The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Here's a young starling getting breakfast this morning.

attachicon.gifDASBIRD0529.jpg

Have a good day all.

You may remember me asking you where you got the feeding station from a couple of weeks ago. I duly bought one and placed it in the garden.

Now I am feeding pigeons, not getting any of the birds your feeder seems to attract :(

Regards,

Dave

What a beautiful little girl! and I'm glad to see that her tail's not docked.

It seems that in the UK the rules have changed - only working dogs can have their tail docked.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 4

My new (second hand) laptop keeps telling me to backup on the cloud. No way! Idont trust the long term reliability or trustworthiness of the cloud.

The rules about docking dogs tails seem to be yery liberal judging by the number of pets I see walking around. They should dock the owners.

Morning from sunny Newhall

Laurence

• Like 1

Morning Gentles All!

Well, that strange orange ball is still in the sky over Slapding, though looking at the forecast probably for the last time for about a week!  Oh dear, that's a shame I may have to do some modelling instead of Gardening, Bricklaying, Clay Oven building, etc., etc........................

Time for a spin on the bike while the sun shines, haven't quite finished re-building my 1947 SUN Manxman so I think it'll be the Bianchi today.  Though as Jeeves said to Bertie Wooster about one of his outfits, "It's a trifle sudden Sir, if I may say so......"  Still at least they've no excuse not to see me coming!

post-312-0-05014800-1403781823_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 14

Hello all.

Very late to the keyboard today.

Woken up at 4am by acid reflux. Hate it, but then I shouldn't eat fish and chips for supper and go to sleep on my stomach...

Then off for diabetic eye test, which means The Drops to dilate the pupils. Always on the sunny days! So a bit bleary eyed (wearing off now) and slightly sinusy - always does that to me. I'm expecting to have some degradation reported, but it doesn't seem too bad. Unlike some on here, at least it's my own fault.

Then I've got to do stuff. 

Oh - and yesterday I spent an hour looking for my fountain pen. Hunted high and low. Couldn't find the damned thing anywhere. Then this morning I found it - in the phone pocket of my laptop bag. Go, as one might say, figure...

Sitting on the quayside about to embark for Caen, aboard 'Mont St. Michel'. I've been absent from here due to extenuating circumstances ie tying up loose ends before leaving.

I hope those with celebrations enjoy them to the full and those with illness or sadness in their lives will see a brighter dawn soon.

Au revoir!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 5

Morning - 17 going for 28 here, gorgeous sunny day, clear skies and very pleasant - perfect welcome for the "Pres", who'll arrive around lunch time. The park area he is giving a "town hall" meeting at, is already being closed down/secured, four hours at least before his arrival.

I'm sure I'll get beaten up for this, BUT, quick model railway question (rather not start a thread for something this simple!), can someone tell me the best adhesive to attach Hornby Bulleid brake rodding and front steps? I've tried EVERYTHING (stupid-glue, plastic-weld) and they STILL fall off/fail to secure <sigh>

Mrs. birthday today, so we're off to a nice dinner tonight and listening to some Jazz, so long as President Obama doesn't "get in the way", the place we're going is in St. Paul, near where he'll be staying overnight!

Enjoy Thursday everyone, safe trips/travels to those on voyages of various natures...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I came back home for a few minutes to collect some change for the hospital car park. More blood tests were required and I'm going to be referred to an endocrinologist (wow. I spelt that without the spellchecker!) as my GP suspects thyroid disease.

I was in and out of the hospital so quickly the car parking was free so my pile of change wasn't needed.

I was also told to take some tablets and get more sun to attempt to deal with my low(ish) levels of vitamin D, walking the dog while wearing shorts and a T-shirt was the doctor's advice.

Tony

Sitting on the quayside about to embark for Caen, aboard 'Mont St. Michel'. I've been absent from here due to extenuating circumstances ie tying up loose ends before leaving.

I've seen Mont St. Michel. It looks as steady as a rock but not a very fast sailer. 

Best wishes for the future to Sherry and Ian.

• RMweb Gold

You may remember me asking you where you got the feeding station from a couple of weeks ago. I duly bought one and placed it in the garden.

Now I am feeding pigeons, not getting any of the birds your feeder seems to attract :(

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Try some fat/suet balls and sunflower hearts - they love them.

cheers,

Mont St Michel, not bird feeder...

They hang about for ages waiting to dock, especially at night. It's a real slowcoach - the timetable is too easy!

It's a comfortable ship, but the cabins can get claustrophobic and the bars/restaurants quite full in summer - can be almost empty in winter.

The buffet breakfast (when they do it) is good.

I bet the journey will drag! But best wishes, both, grab the happies while you can.

Edited by Smiffy2

- so I then asked why it had been given to me in a lead shielded syringe, didn't get a sensible answer to that bit.

The individual patient exposure is minimal, but for the techs it would be repeated exposure and exposure to radiation has a cumulative effect.

And during any radiology assessment you should also get a lead jockstrap (or equivelant) to protect your nadgers/ovaries

• RMweb Gold

The individual patient exposure is minimal, but for the techs it would be repeated exposure and exposure to radiation has a cumulative effect.

Cough - I already said that ! :beee: :)

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

I haven't posted for a couple of days as I've been really busy. 

Today we managed to sort out the supposedly "hacked" email. A very helpful chap at BT said that it was their fault as they had failed to migrate the email account from Yahoo properly. The cheery news is that they messed up the first one they tried but haven't had a got at the rest yet. Deep joy!

Yesterday I was leading the School Science Club session and we had a session on how protective clothing works, with clothing samples from the national archive for the children to work with. After much egging on I donned an Aircrew Respirator (Mk5) and quite a few of them did also. They quickly began to appreciate how hot and sweaty it is. The questions were coming thick and fast, including "How long do you have to wear it for?" Well, 2 days and 2 nights was how long I'd managed in full flying gear; I seem to remember vowing never to don one of those ever again. The children seemed quite impressed by this and even my own two reckoned I must have been quite tough once upon a time. Other clothing was a U2 pressure suit and helmet as an example of astronaut clothing, anti-g and early examples of air ventilated suits and liquid cooled suits. The children were fascinated that the space and moon walks would have been impossible without these British inventions - more so as they were invented just up the road.

It also transpired that one of my helpers in the session had commanded the submarine used in escape trials back in the 80s, just about the same time I was involved in them.  And later a distant memory recalled his name on the trials documentation from nearly 30 years ago.  Small world! 

School sports day today and I reluctantly joined the "dad's race", coming 2nd in the morning and, ermmm, furthest from first in the afternoon.

Anyway, hope that you are all well and muddling along. Andy         

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

get more sun to attempt to deal with my low(ish) levels of vitamin D, walking the dog while wearing shorts and a T-shirt was the doctor's advice.

Tony

I don't think Robbie will enjoy wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

• RMweb Premium

Morning from the view over Borough Market Junction - hazy cloud today.

Looking at old maps it is amazing how much the area has changed - our office is named after the wharf that was here - Cottons Wharf - and Hays Galleria is of course just along the road. Next to London Bridge is the original site of St Olave's School (as in the SR V Class) now in Orpington and there was a brewery nearby too. And it is still changing with the demoluition of Southwark Towers, the building of the Shard the London Bridge Quarter building, the expansion of More London and the strange shaped building that houses the London Assembly, and of course the London Bridge redevelopment itself. Watching the new viaduct over Borough Market go in has been a distraction from work, and welcome too!

I have a book called 'London's Lost Riverscape' which has a photograph of Cottons Wharf taken in 1937. The PLA sent a photographer to photograph the Thames riverside (both sides) from London Bridge to Greenwich, taking photographs from the opposite bank, each photograph connecting with the next to form a montage. These were published in the above mentioned book. If you can find a copy its well worth studying. There is no sign of an ISBN number, only the reference CN1481, the book was published in 1988 by Guild Publishing, authors Chris Elmers and Alex Werner.