The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

No DonBradley as yet..just hope the new computer is working..

Chucked it down last night but greyish skies and dry now. Off to Castleford (a Roman river crossing once) ..hope it doesn't get too cold!

Enjoy Saturday ...

Baz

Morning all. I most definitely ruined the weekend weather for Norf Norfolk when I commented the other day how amazed I was at the recent run of unbroken sunshine! Grey, cool and even a little bit damp right now.

Many many thanks for all your kind comments re Mrs LBM's unexpected free holiday away from me and the kids courtesy of the NHS! They've given her a side room so she's no doubt getting more peace and rest than she would at home... I'm already under strict instructions to record every episode of Eastenders during her absence, and God help me if I miss one.

I announced to the kids that we'd pay a visit to the North Norfolk Railway's diesel gala today. As you can imagine, daughter is less than impressed and will no doubt make her excuses and spend the day with her mates doing something "far less boring" (her words, not mine).

Have a great weekend. Pete.

Good morning all,  and welcome back Don,  (I was getting a bit lonely as the sole ER'er on this continent!) 

Interesting day yesterday....got stopped on the road by members of the "Immigration special forces" ....doing identity checks.... well that wasted a good thirty minutes. (Well out of town on the road that does go to Bennin) 

Then on the way back  - different route - was going to risk a second stoppage!   There were three broken trucks.....one a straight and reasonably good road how do you manage to turn a artic completely upside down? Another had lost two rear wheels and they had totaled a car and truck going in the opposite direction ! 

Anyway another of my I-o-M pics, either '69 or '70. 

What ever you're up to today try and find something to smile about, 

Trev

post-4282-0-78595100-1402731512.jpg

• Like 6

........Many many thanks for all your kind comments re Mrs LBM's unexpected free holiday away from me and the kids courtesy of the NHS! They've given her a side room so she's no doubt getting more peace and rest than she would at home... I'm already under strict instructions to record every episode of Eastenders during her absence, and God help me if I miss one.........

Have a great weekend. Pete.

Rest is a great healer so having a room to herself will be ideal for Mrs LBM. I hope she soon regains her health and strength.

There's always iPlayer for missed episodes of "Eastenders" or the omnibus edition (on Sundays, I think?).

All the best - and we still have the sun in the SW!

Typical.

Invited to a barbecue this afternoon and it's raining. Looks pretty set. At least it will settle the dust, which was becoming unpleasant.

Morning everybody. Hope you are well (or improving) and in good form. I'm off in another attempt to get the parts to sort my brushcutter and a set of spanners to replace the ones I spent all last evening looking for...

• RMweb Gold

Morning, clear blue sky and sunshine, about to have breakfast in the garden with the papers and then clean the cars out and a game of tennis is scheduled later this afternoon at g and t time ie 4pm.

Enjoy the day

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Really hot here this morning. I was awake really early though the dawn chorus was of the magpies squabbling rather than blackbirds singing. I did return to sleep and slept through all the radio alarm as did Aditi.  Even Robbie seemed keen on a late start. If he thinks we should get up he doesn't bark but he does have a "woof" sound that I interpret as "Excuse me, have you remembered I'm here and would like to go out".

Plans to see MiL have moved to tomorrow. 

Tony

Off today for wedding clobber shopping for both of us.

With Sandy, shopping is very targetted so that we know what we need and go to get it. As an activity we both dislike the brouhaha that some others seem to make of it.

Then off to visit FIL.

• RMweb Premium

Sunny on Fraggle Rock, off and on a bit.  There was a lot of birdie action here too early doors, of course it gets light earlier up here too....ZZZZZzzzzz.

Off into the garden for R&R.  This may involve 'work' doing large scale stuff for John, but I get to try them out :sungum:

Thanks to al for the welcome back messages.

It is mid bl00dy Winter here, Sunrise isn't until 7:50 ans it's COLD ) average below 10C a get up time, so instead if getting out of bed at 5:45, I postpone that until 6:30, thus not having time for a read and post in ERs until after breakfast - So effectively I am no longer an Early Riser! (In the good old days I was at work by 6:10AM!)

We had the wettest April since records began although we had hot 30C spells then, the COLD set in in late May and it's raining again today.

I have made very little progress in the catch-up department although I have gone back 100 pages.

Enjoy the weekend!

• Like 12

It’s over here too... 80f and clear for today - after an evening of heavy (maaan) storms last night, but we could use the rain. Chased away two large White-Tailed Deer (aggressive males too, so took Westie) from backyard. They were pretty big.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Grrr. I knew it had to have gone somewhere...

It also went to the North West!  Having heard all the news reports about how great the weather was further south this week, it is nice to actually have warmth & sunshine for the weekend.  Today's 'tasks' include some gardening, going to the local Village Fete this afternoon, and then watch the 8F come by with the Cumbrian Coast Express.  It was going to be Galatea, then Scots Guardsman, now the 8F 48151.

• Like 3

Morning all, late start on RMweb but dog duties done and graveyard headstone cleaning and change of flowers completed. The sun has definitely left us for now - very dull with damp in the air - those that have got it now : we'd like it back please!

Don, good to hear from you again today, I suspect you've earned the right to a lie in. Good luck with trawling through the weeks of postings.

John, Sandy obviously bucks the trend - 'targeted shopping' eh? Surely not a common girlie practice in my experience!

Motters, your 'Jowett' post brought back memories, dad had a 'Javelin' in the fifties, but he had a rarer beast in the early sixties, the twin cylinder 'Jowett Bradford'. All I can remember is that it was very basic and that you could get inside the bonnet to work on the engine! I'm going to have to research it now for a trip down 'memory lane'.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend, especially Ian who hopefully will gather some good shots from the 24heures action.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

It also went to the North West!  Having heard all the news reports about how great the weather was further south this week, it is nice to actually have warmth & sunshine for the weekend.  Today's 'tasks' include some gardening, going to the local Village Fete this afternoon, and then watch the 8F come by with the Cumbrian Coast Express.  It was going to be Galatea, then Scots Guardsman, now the 8F 48151.

OK, when the sun has finished it's whistlestop worldwide tour, Norfolk would like it back please... if only briefly!

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, (Just)

Sun trying to break through after cloudy start and very warm.

Great time had by all at last night's do and GB did not overdo it (for once).

Lazy day planned so........

have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Massive thunder and lightning storm in these parts last night, although the gap between the sound and light show was sufficient for it to not be too bad. Others I've spoken to who were under canvas had no gap.

Anyway in the middle of the night first one small person appeared beside our bed, then the other, along with various cuddly toys. So, not a bad result. :)

Traverser has been installed and today I'm going to start adding functionality to it; apart  from the sliding function, that is! 

Andy

• Like 1

Weather improved, barbecue back on, beer bought.

Wonderful man in Bricomarché gave me (for free) a replacement securing nut for the brushcutter, sadly it's the wrong size, but dix sur dix for charm and effort.

Spanners bought, so I'll find the old ones now, I expect. Bought a set of Stanleys for €30 then went into the supermarket where they had a set for €8.50...

But spanners bought in supermarkets are generally made of jam.

Also bought some foie gras, sauternes and cornichons for my cousin to welcome him back to the world of the thinking. As a result I got a lot of stickers (double vignettes this weekend) and so managed to get two Sabatier knives at €6.90 each! Remise de 70%! Even got extra stickers for the knives I bought with the stickers thus starting the collection for the next knife - only need to spend another €80.

So a lot of decent results so far, now off to watch the start of the 24 heures du Mans on Eurosport.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's an impressive beast.

Interestingly, these locomotives were built in Romania for the GDR's Deutsche Reichsbahn. As built, they were notoriously unreliable, and required extensive refurbishments to become usable. The 229s were re-engined in the 1990s.