The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I can't recall so many people being found with this disease in my youth, so is it a reflection of our lifestyle or perhaps it just wasn't talked about back in the 60's?  Otty is the fourth person in our close friends and family that have been diagnosed in the last two years alone.

It certainly put today in perspective...

It is easy to feel yourself surrounded by the disease. After all, both my best friends from school have been taken and then my wife - all from various forms of the disease, and I'm only 65. And ask Ashcombe/Sherry of this parish - one evening in the late '60s she sat in a car with those two mates of mine, and a girlfriend, who is also gone from the same cause.  

We can't halt this tide - but we can try to make sure we live life to the full while protecting our health a little. Even then, news like NHN's makes a mockery.

But the medics are on it, too. Survival rates only improve. Support the sufferers - but be not too downcast yourself.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose people just 'died' before the realisation the cause was cancer of various types - as medical knowledge increases then so does our layman's understanding of disease and the terminology.

Then, as you say, a moments inattention and some very bad luck and someone can be taken in the blink of an eye.

• RMweb Gold

I have been without wifi for some days. I don't really have the time to catch up properly but it is obvious that some bad things have happened for which I am sad. When things happen I try to remember that we only a limited time. If you want to avoid all risk you will miss too much just don't throw life away on risks that aren't worth it.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Neil has worked in the healthcare sector, so of course he is aware and is right. Before our time lots of people died of TB - except in many cases it wasn't that, and now that is gone from everyday life, we discover other underlying diseases. But - again - average life expectancies only increase, "we" are doing better. And cases like Tetleys on RMweb, sent home with no hope, yet still more than fighting well over a year later, prove we can resist, at least for a while, with good advice.

I'm rather sad that iLDottore felt he had to issue a disagree when all I posted was an idea to help someone who obviously doesn't have the culinary skills that the good doctor has! I actually don't use a microwave and am renowned within my dinner club for my light and fluffy rice and so forgive me if I feel rather miffed at the de-merit which I feel to be completely un-justified when as I said, all I was trying to do was smooth someone's path!

Regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

As threatened but earlier - trains!

Car 16 - NHN's favourite.  A 'Paddlebox' car - see the running boards!

post-10195-0-79777900-1402001244_thumb.jpg

A nice line up at Laxey, right two cars are Snaefall Mountain Railway, 3'6'' gauge to allow for the fell brake rail on the 1 in 12 incline, left car is Manx Electric and three foot gauge.

post-10195-0-41272300-1402001283_thumb.jpg

Still at Laxey - I wouldn't show this if her face was visible, but the blonde girl is Jayne.

post-10195-0-14708800-1402001391_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

and am renowned within my dinner club for my light and fluffy rice  ...

How to cook rice can lead to some interesting "discussions" especially if you find yourself in a multicultural social gathering. Whether or not to wash the rice is quite divisive and is one of the few occasions my wife has looked disapprovingly at  Delia Smith on the television as Delia rice wasn't the same as MiL's rice. In the unlikely event of any leftover rice it can be frozen in case Robbie is poorly and needs light meals, he likes rice and fish so much I'm sure he pretends to be ill longer than necessary.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

How to cook rice can lead to some interesting "discussions" especially if you find yourself in a multicultural social gathering. Whether or not to wash the rice is quite divisive and is one of the few occasions my wife has looked disapprovingly at  Delia Smith on the television as Delia rice wasn't the same as MiL's rice.

My dear Japanese friends give me down the banks for not spending sufficient time "bruising" rice before cooking it: that`s throwing it against the side of a large bowl whilst drenched in cold water (that`s the rice; not me!) :laugh: .....evidently, 20 minutes of 'bruising' is about right for perfect rice; so I`m often about 19 minutes short of ricey-perfection. :mosking:

• Like 2

Evening all, bedtime nip beckons all too soon - still elated from today's news and glad that Tony-S got a result as well! Lovely pics Neil, it truly is a wonderful place despite the changeable weather - you however seem to have a special knack when it comes to photography as you seem to be able to arrange for the sun to be present!

Hope you all had a good day and it's 'poets day' soon.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

My dear Japanese friends give me down the banks 

That's not an expression I've come across before.

Had boiled rice today, made too much so I can have fried on Saturday. Going to York for lunch tomorrow to see my Dad's grave and his sole remaining sibling, my Uncle Les who is 91. He was a top link driver when he retired, having started on steam as a cleaner and ended up driving IC 125's. He has some interesting tales to tell, but not many are about railways!

The silver lining of the cancer thing is that we have beaten so many other diseases which claimed previous generations. I don't think that I would be here if it wasn't for modern Diabetes treatment and Angiography.  My ex-wife worked in elderly and palliative care, and likened it to rust in cars-it is probably going on in all of us, but in many cases engine failure or an accident can happen before the rust causes the car to be scrapped.

Ed

• Like 5

Neil

you mentioned "Fell" braking..

as seen on this

attachicon.gifFell loco (1280x853).jpg

in New Zealand.

and a pic of underneath

attachicon.giffell brakes (1280x853).jpg

The Rimutaka incline (1:15) was worked by these little tank loco's. They gripped the Fell rail to climb the incline, being formed every 3 coaches or so in a train, which meant much re-marshalling at the bottom and top of the hill. Special Fell brake vans were used for descending. I've just Googled it to check my facts and see that there is a project to re-build the line.

Ed

Morning all. And it looks like a good one in la belle France!

Arrived yesterday - journey uneventful - but the internet was recalcitrant. Nice unpretentious meal in Mortain, and mixed, but mostly good, news about grandson.

Shopping this morning, including looking at new lawnmower, and painting stuff later on. Glam...

• Like 3

Good Morning all & happy Poets day! 

Neils'  photos of the Manx Electric remind me of the holiday I had there in '71 or '72 - the year the Laxy wheel re-opened, I have some photos of that day.  Seems to me to look a lot neater & tidier now though?  

I spent a lot of time last evening reading through some of the D day stuff  on the news sites. Including quite a bit of memories from the "home front"...I have to admit my eyes were quite moist.....

Lets hope that today is not as fraught as some of those recently? 

Make the most of your day, 

Trev.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a very sunny Leeds!
Her indoors has a day off due to exams so she is helping with the shopping at more reasons...
Later I am off to Hull to see eldest, bring back some of his "stuff" and to umpire a cricket T20..
Have a great Friday!
Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5

Morning all. Beautiful sunshine this morning although I am feeling a little tired after being late to bed last night. Sarah and Amber returned home for the weekend and she arrived back last night with news that the carpets have started to be fitted in the new house. She was delighted to see the new fridge freezer up and running too. The lateness was caused by long chats as we caught up on what each of us have been up to since we last saw each other and catching up on all the news regarding the new house - from her observations and my discussions with the builders and solicitors.

Today the student has a non-contact day so I actually get to do some teaching. Hopefully the weather will hold so we get outside for P.E. The juniors will be off to their weekend PGL camp so the school should be quite peaceful this afternoon.

I have still not made a final decision regarding the SENCO position - I think I would like to speak to the new head teacher about his expectations. At the moment I am definitely leaning towards the "it's not for me camp".

Enjoy your Friday!

*Edited for typos!

Edited by andyram

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very pleasant here in South Essex. It is forecast to be quite warm (24C) later today. 

I am not planning to do too much today. Aditi will be out at a meal with colleagues this evening. At the HE ()higher education part of the college this may be the last Friday that the part-time (including hourly paid lecturers) will be there so it seemed like a good day to go out. One of the part-time staff also works at Aditi's previous college and he asked her if it were true that she was returning to become head of their "Academy" (GCSE and A levels mainly). Funny how rumours start. She will be going to the old college for a day soon, but only as a member of a team assessing their Access  to HE offering.

We spent a long time chatting with Matthew via Skype last night. He had obtained the appropriate visa from Australia in the afternoon (he was very impressed how efficient it was compared to other places he has been) and was booking flights to Melbourne. He just wanted to talk through the dates etc with us to make sure he wasn't doing anything silly. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

.........We spent a long time chatting with Matthew via Skype last night. He had obtained the appropriate visa from Australia in the afternoon (he was very impressed how efficient it was compared to other places he has been) and was booking flights to Melbourne. He just wanted to talk through the dates etc with us to make sure he wasn't doing anything silly.

Tony

I'm sure Matthew will love Melbourne (pronounced Melburn, by the way!). It has a real buzz about it and we preferred it to Sydney.

I might not be on here much in the next few days as we're visiting friends in Colton, near Rugeley, Staffs., then to family in Crewe.

Hope you all enjoy whatever the w/e brings.

• Like 1

Morning all from the boring borough. Its Friday thank feck.

MISSING: modelling mojo, last seen several weeks ago, answers to the name of "what the hell were you thinking", if found etc etc etc.

Not much to say really. After all I do reside in the boring borough where nothing of note ever happens. Have a good weekend all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

A lovely sunny morning here. A complete contrast to the rough weather in the channel 70 years  ago. 

I hope this doesn't sound trite but a few weeks ago we came home on the Mont St Michel - a large car ferry and fair to say the weather was rough. Goodness only knows how much worse it would have felt in a smaller landing craft with the fear of battle ahead. Total respect! 

I thought you might be interested in a couple of local links to D-Day.

Bernard Montgomery made his home for many years in this area and he now rests in a local church yard

He was particularly proud of the lawn he had rescued at his home and, peculiarly, was reputed to ban any women walking on it. I'm assuming that was down to high heels impacting the lawn?! When my daughter was a toddler she used to play on said lawn as it has a large trampoline and play house! He'd be spinning! 

The second link is railway related. Shortly before D-Day the allied leaders gathered to go over the plans. This happened in a railway siding near Droxford on the Meon Valley Line. Apparently the longest siding in southern England and with the advantage that the train could be shunted into a high-sided cutting to reduce its exposure to air attack.

Best. Andy

• Like 1

Morning All,

I am rather late on parade this morning having had rather a lot to do in the office.  It doesn't show any signs of quietening down either!

Still, it is a long weekend...

Have a good one everybody...