The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

18.5 knots down the channel in a big ship - brave officer in charge of that!

Here you go Neil - a bit over 51,000 tonnes dwt (exact figures vary on the 'net) and 262.07m x 32.3m, reportedly capable of 24 knots and kicking up a good bow wave but not a bad looker for a container ship and clearly in a hurry to get to Alexandria and to pass the APL vessel in the background (bound for Southampton).  Radar + AIS are so very useful at sea ;)   And maybe his port of registration tells its own story?  (n.b. pics taken with a 300mm telephoto lens but still fairly close).

PS - as usual click the pics to enlarge

post-6859-0-04217300-1403021033_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-05324800-1403021062_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-52942000-1403021094_thumb.jpg

And while all was busy in the westbound shipping lane this is the situation 16 minutes after the Cap Harrisson overtook us - someone not only heading east but doing so in a small craft  :O   Perhaps his ensign says it all?  (He was in fact crossing the westbound lane but he wasn't doing so correctly and sailed up it in the wrong direction for several miles.)

post-6859-0-54122400-1403021133_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-16332300-1403021189_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6

In full sopport of Aditi, I'm sure the bozos  prats  HR management will wriggle some more but can't help but feeling Aditi has right and correct procedures on her side, thumbs up.

Rather late for me today, just work to deal with early, before I had a chance to read/write.

Nowt much here, last night was light rain instead of the horrendous thunderstorms predicted, now 22 heading for 30.

Weather discussions are always an amusement, for the varied considerations of what is "polar" and "hot", etc. The high today for us is seasonally normal to a degree or two high, will be the same or somewhat warmer over the next 6 weeks, if it remains normal. With a breeze and low humidity it's OK, though I don't much care for hot weather. Once we start getting higher humidity it becomes far less bearable. Then again, with Don considering 16 "polar" I'll avoid thinking about our winter weather a little longer, since -16 is more what we're looking at in probably less than 6 months!

Have a good day everyone...

Good evening all and my best wishes to "Football Special".

Another productive day at work as I continue to make progress with the stuff for the headteacher's leaving gift. I can now see light at the end of the tunnel.  This week sees me undertaking the statutory phonics test for the Year 1 children (another of Gove's bright ideas!) Interesting how this year's test does not include the pass mark, which needs to be accessed from a website on June 30th. Call me cynical, but I wonder if the paas mark will depend on what Gove is trying to prove this year. Compared to last year's test it seems slightly more difficult although most of those I have tested have achieved the pass mark from last year!

Sarah remains away at her mum's but is due back later today or possibly tomorrow so that we can attend the new house welcome meeting together. She seemed a little "put out" when she found out, via Facebook, I had been at the pub last night (even though I was supporting a friend whose mum is in hospital). The phrase "you could have told me" arrived by text earlier in the day!! Oh well never mind!

At least I can give her some good news. There was an army of workers at the new house when I passed this morning. The solicitors have also contacted me to request the transfer of funds so things are getting very close!

• Like 3

Good evening all,  

talking about temperatures , here first thing this morning the temperature was only 22C   House maid  was complaining about how cold it was!  Mind you I dont think it's been over 28c today.....positively chilly!  

This evening one of the neigbours had his  lawn trimmer out.  (Not many burgers on it yet though!) 

Try and have a good evening folks, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-23117000-1403027605.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. This day has been the epitome of a roller coaster, so I suppose I earned the right to unwind with a sip of whisky...

And regale myself with this set:

wandt7jbp.jpg

There'll be a Railpool class 186 joining the line-up in the upper tube in the not-so-distant future.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Love that last picture Colin.

Nice idea, well executed.

Unless of course there was actually .........

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

As one or two of you have commented on my beer consumption during my walk I thought a few recommendations might be welcome. Norfolk is so well served by small and micro breweries producing superb products (almost as numerous as churches and pubs)

On Friday lunchtime in the Stag at West Acre http://www.westacrestag.co.uk/ I tried a very nice pint from a brewery that's new to me - the Star Brewery from Lincolnshire with a world cup special " three Lions" (3.7 abv) https://www.facebook.com/StarBrewingCompany

I also had the joys of an overnight in the Bull Inn at Litcham  http://litchambull.co.uk/ which has a rather natty storage system allowing it to serve up to 20 real ales, Highlights being:

another World Cup special from a brewery that has established itself as one of my real faves over the last couple of years - Wolf  - with its Brazilian Wolf (4.2 abv)(http://www.yourround.co.uk/Brewer/Attleborough/Wolf/Beer/Brazilian_Wolf/NR17_2LD.aspx   Frankly, I would not wish to shave or wax the nether regions of the average lupus, so I'm glad they did it for me

And another new brewery to me, the  Beeston Brewery http://www.beestonbrewery.com/ with their Village Life (4.8 abv)

The following lunchtime in the Swan, Gressenhall  http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thegoodpubguide.co.uk%2Fpub%2Fview%2FSwan-NR20-4DU&ei=YpagU5T0KKHA7Aa4qYCICg&usg=AFQjCNHRmmz7FJG3gtTvDx7bmQKeQB7H0A&bvm=bv.68911936,d.ZGU I was able to catch up with another Beeston product which the staff at the Bull had told me about, "Worth The Wait" (4.2 abv)  - it was!

Monday lunchtime was the absolutely smashing Lacons Legacy http://www.lacons.co.uk/permanent-ales  served the best way possible - straight from the barrel at Darby's freehouse in Swanton Morley.

Later that day at the Bridge Inn, Lenwade  http://www.bridgeinnlenwade.co.uk/whats_on.php I tried a pint which although not locally brewed was very nice indeed Dana Pale Ale (5.0 abv) from the Cottage Brewing Company http://www.yourround.co.uk/Brewer/Lovington/Cottage_Brewing_Company/Beer/Dana_Pale_Ale/BA7_7PS.aspx

Today at the Red Lion Drayton http://www.greatbritishcarvery.co.uk/our-pubs/red-lion-1 I enjoyed a beer I see so much of that I often pass it over for something rarer, the award winning Woodfordes Wherry   http://www.woodfordes.co.uk/wherry.html

Favourite of the lot was definitely the Lacons, followed by the Dana Pale. Great that real ale and good honest pubs are alive and kicking her in the back of beyond!

• Like 6

Good evening all

Sarah remains away at her mum's but is due back later today or possibly tomorrow so that we can attend the new house welcome meeting together. She seemed a little "put out" when she found out, via Facebook, I had been at the pub last night (even though I was supporting a friend whose mum is in hospital). The phrase "you could have told me" arrived by text earlier in the day!! Oh well never mind!

Facebook:    "...............it's been the ruin of many a poor girl and God, I know I'm one!..............................."

(With apologies to The Animals and their song, "The House of the Rising Sun")

You have been warned!! I'm sure all these little irritations will be overlooked in the joy of moving into your new home! All the best, Andy!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 2

Well I showed my face at work today and several people politely enquired after my health. It turns out that the idiot duty manager told people i'd 'gone to hospital' without telling them why  :banghead: :punish:

He also wrote in the absence log that I was 'visiting' my brother which I thought was rather an understatement.

• RMweb Gold

is idiot duty manager the actual job description? As Yosser famously said in Auf Wiedersein Pet "I could do that - gis a job"

I usually get the impression from her Doctorness that the most appropriate descriptions are not fit to be mentioned, let alone written, in ERs as they are far from suited to those of such a retiring disposition as the membership here.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I usually get the impression from her Doctorness that the most appropriate descriptions are not fit to be mentioned, let alone written, in ERs as they are far from suited to those of such a retiring disposition as the membership here.

Matthew applied for a management internship (unpaid) at a major supermarket recently. He failed the test and didn't meet the criteria that that were using for  selection. Quite pleased really!

• Like 1

Matthew applied for a management internship (unpaid) at a major supermarket recently. He failed the test and didn't meet the criteria that that were using for  selection. Quite pleased really!

Glad to hear that he is not a member of the Tactical Weapons Anti-Terrorist Team!!!!

Early good morning all,

Colin, another superb set of pics but what is a permissive way? (Image1) Great and informative beer listing, I can see the Belgian connection now!.

Andyram, if you've got any sense you'll quit 'farce book' right away - it seems to cause a hell of a lot of trouble. I will have nothing to do with it because I speak from first hand experience : misunderstandings within my family group have caused lots of grief and so I hope you learn from this! Good luck with the house move anyway, I've got a feeling that your life might stay a bit complicated until that has taken place.

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS too tired to post more now, I'll try to do better tomorrow!

Evening all. This day has been the epitome of a roller coaster, so I suppose I earned the right to unwind with a sip of whisky...

And regale myself with this set:

There'll be a Railpool class 186 joining the line-up in the upper tube in the not-so-distant future.

Incredible Micro-Layout, Dom!

Seriously do you know the manufacturer of the real double decker coaches? I’m betting Bombardier.......

Don B. would be happy here tomorrow, 33C. Actually after last winter I’m never going to moan about the heat ever again. Anyway we have Bi-Central A/C....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Seriously do you know the manufacturer of the real double decker coaches? I’m betting Bombardier.......

These coaches were built by Talbot. They're known as the DDM type and were produced in three different series between 1985 and 1996.

Sunny hereabouts and this day looks to be a bit more relaxed. Thankfully, I should say!

Morning All,

There have been some great pictures over the past couple of days.  I have particularly enjoyed Colin's walking tour.

It is a nice sunny morning here - which hopefully will hold until the weekend!

I probably won't be around too much over the next couple of weeks - just in case anyone misses me.  My Girlfriend and I are getting married at the weekend, and then we are off to the Tirol for a short break.

• Like 9

Good morning all, 

Not much else to report  though it's a bit warmer this morning, and will be heading for the mid thirties....

Have a happy hump day, 

Trev.

PS:  Edit (Robert was posting at the same time as I was)

Congratulations Robert, hope all goes well for you both.

Edited by travelintrev
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Heyup its Wednesday!

A few scattered clouds but should be a nice day.

Congratulations Robert hope it all goes well!

Off to do a bit of cricket today so..have a great day everyone!

Baz

• Like 1

Morning All,

There have been some great pictures over the past couple of days.  I have particularly enjoyed Colin's walking tour.

It is a nice sunny morning here - which hopefully will hold until the weekend!

I probably won't be around too much over the next couple of weeks - just in case anyone misses me.  My Girlfriend and I are getting married at the weekend, and then we are off to the Tirol for a short break.

Many congratulations to you both! A short break in the Tirol sounds great but I bet you'll miss us lot... :bye: