The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. It's too warm...

Aditi's cousin posted the following on his Facebook page this morning

"47.8 deg . Temp hits 62 year high.. Cars burning.. Roads melting.. Its all happening ... Baked Delhi .."

It didn't feel like much less out here yesterday and I'm sure today will be another scorcher...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, bit of a turbulent day yesterday rang vet at 10.00 and told he would like to see us at 4.00pm to discus stuff didn't feel good.....  Went along at 4.00 and played with Cally while he sorted some others out the upshot is that he thinks she has had a mini-stroke and this caused an embolism on her spine which caused her paralysis. She is now geting a bit better as he gave her a drug to try and dissolve the embolism. Unfortunately she was never a smart cat and she may have lost more brain cells so the question will be quality of life if she makes a full recovery.

Just to round of a difficult day number one decides at 7.30 pm that he really wants to come home from Winchester! Soft old git that I am I agree to get him so 7 hours later we are home and I need to be up at 7.30am...

Morning all from the back to being boring, boring borough. Turns out the great fire of Welling was indeed the old baby clinic. Most of the roof has gone and the rest of the front boarded off. Shame as it was a rather nice bit of 30s architecture. No doubt it will get flattened and become a bit of waste ground attracting the fly tippers. The site is too small for anything in the way of development. On the other hand it is adjacent to a large allotment site. I can picture our crap council flogging the lot for a quick profit.

Pete, crystals in cat urine is very common. We had one cat block up on Christmas day way back in the mid 80s. Once cleaned out and put on a special diet for life he lived to the ripe old age of 22. Not bad for a moggie that we rescued on his last day at the shelter.

Mick,  we had a cat with FATE which is what your poor kitty sounds like. Sadly in our case poor Iggy was blocked in such a way that surgery was out of the question and the vet's prognosis was less than 10% survival.

Cloudy, warm, and humid. 18c so far with a humidex of 24c, according to the weather hobbyist down the road.

Mr. Lurker. We are civilised up this end of the borough. All except the one neighbour who is a transplant from either Woolwich or the gorilla cage @ ZSL London Zoo. In either case the family are feral creatures.

Back to work, hoping it's a quiet day. Loads of small niggly things to get sorted out. Have a good one all.

Edited by AndrewC

• RMweb Gold

Children and animals rule our lives. Well actually we don't have children but have had quite a few animals. Those who do have kids will know what I mean.

Don

Children and animals rule our lives. Well actually we don't have children but have had quite a few animals. Those who do have kids will know what I mean.

Don

Very much so! Staying with DD2 at present where some full and frank discussions have taken place. The storms that are prevalent here at times without mirror what has happened indoors.

Yes, even "grown up" children are demanding!

Have a good week!

• RMweb Gold

Very much so! Staying with DD2 at present where some full and frank discussions have taken place. The storms that are prevalent here at times without mirror what has happened indoors.

Yes, even "grown up" children are demanding!

Have a good week!

Morning all

Rumbles of thunder overnight and now, but better than the heavy squalls of mid-evening, which blanked out the satellite dish minutes before the GP!

And now, as they say, for something completely different. I prepared this earlier, so Sherry has seen it.

Regular readers will be aware that I have for some time spoken of my "VIP", a lady in the UK with whom I have been having a relationship. In fact that relationship is slightly over 10 years old, having started about 6 months before Deb and I retired to France. Deb was aware from Day 1, recognised that I was fond of the lady, and was happy, for example, to drive me to Le Mans to catch a train so I could spend time in England. As result of a family conversation last evening, meaning secrecy is no longer required, I can now reveal that the lady concerned - in case you haven't guessed! - is our own Ashcombe, real name Sherry. There are legal processes to be followed, but we hope, in due course - to be married!

It has to be said that we had never, until quite recently, expected to be able to get together. Even when I became a widower, Sherry had no reason to leave home. Circumstances have altered, however, and I am glad to report that separation from her husband after 43 years will be done on an entirely amicable basis. I hope ERs - and other RMwebbers, for that matter - can accept our altered public status and share our joy.

• Like 6

What a bombshell Ian, but as a student of human kind, I picked up what the trendier of you would call 'good vibes' from both you and Sherry just from your postings on here. Your kindness and support for me make me feel that you will be eminently suited to one another and I'm sure I speak for most in wishing you all the happiness you both deserve. That's quite made my day so I'm going to have brunch now and post later.

Congratulations and kind regards to you both,

Jock.

Well, congratulations to Olddudders and Ashcombe

A hint of blue amongst the clouds over Borough Market Junction today.

A busy weekend using the new pressure washer on the decking, the conservatory roof, the concrete base at the bottom of the garden and the kids' climbing frame/den.For some reason my elbows ache!

Having a gentle chuckle to myself about Ian and Sherry, then had a shout for a cardiac arrest. Immediately cancelled, so probably grim news for someone. That's life.

On a happier note, I'm at the Lord's test match on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. And, according to the weather forecast, I could be busy. I need to print out my warrant, just in case of a "newby" on the gate.

Meanwhile, I'm planning a holiday so someone will be getting a PM soon. I can't really concentrate when I'm on duty, because I need to react to the radio. I tend to spent Monday's catching up with RMWeb.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having a gentle chuckle to myself about Ian and Sherry, then had a shout for a cardiac arrest. Immediately cancelled, so probably grim news for someone. That's life.

On a happier note, I'm at the Lord's test match on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. And, according to the weather forecast, I could be busy. I need to print out my warrant, just in case of a "newby" on the gate.

Meanwhile, I'm planning a holiday so someone will be getting a PM soon. I can't really concentrate when I'm on duty, because I need to react to the radio. I tend to spent Monday's catching up with RMWeb.

Bill

Is this St Johns, Bill, or something more state-based? We used to have an office messenger, a very unassuming little chap called John Donegan, who lived alone near the Elephant, I think. He was a St Johns person, and always on duty at this or that West End theatre etc in the evenings. Good people when we need them!

Borough Market was very nice yesterday evening. I went to the Pentecost service in the cathedral - a bit too evangelical for my taste. Then I went to Beckenham, to collect the books of account of a charity for which I'm treasurer. They are now duly independently examined in time for Tuesday's agm.

Bill

, I can now reveal that the lady concerned - in case you haven't guessed! - is our own Ashcombe, real name Sherry. There are legal processes to be followed, but we hope, in due course - to be married!

WOO HOO!!!!!

Having said that and speaking on behalf of other ERs. We'd bloody better get invites. :dance_mini:  :happy_mini: 

Seriously, congratulations you two.

<queue jokes about the bridal registry being with Hatton's>

• Like 3

....Regular readers will be aware that I have for some time spoken of my "VIP", a lady in the UK with whom I have been having a relationship. In fact that relationship is slightly over 10 years old, having started about 6 months before Deb and I retired to France. Deb was aware from Day 1, recognised that I was fond of the lady, and was happy, for example, to drive me to Le Mans to catch a train so I could spend time in England. As result of a family conversation last evening, meaning secrecy is no longer required, I can now reveal that the lady concerned - in case you haven't guessed! - is our own Ashcombe, real name Sherry. There are legal processes to be followed, but we hope, in due course - to be married!.

To quote Terry Pratchett's MacNac Feegle "sounds verrrrrrry complicated"!

My congratulations to the both of you.

• RMweb Premium

Regular readers will be aware that I have for some time spoken of my "VIP", a lady in the UK with whom I have been having a relationship. In fact that relationship is slightly over 10 years old, having started about 6 months before Deb and I retired to France. Deb was aware from Day 1, recognised that I was fond of the lady, and was happy, for example, to drive me to Le Mans to catch a train so I could spend time in England. As result of a family conversation last evening, meaning secrecy is no longer required, I can now reveal that the lady concerned - in case you haven't guessed! - is our own Ashcombe, real name Sherry. There are legal processes to be followed, but we hope, in due course - to be married!

Congratulations to you both and I hope it all goes smoothly. 

Ian,

I am a St John volunteer, which is how I get the Lord's duty, but Community First Responders are really part of the ambulance service. We tend to have the same black sense of humour as the guys in the trucks, which can cause friction with the true St John volunteer. We have a different uniform as well.

Bill

• Like 2

Good morning all,

Settled down now after that lovely bit of news earlier (never occurred to me to cross refer Sherry's recent trip to France with a certain VIP visit! I'm normally sharper than that!!)

Hope both cat sufferers resolve their issues today - I never believed that an animal could worm its way into ones heart until the ladies in my family ganged up on me, which resulted in the acquisition of Archie the Westie! I can now however fully sympathise but can only hope the news is good as the day progresses.

Neil, an enigmatic post but we can only hope that today's task (I think I can guess) goes as well as any such task can. Be strong and good luck.

Don, we have both children and animals and you are so right. Three children, six grandchildren, three great grandchildren as well as the aforementioned Archie. The dog is more regulating than the kids in that he is totally reliant on us for his well-being. Joanna was told by the vet, when she picked him from a famous pedigree litter (don't ask how much!), that as a breed Westies can be prone to skin complaints and so each morning he starts with an Omega3 capsule and a piriton tablet disguised in a couple of training treats. This is followed by a 'Dentastic' and then 6 shape biscuits for breakfast! Dinner is 'James Wellbeloved' dog food as that's what the breeder uses! Normally served at 4PM and you soon get a reminder if it's a couple of minutes late! Oh, and don't forget the 'talkies', though my oncologist insists that I have some light excersise in any case. He's more a creature of habit than the kids although they too like a routine. Guess you shouldn't take on either if you can't shoulder the responsibility?

Not sure what tasks the weather will allow in the way of chores yet - it's just turned very dull here but no doubt madam will have a plan.

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Bill, can't think of a more useful way to spend your time (sorry-just read your post after posting mine!). Been helped beside the race track several times albeit years ago,

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Today I'm typing from the floor as I just fell off my seat.  :swoon:

Congrats to O-D and A!  :yahoo:

Like Tony  I was bbq-ing yesterday using the new kit purchased by my MiL and mum.  Nothing too adventurous for the first attempt - probably just as well as it took quite a few attempts to get the charcoal briquettes to catch. Next time I'll place firelighters in layers from the outset. The vegetables were the best bit, IMHO. 

post-4299-0-82165600-1402304931.jpg

Today I shall be mostly cleaning grills! 

Other news, my sporty daughter got a Bronze medal in her category at the weekend diving competition. She was actually more thrilled that her friend, who recently took up diving, did really well in her first competition; I believe that defines sportsmanship. 

Off to buy a tent today as I'm taking my lad on his first camping expedition. When I was a cub and scout we used "Atlantic" tents. Then when I was a venture scout we used "Force Tens". Now I'm in my 50s tents seem to be even smaller!! What's going on?! 

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Like Tony  I was bbq-ing yesterday using the new kit purchased by my MiL and mum.  Nothing too adventurous for the first attempt - probably just as well as it took quite a few attempts to get the charcoal briquettes to catch. Next time I'll place firelighters in layers from the outset. The vegetables were the best bit, IMHO. 

After many years of struggling with manly tasks like making fire and burning meat, I replaced the charcoal BBQ with an easy clean gas fired one last year. However running out of gas on a Sunday evening may reduce the cleaning but doesn't get the dinner cooked! Just off for more "patio gas" now. Aditi has given me a little list (about 20 degrees from vertical if I have to carry it far!) of garden stuff to get as well.

Tony

• Like 3

Morning all. Today I'm typing from the floor as I just fell off my seat.  :swoon:

Congrats to O-D and A!  :yahoo:

attachicon.gif025.JPG

Other news, my sporty daughter got a Bronze medal in her category at the weekend diving competition. She was actually more thrilled that her friend, who recently took up diving, did really well in her first competition; I believe that defines sportsmanship. 

Off to buy a tent today as I'm taking my lad on his first camping expedition. When I was a cub and scout we used "Atlantic" tents. Then when I was a venture scout we used "Force Tens". Now I'm in my 50s tents seem to be even smaller!! What's going on?! 

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

Andy, bought a great device for BBQ grill cleaning from 'Coopers of Stortford' on line. It is a good size plastic bath for the grills and they supply a cleaning liquid as well if you fancy it. I simply chuck the grill parts (though we, like Tony have gone over to gas) into the bath in the garage after cooking and leave to soak overnight - cleaning next day is easy-easy!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Andy, bought a great device for BBQ grill cleaning from 'Coopers of Stortford' on line. It is a good size plastic bath for the grills and they supply a cleaning liquid as well if you fancy it. I simply chuck the grill parts (though we, like Tony have gone over to gas) into the bath in the garage after cooking and leave to soak overnight - cleaning next day is easy-easy!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Agreed... my wife bought another of those useless TV-advertised gimmicks called Oven Magic a while back. You put your grills and oven shelves etc inside a plastic bag, add a measured amount of scientific gloop, leave overnight and hey presto - it actually WORKS! Now that was a surprise.