The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Congratulations to Ian & Sherry and good to know that you are at last been able to go public, and that in Sherry's case things are on an amicable basis.  So congratulations to the two of you and hoping that things will now move ahead smoothly for you both - presumably all us lot on ERs will get a slice of the cake ;)  BTW does this mean a joint screen name on ERs at some date in the future?

Back in the land of the humdrum we have, at the moment, a nice sunny day and the weather for the rest of this week in Sea Area Cullercoats looks quite reasonable except in the far north - where we definitely won't be going (it's outside area).  The ship is currently plugging hard for Harwich so it must be for a good reason - probably something to do with buoys rather than stores etc I suspect.  I'm told the packing is more or less complete and I think I know what I'll be told to wear so all is almost ready (cameras to charge, chargers to then pack).

In the meanwhile back to RMweb 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Agreed... my wife bought another of those useless TV-advertised gimmicks called Oven Magic a while back. You put your grills and oven shelves etc inside a plastic bag, add a measured amount of scientific gloop, leave overnight and hey presto - it actually WORKS! Now that was a surprise.

We used to use caustic soda for monthly cleans of restaurant car kitchen and oven bits - it worked a treat but is not recommended for home use (we had great big 'baths' containing the solution with a nice gentle steam heat passing through them, very good at removing anything which had survived daily cleans).

Morning all

Rumbles of thunder overnight and now, but better than the heavy squalls of mid-evening, which blanked out the satellite dish minutes before the GP!

And now, as they say, for something completely different. I prepared this earlier, so Sherry has seen it.

Regular readers will be aware that I have for some time spoken of my "VIP", a lady in the UK with whom I have been having a relationship. In fact that relationship is slightly over 10 years old, having started about 6 months before Deb and I retired to France. Deb was aware from Day 1, recognised that I was fond of the lady, and was happy, for example, to drive me to Le Mans to catch a train so I could spend time in England. As result of a family conversation last evening, meaning secrecy is no longer required, I can now reveal that the lady concerned - in case you haven't guessed! - is our own Ashcombe, real name Sherry. There are legal processes to be followed, but we hope, in due course - to be married!

It has to be said that we had never, until quite recently, expected to be able to get together. Even when I became a widower, Sherry had no reason to leave home. Circumstances have altered, however, and I am glad to report that separation from her husband after 43 years will be done on an entirely amicable basis. I hope ERs - and other RMwebbers, for that matter - can accept our altered public status and share our joy.

Phew, the World’s worse kept secret is over!

Well, it must have been as I heard about it from my neighbour over here who is not even a member of RMWeb.

Next to Rapido’s plans that is...............

Congratulations, now - get on with it!

Look forward to meeting you both at some time or place in the future. I hope Sherry will still hang around on here ‘cos I like her.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great news from Ian and Sherry and best wishes for your future together.

Fetched Tigger from the vet's late last night; he's medically fine but a little subdued, possibly still feeling a bit under the weather, or disorientated. He's normally a very vocal cat but I haven't heard a single miaow yet. He has to go for a check up and will need a change of diet.

ete

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Congratulations Ian & Sherry, I'm sure its a relief to be able to go "public" and now we all know the woman behind the haircut!

Damp and showery here with the sky full of black clouds, but never mind it allows for a static grass session in the shed.

Enjoy your day

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

BTW does this mean a joint screen name on ERs at some date in the future?

Probably not. My pleasure in a relationship is that my partner is an individual in her own right. We expect to have homes in both countries for a good long while at least, and Sherry will still want to pursue her activities at church and theatre in the SW with my full support, as well as visiting family, who may or may not wish to welcome me. While we obviously adore being together, the need to retain identities in every respect is vital to keeping the spark alive IMHO. Sherry may choose to change her surname - she doesn't have to as far as I'm concerned - but she will always be her own person.

May I thank you all for the lovely thoughts on here this morning. Very warming!

• Like 4

Regular readers will be aware that I have for some time spoken of my "VIP", a lady in the UK with whom I have been having a relationship. In fact that relationship is slightly over 10 years old, having started about 6 months before Deb and I retired to France. Deb was aware from Day 1, recognised that I was fond of the lady, and was happy, for example, to drive me to Le Mans to catch a train so I could spend time in England. As result of a family conversation last evening, meaning secrecy is no longer required, I can now reveal that the lady concerned - in case you haven't guessed! - is our own Ashcombe, real name Sherry. There are legal processes to be followed, but we hope, in due course - to be married!

It has to be said that we had never, until quite recently, expected to be able to get together. Even when I became a widower, Sherry had no reason to leave home. Circumstances have altered, however, and I am glad to report that separation from her husband after 43 years will be done on an entirely amicable basis. I hope ERs - and other RMwebbers, for that matter - can accept our altered public status and share our joy.

:yahoo: How wonderful............`joyous news to read and may I (we) offer sincere wishes for your life together, that it be filled with contentment! :tender:

Edited by Debs.

Ahh the joys of BBQ. Went over to gas many many years ago. Far easier to maintain a constant temperature, and no faffing about with firelighters and coals. The addition of a smoker box also allows for the flavour of wood smoke or coals to still be part of the cooking experience. Just soak some wood chips, throw them into the smoker box and voila all the advantages of charcoal or wood BBQing without the pain in the arse.

Caustic soda is/was in just about every cheap oven cleaner spray. Works great on grills. Most of the more "friendly" cleaners just won't touch the baked on bbq grime. I find the generic oven cleaner from the pound shop works well as long as it contains caustic soda. Failing that Weber makes their own brand cleaner that works very well.

A good quality wire brush works wonders for cleaning too. Best used while the grill is still hot and the gunk hasn't solidified totally.

As for gas, I always keep 2 tanks. Worth the extra £30 deposit to not run out mid meal. Which reminds me, I swapped over yesterday so I need to get another full one in the next couple of weeks. I tend to go through 4 or 5 13kg propane tanks per year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Probably not. My pleasure in a relationship is that my partner is an individual in her own right. We expect to have homes in both countries for a good long while at least, and Sherry will still want to pursue her activities at church and theatre in the SW with my full support, as well as visiting family, who may or may not wish to welcome me. While we obviously adore being together, the need to retain identities in every respect is vital to keeping the spark alive IMHO. Sherry may choose to change her surname - she doesn't have to as far as I'm concerned - but she will always be her own person.

May I thank you all for the lovely thoughts on here this morning. Very warming!

What a well thought out arrangement, i'm sure it will work out rather well and of course in Ian's case, being in France, it's bound too as we all know the old saying 'absinthe makes the heart grow fonder'  (well someone had to say it ;) ).

• RMweb Gold

Noticed driving down our road a few minutes ago - white panel van lettered for the DVLA and fitted with a camera pointing out at 45 degree angle above each corner of the roof.  Great shame that b*gger who hasn't got a tax disc wasn't parked in our road today but no doubt they are 'doing' the whole area so might catch him.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Finally caught up after a prolonged absence caused by Jills work pressures, my son visiting and a weekend in Wigan helping to run one of the best shows in the North West, aside from the more usual incidents of animal accidents and illness (not serious) to some of us (I've used my voting icons on some posts, but apologies if I've missed some, there was a lot to catch up on and I had to speed read things) I was beginning to think I hadn't missed much and then ...

Congratulations Ian and Sherry - a lovely couple and I wish you every happiness for your future together, very cheering news on a Monday afternoon

• Like 2

Best wishes and much happiness, Ian and Sherry!

Will there be a party?

Just been out setting up my telescope (birthday present a few years back that I've never got the hang of) because I promised to show GD the proper Milky Way when she comes out to France in the summer holidays.

You get good skies here (day and night) and when it's clear you can see the colours of the stars, which you can't in outer London. I'm also thinking of a monocular for birdspotting - I've loads of binoculars (I seem to have bought a pair every time I went to Brands Hatch or on Brittany Ferries) but I can never get them to focus properly - the difference between my eyes I think.

4th coat of varnish on the table - still patchy...

• RMweb Premium

Good news.. don't need to see Sister Drac for a while... blood pressure 120/60... I must be doing something right, cholesterol is not getting any worse but my Sugars aren't coming down as quickly as they would like them to.....

So no more even looking at Cricket Tea cakes or cheese and tomato sandwiches! HUMPH!!!

tis raining in Leeds.... again..... so off to do some trains ... for me for once!

Baz

• Like 1

Bringing up the rear as always (dang timezones...) Congratulations to Ian and Sherry. I always did wonder, even though a newcomer, about the "French Connection" that seems somewhat to coincide with VIP commentaries! Wonderful news and I'll raise a glass for you both this evening (maybe earlier if the "documentation" tasks get too boring) :imsohappy:

• Like 6