The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Neil - nothing any of us can say will undo the loss, the sense of robbery of a life still with time to run and enjoy.

Comfort the lady - I survived quite well alone in the early days of bereavement, but I'm not typical. Help her with the dreary tasks that death then triggers and the law requires.

Just another reminder that we should all live life to the full while we can. We truly never know.

• RMweb Premium

AndrewC, you have highlighted a particular problem that seems to haunt me with that picture! Wherever we go, Cologne, Paris, Moscow, Prague, Vienna, Minsk, Helsinki, Bratislava, Budapest, Luxembourg, Brussels and many, many, more, I get scaffolding in my photographs of the Cathedral!! Is it only me?

Jock.

No.  <_<

post-4299-0-37502200-1401806755.jpg

post-4299-0-19039200-1401806779.jpg

post-4299-0-06533000-1401806812.jpg

Trip to opticians went well. Invested in some artificial tears as my eyes dry out on occasion.

Baz

I find looking at my credit card bill helps. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As noted recently, my new avatar has been received with various forms of derision and ridicule, which is good forum sport, of course, dammit.

Sitting with Steven & June in front of the bar opposite the paddock entrance at Le Mans on Saturday, a mature Frenchman noticed my slightly unusual camera and complimented me on it. I said I'd bought my first Nikon on 13th June 1970 - the day of one of the finest 24 hr races ever seen, with many factory Porsches and Ferraris - and he said he'd bought his first Nikon in 1968! I offered him the camera to examine, and this was the result. I am tempted to use it as my avatar, pending my VIP having another try in 5 weeks time. I have no idea of the chap's name, of course.

post-4295-0-79868300-1401807453_thumb.jpg

Nikon Df, with 105mm f2 defocus lens.

• Like 15

As noted recently, my new avatar has been received with various forms of derision and ridicule, which is good forum sport, of course, dammit.

Sitting with Steven & June in front of the bar opposite the paddock entrance at Le Mans on Saturday, a mature Frenchman noticed my slightly unusual camera and complimented me on it. I said I'd bought my first Nikon on 13th June 1970 - the day of one of the finest 24 hr races ever seen, with many factory Porsches and Ferraris - and he said he'd bought his first Nikon in 1968! I offered him the camera to examine, and this was the result. I am tempted to use it as my avatar, pending my VIP having another try in 5 weeks time. I have no idea of the chap's name, of course.

attachicon.gifIHD_0437a.jpg

Very thoughtful and introspective pose - I'd vote yes for the avatar, NOT that there's anything wrong with the current one mind ;)

Edited by Ian Abel

Whether to report the weather, that's the question :)

Was 14 when I got up, now passing 18 for 25. Crystal clear, a light breeze, ZERO humidity and destined to be the perfect day - of course I'm working...

I do have the luxury of looking out through the home-office window and wandering if the mood takes me, of course, so there are some benefits.

Decoder just arrived for my Bachmann N class, so I may use a tea-break opportunity to install and test :senile:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looks distinctly French to me - must be the razor blades they sell over there ;)

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, just catching up. sorry to read your news Neil, nothing major to report here all quiet on the western front as they say.

Just making a list of stuff required from my visit to the Wigan exhibition at the weekend.

Just need to keep said list safe and hidden lol!

Enjoy whats left of the day

Neil, condolences on the loss of your friend. Words just never seem to be enough.

Ian: I can't use a photo avatar. I don't appear in photographs, have a shadow, or have a reflection.

Not a good day: long car journey to attend my Great-Aunt`s funeral.......several weeks have elapsed since her death; as in that Borough, there`s a long wait for an appointment-window to hold services/burials {such delays in 'arrangements' seem very hard on those in mourning} :nono:

A series of grueling "High-Church" service/s followed, which clearly over-taxed those already terribly distressed in bereavement..........and then my Great Uncle (who`s 89) suffered a heart attack at the wake and had to be de-fibbed and whisked off to intensive care. :O

There`s a lot to be said for 'no-fuss' and prompt final arrangements. :(

Neil`s update is absolutely shocking........a devastating event.

Edited by Debs.

This is an excellent photo; your expression puts me in mind of the occasions when O/H would hand over our camera to one of the offspring to use and would appear slightly concerned. Perhaps you had the VIP in mind at the time? Can't imagine anyone objecting to its use as your avatar.

• RMweb Premium

Always glad to get an umpiring question right ... shame it has to be an England batsman "run out" while cheating backing up.. Mr Butler was warned....

• Like 2

So walking on water is just a stroll in the park for you?

The exact opposite. SWMBO kept touching my head while we were touring Köln Cathedral to make sure I wasn't about to burst into flames. :jester:  

I have been known to walk on water at times. Winter time to be exact.

Really saddened to hear of your loss Neil. My condolences.

I also hope that Debs is recuperating from her trying day,

I must say, I am quite taken by Monsieur Oldduders (almost) Gallic countenance. All that is missing is a Gitanes or a Gauloise drooping from the lower lip!

Will bid you all a Bon Soir, off to cook dinner and then watch a dog themed TV programme scheduled for this evening

Dreadful news, Neil!

Thoughts are with all involved.

Ian's proposed avatar.

Keriste almighty! Remember there may be children looking in here!

Please give advanced warning so that I can cover the mirrors.

(It's OK really).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I found one of my older locos recently. It still seemed to have a motor that worked so here it is now about 30 years after I last did anything to it. Then it had new buffers and couplings, today it got a decoder. Progress.

post-6719-0-92785900-1401819347_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Sheesh, what a day.  Thank you all for your concerns, we are touched, as always, by ER's supportive nature.

Dealing with work today was trying, we are all quite close in such a small community of course, and Gaz worked for Government too (IT type) so he was well known and loved.  Luckily the Director has taken control, and is cutting needless things off at the pass while we all come to terms with it all.

The accident was sheer bad luck, a second more or less......you know how it works.

Sad of Andreas.

• RMweb Gold

This is an excellent photo; your expression puts me in mind of the occasions when O/H would hand over our camera to one of the offspring to use and would appear slightly concerned. Perhaps you had the VIP in mind at the time? Can't imagine anyone objecting to its use as your avatar.

I don't think the VIP is ever very far from my mind, and she is facing a trying weekend ahead with close family being told things that will make jaws drop. Your recent avatar has a sort of radiance about it - you must tell us the secret formula in Photoshop!