The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all.

Back in Blighty - left Normandy at 9.30, back home by 4.30. Reasonable journey apart from some serious twatting about on the M20.

Hope everyone had a good day, and all went well (or as well as possible) for Neil.

Now back to trying to remember where everything is here, and getting out my new Sabatier knives. But a Chinese çe soit, je pense.

>edit<

Just opened the mail. £455 for road tax! What? I'm driving on it, not buying it!

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Gold

Speeches at weddings can be are a mine field.

Indeed. I was at one wedding where the couple were each on their third marriage. The best man had carefully folded up his speech notes with talcum powder in the folds so that when he unfolded them there was a cloud of dust. He promptly apologised and said that as he had done OK with this speech on the previous two occasions he might as well use it again.

I myself was best man for a friend who was marrying a girl very much younger than himself. I was very tempted to reassure his new mother in law and suggest that she think of it as not so much losing a daughter as gaining a brother. I was spared from that temptation by the groom. As I was staying with him the night before the wedding he handed me a screwdriver and asked me to assemble the flat pack double bed which had been delivered that morning, and was intended to be the marital bed...............

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Which of the following would you get if you had to pick just one, folks?

MRCE Dispolok 189 805 in the guise of PKP Cargo with Polish-style running number EU45-805

DB Schenker 189 with Netherlands package and no knuckle couplers to form a mixed pair with a knuckle-couplered loco (as in the linked photo)

• Like 2

Eloping seems a better idea................does Gretna Green still function?

Best, Pete.

It most certainly does, and Coldstream performed the same function in past times - though if it still does, I 'm not sure - I passed thru Gretna on the way back Northwards last Sunday - much touristy-fied nowadays with "factory  outlets" etc - it could possibly gain a pair of customs posts, one each side of the road, after September - although my sense is that it won't!

Edited by shortliner

Eloping seems a better idea................does Gretna Green still function?

Best, Pete.

We eloped in a different way in 1971 as O/H was working for GM & had the chance of a year in The States. To qualify for staying there longer than my Visitor's Visa would allow, getting married there seemed like a plan so we were wed in Holly, Michigan. This also enabled me to delay my probationary year in teaching.

Nearly 43 years later, we are divorcing and I look forward to marrying a regular contributor to this site. (see post #66707) And, yes, come the day, speeches will be made .......!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 7

My Mum used to say "as dim as a Toc H lamp". Does that mean anything to anyone?

Ed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toc_H

The symbol for Toc H was, IIRC, a lamp of the style used by Aladdin - you know the one that looked similar to an old fashioned teapot with a spout. Apparently they didn't provide much light.

Cheers,

Dave

Just got back from Spain and a journey from Gatwick that took over two and a half hours, rather than 45 mins.  Every road was just madness.  No doubt I'll catch up with everything over the weekend, but great to be home.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm back from Leicester. A couple of hold ups there and back near Cambridge but no scary moments driving today. I even managed to park close to Matthew's house. I did notice what a good job he had made of the cleaning. He chatted all the way home so amongst other things I now know a lot more about the state of English football, various domestic political matters and the Middle East!

I can't really say anything about Aditi's meeting yet (secret squirrel mode on)but she is more than content with the outcome.(secret squirrel mode off)  She then had a nice visit to her old college and met lots of former colleagues many of whom are retiring this year. Aditi started there in 1975 and was there for 33 years so many people were surprised she moved on when she did. Both colleges are ceasing teaching A levels this year so there are lots of changes.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As the insults thing seems to be running and running heres a couple of appraisal comments I've felt like using

When this man is at work his village is missing its idiot

This man sets himself very low standards and consistently fails to achieve them.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I look forward to marrying a regular contributor to this site. (see post #66707) And, yes, come the day, speeches will be made .......!

I've been effing told! Next she'll be wanting a wedding dress......

DD - I have an ancien (regime) laptop with a fairly old version of Windows and a dodgy battery (age related deficiency but works ok off the mains) and it will do a bit of web browsing but fairly basically.  Totally out of date on anti-virus alas but free to a good home.

That's very generous, Mike - I'll wait for Debs to react if she's able!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Great day at the test today. Very warm and sunny. Great company..and while it cost £4 a pint it did quench the thirst.

Off to Sheffield tomorrow so hope it stays warm.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Baz

• Like 1

Good evening all. So late on parade today it is almost Saturday! The day has been non-stop. The student finishes next week so today has been filled with observations and file checks as well as a meeting to plan her timetable for the final week. I went up to the in-laws for tea tonight so that I could see Sarah and Amber for a short time. Amber's "Daddy. Daddy, I missed you Daddy" greeting was very welcome.

Sadly I could not pass any major news to Sarah about the new house. Today, not surprisingly, has brought no news from the builders or solicitors to suggest when the move date will be. A brief visit to the house today has, at least, seen evidence of some of the snagging jobs having been completed. I understand, from our neighbour, that the NHBC inspector has visited so I assume that things have passed.

Tonight I am quite excited. I am off to the G.C exhibition tomorrow and have the chance to help out with operating Glen Gillie. I can't wait - this is one of my favourite exhibition layouts. Hopefully there will be chance to view the show too.

Evening all,

Good to hear how happy Aditi was this evening - assume that the outcome of the meeting was a positive one. That, along with a couple of posts from AndyP showing that he seems to be showing signs of improvement, means I can have the nip and sleep happily tonight. Topped with the humorous and easy relationship that is now obvious between Ian and Sherry!

Dom, can't really choose as there doesn't appear to be any steam emanating from either - assume you're feeling better now?

Debs, hope you get sorted soon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from Spain and a journey from Gatwick that took over two and a half hours, rather than 45 mins.  Every road was just madness.  No doubt I'll catch up with everything over the weekend, but great to be home.

Crrikey Gordon - we got from Gatwick (off a connection from Newhaven/Lewes) to our local station in less time than that on Monday!