The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back Don. Tony, in my experience if HR try to play the sickness absence card they have no real case 90% of the time. I was fortunate in that in my job I had access to sick records (it was part of my job to maintain them) so as a union rep I had plenty of ammunition. In one instance it ended up with the line manager being dismissed and my member being promoted in her place and the HR person being on a disciplinary herself (she resigned first though).

• Like 9

Welcome back, Don B! You have been thought about and mentioned regularly.

As to news, well, yes, some hatches and despatches but, as Ian has announced, he and I are officially matched! ER's are some of the very few who know so far.

Have a good day, everyone, especially Don!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Crumbs! I didn't realise it was Friday 13th until I read today's posts.

Its also a full moon. (Can't find the mooning smiley, must be on another forum.)

Edited by PhilJ W

Morning all, beautiful sunny start yet again by the Clacton seaside - means we'll probably be over-run by 'chip-eaters' at the weekend which is my excuse for staying away from town.

Don B has returned, thank goodness! When you get a chance to trawl back through all the posts Don, you are in for some surprises (too many to mention here!), but you might notice the large number of concerned posts relating to your absence. Delighted to hear it was a computer, and not a health problem.

We're all rooting for you Aditi. The only people I can remember being more inept than this bunch were the Co-operative Society for whom I worked for a very short time! (yes - they 'dabbled' in the car trade for a time). Must be driving you and the good lady mad Tony so, whatever the outcome, it will be a relief to reach closure.

Happy anniversary Bob : did you earn brownie points for remembering? Enjoy your party tonight - you'll soon be picking up a gold!

The animals sound like hard work Ian, and there was me fretting over caring for one dog! Hope you're fully fit to enjoy the racing at the weekend - your Porsche comment got me thinking but I don't suppose they would have entered if they weren't confident. I'm sure it was A J Foyt who first coined the phrase 'when the flag drops, the bulls*it stops'!

Hope the 13th proves lucky for you all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

Doing more running around with her tomorrow, she wants to call into her work  (Attorney General's Chambers) in Douglas to thank her colleagues for what looks like a whole meadow of flowers that have arrived.  I don't think it's a good idea for her to drive afterwards.

What a good friend you are Neil,

God Bless,

Dave

Morning all, and a warm welcome back to Don. 

Some kit preparation for tomorrow's camping trip but hopefully, after a few household chores (clean, tidy, washing etc, swap the three-way valve motor) I should get to do some work on the traverser. 

Weight has settled at 3lbs lower than it was last week so keeping up the low intake of calories and exercise (scaling ladders to empty the header tank counts!).

Slightly miffed that the roses I bought from a well known rose grower, whilst being perfectly healthy, don't live up to their description. Highly scented? Far from it. I don't know if "lack of scent" is something to do with the way I've grown them or a problem with the plant. I can't imagine growing a Sweet pea that was described as heavy scent and it having none. 

Rosa Graham Thomas and Rosa Crown princess Margareta are the culprits.

Rant-ette over. 

Have a nice day everyone - it's looking like the weather will be quite warm today. Andy

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Another glorious morning and my birds have been fed and are chattering away happily, I seem to have several family groups of starlings and tits (snigger) who are regulars and gold/green finches who are frequent along with plenty of other occasionals.

Must tell you tale 2 soon - it's a revelation and regards a certain telecomms company whose anagram is TB.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My brother just sent me this photo (via Facebook). 

I assume it isn't his lawnmower!

post-6719-0-88795500-1402652253.jpg

I also gather he is now putting it back together and booking it in to the garage for a service!

• Like 4

CBR600?  getting those carb rubbers back on is a bear.

Used to replace rubbers and filters with alloy 'bell mouths' in my day - probably completely confuse the modern electronics!

Old f*rt ?

Regards,

Jock.

PS Tony, if that's his lawn mower, he'll cut his grass a damned site quicker than me!

• RMweb Gold

CBR600?  getting those carb rubbers back on is a bear.

Yes, those numbers sound familiar! Age must be catching up on Pete (my brother), not only is his beloved bike going in to the local bike shop for routine work, I can also see a couple of specks of dust on the garage floor. Whereas my garage floor is usually not visible!

• Like 3

Used to replace rubbers and filters with alloy 'bell mouths' in my day - probably completely confuse the modern electronics!

Old f*rt ?

Regards,

Jock.

PS Tony, if that's his lawn mower, he'll cut his grass a damned site quicker than me!

That depends on how quickly the carb rubbers can be refitted

Welcome back Steve and Don.

Mr and Mrs Stationmaster were last heard of happily ensconsed aboard their ship. I didn't hear from them yesterday but they would appear to have spent it out of mobile signal range.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, bright sunny and warm again. Took small cat to the vet again she licked part of her leg bare and it looked and felt disgusting now she has an antibiotic injection a collar to stop her doing it anymore and a steroid cream to stop the itching. While at the vets we saw a beautiful Husky but its owner talked to the dog as if it was her grandchild.What a waste of a dog. Good to see you back Don only Gruffalo to recover and we might have a full team.

Edited by skipepsi
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Happy anniversary Bob : did you earn brownie points for remembering? Enjoy your party tonight - you'll soon be picking up a gold!

Thanks Jock - I've never forgotten and find it difficult to understand how anyone could forgot what is either one of the best days of your life (In my case) or possibly for some unlucky people one of the worst!

I do forget a lot of other things though! :scratchhead: 

Thingy of Sutton.

• RMweb Premium

can't stop it....

full moon... Friday the 13th its got to be .... "I used to be a werewolf but I am alright noooooooooooooooooow!!"

runs and hides....

Thanks Jock - I've never forgotten and find it difficult to understand how anyone could forgot what is either one of the best days of your life (In my case) or possibly for some unlucky people one of the worst!

I do forget a lot of other things though! :scratchhead: 

Ashamed to say I very nearly forgot mine (Wednesday). Luckily it was market day in Sheringham so I could quickly nip out and get a card (3 for a pound, so I managed to get a couple of future birthday cards as well). Yes, I know... I'm tight!

No doubt Mrs L will be expecting a high quality, no expense spared something or other very shortly! We don't usually celebrate the day itself, but do something in the week or so that follows.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I know there are a few people who know about computers on ERs so as I'm a bit out of date can someone explain this. Staff at a certain college in East London have been told that from Aug 1 they will no longer be allowed to send emails from work to their personal home email address. They can however continue to use their work email from home via the colleges webmail link. The reason given for this is to reduce internet traffic.

Edited by Tony_S

I know there are a few people who know about computers on ERs so as I'm a bit out of date can someone explain this. Staff at a certain college in East London have been told that from Aug 1 they will no longer be allowed to send emails from work to their personal home email address. They can however continue to use their work email from home via the colleges webmail link. The reason given for this is to reduce internet traffic.

Now that is the funniest thing I've read in ages. I wonder how the idiot that came up with that idea manages to function. (breathing for example) :jester:  :jester: :jester: For their next trick they will shorten all the telephone cables in order to reduce long distance charges.  

Seriously, its more likely a poorly disguised attempt to implement tighter control around emails. Send work home via email and they no longer know what you have done with it. Did you edit and forward, did you copy and store sensitive information locally. Webmail would actually increase network traffic as there is now the webmail html interface on top of the email itself. A 20kb email now needs a 200kb webpage to be sent in order to read it. As long as you keep an email on their server, they have control over it and can audit where it is forwarded to or modified.

Edited by AndrewC