The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I occasionally worked at home to meet a deadline or doing  background research. After the Council banned the use of personal data sticks for security reasons, i had to email material home so I could use it evenings or at the weekend and send the results back to my work address. I would have thought that teachers/lecturers in particular would find this a useful facility. It also avoids the risk of losing the stick! I get the impression that IT deprtments in the public sector think of themselves as a sort of Stasi, without which the institution would be under threat not just from hackers etc but its own staff.

Pete 

I know there are a few people who know about computers on ERs so as I'm a bit out of date can someone explain this. Staff at a certain college in East London have been told that from Aug 1 they will no longer be allowed to send emails from work to their personal home email address. They can however continue to use their work email from home via the colleges webmail link. The reason given for this is to reduce internet traffic.

Be nice if nobody at work could send e-mails to personal home e-mail addresses!

Ed

In other news our free copy of the Sun has arrived. I shall probably use it to line the litter tray unless anyone can sggest a means of returning it to sender at the sender's cost.

But the postie also brought my new toys :senile:

Edited by station cat
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I know there are a few people who know about computers on ERs so as I'm a bit out of date can someone explain this. Staff at a certain college in East London have been told that from Aug 1 they will no longer be allowed to send emails from work to their personal home email address. They can however continue to use their work email from home via the colleges webmail link. The reason given for this is to reduce internet traffic.

Anyone with an inkling knows what they are trying to do so why insult their staffs intelligence by lying about it? Do they think the senior management are going to incriminate themselves by sending inappropiate emails by any chance?

• RMweb Gold

How do they know ? If they block all (for example) gmail addresses then some parents would be blocked.

There are many ways around it anyway, a pointless, @rs3 covering exercise to pay lip service to some faceless manager somewhere who hasn't got a clue about anything - maybe I should get off the fence !

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. TGIW!

At least I have a parcel to look forward to, containing this loco in H0 scale:

800px-DB_Schenker_1616_(ex-NS_1606)_Hilv

Though the model will be 1614 "Schiedam," one of those DB Schenker Nederland 1600s repainted in DB red.

This loco will complement the following one rather well:

800px-NS_1770_met_DDM,_Amsterdam_Centraa

...with the model I have representing 1754 "Diemen."

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all the answers to my query about emails to private home addresses. I assumed I knew why it was being done, assumed that the person ordering it doesn't really know anything about IT, and so on, but as I said my experience is dated  and so I thought I'd better ask! For a while now emails have been monitored, perhaps they can't read quickly enough.

Considering how much work is done at home by many education staff it also seems silly. The person I know who works there has been sending her stuff (not confidential subject to data protection stuff) to her home email as the college webmail is flaky out of hours anyway.

Perhaps management haven't quite grasped that all the "damaging allegations" earlier in the year were released on YouTube and Twitter and then followed up by TV and print journalists rather than college emails!

• RMweb Gold

D'ya reckon I can bill them for the tape?

Mine (arrived this morning) went into a envelope from Sky that had contained a letter to persuade me to sign up for a service I already have. Plenty of space for the Freepost address.

• Like 4

Wecome back DonB - look forward to weather reports, and more :)

Tony, echoing everyone, but, those folks are essentially "one sandwich short of a picnic" if they think anyone will believe they are trying to "reduce internet traffic"! <sigh>

There's probably 100 times the volume ANYWAY in folks using youtube, google, facebook, etc., etc., for non-work activities.

Even where some services are blocked internally, I've been at client locations where, if they needed to reduce "internet traffic", forwarding emails to home addresses wouldn't even appear in the top 100 list of potential traffic-intense items! Sometimes I despair of my fellow IT professionals when I hear this sort of clap-trap.

Nice day here, started at 14 may make 23 with sunny clear skies. The weekend however is a different animal - expecting thunderstorms most all weekend apparently.

We'll be heading to the lake cabin late afternoon/early evening. Son has requested we be back Sunday in time for a Fathers Day meal, so will go up this evening to get a couple of nights r-and-r. Will be out-of-internet access up there "mostly". So may no posting, unless I can get to the coffee shop wifi and use up some "internet traffic" :jester:

Enjoy the weekend - off to working again...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thought for today: Is it wise for a real estate agent to call themselves "Stenchly"?

Names don't translate well in every case, and that can matter in certain businesses. There's an English-speaking estate agent in Pre-en-Pail called Normandimmo. In French it makes perfect sense - Normandie and Immobilier (estate agent), but Norman just sounds like a chap and dimmo is not a kind thing to be called in English!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Before I retired some dimbo came up with the idea that all e-mails the address of which the computer does not recognise would be blocked until the recipient of that e-mail 'releases' it. That was bad enough for those who answered their own e-mails but the senior officers of the council and others who relied on secretaries etc. to answer their mail soon found it was unworkable as they could only clear their in boxes or release the emails.

• Like 1

Bloody Hell. It would have to be Friday 13th, wouldn't it? Everything was going so well.

Mrs LBM not too well for the last few days, so after a trip to the GP this lunchtime, I've just got back from Norwich hospital. She was referred straight to the hospital as an urgent admission. It looks like the viral encephalitis that took the wind right out of her sails all those years ago is back with a vengeance. Kids just home from school as well, so I've had to break it to them that Mum won't be around for a while. Fingers crossed and I'll drop into ER from time to time. Pete.

So sorry to hear your news, Pete. What a shock it must be but I'm sure that, with the knowledge of Karen's history, everything will be done by the hospital to make her comfortable.

Take care of yourself.

Thanks Sherry. I had to rush back for the kids coming out of school but have just got off the phone with the consultant who has already seen her and is familiar with her complicated history. It's not all doom and gloom - it appears to have been caught in time. There are some mobility issues with the left side and blurred vision in the left eye which *should* sort themselves out but the biggest plus point is that the doctor reckons half the meds she's been prescribed are wrong and have certainly not been helping in any way, they could even have been a contributory factor. I guess that's the problem when you're seen by so many different doctors who aren't familiar with the big picture! Everything will be fine. Pete.

• RMweb Gold

... but have just got off the phone with the consultant who has already seen her and is familiar with her complicated history. It's not all doom and gloom - it appears to have been caught in time. There are some mobility issues with the left side and blurred vision in the left eye which *should* sort themselves out but the biggest plus point is that the doctor reckons half the meds she's been prescribed are wrong and have certainly not been helping in any way, they could even have been a contributory factor. I guess that's the problem when you're seen by so many different doctors who aren't familiar with the big picture! Everything will be fine. Pete.

So glad to read what the consultant said to you. Seeing someone who treats you as a whole person and not just their "speciality" makes such a difference.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Mrs LBM not too well for the last few days, so after a trip to the GP this lunchtime, I've just got back from Norwich hospital.

So sorry to read this, Pete - you are young people! Echo others in relief that the Mr is saying it's been caught, and there may be a vaguely silver lining if other medication has been hindering her health - more and better notes will now be available for her GP to get the full picture. My fingers are crossed for her early return to your side.

Please visualise.

Tallish woman of a certain age wearing a summer floor length dress proceeding at speed, long blond-ish locks, loosely curled fell (not floated) past her shoulders. The summer dress seemed to support Wagnerian bosoms which were obvious by their presence. The vision of a ship’s figurehead came to mind.

So what also immediately sprang to mind was The Flying Dutchman – or maybe Die Walküre – as she sped past.

Not often you see one of those pushing a shopping trolley in Sainsbury’s.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please visualise.

Tallish woman of a certain age wearing a summer floor length dress proceeding at speed, long blond-ish locks, loosely curled fell (not floated) past her shoulders. The summer dress seemed to support Wagnerian bosoms which were obvious by their presence. The vision of a ship’s figurehead came to mind.

So what immediately sprang to mind was The Flying Dutchman – or maybe Die Walküre – as she sped past.

Not often you see one of those pushing a shopping trolley in Sainsbury’s.

Where's the bromide when you need it?

In other news our free copy of the Sun has arrived. I shall probably use it to line the litter tray unless anyone can sggest a means of returning it to sender at the sender's cost.

But the postie also brought my new toys :senile:

I can confirm that the print does not come off on your backside.

Quick check-in during lunch...

Pete, hope Mrs. recovers quickly, sounds like she's in good hands and they have everything covered, excellent to hear.

Items;

#1 - Update on "Spot the Eagle" - offspring has now grown to a point he/she can venture from the nest. Seen below - if you can believe it!! - perched on our friends' neighbors balcony railing...

post-20244-0-12730700-1402682890_thumb.jpg

#2 - DHL showed up at my door today, funny haven't ordered anything I expected any time soon...

post-20244-0-16241500-1402683120_thumb.jpg

Fathers Day ARRIVED!!! :)

Apparently the higher costs charged by Hornby for shipping overseas (to the US at least) are because they use DHL 2-day delivery - Yay!! :senile:

Of course the slightly "bad" news is, being the prat I am, I hadn't bothered to order a decoder yet as they only take a couple of days, and I was going to get around to ordering it Monday, expecting the 2-BIL to be mid-late next week for sure - I'll just have to "look" for now, but definately brilliant.

Lovely weather (22 and sunny) here still, and forecasting thunderstorms all weekend still  :( - off to the lake in a few hours...

Hope the World Cup, Le Mans and all the other planned activities are fun and enjoyable for all from upclose or afar.

Have a great weekend ERs and significant others. . :sungum:

• Like 8