slot in the convoy for each move.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Coffee with Sheena went well. When I arrived I found her in the lane, cutting the grass verge - with a real scythe. It looked new-ish, but was deffo the genuine Grim Reaper type. Greenies do it differently. Builder Jon was there fitting her new shutters, which will add to the visual impact of a not-very-pretty property. I'm not sure it will sell very quickly - nothing else seems to be moving around here.

Jon has just delivered 3 pieces of timber. 260 cm long,12 cm square - and they do weigh a bit, being oak. £25 each seemed a good price to me. They will be the intermediate uprights for the garage door, which we hope to erect Monday.

Managed a good strim today, following mowing earlier this week, so things are a bit tidier. We had another downpour, with a few claps of thunder, earlier this afternoon, which sent me back indoors, but then the sun reappeared and strimming was on again.

It's a good thing Sherry has had her lifetime's fill of cruises. The prospect of having to dress formally on holiday is implausible. Why do people pay good money do it?

That oak sounds remarkably cheap Ian, the single piece I bought for a mantelpiece 7 years ago was about the same length but roughly 9"x3" and that cost £110 (cash).

Incidentally my idea of 'dressing for dinner' whilst on a sea trip is to put on a clean shirt and possibly a change of trousers if it's a more important night - I don't even take a tie with me.

• Like 4

My kettle runs off the same outlet as the toaster - plenty of trips until I got a new toaster.

Interesting, Pete. The BC electrical code specifies that, in a kitchen, the two outlets in the same receptacle have to be on different circuits. A bit counter-intuitive - you might think you're avoiding an overload by plugging into two separate receptacles, whereas you're actually possibly going to cause one.

White oak in France is very reasonable. I've used pieces for firewood that would cost quids at South London Hardwoods... We had a huge beam put in - about 5m long and 30x30cm - and it cost about €250 (iirc). From the man in the next village who runs a 36" circular saw, unguarded, whilst blotto. Which is every afternoon...

American electrical goods - the difference between 110v and 230v doesn't seem to be well understood. No2 son's wife visited the UK and tried to use her hairdryer on our mains. Melted.

Interesting, Pete. The BC electrical code specifies that, in a kitchen, the two outlets in the same receptacle have to be on different circuits. A bit counter-intuitive - you might think you're avoiding an overload by plugging into two separate receptacles, whereas you're actually possibly going to cause one.

They've updated the code in MN now so that pretty much any/every outlet in p*iss*ing distance (literally it seems!!) of kitchen areas that are damp/wet or any similar bathroom areas is on a GFCI. Other than the what I'd call "standard loading sensibility" there isn't yet any requirement for separate circuits. You ARE supposed to have outlets separated from lighting and ventilation fan circuits now though, and the fan circuits are "preferred" to be GFCI also! Gone are the days when you can liberally shove forks in outlet for fun, eh! :jester:

White oak in France is very reasonable. I've used pieces for firewood that would cost quids at South London Hardwoods... We had a huge beam put in - about 5m long and 30x30cm - and it cost about €250 (iirc). From the man in the next village who runs a 36" circular saw, unguarded, whilst blotto. Which is every afternoon...

American electrical goods - the difference between 110v and 230v doesn't seem to be well understood. No2 son's wife visited the UK and tried to use her hairdryer on our mains. Melted.

Seems much of the US stuff now (probably in deference to the issue mentioned above) is made as dual voltage - besides the fact it makes the manufacturing/shipping destination easier for a single product build from China/Taiwan/<insert preferred outsourced manufacturing location here>, I'm guessing one too many 110v residents did just that and were "surprised"!

Then again, whist not so drammatic you could always try using a 240v appliance on the 110v here and wonder why you can't get your hair to dry! LOLOLOLOL

• Like 4

Absolutely excellent and appropriate weapon in an urban area!

Depends on what you are using it against.... No use being namby - pamby when you get right down to it. You ever seen the SAS take out a truck with a suspected nuclear device inside?

Needful things when your back is against the wall are often ugly, alas.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine to start the day but the forecast is for a fair amount of rain.

Off to Suffolk this morning with my sister & BiL for my Uncle's funeral so not really looking forward to that. FIrst time I've ever been to one on a Saturday. I'm driving so at least I've got something to occupy me. (I hate being a passenger)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Thinking of you, Bob. I hope everything'll go as well as it can under such circumstances...

Quite a busy week coming up, so some preparations will need to be made. One day, I'd like to be able to do my lesson plans with just a few keywords on a slip of paper...