The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ruddy text speak, don't understand a word of it.

Giid mirnung all.

L8r m8.

Agreed, when my son texts me, I always have to phone him back to find out what on earth he's going on about... As well as French and Spanish, he's obviously learning how to speak sh*te at school.

Sunbathing?

I’m not totally stupid but the BBC may be - the weather for this afternoon was Sun and Rain for Benfleet(!) It  now says torrential downpours....

Best, Pete.

That's a worry. Another trip to Wickes in Norwich is needed to load up the van with plasterboard. Although only a short hop from store to car park, it takes me a while to load it all. I could do without arriving home with a van full of soggy mush.

Morning from a cloudy view over Borough Market Junction

Good luck with the move Andy, my tip (which you're getting whether you want it or not) is to unpack as quickly as you can - otherwise you end up with a garage or attic full of boxes you haven't got round to for an age.

Good morning all - made it to soggy Somerset safely ( what did I expect with Glastonbury on!).

Brief post today as daughter has several things planned for us but have to say to Ian, bought my new PC less than two years ago and got cloud for free but I much prefer a 64G memory stick. Guess you're wearing a smile right now with such a 'VIP' visitor. Hope you are both enjoying!

Really pleased that the drive didn't trouble me yesterday (furthest I'd gone for nearly a year is Colchester) so it's onward to Cornwall on Saturday.

Can I say, congratulations and commiserations as appropriate and enjoy to those with holiday plans. I'll try to look in later!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Warm but dismal at the moment, forecast for rain later, "possibly thundery".

I find the BBC weather a source of amusement, the TV, radio and website often have different forecasts for the same area, so I pick the one I like best.

Have a good day all.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a cloudy view over Borough Market Junction

Good luck with the move Andy, my tip (which you're getting whether you want it or not) is to unpack as quickly as you can - otherwise you end up with a garage or attic full of boxes you haven't got round to for an age.

Agree. Some of the removals boxes in my big barn are about to celebrate their 10th anniversary of being there. And as for the contents....

Good to note NHN is already on his travels. Hopefully some fresh air & new scenery will lift the cloud of recent times.

Can report Sherry is safely ensconced in France - but with Hubbie for the next 10 days in their cabin on a picturesque site in the Mayenne. Pity not to use it having bought it! I expect to collect her Monday week, although have indicated that date could come forward if she wished....

We had quite a thunderstorm late afternoon, with torrential rain, but as it was the first rain for several weeks it was welcome - and has largely disappeared into a grateful soil. That would be good, but more of the same is on the cards, which is less so.

Coffee chez Sheena shortly. Will it rain on me in either direction?

Hope Friday winds up your week in satisfactory fashion.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

the TV, radio and website often have different forecasts for the same area, so I pick the one I like best.

Sounds like our cat.  If the weather isn't to his liking when he puts his nose out of the back door flap he'll go to the front door and ask to be let out there instead ......... 

• Like 1

A friend is moving his 00 layout from a huge shed to a larger version.

I will be helping as we are the only two people locally with any modelling interests!

(He also has a very complicated N layout which is always of interest).

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A friend is moving his 00 layout from a huge shed to a larger version.

I will be helping as we are the only two people locally with any modelling interests!

(He also has a very complicated N layout which is always of interest).

What is he doing with his old shed? :senile:  :mail:

• RMweb Premium

"Aaaargh!" moments! I'm having those daily this week. I've just put the recycling out. It included a piece of paper with, highlighted, the requirement for Martyn to go to school in sports kit today. Needless to say he hasn't. Fortunately there's a pool of spare kit at the school, but I still feel bad about forgetting. One could say he should have remembered, but he hates sport/PE and probably wiped it from his memory.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Yesterday was sunshine and rain, the latter running about 7 hours early according to Exeter seaweed.  But the lawn and some other grass was mown, some mo hardy work was done with the strimmer and all the dead plant life along the gutter at the side of the road was set afire before the rain got it going again - one of the neighbours was most impressed by that last bit.

The next door neighbour appears to be moving to large pantechnicons their yesterday packing stuff into huge crates although work was delayed as one of the lorries went very demic.  They even had a Transit van turn up to deliver extra packing material; just the one pantechnicon this morning.  Not sure what will happen next as no 'For Sale' sign although details lurked on the 'net from when they put it up for sale 2 years ago.  It will be interesting to see if it has been sold and for how much - it was advertised at £1.2 million last time!  I hope it says empty for a week or two then I can get round and attack various shrubs which aren't doing my fence much good.

And as it's Friday you can guess where we're heading today - probably Reading as I believe the fillies rowing is on this weekend.  Have a  good day one & all.

Edit to add PS - That Martyn is obviously a very bright lad

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

Morning all,

Yesterday was sunshine and rain, the latter running about 7 hours early according to Exeter seaweed.  But the lawn and some other grass was mown, some mo hardy work was done with the strimmer and all the dead plant life along the gutter at the side of the road was set afire before the rain got it going again - one of the neighbours was most impressed by that last bit.

The next door neighbour appears to be moving to large pantechnicons their yesterday packing stuff into huge crates although work was delayed as one of the lorries went very demic.  They even had a Transit van turn up to deliver extra packing material; just the one pantechnicon this morning.  Not sure what will happen next as no 'For Sale' sign although details lurked on the 'net from when they put it up for sale 2 years ago.  It will be interesting to see if it has been sold and for how much - it was advertised at £1.2 million last time!  I hope it says empty for a week or two then I can get round and attack various shrubs which aren't doing my fence much good.

And as it's Friday you can guess where we're heading today - probably Reading as I believe the fillies rowing is on this weekend.  Have a  good day one & all.

Edit to add PS - That Martyn is obviously a very bright lad

Pantechnicon is one of my favourite words, so thank you for that Mike. Not sure what demic is though. Does that mean you're a millionaire then?

Is that row as in cow or row as in slow? I think the former could be a good spectator sport.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Pantechnicon is one of my favourite words, so thank you for that Mike. Not sure what demic is though. Does that mean you're a millionaire then?

Is that row as in cow or row as in slow? I think the former could be a good spectator sport.

Ed

demic = bust / dilapidated / knackered !

e.g. "I was supposed to work the Trowse stone this morning but the 66 was a demic"

• RMweb Premium

Re kettle de-scaling. It's also supposed to make the heater element last longer, prolonging the life of the product. My mother's highly scaled-up kettle seems to deliver flecks of scale into each cuppa she brews. Yuk.

As for unpacking following a move we've got many boxes of academic research papers stored in boxes in the loft - 13 years an unread! I should probably bin them but then only yesterday someone contacted me asking for info about an RAF unit in 1944. The info is probably in my loft!

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Steady drizzle in this part of West Yorkshire with the sky resembling a grey card.

Hoping it clears up later although the latest forecast isn't optimistic.  Which is a shame as it will spoil the late afternoon/evening entertainment as in the company of Mrs 4630 I'll be at Headingly for this;

http://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/2715/natwest-t20-blast-matchday-guide-yorkshire-v-lancashire

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

But kettles are so cheap nowadays most people just chuck the old one out and buy a new one. In fact my kettle is just about six months old, my old one still worked but the filter that was supposed to stop bits of scale getting out disintegrated, I use Oust which is very effective at descaling. I remember when my grandmother lived in Northumberland Heath near Erith where the water was extremely hard having to replace kettles every few months.

Re kettle de-scaling. It's also supposed to make the heater element last longer, prolonging the life of the product. My mother's highly scaled-up kettle seems to deliver flecks of scale into each cuppa she brews. Yuk.

As for unpacking following a move we've got many boxes of academic research papers stored in boxes in the loft - 13 years an unread! I should probably bin them but then only yesterday someone contacted me asking for info about an RAF unit in 1944. The info is probably in my loft!

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

We live in a very hard water area and filter all the water we put in the kettle and the coffee maker (the previous coffee maker furred up and stopped working because we didn't do this). One of my wife's friends was very impressed at how we'd managed to keep the limescale off the outside of the kettle, when she'd struggled with her own of the same make. It was then my wife admitted we'd bought a new one!

• Like 1